IMDb > Twelve Mile Road (2003) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Twelve Mile Road (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Now THIS was a bad girl; she got nicer

Author: vchimpanzee
5 October 2003

Stephen Landis (Tom Selleck) lived on a farm in Idaho, but his wife Angela (Wendy Crewson) wanted to live in the city and become a lawyer. So she and their daughter Dulcie (Maggie Grace) left Stephen alone.

As the movie opens, Dulcie is 16, wearing too much makeup, and getting a tattoo. She is such a troublemaker her mother believes a summer on her father's farm would do her good. Meanwhile, Stephen's girlfriend Leah (Anna Gunn) wants to move in with him, along with her teenage daughter Roxanne (Tegan Moss). As you might expect, Dulcie causes problems, but she is not the only one. Surprisingly, she and Roxanne become friends, but Roxanne's troubles are not Dulcie's fault.

Maggie Grace gives a wonderful performance, as Dulcie goes from delightfully nasty to just nasty to merely delightful. Dulcie is not really that bad once the movie progresses, though she hates the farm and becomes quite depressed. Going back to the city at the end of the summer is not the answer, however.

One thing that makes this movie distinctive is its emphasis on Christianity. Stephen's neighbors are among the few real Christians shown on TV, and the term 'born again' is actually used by one character. There are serious moral dilemmas, and the solutions are not perfect.

This movie had its ups and downs, and it appeared at one point that all was lost, but things started looking up again.

Go Idaho

Author: wordsmith_57 from United States
3 January 2009

As a resident of Idaho, I couldn't resist watching this movie, plus it had Tom Selleck. The storyline was common enough, divorced parents, daughter lives with mom, daughter is a wreck, mom dumps daughter on dad who has a farm, and daughter goes from bad to tolerable. Actually, the plot works, simply because everyone plays the part like real people. It's almost like we stepped into a reality show. We don't get to see every little thing lined out (hmm, we have to think for ourselves? that's different), and there is no great resolution. Life is like that sometimes--most of the time.

This was a pleasant way to spend the evening, but not a terribly memorable movie. Tom played a farmer fairly well, and the rest of the cast filled in the movie all right. The only character that didn't get a chance to develop was Leah, Tom's live-in girlfriend. She wasn't allowed much range, yet the one line she delivers about wishing she hadn't ever met Tom's character felt real and sincere.

If it comes around on TV or if you want a soft free watch from HULU-give this one a try.

good film

Author: Mikko_Elo_
21 January 2005

i didn't even know this was made for television...a good small film with good acting. maggie grace and tom selleck have great chemistry as father and daughter, the rest of the cast isn't bad either. the quiet pace fits well with the country atmosphere, and dulcie's journey to finding herself again is believable. the most impressive scene in the movie, for me, was when dulcie ran into the forest, her dad catches her, she screams and her dad asks 'are you crazy?'. that's where the chemistry really clicks, i get the feeling some other actors might have completely ruined the film. 12 mile road is not a very original film, not even particularly thought-provoking or profound, but it's a great pick to watch a film with your girlfriend that both of you can enjoy. recommended unknown film.

Tom Selleck was Great

Author: whpratt1 from United States
16 March 2009

Enjoyed this picture which dealt with a farmer, Stephen Landis, (Tom Selleck) who lives with his wife and his wife's daughter.

It seems that Stephen was married to another woman and they also had a daughter and his ex-wife was having problems with her teenage daughter and decides to send her to her father for a few months during the Summer.

The teenage girl is from the city and on the wild side of life and going on a farm will simply blow her mind completely away, which it does.

There are all kinds of problems that face this family during the Summer and of course, one of the girls becomes pregnant along with cows as well.

Nice drama and Tom Selleck gave an outstanding performance in this film which was photographed in The State of Idaho. Good viewing.

Divorce doesn't mean a couple stops loving each other.

Author: preston8 from United States
19 June 2005

I thoroughly enjoyed this down-to-earth story of a divorced couple who get together again, love blossoms once more and a family is back together again. The entire cast does a great job in this very touching tale with a good message. I am very pleased that such an appealing film was even considered for production in today's hateful film climate where almost every movie has to have flaming car wrecks, burning buildings, grotesque monsters, space ships and godawful special effects. This film is about real people in real situations that touch one's heart. Let's have more like this. My only objection: Tom Selleck wears a grossly inappropriate monstrous moustache. Shave it off, Tom! And for scenes where you don't have a shirt on, you might shave your chest, too, which looks like an overgrown forest!

This movie totally triggered me!

Author: tracy_sheppard from United States
10 April 2015

This is actually my first review on IMDb, and I felt compelled to do it because the movie left such a bad taste in my mouth (pun not intended, but I'll leave it in). This movie was so awful, specifically in one respect--and that is animal cruelty. I kept waiting for the redemption/apology/retribution of the girl (Dulcie), which never came, and finally stopped watching the movie because my dislike of her character was so strong.

What was wrong with her anyway? She had to have been severely abused either mentally or sexually, or something! Why wasn't she in intensive therapy--she was so filled with hatred for apparently no reason: her mother's a successful lawyer who isn't home all the time. Wah. Her parents got divorced. Wah.

Shortly after she arrives at her dad's farm for the summer (for which she is very angry and depressed), she is approached by this sweetie of a cow, who has such loving energy. What does this girl (and believe me, I want to call her a slew of other things) do? Pours antifreeze in the cow's mouth (with the cow faithfully sucking at it), while saying "You want this, you jugheaded freak?" --one of the worst, most disgusting scenes I've ever had to watch. Seriously. It makes me want to do violence towards her.

I kept waiting for her to admit what she did, express dismay or sorrow for it...nope. It even showed her in the barn with the dad, with the did picking up the jug and looking at it, with the girl right there? Any look in her eye to show regret? No.

Stopped watching, and from what I've read in other reviews (unfortunately I didn't read them BEFORE I watched the movie), the girl NEVER admits it or makes up for it in any way. If I had read the reviews beforehand and realized this movie was going to be about a spoiled sociopath, I wouldn't have watched it!

Selleck is good in this made for TV movie.

Author: TxMike from Houston, Tx, USA, Earth
27 June 2005

Tom Selleck is Stephen Landis, living by himself on a farm in Idaho, just barely making it. His estranged wife is Angela (Wendy Crewson) who went back to the city to pursue a career in law. Their daughter Dulcie (Maggie Grace) is 16 and having some social issues, and doesn't get along very well with mom. However, when she visits dad on the farm, she is a different person. This TV movie is about family relationships, very well done, and Selleck is a good choice as the farmer dad.

SPOILERS. The whole family had been on the farm together, had agreed to live there only for a certain time, then go back to the city. When Stephen decoded to stay on the farm, Angela left him and took the daughter, which caused the friction. There is a side story of a lady who stays with Stephen, along with her young daughter, who get pregnant and wants to marry her young boyfriend, but mom wants her to have an abortion. In the end, Stephen and Angela work together in the rain and mud to save a stuck cow, realize they still love each other, and will try again to make it as a family.

excellent made for TV drama

Author: orsino44 from United States
6 September 2005

A slight departure for Tom Selleck, who handles his role expertly. Supporting cast is also excellent in this film about a divorced rancher's attempt to save his family, especially his psycho daughter. Locations are great and, as another reviewer has noted, this film contains one of the most mature and balanced views of Christianity (and ranching) you are likely to see on network TV. The producers should try very hard to get this on DVD; I believe word of mouth would sell quite a few copies of this unusual and well-made film. My wife and I caught this in its CBS airing almost by accident while channel surfing, and since Big Tom was in it, we quickly decided to stick around for the duration. When it was over, we were almost stunned at how good it was, especially for a "movie of the week." Take a look if you get the chance.

A Stupid movie

Author: chrisstallworth from Virginia
20 September 2014

Unrealistic. Because who would put up with a daughter like this, besides and extraordinarily weak father? Who would let their immature, naive 18 yr old daughter get married? Even if she is pregnant? Who would expose the daughter of a gf to his daughter if she was in this shape, and then stick up for her no matter what, and get mad at his GF for telling him the truth about her? And then there is the feeding of the Anti freeze to the poor cow. To me, this is the movie about a really weak father and his damaged daughter. I would have straightened her up, not made excuses for her misbehavior, or expect others to put up with it.

Sequel

Author: subscribe1faecs-1 from United States
19 June 2005

I'd like to see the sequel of that movie. The movie portrays a situation common or frequent enough in life. All the characters play parts that are believable. I'm not including details not to spoil it for others, but the end of this movie is really the beginning of another story. I'd like to see more of that story. I particularly enjoyed the males' dialogue lines in the movie. They portrayed strong men, living strong, respectable values. The men portrayed good role models. The women's lines were all decent as well. Thank you for that. I'd love to be part of a writing team of that genre and caliber. Thanks again.