IMDb > "Ellen: The Ellen DeGeneres Show" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Ellen: The Ellen DeGeneres Show"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

Best Talk Show On TV!

Author: shrek2004 from Manitoba
17 December 2003

Ellen DeGeneres is finally back! See, for those of you who don't

know, Ellen DeGeneres is a comedienne who had her own sitcom

"Ellen" that ran on ABC from 1998-1994. But the ratings started to

decline after she came out of the closet in the last season (I think it

was the last one). And it wasn't because people were homophobic--it's just that that's all she started talking about! Anyways after another failed sitcom and a public breakup Ellen

stayed out of the limelight for awhile. Then she appeared as "Dory"

in the hugely successful "Finding Nemo", and now she has her

own talk show! Unlike other talk shows (Oprah or Rosie), Ellen doesn't really suck

up to the guests. She makes jokes with them and acts like they're

her friends, instead of huge special people. And unlike Oprah or

Rosie, Ellen is not always shrieking or screaming, "Oh My

Gaaaaaaaaaad! We're going to have Sting! Oh my Gaaaaad! You

just have to buy his book....girl!" And the studio audience isn't

annoying either.....they actually let the guests and host TALK! I only get to see this show when I stay home sick from work. I wish

they'd show it in prime-time too!

Stop Being Serious and Start Having Fun!

Author: ( from United States
10 September 2007

Ellen DeGeneres is one of the best known lesbian talk show hostesses around. That's because she does not use her show to preach or force people to accept her lifestyle. Her show has fans that range from conservative Christians to left wing liberals like myself who do appreciate that Ellen uses her show for good rather than protesting. I think that's why she went away. She allowed her sexual orientation to define her rather than having her own identity. I think she's better than that because she does admit to it upfront. Audiences do want honesty and truthfulness. They don't care about it but they don't want to be deceived or lied too. It's better to be clean and upfront about her personal life especially if you are doing a television show like this. While I think she's secured a niche in daytime television, she uses her comedic humor to poke fun as life in general. I think she's best when she's non-political because we already have enough politics for the next year with this 2008 election. I don't understand why she's winning Emmys because even though she's great most of the time. The show's momentum has passed. It can be silly, serious, and straightforward at times. She dances in the beginning because we don't get enough of it. Ellen might be a great role model for lots of confused teens out there but she is seen as a great role model for all of us because we don't have to grow up and stop having fun. I think that's what the message of her show is about, stop being serious and having fun.

I simply love The Ellen Degeneres show

Author: shandiagardiner from Bahamas
1 July 2007

i love Ellen she is fantastic, i try to watch the show every day at four o'clock back in the Bahamas. when I'm at work its sort of hard to view the show but i sure make up for that on off days.

i think Ellen is doing an awesome job by making others smile. she is so funny and I'd love to meet her one day soon.

if your sad and depressed all one has to do is turn to the Ellen show and your sure to pick up a smile or two. she is so nice and has a great personality, she is truly a blessing to the industry. i would love to attend one of her live shows. How awesome that would be. she is so great with kids. animals everything and one. she has hilarious written all over her bright face.

I love Ellen!

Author: crazee4brownees from United States
19 January 2006

My mom and I watched Ellen last summer while we were at work. I loved it. I left for college this past year, and I still watch Ellen almost everyday. My roommate hated my love for the show at first, but after a while she really got into it. Now we both watch it. This semester I have an 1130 class and will have to miss Ellen, I don't know what I'm going to do! I love Ellen. She is so funny, I laugh out loud whenever I watch her show. She is so funny and I love how she interacts with her guests. I also love the dancing. I would go see Ellen live in a heartbeat, she brightens my day! Her guests are so wide. She had Kanye on the other day, and then before that she had stars from Lost! Anyone can have fun on Ellen, and I think that most of the stars do! My roommate said that this coming semester we are going to try and get an Ellen watching party everyday, even when I have to go to class. We want everyone to enjoy Ellen just as much as we do!

Funny AND Positive Show!!!

12 November 2004

...and yes, you do learn something.

Ellen, of course, is hilarious but _never_ in a demeaning or crude way. Always positive and complimentary in a honest (I feel) not fake way!

She changes things up a little and I am liking that. She also has some fun people on. I have so far saved only two episodes to tape: James Spader speaking so eloquently after his Emmy win and Jamie Foxx doing some wonderful music! I'll be looking for Jamie Foxx's upcoming CD.

Just a lot of fun and sincerity on this show -- oh, yes, and dancing.

Surprisingly great

Author: Patrick (boston2143) from Boston, MA
15 October 2003

I really liked Ellen's sitcom and her HBO special ("The Beginning"), but in recent years it seemed like Ellen might be losing her comedic touch. NOT SO, I'm glad to say. Ellen fits perfectly into her new environment, because interacting with people of all kinds is exactly what she does best. Ellen is quick-witted, amiable, and often laugh-out-loud funny. She has a very distinctive style that I feared may get old after all these years, but it still feels fresh because it's authentic. Ellen deserved another chance to conquer television, and I believe she just may pull it off this time. Wayne Brady should enjoy those Emmy's while they last -- there's some fierce competition in town, and it's not Sharon Osbourne.

Ellen, Ellen, Ellen

Author: Karen Barrett from Florida, USA
16 March 2006

Before it was "popular" to do so, I appreciated Ellen's style, humor and attitude. She's got "it" ... and I'm supremely grateful to have the chance to see her in action daily. Even the reruns. Her reruns are better than most "first runs." Ellen has style, wit, charm and grace. Someone said she flaunted her coming out, I don't remember it that way and I don't think I missed too many episodes of her situation comedy. Once she did it, I don't think Ellen was quite sure how to handle it, since in the mid-90's, sit coms were just seeming to be that flexible. Ellen certainly doesn't do that on her talk show. In addition to her other attributes, her work for charities is wonderful. She seems to be using her talents and fame to really make a difference - hurricane relief, efforts for our troops and many other fine projects. I would like to know "whatever happened to Houston Rose." She got him the audition. He is listed in the stunt players and in one other movie. I must have missed where he left her show. Would like to know what he's doing now. Right now I'm watching a rerun from September 2005 and Houston is there.

Author: beads110 from United States
2 May 2006

This show is hilarious. My favorite episode was May 1st, it was a dog show. Paris Hilton came and brought her four chihuahuas, and they played a game called "Pardon Me, Is this your dog?". Also Kellie Pickler (My favorite contestant from American Idol) came. She also sang "Walking After Midnight". And, the tallest dog in the world came! He was 6 feet! He was a great Dane and Ellen let him play with Paris Hilton's chihuahuas! Each of Paris' dogs got an award! Ellen brought her small doggy! He was SO cute!! Kellie danced around! It was funny and cool! Ellen was funny! She danced funny! There was a tape that was called People who Look like their Dogs" It was so cool!!

Author: Kate-162 from Ontario, Canada
25 September 2003

This new show is so funny! I love Ellen. I'm so glad she's back, and she's better than ever. This show shouldn't be missed. If you're going to miss it, tape it! Her guests are great, her comedic timing is impeccable. She's perfect for daytime and should not be missed... watch out everyone, Ellen's back, and she's kickin' @$$!!!

The Host really makes the show.

Author: S.R. Dipaling from Topeka, Kansas, USA
4 February 2009

I watched this show faithfully for the first two or three years of its run,burning out when I came to a realization and assessment. Namely,that for all the charms that Ms.De Generes and her writers can bring to the show(also should give props to the DJs who've manned the turntables on the show over the years),I still found myself getting peeved at the near-shameless fawning on A-list celebs that would go on the show. Now,while I realize that chat shows tend to be basically little more than stumps to push movies,books,music,etc.,Ellen seemed to believe that not only should she show love to the guests but I mean really,really,REALLY show LOVE to them. Some examples: giving Gwyneth Paltrow expensive prams and baby material for her newborns(like she couldn't afford that!),trying to fix up Tara Reid when she let out that she wasn't with anyone when she appeared on her show(Really,Ellen? Tara Reid needs a yenta?)and devoting a WHOLE HOUR to then still-married publicity suckers Britney Spears and Kevin Federline. Also,the need to lavish audience members,"everyday heroes"(i.e. kids who rescued various people or creatures,prodigies,wives of military serving in Iraq,etc.)with expensive gifts(CAribbean cruises,cars come to mind) seem to suggest a need to try to conflate the show in a very "Oprah-esque" way that,while well-intentioned and in all likelihood sincere,seem to be overkill and maudlin.

Having said that,while my loyal viewer-ship of this show has suffered(I think I can probably count how many shows I've sat and watched since 2006),I will still tune in every now and then and my reasoning is pretty much the same as when I WAS a loyal watcher:Ellen DeGeneres herself. Always a bright,warm,effusive,funny woman who is just as comfortable in wise-cracking,more cutting edge(read: late night type talk show material)as she is in tender moments. Able to be nice without being saccharine(I'm thinking of you,Rosie O'Donnell),she can make an hour fly by and is able to disarm guests and audience members alike.

I haven't reviewed talk shows before,but I felt like doing so here because this show has been of interest for me over the years(I will say that,to be sure,my lessening of interest in the show might also be attributed in part to something it really has no control over:local affiliate scheduling,which changed some about three years ago here where I live)and while I cannot sign off on the whole gist of the show's manqué,it's still arguably one of the better shows you'll catch on daytime TV. I've been a fan of Ms.DeGeneres for quite a few years,going back to when she was a well-received but obscure comic that made the rounds of late night talk and HBO specials in the late,late 1980s,and regardless of my hang-ups with her show,it's quite pleasing to me that she's found such a comfortable niche on TV again.