IMDb > "Hustle" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Hustle" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Hustle - The Puppies Privates of British TV

Author: Simon Wallace from Kimpton, England
5 April 2005

British Television rarely gets any better than this - with the look and feel of a manic collision between Ocean's Eleven, Catch Me If You Can, The Sting and High Fidelity, Hustle is the only show currently worth watching (if you only possess terrestrial TV).

Season One was awesome and season Two appears set to carry the baton at full throttle. Witty, imaginative, engaging; it puts my faith back in British Television. Not only that but the cinematography is inventive, especially the speed ramping and occasional pauses so that characters may talk to camera, or even each other. The cast are excellent - How about a campaign for Adrian Lester as the next James Bond?

In fact, Hustle is so good, I'm going to teach it for Media Studies next year.!

One of the best shows on the box

Author: caswelll from Liverpool, England
23 January 2005

I must say I absolutely loved this and did not miss one episode.

I know some people will think it is just a waste of time but I enjoyed the fact that not only did they only single out the rich and the greedy, I now know some things to watch out for so that I don't get conned.

I loved the freeze frames that enabled them to explain what was going on, it meant that you didn't lose the thread by excessive dumbing down but you got the inside facts.

I have recommended this to many people and am looking forward to this years series.

Slick, modern and something new to spice up boring British TV!

Author: bob90 from Lancaster, England
25 February 2004

A very polished, interesting and insightful drama is the perfect description of "Hustle". As a British TV viewer it is very encouraging to observe a very modern, slick drama. The direction of the piece is very new-wave with exciting camerawork and colourful cinematography. Adrian Lester is very comfortable and evokes much presence as Mickey Briggs. His past experience in high profile work alongside John Travolta, Emma Thompson, Kathy Bates and Billy Bob Thornton (in Primary Colours) shines through, as he confidently outshines the rest of the cast. The director of "Hustle" has taken a very modern view and adaptation of great con and heist movies. He uses slo-mo shots, stops time and allows the actor to look into the camera and give an explanation of the con. All these techniques engage the viewer and much interest is offered because of this. There are also many twists in the series which increases the interest in the drama. It's very impressive and the characters are so immediately interesting that you cannot help yourself from watching again and again.

As British dramas go, it's one of the best.

A Breath of Fresh Air For Television Viewers

Author: BoyFromOz from United States
15 January 2006

After only two episodes on AMC, this spunky show has already added itself to my must-see TV list. This innovative BBC show, created by Tony Jordan follows the charmingly malevolent capers of five con artists in swanky modern London. The rogues gallery includes Mickey "Bricks" Stone (Adrian Lester), a charming debonair "inside man" who has never missed on a con, with a perfect record of 49 successful jobs, before being jailed on an unrelated charge. Now he's back on the streets and ready to get to work again, calling together the rest of the team. The other team members include Albert Stroller (Robert Vaughn) a charismatic older con man who serves as a mentor to the young group, Ash Morgan (Robert Glenister) the quirky, yet charming technogeek who is to Hustle as "Q" is to James Bond, Stacie Munroe (Jaime Murray) the alluring female component that is necessary for every caper, and newbie Danny Blue (Marc Warren) a sarcastically charming down and out master of the short con who learns of Mickey Stone and his infamous team through a mutual friend. The acting is terrific, and each team member works to make the ensemble a cohesive and chemistry rich whole. Not to mention a jazzy, eclectic atmosphere which exudes a neo-1920s-esque level of cool. With hip jazz infused music, elegant and suave art direction and scripts that crackle with wit, HUSTLE proves to be an enrapturing and entertaining instant hit!

British TV at its best.

Author: vlevana from Europe
30 January 2005

British TV at its best.

Great cast, especially Adrian Lester who does an amazing job (and on top of that he is gorgeous!)

Look for the "correspondance" with older sting movies. I really loves the references to "The Sting".

Witty plot, beautiful settings, clever lines and many surprises along the story line all combine to make a great show.

American TV can take a lesson or two by studying this show.

And did I mention Adrian Lester ???

Look for it !!!

Everybody be cool. You be cool.

Author: Embridioum from Partille, Sweden
28 September 2004

Here in Sweden the second chapter will be seen this evening but from only have seen the pilot I must say that "Hustle" is very, very cool.

A couple of gentlemen thieves fraud rich people who really deserves a lesson and can afford to lose some money :-). Nothing is (or was in the first episode anyway...) as it seems, except for the brilliant acting and cool surroundings. The perfect league of anti-heroes lead by Mickey "Bricks" Stone, a criminal master-mind. The best in what he does. Teamed up by old friends good at different things which complements the group perfectly. I know what I will do the coming Tuesdays!

Author: BunnyPhobic from London, England
25 February 2004

This is a crime drama about a group of 'long con' artists, lead by the recently out of jail master, Mickey Stone who get together to make cash quick by scamming the wealthy for all they've got. A shares scam, the arts world, a health spare and a casino will all be targeted by these sexy, confident criminals who can make you say thank you for taking your life savings.

I saw the first episode of this 6 parter last night and it was brilliant! I'd describe it as a cross between 'Ocean's 11' with the high crime, stylishness of it and 'Spooks' with the high tech look, quirky camera angels and plot twists (There are these weird, but funky moment when the action slows down and the characters talk to the camera! It's very cool!) Definitely will keep watching, and I'd advise you all to do the same! 8/10 but bound to get better!

Why we can't have more episodes a season

Author: Izzit249 from London, England
6 May 2005

Tony Jordan was briefly confronted in a low key column of a tabloid newspaper about why there are only 6 of Hustle.

If you are like me and desperately want it on for longer, Jordan claims that he is a Story consultant for Eastenders, writer for Bafta winning drama Spooks, and a writer of Hustle, which means holiday breaks are limited. He just can't find the time. A shame!

Hustle has become one of my most favourite TV dramas of all time. Although the last episode of series 2 seemed to be a slight rip-off of Entrapment, it was probably the best one they ever did! However it does leave the question of how can they top it?

Absolutely fantastic!!

Author: emily_glenister from Emily Glenister
13 May 2005

I think Hustle is a wonderful series! Its your typical British con show which isn't as slick as your typical Hollywood con show (or something similar - you get the picture). In this version, almost every episode, you think one of the characters is going to get caught, or indeed all of them - which if course they don't but nevertheless! Its gripping with a new storyline every episode so you can tune in halfway through the series and understand what's going on immediately (although I recommend you watch the whole series). Apparently there's a new one beginning filming in August 2005 so we can look forward to more Hustle around this time next year - YAY!! P.S: Marc Warren (Danny Blue) is one of the sexiest actors on TV since I don't know when... YUM!!

Why should the Brits have all the fun???

Author: Reginald D. Garrard from Camilla, GA
21 July 2006

Thank God that AMC saw the light and, in conjunction with the BBC, allowed us "Yanks" to view one of the coolest shows to come on the scene in decades. When AMC initially aired trailers for it two years ago, I intended on checking it out because of Robert Vaughn, a actor that I've admired since his "Man from U.N.C.L.E. days and the sole American in the cast. However, its airing and my schedule could not get "in sync".

It was until this third season that I started watching the show and what a pleasure each and every installment has been. The cast is flawless: Adrian Lester is authoritative and classy as leader "Mickey"; Marc Warren brings the right persona as "Danny," the "eager beaver" neophyte; Vaughn, of course, is perfect as "Albert," the senior grifter of the group; Jaime Murray holds her own as the sole female member of the quintet, providing the sexual allure but equally adept at the art of con; and Robert Glenister's "Ash" is the group's "jack of all trades," the one that stages and sets up the elaborate situations and locations for the respective "stings".

Major kudos must be given to creator Tony Jordan, as well as Bharat Nalluri for providing the idea.

The story lines are enthralling and the occasional "winks" at and asides to the audience are brilliantly executed, adding to the "tongue in cheek" flair of the show.

The cinematography is such that London has never looked better and hipper. The wardrobe budget must be astronomical because each of the principals gets to "dress to the nines."

It's too bad that because the show is an "import," it's not likely to be eligible for Emmy consideration.

It is truly deserving.

For those of us old enough to remember, there was a short-lived American show in the 60's called "The Rogues," starring the stellar cast of Charles Boyer, David Niven, Gig Young, Robert Coote, Gladys Cooper, and a young Larry Hagman.

Not since that show has "conning" been such fun...until "Hustle"

Page 1 of 7:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]