IMDb > My Date with Drew (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]

Charming and entertaining

Author: stormy-12 from Los Angeles, CA
5 November 2004

Brian Herzlinger's quest for a date with childhood crush Drew Barrymore is, appropriately enough, a great date movie. It's funny, inspiring and very sweet. The fact that this was shot on a miniscule budget is part of its charm, but it doesn't play as cheaply made. In fact, it's more polished and fast-paced than many other modern documentaries. And Herzlinger is a winning presence. He knows how outrageous his mission is, but he attacks it with an admirable can-do zeal. This movie will have special resonance with movie geeks, especially those who grew up around the same time as Herzlinger. But dreamers from all walks of life are certain to enjoy it. You'll understand why it's won audience-favorite awards at film festivals. Highly recommended.

Too Aggressive ...

Author: vram22 from United States
22 November 2006

This movie has all the makings of a really good movie. It had really good film quality, passionate individuals, a fast moving plot -- and a really good (obvious) goal. But even given all that, I just couldn't connect with the lead character/filmmaker. He's clearly a passionate guy, but something about him seemed like there was a manic aggressive undercurrent to his personality. The result was a turn-off to the film - and I watched with some excruciating pain as he tried to get to Drew Barrymore.

This movie is not without its merits - it is well done and there are some smart lines and ideas - like the 6 degrees of separation between any two people in the world. That stuff is cool, but unfortunately that didn't make up for the dislike of the main character. Skip this movie unless you're a devout Drew Barrymore fan.

A sad way to break into show biz

Author: kenneth-r-close-1 from United States
3 May 2007

So a guy borrows a video-camera and makes a documentary about how he gets a date with Drew Barrymore in 30 days. His friends help and it becomes a big production. Unfortunately, this guy's sad attempt at breaking into show business isn't very interesting. Basically, they keep calling people in Drew's outer circle of gatekeepers in the hope of getting a lunch date with her. They do crash an event, and the guy says "Hi" to her, but is too overcome with her stardom to ask her out. Then they reenact the meeting because they didn't bring a camera into the event. I'm sure Drew is a wonderful person but pleeeease - she's not a goddess! So when they fail to get the date within 30 days they keep going (cheating!) until she eventually hears about it and decides she'd like the free publicity (and IMDb credit!). How is this even mildly entertaining?

My Date with Drew

Author: I_John_Barrymore_I from United Kingdom
15 March 2009

Even casting aside memories of the infamous summer of 2005, (during which the Internet Movie Database's Film General message board was overrun for months by the director's friends relentlessly hawking this documentary - and getting extremely unpleasant when challenged about their behaviour, trolling the board - in a monumentally misguided attempt at viral marketing that ensured everyone who encountered them waited for it to arrive on television rather than pay to see it) this film is impossible to like.

Much of that stems from the unlikable Brian Herzlinger, a man with no personality to speak of. He's a poor enough actor to betray the fact that at times he's clearly reading scripted material or improvising imaginary see-I-got-you-back phone conversations with an ex girlfriend who cheated on him. And that's not even his most pathetic moment.

Every attempt is made to enliven the concept but because it simply doesn't lend itself to a feature length film these attempts are doomed to failure, even if they weren't so hopelessly amateurish and inappropriate. They frequently employ six degrees of separation graphics as if they expect the audience to care that some guy's friend is a friend of some other guy's agent who knows someone who once worked with Barrymore. This kind of information is often presented in dramatic freeze frames as if to underline how important it is.

Presumably resulting from a dearth of imagination and creativity we're left with seemingly never-ending footage of Herzlinger approaching teenage girls outside malls and telling them what the film's about. "Oh, cool" they respond unenthusiastically - and this footage made the final cut! Next we see him unsuccessfully stopping people in the street and asking them to take part in "A survey about Drew Barrymore." It continues like this until the final scene, which I won't spoil. Things get mildly interesting (and decidedly awkward) for a few minutes and then - thankfully - it's over.

My Sad Pathetic Life.......

Author: Boggman from Laguna Hills, CA
30 November 2005

If I was broke and struggling to survive, as the "filmakers" in this little documentary claim to be doing.....I would be focusing my energies on my career & my life goals instead of asking my parents to send me checks so that I could eat, running around with a borrowed video camera that had to be returned in 30 days, and trying sooo desperately to get a date with my very famous childhood crush. And not even a real date really, more like a lunch a or dinner outing with somebody whose engaged and will always be completely out of any reach for most real men.

However , we aren't really talking about a real man in "My Date with Drew". We are talking about a hyperactive, struggling, quite possibly gay, Jewish 27 year old nobody who really needs to get a life. So maybe there's hope after all for all you losers out there. That is the real message of this film.

Whew ...I needed to get that off my chest. Having said that , there is no denying that "My Date with Drew" is a somewhat charming documentary about the underdog in all of us.

The movie itself isn't that great & isn't all that entertaining....but it does have a satisfying conclusion....even if it's not the one you'd originally expect.

Brian, the guy who desperately wants to meet Drew comes off as lovable......but also as a HUGE dork who ultimately should be focused on getting his S*** together instead of chasing around his childhood crush.

Hopefully Brian made some money off this project or otherwise this guy is headed for trouble! This movie isn't the worst. It's worth a one time viewing but thats about it.

Rent......don't buy!

Better than I thought

Author: sallicio (sallicio@hotmail.com) from Maryland
9 December 2005

The movie starts off dry and with a "Supersize Me" feel to it. However, if you can sit through the first fifteen minutes, it'll get better. I started this movie with my wife thinking that she would enjoy it more than I, although I had a pretty good time watching it. I am a prior-service US Marine and am currently a Deputy Sheriff and I can still identify with Brian even through all of the goofy not-so-suave antics displayed. I applaud him for making the movie and the wherewithal to follow through with his mission. The mind is like a parachute, it doesn't work unless it's open. Give the flick a chance.

PS Hey, Brian where's your mydatewithdrew.com website? I couldn't find it.

I'm sorry but I can't relate to this guy.

Author: cobitt from NY, NY
6 January 2006

I don't want to be mean, but I couldn't even laugh at how hopeless this guy was. I felt bad for him for about 5 minutes and then just wanted to beat his ass. That's right, this movie is about a loser trying to meet Drew Barrymore in 30 days. Problem is he only seems to spend about 2 hours a day doing any semblance of work to achieve this goal.

*Spoiler* The guy gets a chance to meet her at a movie premier and he can't even talk to her. How can you set out to make a documentary about asking someone out when the protagonist is such a pussy?? Anyways in the end Drew's publicist finds out about the project and probably said to her, "Look Drew, you're gonna seem like a huge bitch if you don't meet up with this guy," so they get together for an awkward 20 minute lunch. This is supposed to be the climax, but it's actually the low point of the movie. It plays out like a make a wish foundation story; Celebrity who feels sorry feigns interest in someone so pathetic that they have to be nice but don't want to touch them for fear of catching anything. If you read between the lines of her comment about her being an "instigator" or "motivator" in his life, you can hear her really saying, "Get a f@cking job."

Don't be duped like me!!

Author: lotusblossom0001 from United States
18 August 2005

This movie was awful. I have to agree with the person who said most of these reviews were written by people connected with the movie. My friends and I decided to watch this movie today because,like an idiot, I fell for the glorious comments about this movie being great and different. The only dream Brian has is of himself not Drew. She's just a vehicle for him to yap about himself on the big screen. It's not funny, it's not sweet, it's not witty, it's not inspirational. But it is really boring. I just registered for IMDb today right after I saw this nonsense so others won't be led astray like me. This site, I always felt, was for "real people" who ARE NOT connected with the movie in ANY way. This whole things smells like when Sony created the fake critic David Manning to promote their movies. But unlike that case, I won't get a $5 refund. And if this movie won any awards as one reviewer states, then I have a "documentary" of me sleeping I'd like to submit to the judges. You'll laugh, you'll cry, it's magic. Interestingly, it too is about dreams.

And if these reviews are truly sincere, well, then I will politely disagree with them. But honestly (hmmm...honesty, there's a loose concept),I think I'm one of the few people on this site that's actually seen the movie. It REEKS.

Gimmick city

Author: tgilliam12 from Los Angeles
30 December 2005

"Brian Herzlinger is an inspiration to anyone who..." wanted desperately to be famous. Seeing this film at HBO Comedy Fest, I did not understand how these guys did not get served with a lawsuit. Probably knowing a thing or two about law, they jumped through as many loopholes as they could to use Drew Barrymore's image.

Another issue I had with it was the fact that this film not only uses Barrymore but makes her an object to be desired. Is Barrymore a thing to be coveted? Does it not matter to this schlub that she actually has a boyfriend?

If anyone needed a gimmick it was them. And they used it. But judgig that, after the fests, it only lasted a weekend in already limited release, the gimmick does not work on audiences.

Boring and Fake Self-Promotion

Author: Claudio Carvalho from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
11 September 2007

I have just watched twenty minutes of "My Date with Drew" and I was initially irritated with the DVD released by "First Look" distributor, which wrongly indicates the availability of "closed caption" (cc) on the cover of the R1 DVD, which is not captioned, has only subtitles in Spanish. The shameful self-promotion of the author using the name and a poster of Drew Barrymore on the cover to attract naive viewers that expect to see a romantic comedy with Drew Barrymore is one of the dumbest things I have ever seen on DVD. However, the intention of the author was achieved and his "documentary" was distributed, inclusive I was misled and bought it. After twenty minutes, I really gave up watching it since I really could not believe it could improve. I love independent movie, but not this type of cheap opportunism. I used the forward button and I was surprised with the generosity of the magnificent Drew Barrymore, participating in this farce. My vote is one (awful).

Title (Brazil): "Meu Encontro Com Drew Barrymore" ("My Date With Drew Barrymore")

Page 1 of 9:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [Next]