IMDb > "Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Newlyweds: Nick & Jessica" More at IMDbPro »

Hilarious

Author: mcfinley from Chicago, IL
21 October 2003

I've just seen the show and I thought it was the funniest thing I've seen in a long time. Nick and Jessica are so immature and affected, it's like watching two children play house, but they can't go home after recess. Seriously, this show is like watching God restore the balance in the world, and the two newlyweds are in purgatory for their undeserved pop status--they were so made for each other.

Love it!

Author: sdj88 from Apeldoorn, the Netherlands
21 September 2004

Well, I live in Holland no one here really knew Jessica..or Nick for that matter, but...that all changed when this show first aired here. It is just soooo hilarious! Jessica is definitely not the smartest person alive and that just makes it so funny! Some things she said just got me thinking: OMG, how dumb are you?! But I love her though. Underneath that spoiled and dumb exterior is a very sweet and beautiful woman. And Nick is just great and it's amazing to see how patient he is around Jessica. You can totally see how great they are together and how much in love they are. And what a busy schedule they have! Unbelievable! Anyway, this show is hilarious and I totally love it!

Surprisingly entertaining

Author: tramsbottom from Cornwall, UK
16 April 2004

Okay, so they're not the smartest couple on the planet ("Is it Platama-puss or Platypus?" Jessica asks at one point) but it was highly entertaining to watch them bicker and whine over the stupidest things (Jessica must horrify all the feminists out there, but it's nice to know there are still some girlie-girls out there).

Nick whatsisface is unheard of in the UK, but he came off as being the typical boy band type - Make of that what you will.

I'd watch a second series just to hear more of Jessica's pearls of wisdom ("My ears are itching" "You mean your ears are burning, Jess.") and there's a certain fascination value to seeing celebs burp and trip over, even though in principle I hate shows like Big Brother and the rash of humiliation shows like Distraction that have ruined UK TV. If I want to see people tortured I'll go to Iraq thankyouverymuch.

"That is so punk rock..."

Author: dans_la_lune from Vancouver
20 December 2004

One of the guys from Blink-182, Mark or Biff or something, once said that listening to pop music was punk because everyone hates it. He was probably referring to his own crowd, because someone is obviously buying pop records. Nevertheless, he raises an interesting point.

Our novels and films are filled with the neurotic, intelligent observations of the socially inept, as these protagonists struggle to accomplish the most basic functions of everyday life. {Talking to someone at a bar, having fun over the holidays}.

Jessica, on the other hand, displays many social behaviors, has a healthy bodyweight, loves the media, and kisses people on the lips by way of greeting. She is the opposite of the massively popular Zellweger/Bridget Jones character type, and still turns a brisk business in spite of it.

Her 500-word vocabulary is probably false. John Wayne had that one figured out in the forties.

Of all the reality TV shows, at least this one is funny and amusing.

Author: MovieAddict2016 from UK
28 August 2005

I'm not a big fan of reality TV (if you've read any of my reviews for television shows you'll know this already!). I had never seen any episodes of "Newlyweds," nor did I care to, but while staying in a hotel in London, MTV was playing a marathon and I happened upon one of the episodes - probably the most (in)famous, the one where Jessica Simpson eats the tuna and asks if it's made out of chicken.

I didn't know the story behind the show then - how Joe Simpson, the father, had persuaded MTV to finance the show after Jessica's albums stopped selling, and how after the popularity of the show increased, her albums began to fly off the shelves. Joe Simpson is a savvy businessman and he's always seemed to make the best out of the worst for his two daughters - he's the brains behind everything and he rarely receives any credit.

The show itself is kind of lame but nevertheless amusing and entertaining - newlyweds Jessica Simpson and Nick Lachey (of the doomed boy band 98 Degrees) get married and the show follows their daily routines at home - their ups, downs, and romantic moments.

The real charm of the show is Jessica Simpson. I don't listen to her music and I had only heard her name mentioned a few times, but it seems now I can't go anywhere without seeing her face.

I think she's naturally cuter than Britney Spears and has a nicer attitude - she's ditzy but honest, spoiled but funny in spite of (or rather because of) her pampered lifestyle. A few of her quotes had me laughing - like when she hires a cook to make a dinner for Valentine's Day, then tells Nick, "I was cooking all day." I can see why people would hate this, but as far as reality "entertainment" goes, at least "Newlyweds" is just that: entertaining. It's like one of those guilty pleasures - something so appalling you just can't stop watching.

Excellent

Author: ShamelessAngel from United Kingdom
24 March 2006

As you can tell by my name I am a huge Jessica Simpson fan and as far as I'm concerned she can do no wrong, so when i heard she was doing her own reality show i was so excited.

Jessica and Nick Lachey (although unfortunately no longer together) are a perfect couple and they really play on the 'cute couple thing' Jessica also plays the part of 'ditzy blonde' really well, although she isn't really that stupid when you look at how successful shes been.

The series starts with footage of their wedding day, then we move in to their home life and watch them fit in to married life. We witness arguments, kissing and joking together. The series moves on and we meet both their families including Jess's sister Ashlee (also has her own reality TV show). Last series show Jess and Daisy May (her dog Nick bought her for her birthday) moving down south to play the part of Daisy Duke in the Dukes of Hazzard movie.

I would definitely recommend this box set to any one especially Jessica Simpson fans ... its a must have!!!

you can't "not like" newlyweds...

Author: fairyqueen374 from kettering, england
31 August 2006

Well well well how do I even begin to describe Newlyweds? I love it. When it first aired in 2003/2004 whichever year it was, I watched it from the start. My auntie and I were both MAD over it and used to watch it together all the time. After watching most, if not all, episodes, I got bored of listening to Jessicas corny lines and turned it over. Why? Not because it was boring in itself, because after a while most episodes seemed similar, not in the way that what was happening in each episode was the same, but in that it was usually based on what Jessica did and what Jessica said, and just showed Nicks reactions. However, after not watching it for nearly 2years, just recently re-runs have been shown on MTV at 8:30am and I started to watch it again. And again I'm hooked. Maybe I only started watching it again because they divorced, I don't know really but it seems so much more realistic (in a funny sort of celebrity way) than it ever used to. I've now bought the DVDs for this show and watch it all the time - some of the times they had that are shown on Newlyweds are still hilarious if your watching it for the 100th time. If you've never seen an episode of Newlyweds, you really don't know what your missing out on!

Fake Reality TV?

Author: caspian1978 from Boston, MA
26 November 2003

We are currently in the middle of the Reality TV revolution! Who would have thought that the Truman Show was actually more realistic now, then it was 5 years ago? Today, America watches shows like Survivor, The Ozzbournes and now Newlyweds. Who is to say what we are watching is real reality television or a charade? Yes, Newlyweds is fun to watch, but like the Ozzbournes before it, the American people were taken for a wild ride that ended in a charade. What we saw was not really the truth but scripted. It is my opinion that Newlyweds is fantasy and not the story of 2 young newlyweds facing the reality of being married. It is in fact the story of 2 young pop-musicians living a fad that will end in divorce. How did I come to this conclusion? Simple. Once the ratings hit rock bottom after 3-4 years, the marriage will be a bust as well.

They were lovely

Author: tabeth from United Kingdom
10 January 2006

I only started watching Newlyweds in Decembeer 2005 and I've just become hooked. It's a shame Jessica and Nick split, I thought they made a lovely couple. I do think Jessica would have wanted a bit more affection than her husband showed. I really felt for her when she had to watch her husband dancing with other girls (it must be hard for any woman) and I don't feel Nick was very reassuring. The funniest bit was the episode where they were playing a game with a group of friends and one of them thought African was a language and Nick pointed out that Africa was a country, but the people don't speak African!! Very funny. Interestingly, Jess seems to buy things without looking at price tags, and then complain about it later. Like the time she bought lingerie for $628! I'm such a romantic and I keep thinking they'll end up together again.

MR and MISS UNDERSTOOD!!

Author: justscot from USA
30 June 2004

Nick and Jessica have a great thing going. Off camera..On camera. Everyone loves an attraction. They take care of each other, they need each other. Playing well off each other is what they do best. In this world of stress,commitments and uncertainty. Why grow up? Get the job done, with the most fun possible, and make sure your best friend and lover has your back! Trust and Friendship with a little hanky-panky by two people that were models for there own wedding cake. Perfect couple.....In Hollywood...Cut..Print,clone baby can't be far behind? PS. the only people that want pretty people to fail, is ugly people. I love to watch the show. My hope is that they keep it real. Try ,as much, not to script the words. Taking them on location is fine. Push..do not shove. The show will move all by it's self. I Can't wait to see Jess as Daisy Duke! Let's put Nick in the movie! Cool!