IMDb > My Date with Drew (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
My Date with Drew

My Date with Drew More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Pure charm ... well, maybe not entirely pure

Author: Mark Wilk from United States
11 January 2006

I was completely taken in by the charm and optimism of My Date With Drew, although the movie's critics hold generally far more cynical views about it. Many find this work creepy and unnerving because its star-director, Brian Herzlinger, manages to pull off some rather interesting stunts ...

But this movie is innocuous, really, and nothing either dangerous or sordid happens, here. At the heart of Herzlinger's work is a man who engages himself on a quest for emotional and material success, and I found it inspiring, quite frankly, to witness his journey.

One might admire or dislike Herzlinger, finding him either funny or creepy, but there's no denying that the man has chutzpah! Give credit where credit is due, for he's accomplished what few independents have in that he's gotten his movie made and distributed (and gotten us writing about it, as a result of that). Not too shabby, by any means.

Totally disappointing waste of time.

Author: durwin-2 from United States
14 June 2006

Extremely amateurish "faux-reality-show" or "home-movie" feel. Total waste of time. We "rented" this as one of our monthly "freebies" from Blockbuster and it wasn't even worth the effort to get it. We groaned even as we fast forwarded through the really bad parts. Moved slower than molasses. The description on the cover suggested a real movie, so it was completely disappointing when it turned out to be someone's poorly done home movie. I will be looking to avoid anyone that had anything to do with this picture in the future - if this is their sense of movie-making or of entertainment, I want to stay clear. Don't waste your time.

Great training video for wannabee stalkers

Author: gcass from nj
18 February 2006

Proof that anyone with a video camera and enough desire can compete with the big boys. It's good to see that any schlub can now get his message out there rather than all the power in the hands of the elite. That being said, why anyone would have such a fixation on a human being they hardly know was disturbing. I'm glad that Drew Barrymore didn't seemed bothered by it, maybe she was relieved as she might have felt this guy wasn't a potential danger to her after meeting him. Watching him trying to get into shape in the time he had was ridiculous. A major problem I had with the movie though was I couldn't tell if the main character was gay or not, which created a lot of distracting dissonance.

Grinning Moron in Brain Dead Garbage

Author: porticogreen from Washington, DC
4 January 2006

Sure, a documentary can be lighthearted, but this ode to seemingly brain dead Brian Herzlinger's celebrity obsessions is the absolute dregs. The moronic Herlinger, who clearly has never watched any film shot for less than 50 million, grins like a lunatic over and over into the camera. When his mother tells the unemployed 27 year old that she reads The Star tabloid because everything in the rag is true, I realized that Herlinger probably never had a chance. Still, it's hard not to want to take a baseball bat to someone this utterly inane in that oh so L.A. way. As Joe Pesci would say, "I think someone needs a beatin'"! Oh, and I did check out some of the other responses. Clearly Herzlinger and his pals have been stuffing the ballot box as NO ONE would find this to be a great, "inspiring" film.

What a terrible con this video is!

Author: electriconion99 from United Kingdom
30 December 2005

I'm all for independent filmmakers trying something new nd I think its great that new video technology makes it possible for more people to make movies. But come on, this is just taking the Mickey. You make allowances for shooting on video, but you expect the cameraman to at least know how to hold it slightly steady or keep it in focus! That's the least of the problems. These come in three main areas.

1. The film is obviously a fake. Brian Herlzinger clearly isn't interested at all in Drew Barrymore, and he's obviously got some vague contact with her to set the thing up. It's no spoiler to say that there is no date, just a brief blinkandmissit cameo arranged by her PR people. It's also a bit dubious because he seems awfully fey about it all. I kept on thinking the only reason this wasn't called My Date With Liza was because Liza Minnelli got a restraining order.

2. Brian Herlzinger has made a film about himself. He loves himself. He fawns over himself. He gazes lovingly at his own reflection. It's really a bit scary.

3. There is no entertainment value. Just padding, a few interviews with sad ex-celebs he's conned out of PRS and a lot of talking about how he's a great guy who should go for it. FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF! 4. It's really badly made. My wedding video is technically better, and my brother was drunk when he shot it.

So points for Chutzpah but none for the film. Somehow he managed to sell this to Blockbuster, but that's no reason for you to see it. It's like being stuck in a lift with the world's most boring man. FOR AN HOUR AND A HALF!

A stalker's how-to or a dishonest PR stunt? Ether way it's pretty bad

Author: movieman_kev from United States
19 April 2006

Brian Herzlinger is a normal Joe trying to 'get a date with Drew Barrymore' in 30 days in this cloying 'Documentary'. Whether this is a stalker's attempt to desperately get a date with a actress he adores, or a clever ploy to jump start some sort of career for Herzlinger (I'm thinking more the latter), the fact remains that whichever it is, te film is manipulative at best and slightly alarming at worst. And if it WERE the former, rather then the latter, all the likability of Brian flies out the window as no matter how charismatic a stalker may be, the fact remains that they ARE in fact stalking someone. And if this movie inspires even one REAL stalker (and as I said before this film is a sham and a PR ploy), but if the film inspires a REAL stalker that would be quite a shame indeed. I can't recommend this film on entertainment ground, I can't recommend it on documentary grounds, and I certainly can't recommend it on ethical grounds.

My Grade: D

Drew-ly scrumptious, she's Drew-ly Drew-ly scrumptious.

Author: tyler-and-jack from Edinburgh.
30 September 2010

You know, I thought long and hard before settling on my final (and, in the view of many, somewhat generous) rating for My Date With Drew. Because I was there when it all happened on the internet. I endured the tireless spamming and self-promotion and childish behaviour that did nothing whatsoever to gain any fans of the movie. In fact, I would say that most of the people around on IMDb at that time went out of their way to AVOID the movie. But I don't judge anything until I've seen it for myself and so I finally stiffened my upper lip and went for it.

After winning $1,100 on a quiz show by getting people to guess the answer "Drew Barrymore" struggling nobody Brian Herzlinger decides to use the money to try and get his dream date with the girl he fell in love with at a very young age (he was a wee lad and she was "Gertie"). He documents this by getting a camera from Circuit City and using it for 30 days thanks to their 30-day returns policy. So it may be thanks to Brian that Circuit City now charge a "restocking fee". Maybe.

Right from the off, this movie fights to get over the main obstacles weighing it down. A) Brian Herzlinger is a struggling nobody devoid of any discernible talent or humour (okay, he makes the odd witty remark but usually just plays the loud "amn't I a great American" card) who admits that he should be sorting his life out and paying his bills. B) Dress it up however you like, the movie is about someone stalking a celebrity and despite the strenuous denials of Herzlinger on this point it's clear that if you keep tracking down people who know people who know a girl you like and that if you try to insert yourself into her social group just to get the chance at a date then you're stalking.

The movie works thanks to one major bonus factor and that's the lovely Drew herself (but will she appear on screen in person???) so at least Mr Herzlinger has some taste. It also works in the rare moments of self-deprecating honesty and kudos to the man for including a scene in which a man he respects tells him that the idea for his movie is terrible.

But then we get so many shots of people listening to phone conversations that they repeat to us afterwards, so many random straw polls of passers-by ("hey, hey, do you know Drew Barrymore?") and even a re-enactment of one of the movie's unfilmed high points by . . . . . Brian and his friends on a sidewalk just outside where the "big event" happened. And best we forget the constant number of scenes recapping things just told to us in the previous scene and the constant, ridiculous use of the 6 degrees of separation system which becomes genuinely laughable at some points.

Whether or not he got his date, and I'll at least have the good grace not to spoil it for anyone daft enough to watch the thing (though don't pay for it, good god, at least return it if you buy it . . . surely that's in the spirit of the film), Brian fails. Let's hope he doesn't win any more game shows in the near future.

MetaDrew

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
30 November 2005

Take a date movie and mix it with a movie about making a movie. Dose it with a notion of homemade opportunism.

Does it matter if it engages? If the guy matters? Probably not.

The standard date movie has three acts: The fantasy is established, the fantasy is dashed, the romance is achieved. Often a guy with problems and a perfect girl, sometimes the other way around.

That's what we have here, almost as if it were scripted. It is almost too perfect. Surely, Drew's production company added and sorted things after they got involved.

If you like metamovies, you'll get a bang out of this. If you get embarrassed by ultradorky dumb people, so dumb they should hide, if bad production values bother you, stay away.

Ted's Evaluation -- 2 of 3: Has some interesting elements.

money wasted

Author: gandalf_a_1999 from Australia
9 October 2006

I rate movies 1 when I feel like turning it off, which was many times during this film. I didn't, though it seemed to get worse...

He wins a grand, decides to get a date with Drew, the whole movie follows him throughout a very long 90mins and thats it.

There were some entertaining moments, but a movie about a guy getting a date with a celbrity is all you're going to see and how knowing someone who knows someone else might know Drew.

Eventually a website is made, which catches Drew's business partners attention, and Drew herself.

Don't watch unless you want to see this excuse for a movie.

1100.00 budget my butt

Author: drosz22 from Detroit, Michigan
9 March 2006

first off... this film is deceiving anybody that is considering it factual that the budget was 1100.00. it's CLEAR that it was not shot on video... ANYBODY that works in films can see that. secondly... if you like to see 90 minutes of someone talking on a cell phone (and not being able to hear the other end of the conversation)... then this film may be for you. third... I made the mistake of renting it based on the alleged budget. when I saw that it was false advertising, I took it back to Blockbuster and DEMANDED my rental cost back... guess what? I got it! apparently, they are having several complaints in regards to this movie and are losing some major $$ on it due to rental refunds. it's a horrible film... period! and please don't waste my time by insulting my spelling errors (if any). if that's all you can come up with... woe to you.

Page 2 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]