IMDb > My Date with Drew (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
My Date with Drew

My Date with Drew More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 9: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

A funny and unique little documentary...something different

Author: Robert W. (Robert_duder@hotmail.com) from Ontario, Canada
11 April 2009

My Date with Drew doesn't set out to change any opinions or make any fantastic points, doesn't have the Michael Moore flare or the Morgan Spurlock style (Super Size Me---not his sub par Where In The World documentary.) But this is what it does have...movie creator and star Brian Herzlinger is a likable down to earth guy who wants nothing more than to make one of his life long dreams come true...as simple of a dream that it may seem. He takes something that we've all had (crushes on a movie star) and turns it into a fun adventure. The film isn't perfect, in fact I think he makes a few very careless flaws in making what could have been a multi-million dollar idea instead of just...probably a million dollar idea. The film spends a lot of time throwing a bit of a pity party for Herzlinger and his life. He has no money, no solid job, only has 1100 bucks from a TV Gameshow, and despite having numerous Hollywood contacts seems to cry a lot about his life. I would rather have skipped over most of that information. Unfortunately you also miss out on seeing a lot of his grand and funny ideas because he can't get a camera in but that's all understandable too.

It's hard to rate someones performance in real life. Brian Herzlinger is your every day guy. He's not stunningly handsome (sorry Brian), he's not rich and powerful, he's just a guy, and every day guy you could be pals with that has this wacky dream and he's willing to finally go for it no matter what and put everything he has into not only getting the date but making this cool documentary. He has friends along with him for the ride but they don't get any major screen time and you don't get to know them at all, not like you do Herzlinger. You root for this guy as an underdog and I still think of him fondly.

As a director I think he has a little bit more experience to earn. I'm just thinking that he could have focused on different aspects than he did during certain scenes but he still did very well. The point of My Date With Drew is that it is completely and utterly unique and it's fun. It's not serious and doesn't pretend to take itself seriously so it can be fun and a bit of an adventure, very believable and the climax of the film fortunately ends with the achievement of his magical dream because without that the film would have fallen flat. There is just no way that he could have pulled this film off without actually scoring the date and Drew Barrymore was awesome and fun and watching the date was a blast after really believing this was a big deal for him and all the trouble he went to. Literally anyone can watch this no matter what kind of films you like. It's different and unique and check it out when you want something truly different!! 7/10

Loved it!

Author: Joejoesan from Amsterdam, The Netherlands
15 August 2008

As a fan of Drew Barrymore (easily the cutest, charming, funny and down to earth Hollywood actress there are!) I didn't know of the existence of this movie till my colleague told me about it. I immediately rented it and wow, what a great film! To me movies like these again prove that you don't need big bucks to make great entertainment - as long as you have the right original script/ideas, cast and crew.

The idea of trying to meet your big idol is something everybody can relate to. Brian Herzlinger is a real Drew-fan so his motivation comes from the heart. He knows how to present himself in front of the camera and his voice over is also professional and confident. And of course all the dramatic ingredients in the story are right: Brian has a strict deadline to arrange the date with Drew because he can keep the camera only for a month), he has no money (which causes a lot of pressure) and he sort of has a main plan (getting invited for the Charlie's Angels 2 premiere). Like in all scripted movies, the main plan doesn't work. But as a viewer you know he will meet Drew Barrymore someway (hence the title). How will it be done?

What I also liked about this movie is that Brian and his friends somehow know how to entertain the viewers. Most of their 'scripted' ideas work, especially the one in which he organizes a Drew Barrymore casting call to find a look alike with whom he can practice the actual date. The evaluation after wards with his friends is pretty hilarious.

Another highlight. In order to get Drew's attention Brian makes a trailer for his movie and wants to send that one to Drew's production company. He gets the help of some famous trailer voice (don't know the name) who wants to help out Brian for free. The trailer - also shown in the movie - is fantastic.

My date with Drew is 85 minutes of amazing film. It's lighthearted, optimistic, inspiring and as a viewer you really want to know how it all ends (can't say that about most Hollywood blockbusters!). Of course this movie could not have been made for the 1100 dollars that the makers claimed they used, but on screen it works very well. The finale (watch out, here comes a spoiler!) when he does meet Drew is a nice and satisfying ending of a remarkable quest. The only thing I wonder is what Brian Herzlinger did after the movie. On the IMDb I read that he's (finally?) directing a mainstream movie with Heather Graham (also a nice actress whom I give an 8 on the Drew Barrymore cuteness scale). I'm curious what the end product will be like. Is Brian also a good director? Wasn't My date with Drew Barrymore not only just a brilliant idea but also a flash in the pan? I wish Brian all the best!

My favorite film of all time! (may contain spoilers)

Author: dddmi7-1 from United States
27 September 2007

Brian Herzlinger is my new personal hero! If you don't see the purity and genius behind this project you have issues. Everyone in the world has at least one person they are in awe of. For Brian, it was Drew Barrymore. So one day he got the idea to go ahead and make a documentary about his ideal person. Whether you have issues with credibility or how much help the production crew received in making this film, you have to agree this took a lot of courage on his part. At worst he could have been arrested at the outset as a stalker, with the current level of security around celebrities in Hollywood. If you don't believe this took vision, skill, and commitment you should try it yourself. Rent a video camera from circuit city and set out to pursue any sort of film. With a handful of friends and the drive to get it done Brian succeeded where millions of others would have failed. I salute Brian and his entire crew for giving those of us who simply sit in theaters such a wonderful gift. The first time I watched Brian relate his call from Nancy to Jon I felt pure joy. I haven't felt that in a long time. I can't recall the last time I felt that way watching a movie. This film is about hope, goals, dreaming. What could possibly be wrong with that? Do yourself a favor, if you haven't seen My Date with Drew, rent it. If you've already seen it once, I suggest you now buy a copy. Keep your copy in a safe place, and make sure your children, grandchildren, and their children see it. Preserve it for the future.

What's wrong with a little self-indulgence?

Author: lconway54 from Canada
29 November 2005

First, i'd like to say I found this movie pretty entertaining. I think a lot of posters on these boards didn't get the concept that, yeah this guy is a struggling actor, director, whatever he is, but what better way to get some exposure than to make a film about yourself and your dreams than this. I thought it was a very clever tool to get some exposure. That said, this could be done by anybody with an Apple Powerbook, a video camera, and some connections. My only question was, why didn't he bring the camera back on day 30, and immediately go to another Circuit City and get another camera? And why is there a minimum of 10 lines of text on here? I don't get that at all.

A good review, from a completely unbiased reviewer!

Author: Rachel from New Jersey
21 December 2005

OK, unlike what the last reviewer said, i have NO connection with this film. U can believe me or not, its OK. In fact i rented the movie thinking it was a stupid, fictionious movie that i can keep on in the background while i do other things. Next thing I know, I'm on the couch, laughing, crying, and all that stuff. Seriously, for someone who is obsessed with celebrities in general, one or two specifically, it was so inspirational to watch someone actually get to meet their celebrity crush. And work on his career at the same time! And, Brian, you are bound to have a great career. That movie could have been boring as anything, but you made it so much fun. Stop taking those entry level jobs! You can do so much better. Though, listen to your mom. Shes right. The star is EVERYTHING!

A great original movie! I love Brian!! He's my hero!

Author: threegreatboys from United States
27 November 2005

This movie is outstanding because there are so few original ideas that make it to the big screen. This is a human story showing a real guy with real problems (parents, finances) with great friends who put up with a lot to help him in his quest to have a date with Drew. Brian is so honest and down to earth and HILARIOUS!!! i LOVED THE FACT THERE IS NO PROFANITY OR NUDITY and my teenager thought it was great!! The highs and lows that Brian and his friends experience are so honest. It gives an insider glimpse into the 'six degrees of separation' that exist in Hollywood, which is interesting. It's documentary style..fresh..fun! That's my two cents, can't wait to hear what others think!

follow your dreams kind of movie...

Author: Mags from United States
10 November 2005

This movie is sweet, heartfelt, passionate, and very very funny. hilarious! It chronicles the story of an ordinary guy looking for just a date with his crush of 17 years, Drew Barrymore. It's a documentary, but it's got more of a Romantic-Comedy feel. You'll be cheering for Brian and his buddies by the end, for sure! I was definitely on the edge of my seat rooting for this guy. He's one of those characters (though an actual real person) in a situation everyone can relate to. How many of us have crushes on celebrities? But what if we could actually do something about it? And I won't tell you if he gets the date or not, but great ending. Well worth seeing, if it doesn't change your life and get you off your butt to chase your dreams like Brian did.

Drew sure is a special celebrity

Author: aharmas from United States
16 August 2005

A few times I felt like walking out of the theater as Brian kept on his quest to have his date with Drew Barrymore. It's a good thing that I did stay because once we are treated to Drew's scenes, the film takes on a very special glow.

For most of the time, we are treated to an amateurish attempt to gain our sympathies as a young man tries to achieve his lifelong dream. To be fair, it is refreshing to see that Brian is willing to share his insecurities and flaws. There is, however, a lack of balance between his assets and his shortcomings. We are reminded over and over about his nervousness, what he considers are physical imperfections, and maybe his production team appears to be unaware that they are showing us a man a few people might consider a loser.

Brian is likable and seems to have his share of supporters to help him meet his goals. He is also very lucky. What I failed to understand is his lack of practicality and responsibility. We are witnesses to his continuous reliance on parental support and inability to meet deadlines, though it might mean the difference between a meal and some unpleasant hungry times.

There is also an assumption that we all know how wonderful Ms. Barrymore is. She is indeed, one of the most charming celebrities in Hollywood, and her "E.T." period is certainly one that brings to mind the words "cute" and "sweet". The documentary fails to take advantage of Drew's charms, portraying her as an unreachable Hollywood type.

The last portion of the film does offer a marvelous resolution that brings out the best of the involved parties, but it might be a little too late to put the film above the average mark. Maybe there will be a chance to see a sequel or another chapter about this young man's life. Will he follow the advice given and reach for another one of his dreams?

Go See This Movie

Author: markbonn from United States
6 August 2005

I just caught the 1:55 pm showing at the AMC Galleria in Redondo Beach. What an incredibly funny and touching movie. Though Brian Herzlinger may not be the next George Clooney, his charm and humor put him in a class of his own. You can't help but root for this unlikely hero. The loving support Brian gets from his family is hilarious. The thing I liked best of this film was the overall message: Take a risk and do something you want, because you never know where that journey will lead you. I wholeheartedly recommend people to go and see this movie. Hats off to Brett, Jon, and Brian. The only problem I can find with this movie is that I did return something to Circuit City recently and was charged a re-stocking fee. You owe me 105 dollars.

One Degree of Separation

Author: David Ferguson (fergusontx@gmail.com) from Dallas, Texas
2 August 2005

Greetings again from the darkness. "Light-hearted, Feel good Documentary"??? Seems like a contradiction as most docs are presented in a stark, often bleak manner. Filmmaker, film geek, seemingly nice goofy guy, Brian Herzlinger chronicles the 30 (plus) days of his quest to get a date with his dream girl, Drew Barrymore. Yes, his crush began upon first viewing of "E.T" when he was six and carried through to her fan club, all her movies and TV appearances and into adulthood (chronologically speaking) with a borderline stalker approach.

The one thing documentaries must battle is a dragging storyline. "My Date" starts very good, drags in the middle and ends VERY strongly. Brian's mood makes or breaks the scenes. When his childlike enthusiasm is present, this film is a pleasure to watch ... even fascinating at times. When Brian appears to be playing to the camera in what must be scripted moments, the film dries up and really drags. For the most part, his (and his buddies) exuberance for the project is beyond question. The practice date with the Drew lookalike is a great idea that kinda fell flat, but the scenes with his parents more than offset the lulls.

The whole Circuit City video camera scheme is genius and the corresponding photo montage is classic. I also very much enjoyed the premiere footage and audio, but nothing compares to the last 10 minutes where charm, energy and spirit are truly on display.

Although I am not a "Grease 2" fan, I will recommend this film to my friends as it is an hour and a half well spent.

Page 7 of 9: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]