IMDb > My Date with Drew (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
My Date with Drew

My Date with Drew More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

an inspiring to movie makers who can't afford big budgets

Author: Jeddah Alviar (episode_js2002@yahoo.com) from Philippines
18 October 2006

i have watched the movie yesterday at star world, it's so fantastic and really amazed me. me, as a masscomm graduate of the University of Baguio wished also to document my life though i don't know who would be the persons i'm going to work with cause all of my friends are busy with their projects during times when we were students. i also came to the point that i dreamt of camera all the time focused on me and video all the things i do. but all of those were just dreams. and there you are i saw your movie. it really amazed me, inspired me to pursue what i really wanted though i have to make more money before producing my own production house... as of now, I'm working on a broadcasting network here in the philippines at ABS CBN broadcasting network. hoping someday, i could be a part of you... thank you and hope to here again from you soon.. goodluck to your next movie.

Inspiring as long as you don't think about it

Author: michaelingp from United States
6 February 2006

In the special features section of the DVD, there's a scene where the film's creators (the "Drew Crew") are wondering why none of the major distributors were interested in their film, despite enthusiastic audience reactions. Could it be the distributors had ethical doubts? It doesn't appear that anybody on the project ever reflected on just how far they would go to gain their fifteen minutes of fame at someone else's expense. It looks like the "end justifies the means" culture is alive and well on both coasts of this country.

I saw this movie last night on DVD, and I have to admit I was sucked in. Yes, I liked the dream-come-true ending, and the profound questions the movie raises concerning celebrity, Hollywood, the value of good friends, the myth of the classless society, and the power of the Internet. I liked the special feature where the filmmakers describe how their dreams also came true when they found a distributor for their "little" film, and I was happy for their success.

But last night I couldn't sleep. Something about the film kept bothering me. Finally it came crashing down. Dating a famous actress is not a "dream", it's a childish fantasy. Buying an expensive camera planning to return is when you're done is not clever, it's theft. Forging press passes to crash a party is not a felony, but it's still a juvenile prank. And finally, using the Internet to extort participation in your project is just wrong.

So, who comes through this unprincipled mess with a shred of self-respect? Surprise, surprise, the one professional, Drew herself. All I can say is that I hope she was well paid. Without her cameo, this movie wouldn't even exist.

You either love it or you hate it.

Author: Ludypro1 (ludypro1@aol.com) from Washington
8 January 2006

I personally love this movie. If you don't enjoy non-professional looking shots or don't personally like annoying guys who don't know how to hold a knife when cutting a steak, then this movie is not for you. I don't usually like people like Brian Herzlinger, but I enjoyed watching him get his date with Drew. The only mistake they made was in advertising. When I saw this movie at blockbuster, I ignored it because of the cover. It looks like some chick-flick when you first glance at it. I would have never suspected it was a documentary. But when my aunt mentioned the movie and the great premise, I rented it right away. I loved how the movie was put together. The only thing that can get a little annoying is when he gets sad in front of the camera and pouts about his dream being crushed. But other than him crying like a little b!tch, it was a overall great movie.

A Charming & Funny Film

Author: heaven-11 from New York City, USA
28 January 2006

MY DATE WITH DREW is a sweet and inspiring film about "a guy trying to land a date with someone who's totally out of his league." It takes this very simple concept to illustrate the power and satisfaction of going after one's dreams, whether you end up with the girl or not. Somewhat similar to the surprisingly funny 1990s documentary, 20 Dates, MY DATE WITH DREW depicts an ordinary fellow with very little money but a great deal of heart and a few loyal friends who set out to meet and hopefully win a date with famed movie star, Drew Barrymore. The problem is: none of them actually know her. And beyond that, even IF the filmmaker did know her, why would Drew Barrymore want to date him anyway? I say, spend a couple of hours with this adorable crew of determined filmmakers and you'll soon find out why any nice girl might be interested. Most importantly, the film may show you just how rewarding (and frustrating and humorous) it can be to take a chance on life and go after your dreams. In my opinion, this film is not the laugh-riot of the century, but it did keep me on the edge of my seat and made for the perfect Friday night family entertainment. (And be sure to watch the Bonus features on the DVD, for further enjoyment.) 8 Stars out of a possible 10.

Very Good Movie

Author: whitewingedove17 from California, United States
17 July 2009

After reading the pitiful comment left by I_John_Barrymore_I, I felt it necessary to comment on this title. I had been wanting to see this movie for a long time only because I love Drew Barrymore and I think she's an incredible actress...and the main character of this movie could be any one of us who just wants to have a chance to meet one of our heroes. In this case, he gets to meet (and have a date with) Drew Barrymore after many days of trying relentlessly to communicate with her...all while documenting this film on a camera he doesn't even own and with a budget of $1,100 that he won as a contestant on a game show. I think it stirs emotion within a lot of people because again, this could be any one of us. I, for instance, would love for an opportunity to sit and have dinner and a conversation with Stevie Nicks...not because I want to have a "date" with her, but just for a chance to meet a personal hero of mine. So I encourage anyone who hasn't seen this movie to check it out. Of course it's not a blockbuster movie...it's a documentary...but a very well-done documentary with a very cool ending.

An Excellent, Intimate Quest

Author: tabuno from utah
3 June 2006

This every man low-budget movie is an inspiring documentary of one man's attempt to secure a date with Drew Barrymore. Recorded on a bare budget, this quest is personal and intimate, dramatic, emotional, and inspiring. It is rich with authenticity, strategy, and realism that all of us can relate to. The pacing of the editing, the whole voyage is captivating as the up and down trek is attempted down blind alleys, guesses, wishes, ideas that offer the audience a behind the scenes look at networking and the Hollywood connection as the real personality behind the curtain of the movie industry. The real story is the down to earth and entertaining events that unfold and the realness of most of the people on screen even those that appear to be out of reach. This is funny, sometimes tense-filled, thriller that has all the intensity of wish-fullfillment held by us all. Highly recommended. Nine out of Ten Stars.

The most understated climax - delivers a most powerful punch

Author: Bob Stein, VisiBone (stein@visibone.com) from United States
25 June 2006

Essential to good storytelling are conflict and climax. Win versus lose is so engaging because life means not knowing whether you'll get what you want. It reaches the heights of living when a long struggle is capped by a moment. This movie works when it delivers both conflict and climax. It's so pleasing to see them delivered in wholly fresh ways. Brian is a filmmaker first and a stalker second. Had to be that order, or you couldn't stand to watch this story.

It's great the way he involves his friends. It's great to hear about the threads in his life with her name on them. Here is someone committed to doing something new and unconventional. He bends and breaks rules (maybe laws too) with refreshing self-honesty. You want to see him win. There's no escaping the conflict. This movie makes you wonder, and you have to know: Does he get the date? The best moment is pre-climactic. It sneaks up on you but it's inescapable. I've never seen it done so subtle and so natural. The answer to the conflict comes without words, without action, with hardly motion or sound at all. Watch for it. In his face. And then tell me who shouldn't count their lives in moments like that. Moments when you find out whether you get what you want.

Great Movie

Author: metalicarockshard from Canada
18 March 2006

Well the movie was great. My husband and I watch a lot of movies. My children are usually watching with us. The movie has been out for a bit now, but I kept looking at it in the video store and putting it back. It was a snow storm that got me to finally pick up the movie. So on a snowy Saturday night, the whole family watched the movie. I think it was great for my children to see and be inspired, by the movie.. So if you are thinking of picking up the movie and are worried about content(adult) you don't have to . I enjoyed the movie a lot and find that it was refreshing , simple , and smart.

Thanks Hope this helps!!!!

A touching and positive modern fairy tale...

Author: Positrak from Texas, USA
16 January 2006

After watching this movie, and reading many comments about it, I have to say I really liked it. Most negative comments lacked any credible foundation for the negativism. One even posted negatively without having seen the movie!!?? Anyhow... While not agreeing with some of the "spiritual aspects" personally, the movie was very up beat and positive. Shaking off criticism, the past, obstacles, discouragement and daring to live life till making your dreams happen is what it's all about! Just the journey with these attitudes is worth it even if life doesn't all have a "Happy Hollywood Ending". *Spoiler Alert* This has a great ending! It's a great allegory that could pertain to many aspects of life. I'll watch it again.

very inspiring, fun to watch film

Author: dude32446 from United States
6 January 2006

Now I'm sure, from reading a lot of post on here, that this movie is not for everyone, but the story is very inspiring and fun to watch. The guy is pretty desperate so its fun to follow him around and watch as somethings pose a problem, and when some things go better then expected. Some parts of the movie, I was even getting nervous just waiting to get the reply of a phone call, or to find out the answer to a question. At times the film is even a little funny, and gives a great story about achieving your dreams throughout. I enjoyed it, and am not one for documentaries, but I think after a few months I might watch this one again. Just watch it all the way through once, you more then likely wont be disappointed.

Page 4 of 9: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]