IMDb > My Date with Drew (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

A charming, funny film.

Author: grante-2 from Minnesota
19 January 2006

Before yesterday I had never even heard of this film, let alone participated in its production. To those critics who claim all the positive reviews are written by people associated with the film, I've got one thing to say: get a life and some counseling -- not everybody who disagrees with you is somehow involved in a gigantic conspiracy.

That said, I really enjoyed this film. Brian is funny and genuine, and I completely sympathize with his crush on Drew Barrymore (well, the crush if not the subject). I would be truly disappointed if I found out that Drew Barrymore's people were in on the whole thing.

Yes, the production values look like it was shot by amateurs with a camera they just bought at Circuit City. But guess what? It was. Or at least that's the premise, and I bought it.

Well, I rented it anyway. And I'm glad I did.

I even watched the extra "date" footage. :)

At once disconcerting, thrilling, funny, and moving.

Author: chris60 from Berkeley, California - USA
24 August 2005

I saw this film last night and was admittedly uneasy at the prospect of a movie apparently touting a stalker. This feeling did not go away as this unemployed, unkempt fellow spun his yarn about his lifelong crush and his unfolding efforts became more desperate. But then I noticed something: I hadn't breathed practically since the movie started – empathize with Brian or not: I was held totally in suspense!

There will certainly be folks for whom this movie doesn't "click." It was shot on video; there are no explosions, guns or killing; and Brian himself may annoy you, (as he did me at first.) If you weren't moved by Julia Robert's tearful, "I'm just a girl…" proposal to Hugh Grant in "Notting Hill," you (guys) could probably give this movie a miss.

"My Date With Drew" moves at a breakneck pace, thanks to judicious editing, and when the laughs come they are plentiful and genuine – when considering a chest wax, Brian's agony over the tweeze of a single hair got a roar. As the roster of accompanists and supporters grows to include the likes of Drew's cousin and Corey Feldman (on whom Drew had a crush and ultimately dated,) my uneasiness gave way to actually cheering this fellow on.

While I have reservations about this movie stirring those with less integrity than Brian, it left me inspired: thinking hard about pursuing life more aggressively and working for dreams, which, whether they come true or not, will leave one the better for having made the effort.

film geeks make good

Author: moviefoo from Aspen, CO
6 March 2004

So, I met the guys behind this flick as they videotaped themselves walking to a screening at the Comedy Arts Festival. My initial impression was something like "Wow, major film geeks, here." After the screening, that opinion hadn't changed much. The walls of both Brian's L.A. apartment and his childhood bedroom are telling... this guy loves movies, and there's an exuberance that shows throughout the film. Equal credit is due to his partners-in-crime, talented videographers and editors who must also be just about the best friends for which a guy could ask (probably also telling).

You might be tempted to turn this into a participatory event. I had to stifle several outbursts in the "GOD, you're PATHETIC!" vein. Watching the footage, I suspect that even Brian's friends have felt that way before. That said, this is a creative documentary with an inspirational message, date or no. The editing is inspirational, as well. Avoid if you're offended by psychic readings, serious criminal mischief or Corey Feldman. Personally, I'm just glad to see that they've now got their own video camera.

For once, "reality" isn't a dirty word

Author: bron-tay from los angeles
14 April 2005

For once--a person-sized movie. For once, a movie about the rest of us--not about hard-boiled cops stalking the sadistic killers of strippers, or epic heroes who felled mighty empires with their swords and their passions. With virtually no money, no job, no direct connections, no fame, none of the boodle that we normally associate with success and celebrity, Brian Herzlinger pours faith, trust, goodwill, humor, and endless exuberance to the pursuit of his dream: getting a date with his lifelong crush, Drew Barrymore.

Real people, real emotions, a real dream, a real roller-coaster, a genuine piece of uplifting advice delivered straight to you at the end of the story. You'll care more about the ups and downs of Brian's quest for one afternoon of perfect happiness than you EVER will about whether Orli kills Brad Pitt in Kingdom of Heaven, or whether Angelina Knightley snogs a snake in The Legend of King Alexander, or who wins in Catdevil when Sharon Stone and Ben Affleck duke it out.

Go see this if for no other reason than that you'll feel like Christmas afterward. Everyone was wearing a mighty grin as they walked out of this movie, and Brian and Jon were swamped by wellwishers. Brian decided to go for everything he could in life when a friend of his, Tony Vasquez, to whose memory the film is dedicated, was killed suddenly at the age of 22.

Brian Herzlinger is an inspiration to anyone who has ever had a dream

Author: marktucker7777 from Katy, TX, United States
7 December 2003

This is the story of an average guy, Brian Herzlinger, who sets out on a mission to get a date with Drew Barrymore. He has 30 days to do it and only $1,100 to spend (his winnings from a TV game show). What starts out as a fun exercise in independent filmmaking turns into a poignant and oftentimes hilarious work, where this dream date takes second standing to one man's quest of dreaming big. I can't tell you if he gets the date or not, but I can guarantee you the journey is well worth your 90 minutes. While this is a documentary, some of the laughs and impromptu happenings are so funny that a fiction writer would dream of coming up with this material. I do hope that a studio picks this up and soon. I can't wait to share this experience with my friends and family.

Hirsute Herzlinger Has Hutzpah

Author: sunsetgun from United States
7 April 2006

This little low budget affair starts out rather slow and ambles towards a momentum where the viewer finally has the chance to say, "Yes, this guy has a goal, I feel for him and his determination." At first, I was ready to give up on the documentary. My first impression of Herzlinger was that of an obnoxious fan-boy. But then you get to see bits of his personal life and you realize that he's obviously not demented - he's a romantic, an idealist and he's got moxie. This project stemmed from something that may have been a long-time crush, but it turned into an example of quick thinking derring-do and obviously very supportive friendships in his life. This is encouraging - average guy with a wacky notion that is borderline obsessive and he manages to create a video that's really kinda feel good. I felt good. I rooted for him during this process, as I watched this unemployed, unshaven guy who couldn't even hold a fork right, and saw him become quite focused and respectable in the process. Like he said, it's about an unknown person trying to reach an unattainable person. It's also, without maybe intending to be that way, a commentary on how much celebrity is valued in our society and how weird it is to know what someone looks like, their favorite flower, their name and birth date, yet never to have met them or even have friends in common.

Good movie, worth renting

Author: ybnrml696969 from United States
23 November 2005

This movie about a regular guy trying to get a date with Drew Barrymore was very endearing. It was interesting to watch every step he went through to get the date. I think he walked the line very well between obsessed and stalker and stayed on the obsessed side. I can feel his frustration when he gets so close to getting in touch with her but contacts don't come through. He met with the director of Charlies Angels and still couldn't get in contact with her. Just a description of what she likes. In the end, I end up liking Drew much more and she seems so real and down to earth and she's just very cool for doing this. I like the extra included of the full date.

Definitely worth renting. If you don't like indie movies filmed in DV and that homemade look, that might bother you. It's obviously not about acting in this movie. The main guy has enough charisma to win you over, IMO.

A film that makes dreams comes true

Author: mpirlot from United States
8 December 2005

I have never seen a film that inspired me more than this one. Don't get me wrong, many films have different inspirations. This one only answers my life long question. Fantasies do come true no matter how impossible they are. When I was a kid, and even a teenager. I too had notions of one day meeting a huge star. Don't tell me that everyone hasn't at one time dreamed of a moment like this one. Plain and simple. This movie has no special effects, no script, no stars, well I'd say 1 big one and one that is sure to be one. It also brings out the kid in all of us, as it is seen in the end. It's also hard to believe that a movie like this one can be made with such little money. More should be filmed like this one. Great Film, 10 Stars.

This is the cutest movie EVER!

Author: Adonja from United States
8 December 2005

I've had a very bad day today. I just finished watching this movie and I'm in a VERY good mood now! It was exactly the kind of movie I needed to see! Life keeps giving you crap and things might seem hopeless, but if you just stick to it and don't give up everything will eventually get better. FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS! DON'T GIVE UP! <- This is basically what the movie is about. It's so SO cute! This guy buys a camcorder from Circuit City for the $1100 he won at a game show. The winning answer at that game show was Drews name! He's going to return the camera before the 30 days are up (for a refund), and we're following him step by step as he tries to get in touch with ANYONE who can set him up with Drew. It's so romantic I think I'm going to melt! It's (of course) incredibly difficult to get close to celebs and it really seems IMPOSSIBLE to get a date with someone as famous as Drew, but he didn't give up! I ADORE the main guy's personality. He's so cute and funny and seems to be pretty smart. Just like Drew. I think this movie is absolutely WONDERFUL and spreads a good message. We need more movies like this! I couldn't stop smiling all through it, and I honestly couldn't sit still at certain parts because it was so exciting! You can really see that the main person is ECSTATIC when he keeps getting closer and closer to talking to Drew. This isn't acting, this is genuine... and that's why I love it! That psychic is right, by the way, he really is like a child in many ways, and that's good! I RECOMMEND THIS MOVIE TO ALL! No matter if you're male or female! You'll LOVE IT!! :)

Extraordinary

Author: somethingtotallyoriginal from Canada
28 December 2005

What an incredible journey. What an incredible life. This is an amazing real-life movie that captivated and dumbfounded me from beginning to end. I swear I was almost as nervous, scared, sad, and thrilled as he was. It never hit a bad note and every moment and incident contributed to the movie magic.

My Date With Drew ranks above any other movie about anything, because it shows people the way they TRULY are... which is refreshing. The filmmakers (or friends) did the best job at taking two different lifestyles, those of the celebrities and those of the nobodies, displaying a major distinction between them, and doing the impossible of colliding them together for one simple purpose. They achieve so much by telling their story and sharing it with the world.

May this serve as proof that if you want something and try, you can get it. So congratulations Brian on doing and getting it, may we learn from you. You've done it not only for yourself but for us all, thank you! And thank you Drew for finally pulling through at the end, and for all those wonderful compliments. You are a human being after all. Maybe she will invite her new friend to her house next time.

Page 5 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]