IMDb > "Rescue Me" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Rescue Me"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Rescue Me" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

My secret evil plan...catch every episode

Author: artechno7 from San Diego California
18 March 2005

I heard about this show and since I come from NY/NJ and from an Irish catholic family of firemen, of course, I'm watching this. It's authentic, it's gritty, not pretty, but then, you don't know firemen - they're running into burning buildings when everybody else is running out, and are a breed unto themselves, an essence that Leary and Co. have captured.

So, if you ever have an opportunity to go to a 'wetdown' or a fundraiser (See Bayhead NJ crabfest in Aug. -" If you don't' come to our fundraiser, we ain't coming to your fire" )- you see real men, some of them boneheads, some of them rocket scientists, but always for real. This very edgy drama and esp. Leary's character shows the dark side, and his 'secret evil plan' instead of whitewashing every guy as a hero, as competent or even, sober. I love that the moral center keeps shifting underneath their feet, just as in real life. There's a million stories in the Naked City, and "Rescue Me" could tell them all.

I've been waiting for a show like this to come along because I practically grew up in a firehouse, and I know so did a million other kids in America. And, for those people who don't know any firemen, go adopt one or better yet, go volunteer.

Fantastic Beginning

Author: ak_stinger from Michigan
22 July 2004

If the premiere episode is anything to go by, "Rescue Me", Denis Leary's new FDNY dramady on F/X is one of the best things to hit television in years (no wonder it's on cable...). The characters, especially Leary's haunted Tommy Gavin are three-dimensional and the show doesn't flinch when it's time to show them when they're being less-than-noble. It's funny, thought-provoking, moving, shocking at times, definitely not for the uptight and easily offended, and shows a true camaraderie between the firefighters that goes beyond the false group-hug mentality that a lot of shows have. You can tell that this project means a lot to Denis Leary. This incredible show deserves to stick around for many seasons.

An emotional explosion - genius

Author: ombudsgirl from New York
21 January 2005

I have never seen a show that combined comedy and drama in such an intelligent and well-balanced way. On top of the heartfelt writing, the cast is perfect, the characters beautifully flawed (especially Tommy Gavin), but completely sympathetic. I come from a family of hockey-playing firefighters and can appreciate the familiarity. I have never laughed *and* cried so hard watching a show.

My only hope is that it gets the exposure it deserves and lives long enough to become a revered classic drama. And do not let John Wells anywhere near "Rescue Me". I'll personally come and bite him.

And, to fill the 10-line requirement, my personal favorite things about "Rescue Me": the episode when Engine 99 "measured" themselves, Lou, Probie's liaisons, the girl whose name Tommy couldn't remember, Sheila talking about horses, Uncle Teddy, Franco taking Keela shopping, Reilly talking about make-out techniques, and the heartbreaking, *gut-wrenching* season finale.

Funny, realistic and entertaining drama

Author: Elson321 from United Kingdom
26 February 2005

This is one of the most funny, realistic and entertaining dramas around currently (2005-2006). Watch it from the very first episode and see how each firefighter has a background and a story. See how well the firefighters get on as a team get on from day 1. See how September 11th has affected their lives. I especially love Denis Leary's character's brother who works as a New York Cop. Such a cool guy.

Anyway, definitely worth an hours watch every week! And, of course, Denis Leary has written and acted yet another brilliant piece of work again just like his 2001-2002 show called 'The Job'. My Score = 10/10. Let's hope this one doesn't get cancelled folks!

Best New Show on TV

Author: bridgidmorgan (bridgidmorgan@aol.com) from Pennsylvania
18 August 2004

Kudos to Dennis Leary! As a firefighter coming from a long line of firefighters, we have found this show to be the most true to life and accurate depiction of what its like to be in emergency services. This show is not sanitized as some have been in the past. Boy would I love to sit down and share some battle stories with Leary! Call me baby!

But seriously. I have saved every episode on my TIVO! We are going to have a firefighters party, invite the whole station and view the first season at once. Leary has done such a great job with this show right down to the casting. I hope it lasts for many seasons.

Bridgid

Rescue Me

Author: MMcMahon-5 from United States
16 May 2006

Never has a show given so much to the viewer; drama, comedy, suspense, this show is the best thing to happen to television in years. I myself serve in the military and understand what it means to put a uniform on and defend the innocent and helpless. Dennis Leary was already a genius in my book; yet again he tops his past projects. I've read about his cousin (firefighter) passing away in a fire, so it seems that Mr. Leary takes this project very personnel. That desire to do well has enabled him to create the most enjoyable show I've ever seen. I just got my hands on season 2 and have barely done anything else but watch it. Do yourself a favor and tune it next time it airs. You won't be disappointed.

A great show

Author: gezquester from United Kingdom
3 March 2005

This show is really good; I'm not really into the whole fire-fighting thing, like how most kids want to be a fireman or a policeman when they grow up.

However, I took to this show and I think it's brilliant. The acting is really good and I love how the show centres around a guy who is obviously going through post traumatic stress. He somehow feels it's wrong and is unable to tell anyone the truth about what he is going through. He does not realise that post trauma stress and general stress are normal things that we as humans experience. I guess because he has the whole New York, tough guy image to uphold, he doesn't want to show any signs off weakness as it were by divulging information of his problems.

The show is just airing over here in the UK, so I am keen to see how it finishes.

It is real and it's nice to see a show that depicts what life is like in post 9/11 New York, especially for a fire fighter who was part of the rescue team on that day.

For whatever reasons 9/11 happened or whoever was behind it, the day has changed things, I know that I view life differently even now that it's years ago- it still seems like it was yesterday...

In one word: Real.

Author: pray4surf2783 from New Jersey
13 October 2004

in many more words, this show is funny, moving, real, it pushes the limits, and you can't help but want more.

Having grown up an Irish American with 4 cousins and an uncle who are FDNY firefighters and members of the FDNY Emerald Society Pipes and Drums, I can't help but be completely amazed by the writing and producing of the show. I just watched the season finale and have been hooked since the first episode. I am very impressed with the job they have done portraying the lives of FDNY firefighters and their families. The personalities of the characters, the situations, and the whole show overall is just so real.

I was lucky that no direct family member of mine was lost in the event, but I knew quite a few, including some who I only met for the first time 3 days prior, at my cousin's wedding. All my cousins were put on honor duty playing the pipes for many months after that day at funerals, and everyday since, they remember the friends they lost - just like the show's characters. Everyday they think about what might happen next and they want to leave, but they'd be dishonoring everyone we knew and didn't know who gave their lives out of complete selflessness.

No show before, about any type of rescue work, has every been able to portray this reality like Rescue Me has. FX is definitely living up to the words they advertise - groundbreaking, aclaimed, gripping, outstanding. And not only with this show, but with Nip/Tuck as well. I am so anxious to see the next season and many after that (of both). Denis Leary and the whole show deserves an award!

***WARNING*** - the following talks about what happens at the end of the finale so don't read if you didn't see it!!

I had a feeling Tommy's ex was going to move away but how did she accomplish this without the kids, especially his oldest daughter, not telling him or running away since it was so sudden?? And what is gonna happen when Franco recovers? I cannot wait for the next season!!

Chris

More on the great casting

Author: (smeghead@canada.com) from Canada
1 January 2005

Just to expand upon the comments by Dr-RJP, I wanted to comment on the great casting in Rescue Me. I was recently watching Denis Leary's movie The Ref (also starring Kevin Spacey) and recognized at least two of the actors from Rescue Me in the movie, in small roles. Obviously Denis Leary believes in loyalty and attempts to surround himself with familiar people when given the chance to cast his own show. This is also evidenced by the recently-released Comedy Central Roast of Denis Leary, in which he pays homage to Lenny Clarke, who plays Tommy's uncle Teddy in Rescue Me and was also an integral character in Denis' short-lived ABC series "The Job". Anyone who enjoys Denis Leary's brand of humour should watch "The Ref" - it's an under-appreciated comedic gem and a great Christmas movie as well!

Works on so many levels

Author: Dr-RJP from United States
5 November 2004

What really floored me with "Rescue Me" was how well the ensemble of male actors worked together. Usually for a first series, it takes time for the characters to sort themselves out, but here was a show that, from the get-go, gave you the feeling that these guys had been working together for five seasons!

Usually, the typical camaraderie among male actors on TV and in the movies seems artificial by comparison. Here, it is as real as it gets. Also, there are no clones on this set: each character is unique.

Kudos to the casting directors!

"Rescue Me" blends humor, drama, action, and real pathos with male characters that are not afraid to show their vulnerable sides. Everyone in the firehouse reminds me of someone I knew personally, so maybe it is easier for me to care about them.

The season finale was reminiscent of The Shield's first season finale where Mackey's wife, Corrine, also left him at the end. The ending brought closure to the questions I had about why Tommy's wife needed all that money from him -- she used it for a down payment on a house.

How she was able to pull up stakes so fast without alerting Tommy will be interesting to see next season.

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]