IMDb > Serenity (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Serenity

Serenity More at IMDbPro »

Page 84 of 160: [Prev][79] [80] [81] [82] [83] [84] [85] [86] [87] [88] [89] [90] [91] [92] [93] [94] [Next]

Come for the special FX, stay for the characters.

Author: Eric Smith from United States
27 October 2005

That's how it was for me and Star Wars, when the original trilogy hit theaters. Those movies inspired many of us to make stories of our own. I'm happy to say that the adventure and humanity of those stories are alive and well in "Serenity." Only now the characters are fully-realized, fleshed-out, three-dimensional people. You can genuinely love and hate these guys as if they were your own friends, family, coworkers.

The effects truly serve the story. The spaceship battle towards the end looked great, and, as a bonus, had a point. It had drama. You care about what happens.

Never seen Firefly? You can't turn off your brain for this one. However, viewers who are new to the story won't be left in the dust. Everything's there for you to jump into the rich back-story from the television series.

I haven't experienced a movie like this in a long time. There were scenes that inspired in me genuine fear, relief, sadness, excitement. I feel like a kid again. The old stories are back.

Wow!! (Possible spoilers)

Author: andy-1270 from United Kingdom
26 October 2005

I am not going to go on about the plot for Serenity or give a breakdown of characters from the series / film, as so many other people have given perfectly good explanations in their posts. These are just my impressions.

I first saw the trailer for this movie about 2 months ago, and thought that it looked like a good film with some comedic moments. Looking for info on the web, I came across Firefly, so decided to hunt that out and watch it, I can truly say I was blown away, and watched the whole series twice in a week.

Once the film was released I went to see it and walked out of the theatre dragging my chin on the floor. I have now seen it 3 times, and can't wait for the DVD to be released!

*** Here be (minor) Spoilers ***

My favourite bits of the movie all revolve around River, and two key scenes in particular:

Near the end of the film, when pinned down and Simon is shot, when River says "My Turn"... My god, what a moment!

Not long after that, when the blast doors open to reveal River standing in shadow holding the axe and sword... That has to be one of the best images I have taken away from a film in a long time, and sent shivers down my spine when I first saw it.

The film as a whole stands out for me, but the two scenes above just seem to stand out that bit more :)

As for sequels... lets hope Joss gets the funding / green light for these, and lets also hope he doesn't do a Lucas and makes us wait for years for them! :)

If you haven't seen this film, GO SEE IT! and whilst your at it, get online and order Firefly... You will not be disappointed.

Cracking Sci-Fi!!!

Author: RockStrongo from Manchester, England
26 October 2005

This is quite simply the best sci-fi adventure I've seen in years.

I have to say that I wasn't a fan of Buffy or Angel, and I've never even seen Firefly, so I was a bit apprehensive that I might not know what the hell was going on, but I need not have worried.

The background story was clearly explained, the scenes well paced, the dialogue sharp and witty, the visual effects dazzling, and the action sequences genuinely exciting. There really wasn't a dull moment throughout the two hour running time.

I'm 34 years old, but watching this movie on the big screen reminded me of when I was a kid seeing Star Wars for the first time. It really was that good.

You don't have to be a Joss Whedon fan...

Author: RedMars from London, England
26 October 2005

I've never seen an episode of Buffy and although I know what Firefly is, I've not watched it. So it's a great shame that the albatross of the TV series hangs around the film's neck - as in, if you haven't seen one, don't bother seeing the other.

The film rocks! Plain and simple. How many sci-fi films get made each year that are intended for grown-ups and not to cash-in on merchandise for the five-year-olds? Serenity, from start to finish, is the kind of film people should be queueing to see. In an ideal world...

The plot, the characters, the wit, the action, on every level this film is excellent cinema. How many times have you sat in a cinema with a smile on your face because the film you're watching is THAT good? It's totally engaging and should be number one in the movie charts, but I think its cult status, especially on DVD, will give it the audience it deserves.

But go and see it. You don't need to know Firefly or Buffy. For a start it recaps Firefly in the first five minutes. Brilliant.

Firefly with a bigger budget, and it's AMAZING (fan view)

Author: sancticus from Norway
24 October 2005

Being a fan of the original TV Series I must say I did not have to high hopes for the movie. Fortunately I was mistaken. Everything is just as it was in the Firefly series. The cast really out does them self, the intrigues between the characters are intact, the feel of the show is there, it furthers the plot regarding Rivers and we finally get a good look at the reavers. Add to this a bigger budget to further more enhance the visuals both outworldy and inworldly plus a really well written script and you have the movie. This is one hell of a excellent sci-fi movie. Newcomers should also be able to pick up on it to without having seen the show. As oppose to Farscape that suffered a bit from being hard to jump right into, Serenity the movie stands quite well on it's own. Quite frankly I'm very impressed. Well worth the wait and NOT to be missed.

This movie is excellent

Author: rbarnes-4 from United States
24 October 2005

As a casual observer of sci-fi movies, I found serenity to be absolutely terrific. I say 'as a casual observer' because I only tend to watch mainstream sci-fi as entertainment and don't pretend to know much about the genre. This is film is just fantastic in that it is self-aware enough never to take itself, the characters, or any key moments too seriously while presenting great characters and extremely exciting, interesting, and tense moments. I saw this movie on a whim after watching another film and being so disappointed that it was worth the additional 8 bucks to stick around -great decision. The acting is top class, the dialogue is funny and intelligent, and the plot is pretty darned good. I love sci-fi movies that don't purport to change the way I think about the world but that present interesting situations, action, and humor and allow the audience to enjoy all this without too much philosophical harassment. Fantastic all around! Just as an end note -River is amazing (you'll see when you watch for yourselves!).

Author: stoofer1 from France
23 October 2005

Serenity did not surpass my expectations, but it did match them, and that's enough. Cinematic storytelling excellence, with nary a second of screen time wasted.Characters I believed in enough to laugh when they laughed, and cry when they cried, who could ask for more?. Joss Wheedon knows that people will respond more to real dialog and real characters more than they will ever respond to fancy special effects (though Serenity does have some impressive special effects, that shaky hand-held CGI trick never gets old). Ironicaly enough, the one single low point was the epic space battle scene, something that would be the highlight of just about any other space opera I can think off, and yet here it just got in the way of me as a viewer spending quality time with a cast that I felt I knew as if they were real people.

In these days of big budget soulless cinematic monstrosities, Serenity is a little film with a big heart that will make you fall in love with it.

Better than that other Sci-Fi flick that was out in May

Author: mrevil666 from United States
22 October 2005

To be honest, I only caught one episode of Firefly when it was on Fox (I worked most Friday nights and couldn't watch it if I wanted to) When Sci-Fi started airing the reruns I caught the first 3 episodes. So that's really all I know of the series....4 episodes. I think you could get through this movie by just seeing the pilot. All you really need to know is who the players are, and why they're doing what they're doing. This film does it's best to not rely on the series to fill in the gaps. So that's the first major like of this movie. Next, the special effects maintain the look of the series and still give you that big budget Hollywood feeling when you see them. Words cannot express how ecstatic I was to see all of the original cast reprising their roles from the show without ANY changes to their attitudes or behaviors. The only thing I can say I disliked about the movie...that I'll have to wait for Joss Whedon's next installment! As the T-shirt says, "Joss Whedon is my master now!" Now if you excuse me, I have to go watch my new Firefly DVDs.

One of the Best TV Series Finales of Recent Times

Author: hokeybutt from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
21 October 2005

SERENITY (3+ outta 5 stars) Yes, the filmmakers would like everyone to believe that this movie can be enjoyed without having seen the short-lived TV series "Firefly" (of which this is a continuation) but now that the movie has had it's chance to score at the box office the truth needs to come out: there is very little point to seeing this movie if you haven't seen the original 13 episodes (or at least *some* of them). It's kind of like watching the last episode of M*A*S*H or The Fugitive or even Buffy the Vampire Slayer without any basic knowledge of the show's history: you are just not going to get maximum enjoyment out of it. As I was watching the movie I was trying to look at it from the perspective of someone who had never seen the show before and who had no idea who these characters were. Frankly, I think the movie tries so hard to tie up loose ends from the series that the story doesn't really become fully realized. Series characters seem to be shoe-horned in (even when they have no real function in the story) just because fans of the show will expect them to be there. Compare the cast of "Serenity" to the cast of the first "Alien" movie: everything you need to know about the ship's crew of "Alien" is explained through their dialogue and actions as the movie progresses... in "Serenity" the crew's back story is too complex to be conveyed simply to a potentially new audience. But... enough complaining! While I don't think the movie really works as a stand-alone film... I think it is among one of the finest wrap-ups to a TV series I have ever seen. It is much better crafted and satisfying than director Joss Whedon's "Buffy" and "Angel" finales. The new character of the "The Operative" (Chiwetel Ejiofor) steals the movie with his quiet intensity... a memorable and more-cerebral-than-usual movie villain. The final confrontation turns into too much of a by-the-numbers movie climax (hero and villain meet on a high catwalk as the clock counts down to zero hour/ hero drops his gun, forcing a hand to hand confrontation/ villain beats crap out of hero until all seems lost) but by the end it manages to confound all modern-day action movie expectations.

Tips to enjoy this film

Author: chillingdave from London, England
20 October 2005

1. Ignore the poster (UK version). It's staggeringly unrepresentative.

2.Don't watch if you're feeling tired. You won't enjoy it and may fall asleep (which my friend, who loves this genre, did).

3. Don't expect high-brow or low-brow - it's somewhere in the middle, knotted-brow possibly.

4. Concentrate on the plot, especially at the beginning. This isn't Starship Troopers. It's at the level of a more thoughtful Star Trek episode.

5. Be patient for the special effects. You'll get your reward in good time.

Do all these things and you will thoroughly enjoy it.