IMDb > Serenity (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Serenity

Serenity More at IMDbPro »

Weak, cheesy, trite-- with some pretty good special effects

Author: The EZ Rider from United States
3 October 2005

I wasn't planning to write a review, but after reading all the gushing comments by others, I feel an obligation to do so. I've never heard of Firefly and walked in having no idea what to expect--except that the movie had gotten so much hype. I was severely disappointed. It's not the worst movie ever made--or even the worst sci fi movie, but the movie is weak in just about every way that counts. There is nothing new about the plot or the action--small band of rebels fighting evil empire. Where have we heard that one before? The largely unknown (to me) actors were just not very good or very subtle; the roles they played were cardboard cutouts; the action meandered over an interminable 119 minutes, though it seemed much longer. (And yes, I had was able to get a soda refill AND a bathroom break--without losing much continuity.) The special effects were pretty good, especially in the beginning, but if I see another movie where fleets of spaceships slam into each other while battling in close quarters, I'll surely scream. And then there were the really cheesy and wholly inexplicable items, such as, why does one of the characters traipse around in a spaceship wearing a new evening dress in almost every scene (and how did she manage to get all those dresses on board anyway)? And, why does the captain speak lines that sound like they come from a combination of GI Joe and Max Headroom?

But the worst part is the really poor payoff, after having to endure what is essentially a soap opera for almost two hours. The big secret they're chasing down--the big, BIG truth that will bring down the government, turns out to be sort of silly. Would anybody really care 15 years later? I sort of doubt it.

Anyway, I can't say I hated the movie--at least I didn't fall asleep. But don't be fooled by the hype. This is an utterly forgettable movie, and you can easily wait to catch it on a long flight or on DVD. Or miss it altogether.