IMDb > Ae Fond Kiss... (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 6: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6]

Interesting but incomplete

Author: davidburndy from United States
3 June 2006

Done with broad-strokes rather than the intimate details of true differences and huge challenges that go along this bridging of cultures. The intention is very well appreciated but the complexity of the Muslim culture seemed simplified. Most of the problems discussed were basic rather than substantial. The characters seemed to go on an auto pilot rather than the clarity that needs to exist for a fuller more in depth experience. Too much indicating and very little dimension. The filming style does not really have any impressive thinking behind it. It seemed as though everything was put together in the last minute. This fascinating subject should be the focus of a much better film that deals with the integrity of the problem honesty rather than trying to please everyone as was the intention of this film

the worst acting ever??

Author: thunderfistrocks99 from United Kingdom
13 June 2009

this film has the worst acting I have ever seen - I mean did they just just pull them in off the street. It was a comedy really due to the laughable acting. The elder sister "Rukhsana" claimed to be an aerobics teacher - as they say in Glasgow - "aye right hen...." - she was a little on the hefty side to be an aerobics teacher and her acting was about the worst in the whole film - just watch the scene in the cafe with Roisin (the female lead). The male lead "Casim" is so wooden and stiff that I was wondering how words were coming out of his mouth without his lips moving and I was just waiting for his gormless expression to change during the course of the movie. The plot was so predictable and clichéd that you didn't really need to watch past the first half hour to know what was going to happen in the whole movie. ae fond kiss...........ae fond don't bother

Interesting points but flimsy film

Author: pixel_of_a_pixie from United States
1 December 2005

The strength of this movie lies in that it brings up really interesting and worthwhile points about cultural clashes and the tragedy of the kids who no longer really are part of the old culture yet are trapped by the older generations who insist on it and call the shots. The film really explores both aspects of cultural clashes, the minority and the majority and basically comes out with the conclusion that they're both bigoted. The major problem for me was that the main two characters, particularly the Catholic Irish girl, didn't really seem to have that deep of a connection. We see them having a lot of sex and then arguing about culture but that's all they seem to have going for them. For the whole movie to hinge on our belief of their affection for one another seemed ridiculous for me, and ultimately, I don't believe in the choice that they've made. I would give this film a higher rating if the girl was intentionally supposed to be annoyingly uncomprehending of any cultural issues outside of her own selfish will, and if we are purposefully supposed to disagree with them and see their decision as a rash one, but I don't think we are. I think this is supposed to be a story where we really care about them and feel happy about their choice at the end, that love wins out no matter what. Instead, I don't really believe their love is going to last and see the girl as irrationally selfish and the boy as completely whipped and irresponsible. The abstract ideas presented in the story are very strong and I'm absolutely glad someone is asking these questions, but I find the actual premise of the story weak and unbelievable.

what a letdown from a good director - a real stinker, this one

Author: Karl Ericsson (karlericsson@telia.com) from sweden
23 February 2008

Even the sun has spots and Ken Loach's spot is a big one, when it comes to human relations. He could have attacked the foreigners for masonry, since every minority, if it sticks together and if, and that's a big IF, it's not attacked by racism or the like, have the very same advantages as any masonry or cartels - yeah, you did not think of that, did you, Ken? That would have been a good attack, leading up to interesting debate and, without a shadow of a doubt, to the realization, that, in a power system with its privileges and advantages for the people in power and its never-ending exploitation of the majority, minorities will always have the upper hand if they are not kept in place some how - most drastically and criminally through racism. Only a powerless society will free us from these vices and that's what we should be fighting for. Instead Loach, with this film, attacks the idea of true love, the love that stays a whole life through and does not give up because of some whim of sudden change in "taste" or whatever. He attacks the love, that is governed by good will, the determination to love goodness and not give up on a person unless that person does evil and only then. It seems to me, that Loach has lived a very sheltered life and been untrue some times when "he had to". I feel bad having to attack this filmmaker, who've done so many good films when others just did crap. The reason why I attack is because in this film there creeps through the stench of "red-wine-lefty", a breed of upper class lefties, who are "left" only as long as they don't have to give up their own privileges and who today have, most of them, become right. Ken Loach did not sell out that obviously but his attacks on market economy seems to get more and more lame and "understanding" and with this film reaches an all-time low.

waste of time

Author: nhmphuong from Viet Nam
28 March 2005

it's another film about the Indian/Pakistani community living in Britain. It's has the same topic as Bend it like Beckam: focusing on two lovers of two different background. One is white and the other is Asian. That two people in love have to overcome obstacles, mainly created by the Asians.

The film is so boring. Seeing it turns out to be really itchy, angry, indisposed and a mixture of many other disturbing feelings.

The two lovers are so selfish. They are in love and they force others to think that their love is kind of pure and other people have no choice but to approve it regardless of how disastrous the life of the family could be. At some point, the community of Pakistani has been deformed. The producer of the movie kind of make fun of the Pakistani people, make them and their solidarity seems kind of stupid and ridiculous. The guy named Kasam(or what?) turned out to be absolutely lack of good education when speaking with his father, he uses thousands of F words.

What annoys more is the scenes that the two people make love. This is a movie about Asian people, not about the SEX. The producer knows nothing about the culture that the movie is focusing??? Sure…

Waste of time.