We REALLY enjoyed this film...

Author: jk90 from USA
27 April 2004

I initially rented the DVD at Blockbuster for my kids to see -- one is eight and one twelve. But then I sat to watch it with them -- and I got hooked.

It started slow, but then picked up the pace after about fifteen minutes. The story is a little thin, but the animation, the production designs (air ships, weapons, robots, costumes, etc.) are VERY creative. You can tell the designers spent a lot of time creating them. We kept rewinding just to see all the background details we missed.

The action sequences are GREAT, too! In fact, they're BETTER than most live action sci-fi films I've seen in years. The climactic battle scene alone had us glued to the screen.

Like I said, I rented the DVD, but I plan on buying it now. This is a movie we will watch several times.

JK

Flawed for veteran viewers, but not without delights for younger eyes

Author: MwKaluta from United States
2 July 2006

While the voice talent is a tad heavy-handed (other voices/actors might have raised the over- all level of the production: perhaps there is a subtitled version somewhere?) younger viewers will find a lot about this film to amaze and intrigue them. Jaded viewers will wince from time to time, but there's a charm to the piece that left me smiling and nodding my head, wishing I'd had Areo Troopers to watch when I was 15.

My chief salute goes to the design team: the retro-future world is fully realized. The film is full of cleverly designed machines, admirable costuming and inspired pyrotechnics. It was these triumphs that kept my 50+ eyes on the screen to the point where I began to care about the story.

If you are a fan of well-thought-out alternate-future machinery (as in films like Wings of Honneamise) you'll find Aero Troopers rewarding, and worth toughing it out through the sometimes artless dialog.

For kids, both young and old

Author: mstomaso from Vulcan
1 April 2007

Aerotroopers is a cute, interesting fantasy which takes place on a planet without a solid surface. People live in tree villages floating in the sky and a giant beast (Nemeclous) is wreaking havoc on everybody and everything. The only thing as dangerous as Nemeclous himself is the slipstream - a raging torrent of air which destroys everything is its path.

Young Joshua wants to fly very badly and invents a glider early in his life. Nemeclous comes along and destroys his village, but his glider allows him to escape. He is eventually saved by an aerotrooper (Qyun) who takes him back to his airship (a fantastic dirigible) and recruits him as an aerocadet.

The story that follows is epic in nature, as it takes Joshua through his training, up to his young adulthood and the beginnings of a sweet and innocent romance, all with Nemeclous hovering nearby waiting to strike. In order to keep the story clear and to tie together many of the tangential scenes, a voice-over is provided. I don't usually enjoy voice-overs, but this one works.

The only weak links in this charming little story are the human animations and the soundtrack - both of which are a little painful. The ships look great, the back-story is surprisingly interesting, and the action sequences are fun.

The film is definitely appropriate for kids, though there is plenty of non-graphic violence, and the story does involve the death of a couple of the major characters - so be careful if you have a young one who is likely to be sensitive to this.

A Strikingly Involving Fantasy Tale

Author: Michael Daly (fanstp43@aol.com) from United States
5 January 2007

The Nemeclous Crusade is unlike anything else in science fantasy. Combining superior CGI visuals with the spirit of 1930s sci-fi magazines, it combines to keep the viewer interested and then some as it proceeds through its world of the sky. The story involves Joshua, a boy who becomes a warrior for a sky-based civilization that is battling a gigantic sky-ship that resembles both a whale and a shark. Joshua's relationship with his mentor and with a girl who lands on their sky-ship and assists in the battle with the whale/shark sky-ship becomes a focal point of the story, told throughout with the feel of a chapter of a biography. The film succeeds in making Joshua a fascinating individual and compels the viewer to see his struggles with an intensity that caught me by surprise the more I watched the film.

The surreality of this world of the sky easily draws the viewer in and keeps the viewer fascinated to the end, making for a sleeper science-fantasy triumph.

Aero-Troopers The Nemeclous Crusade

Author: thorne1 from United States
28 March 2006

I think the movie was worth watching the idea of free flight is great,and the action sequences are good.And as far as the animation i believe it could have been a bit better the model work and color were great as was the background the dialog was suppose to sound philosophical this was a movie about people who lived in the sky and are supposed to be wise. i believe this movie is not a great movie but a good one,it does have some violence but nothing like you would find in a slasher movie. so i feel it can be watched by the everyone,i enjoyed the show as did my family but with all the films shortcoming's it's worth renting.

An Enchanting Sci-Fi Tale

Author: Doramius from Las Vegas, NV
22 March 2004

This is quite an interesting story that has many good points to it. The focus group is more towards early teens who like to read Fantasy/Sci-Fi books. It is a well laid out plot and a great story line. The CGI animation is done very well, too. Its definitely worth to rent and watch at least once. This is probably one of those movies that will get viewed by a young crowd, become lost from low end sales, and revived 20 years later through chat groups in reminiscence. Hopefully, this will hang in a little better than described, as it is a very good movie.

A young boy whose home and family in the sky is destroyed, gets adopted by a group of guardians who do what they can to protect the skies. The boy vows to hunt and destroy the mechanical monster, Nemeclous, that practically annihilated his way of life.

Its very hard to add more information without entering spoilers for the movie. Again, this is a rent once to find out its personal appeal. Definitely worth adding to a collection of a Fantasy/Sci-Fi fan.

An Excellent Animated Story

Author: wmhogg from Madison, WI
19 August 2006

I am too old to have grown up playing video games, but I also am young enough that Ray Harryhausen was before my time. I am an animation fan and have seen most animated movie features and watch anime series weekly on DVD.

So, after saying that, I loved this film. I am talking about the story, and the way it made me feel. The innocence, beauty, and noble ideals of the characters were very refreshing. It was a sweet movie.

I think my son might have problems with the animation, as he has played video games most of his life, and as I've seen from the other comments, the expectations for animation is very high from these individuals. But for me, the characters appearing puppet-like was endearing. The scenery was beautiful and the colors were marvelous.

I watched AeroTroopers twice and will recommend it to my son, with the hope that he'll enjoy the story and not worry that the animation does not match up to that of his latest video game.

Uh-oh! Boredom alert! (And some minor SPOILERS!)

Author: etaonrishdluc from Omaha, NE
16 June 2004

I can't speak for the tastes or perspective of the previous reviewer, and perhaps this would appeal to young kids, but for the more mature, discriminating viewer (especially sci-fi fans,) this is bad, bad, BAD. I almost stopped watching this movie before it was a third over, but to be fair to it I wanted to see if it ever improved. It didn't.

The story started seeming to borrow from Larry Niven's superb novel, _The Integral Trees_, using a a giant tree floating in the upper atmosphere of a planet as the very young protagonist's home, which I thought was really cool. But you never see much of this incredible environment, and NEVER anything of the planet below. Neither the first scene nor the narration give us any decent intro to the tree society or the boy's background before there's a tree-destroying attack, by a giant robot whale, no less! Our young hero is rescued by the Aero-Troopers, sort of a military order protecting the tree societies, it seemed, but all of which seem to be on just one WOODEN ship, continually aloft, focused almost solely on chasing this monster. I kept expecting the story to jump ahead maybe ten years so it might be plausible for the young protagonist to become a adult hero (it would be far better if it had.) But...he stays pretty much the same age throughout as he's trained to be an aero-trooper up to the climax, like a prodigy Anakin Skywalker. I won't spoil you with any more of the plot, just in case you REALLY want to see this.

However... As much as I love CGI movies, this was as BORING as _Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within_ was confusing. The CGI itself is mediocre, and the animation was like watching computerized marionettes. There are only brief references to aspects of the Troopers and various other groups or societies--no fleshing out in any kind of detail. Worse, the characters were as wooden as their movements--I'm not kidding. The dialogue was atrocious, and there is virtually no character development and little enjoyable interaction between them. The story and its scope were at the same time, grandiose and simplistic. What little humor there was reminded me of anime-style humor--again, boring. Even the surprise twist in the climax was laughably implausible. It just made no sense at all.

Bottom line: this movie came off as if it were written by a ten-year-old boy or someone who hasn't read much science fiction at all, let alone seen many good science fiction movies. Overall, this is really amateurish work by the Korean studio which did this. DO NOT BOTHER RENTING IT, unless it's for your kids. IF, however, they're imaginative or mature for their ages, even they will be bored. You have been warned.

Slow

Author: philip-1 from Chicago, IL
5 September 2004

Badly written, slow sci-fi animation story. Characters are cardboard which perhaps fits the puppet like animation. Miserable pacing of the story.

Action sequences are not edited well and are difficult to follow. Background animation is miserable and often out of focus. Obviously this is a low budget attempt.

The dialogue is ludicrous. They all seem to talk like Yoda from Star Wars? Why?

There are good ideas here; just poorly executed.

Don't waste your time. Not even worth a rental.

At least it didn't have talking animals

Author: telex1-1 from United States
14 July 2006

In today's computer animation age this film is at the bottom of the barrel. The animation is jerky,lip syncing is non existent and the overall look of the film is amateurish. However I've always had a soft spot for small studios that attempt big things. There no doubt that with companies like Pixar,Dreamworks and Blue Sky studios film like this are a joke.

Nueart Pictures tried to produce a science fantasy about a world of floating land masses,where no gravity exist, and dirigible are the main means of transport. I love computer animation yet with the exception of Pixar studios's The Incredibles, all the big studios are making are comedies with talking animals. And only small animation houses (mostly European and Japanese) are attempting to use this medium for more mature audience.

The story is about a boy (Joshua) who dreamed of the flying the winds. This takes him on an adventure against a mechanical whale that has been terrorizing the skies. The pace is set through narration by an older Joshua via The Wonder Years TV series. The story shares bits of Moby Dick and Frankenstein. There is some violence and death so this isn't intended for young children. And that's why I'm giving it five stars out of ten. It would have been more if they had polished the story more. However they did avoid the easy path of creating some flying talking animals, a princess and have an unlikely nerdy hero learning a life lessons while saving the day.

It is my hope that one of the major studios will attempt in the near future to give science fantasy genre a try without cartoon-like traits. May I suggest Final Fantasy 7: Advent Children. Which I recommend before looking at this valiant attempt but utter failure.