IMDb > Rosario Tijeras (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Rosario Tijeras More at IMDbPro »

Promising Beginning of a Messy and Dull Soap-Opera

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
5 November 2008

In 1989, in Medellin, the prostitute and killer Rosario Tijeras (Flora Martínez) has an affair with the playboy Emilio (Manolo Cardona) and is introduced to his best friend Antonio (Unax Ugalde) in a night-club. The relationship of Rosario with Emilio is limited to sex and she befriends Antonio, who is in love with her. After the death of her brother Jonhefe (Rodrigo Oviedo), Rosario and Antonio become closer and she falls in love for him. But Rosario is chased by her enemies from the past.

I had a great expectation for this movie based on the awards highlighted on the cover of the DVD but after watching it, it became a huge disappointment. The plot has a promising beginning, mostly because of the erotic scenes with the sexy Flora Martínez and her naked body. Her mysterious character is intriguing in the beginning. However, the dull story goes nowhere and I had trouble to write a summary since nothing happens but a silly triangle of love in the landscape of the underworld of Medellin in a messy soap-opera. The characters are awfully developed: for example, Rosario Tijeras is one of the most ambiguous characters I have ever seen. Is she an expensive prostitute and a killer, and also a drug-dealer or what? Where is her money charging large amounts for sex and murders? She seems to be a powerful and cold woman in the beginning, but she is disclosed extremely fragile like a housewife along the story. Is the upper-class Emilio just a playboy? And who is Antonio? Why are these guys connected to the underworld of drugs? The celebration with the dead body of Jonhefe is funny but totally out of the context. The dinner at Emilio's home is another terrible moment of this forgettable flick. My vote is five.

Title (Brazil): "Rosario Tijeras"

Just waiting for the DVD

Author: daidreemer3 from United States
15 September 2005

I went to go see this movie this summer in my visit to Colombia. I was completely under the movie's spell, went to see it twice. The character is so raw, so corrupted, but they demonstrate the beauty that can come from someone who's lived in her own hell. My family is originally from Colombia, so I understand the situations well. I saw a comment on a message board here saying that she wasn't a convincing hit-man...obviously you aren't familiar with the situations in Colombia, I've known of many female hit men that were beautiful...they just grew up in the wrong neighborhoods. Beauty isn't only found in the high-class society...it's everywhere, and if anything, her beauty gives her even more power. The fact that the movie goes back and forth, always returning the beginning of everything, and relating it to the end keeps you in tuned, its clever that the director chose not to point out the changes in time throughout the film...it keeps it flowing...no interruptions from the world that this movie has sucked you in. The main character has such a beautiful pain within her, you come out of the theater in love with her...whether you're are a man or woman..she'll dazzle you. The actors in this movie did an incredible job as well.

Overall, this movie mixes the drama of life, and laughs at it at some points. You're guaranteed to cry, laugh, gasp, claw your nails in your seat...and come out replaying all the scenes in your head.

Superb drama and an astonishing actress

Author: juanmlleras from Colombia
15 September 2005

In MHO this is probably the best film shot in Colombia to date. This film excels primarily due to the electrifying performance of the Colombian actress Flora Martinez in the role of Rosario Tijeras, a young and dangerous girl that works as a hit-woman to the Medellin drug cartel in the late 1980's.

Not only does the beautiful and talented Ms. Martinez realistically portraits the tormented girl that always gives a kiss before shooting to death his victims, but the rest of the cast gives a highly convincing performance. I didn't blink seeing the picture and neither will you....

Spanish actor Unax Ugalde gives an excellent performance as Antonio, the only pure soul to come close to the star-crossed Rosario. Some failings in pronouncing the local 'paisa' accent of Medellin, IMHO, doesn't in any way diminish his convincing performance.

Colombian actor Manolo Cardona, acting as Rosario's boyfriend Emilio, did also a very powerful performance, although he doesn't reach his co-stars levels.

Equally convincing are the performances of Mexican actor Rodrigo Oviedo as the hit-man Johnefe, Rosario's brother, and of Colombian actor Alonso Arias as the dangerous Rosario's former boyfriend Ferney.

The Mexican director Emilio Maillé did a very good job in this, his first full length feature film. Congratulations! The Marcelo Figueras's adapted script from the original novel by Jorge Franco maintains all the elements of this tale which will become part of Latin America's mythology. In my opinion, the Figueras's script clears some blind spots of the book

Filmed on location in Medellin, including the old living quarters of the henchmen of the Medellin drug cartel, this Mexican-American-Colombian production never looses pace in a frantic and crude vertigo of sex, drugs, tragedy, and violence.

Don't miss it!

It's harder to love than killing

Author: alediazvelez30 from Colombia
6 April 2010

I live in Medellin, Colombia and i believe this movie truly portraits the reality of many young women in our country, of course this is not in every city or in all Medellin, there is more to Colombia that you see in this movie, it's not all wars, etc. It's a great movie which in my opinion is a good representation of Jorge Franco's book, which is great by the way. It shows not only a reality of Colombian women but of people across the world, who live in their own hells. It's a movie that not only talks about wars, drugs, poverty, etc. but about feelings, about love and hatred and how the books says "amar es mas difícil que matar" it means to love is harder than killing. It is very entertaining and Flora Martinez does a great job, Rosario is what she shoes...beauty, strength, weaknesses. A very interesting character.

Rosario Tijeras

Author: Jorge Barros (jorba60@yahoo.com) from Colombia
25 September 2005

"Very good film". After it to have seen 4 times I believe that I can give a commentary on the matter. Film based on the work "ROSARIO TIJERAS" of Jorge Franco. A woman of low class in Medellín - Colombia in 1989 tells the history of Rosario, in the heat of apogee of "Pablo Escobar". Rosario is a young woman who has had many traumas in her childhood, and all that influence of its JhonF brother and his circulate social: Communes of Medellin (a sector of Medellín of invasion in which there is much violence), takes them very noticeable in her. Rosario is killer, aggressive, dominant and has had many men, but at the same time she is sentimental and tender with whom it wants. On the other hand, Antonio and Emilio are inseparable friends of high class who know themselves from children. The ideology of Antonio front to the love is seen very noticeable; then it has the ideal of a perfect love that transfers the barriers until contemplating to give the life by Rosario. Antonio is timid, sentimental and a little introvert. In spite of being "paisa" and to be influenced by a cultural current "Machista"; Antonio is all the opposite.

Emilio is a little dominant, is brave, dangerous, and most of the time he has luck. Also he is very "mujeriego"(he had so much women) until Rosario arrives that returns it totally crazy. "All become crazy by Rosario". These different personalities Intercross in a fascinating history of action, drama, love, pain and death.

OPINION:

This film is spectacular. The way in which they worked in the details surprised to me. Details like the color of the nails, the earrings with letter "R" of Rosario, the clocks, the light, the necklaces, the handle of leather that always took Rosario in its left arm to cover its scars, the Cédulas(document of identity) old, the dollar in which Emilio took the drug, the oration that said JhonF before going to make its work, the makeup, the motorcycle old in which Emilio and Rosario went to speed, the aquarium in the Bar, the hour of the clock in the hospital, music, the atmosphere, the representation of San Gregorio(Doctor Sant), etc. And the subjects work them of excellent way like for example the naked ones, the religion in relation to the killers, the social classes, the murder, the pain, and the violation, was impeccable the representation with the fried egg. I believe that no other actress had served for this paper like Flora Martinez did it. That is worth the trouble to see Colombian cinema, although in fact it has really been Colombian-Mexican production.

COMPARISON BOOK/MOVIE:

The film definitively has many differences with respect to the book, in spite of being based on this.

1) In the film, JhonF gave a necklace to him to Antonio. And Antonio gave it to Rosario before they buried to JhonF. By the opposite in the book it does after they bury it.

2) In the film, Ferney killed Rosario. On the other hand in the Ferney book it died before Rosario.

3) In the film Rosario it has the white skin. In contradiction, in the book to her they describe of skin cinnamon to it.

4) In the book, JhonF orders to Antonio that takes care of of Rosario and soon it kisses it on the mouth. Whereas in the film they omit the kiss.

5) In the film it spent almost 1 year so that Rosario and Antonio will be re-find again themselves. On the other hand in the book they happened more than 3 years.

6) In the film, Antonio knew where it was left the house of Doña Ruby because it was accompanying to Rosario when JhonF died, whereas in the book nobody knew where Doña Ruby lived.

7) In the film the hour of the clock is: 3:30, and in book 4:30. * It could continue with many more comparisons but there is no sufficient space.

CLOTHES

The clothes do not fit with the time. Then in 1989 still they were not used "Jeans Descaderados" and Rosario uses many of these.

PUBLICITY

Within the film there is very violent publicity of the beer "Pilsen", appears in two takings: 1) When JhonF goes in motorcycles it appears a truck that takes the logo of Pilsen. 2) When Antonio arrives at a house to the outskirts where this being left Rosario it takes in the hand a box of the same beer. Also it is possible to be said that that beer did not exist at the time at which history is developed. Publicity to "COLOMBIANA" soda water can be observed in addition that by the certain thing I am very well because the package is old.

FILLINGS And INTERFERENCES

Definitively I leave much to be desired the paper of Catalina Aristizabal (Creta); then she was the annoying friend of Emilio.

CONCLUSION

The film "ROSARIO TIJERAS" is very good, I recommend them. I recommend to them that if they are going it to see, read the first book, or the contrary. As for me hardly that leaves the original DVD I will buy it.

** ANNOTATIONS **

*Paisa: person of the interior of Colombia that is located from Antioquia to the Eje Cafetero(sector of Colombia). *Machista: masculine current that tries to demonstrate the power of the man on the woman. *Mujeriego: that it has many women.

BY: JORGE BARROS E-MAIL: jorba60@hotmail.

Slow-paced, repetitive rendering of a decent story

Author: bodomo from USA
6 June 2008

This movie has an interesting, albeit somewhat formulaic, film-noir story as its foundation.

However, the movie ended up being too tedious to watch because of the excessively long segments devoted to hammering the same message time and again.

For instance, the wake and burial of one of the characters includes some creative twists---but ends up taking ~40 minutes of the film, so long before it moves on people in the audience start checking their watches.

This could have been of "City of god" caliber, but will never be. I'm not sure why it reached such a cult status in Colombia.

La Chimba

Author: (jfp@dmsas.com) from United States
26 January 2006

The movie is one of the best made Colombian Films I have ever seen. I have seen many Colombian films and this one is up there with the best. The sound, cinematography and detail is great and refreshing since most Colombian films suffer from lack of this elements sometimes. Flora and the guys performances are phenomenal, their accent is not very good (Manolo Cardona's is the closest) so if you know the accent of that region really well, it turns you off a bit. But still is a great, exaggerated adaptation of the book. The way they show certain strong moments of the story with such subtlety was beautiful. My only complaint(small one) is the music...they play late 90s sounding tech no which was not the music of 1989. If you want to see other recent Colombian films, I suggest: "El Rey", "Perder es Cuestion De Metodo", "El Baul Rosado", "La Sombra del Caminante" which came out in the last 2 years. I am very proud of this product as a fellow COlombian

Some comments (High Spoilers)

Author: Andy Garcia from Guadalajara, Mexico
16 April 2006

1.- The entire death & burial part was highly shocking and touching, who would of thought of them taking the corpse to the bar and celebrate the way they did, simply impressive.

2.- What Rosario said is so true "Tu eres bueno, y los que son buenos sufren mucho" (You are a good guy and the ones who are good suffer a lot). This really reached my very nerve.

3.- The Entire acting was Fabulous, most Colombian movies should be like this.

4.- A question. Why did Jonhefe killed her in the end?, Was he in love with her too? Regards

Love, hit-woman style

Author: lastliberal from United States
11 April 2007

This was a really good Columbian film that starred Flora Martínez (Proof of Life) as a hit-woman who falls in love. That sounds like a formulaic movie that has been made a thousand times, but Martinez really brings home the film in a way that will keep you watching.

I don't know much about Columbia, but i was really fascinated with the celebration of death before the funeral of Jonhefe. They borough him to the bar and sat him in a chair and had a party, including a lap dance for the dead man. Makes it kind of a grind house film, but it was a film about love and loss.

It's worth a look just to see Martinez.

Very good, hard-hitting

Author: SpanOws from Spain
1 June 2006

Really enjoyed the movie, which is a hard-hitting tale of drugs sex and death in 1980's Colombia. It is all shot in what appears to be the actual locations in the streets and poor barrios of Medellin and acting by all the actors is very good and realistic, the music brings back many good memories and although the film is extremely drug and sex orientated it continues on a, reasonably easy to follow, central theme with great flashbacks etc to relate the story. Flora Martinez is superb...and very, very sexy! :-) I hadn't heard of this film before and I see that the original comments were in 2005, it has just been released (not sure if it is limited or general release) in Spain (I'm in Barcelona) but it is well worth going to see - not for children or those of a weak disposition! ;-)