IMDb > Kill Bill: Vol. 2 (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Kill Bill: Vol. 2

Kill Bill: Vol. 2 More at IMDbPro »

Page 2 of 95:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]

A bunch of rubbish with the worst anti-climax ever!

Author: dave_taylor999 from Reading, England
2 July 2004

This really is a poor film in my opinion. I really can't understand all the hype. The fighting is poor, and doesn't know what it wants to be. Half-kung-fu, half-comedy, and competent in neither. If you want a decent kung-fu fight, watch a kung-fu film, not this commercialised rubbish.

And the story and characters are pathetic. The premise is simple, a long quest for vengeance blahblahblah. But this simple story is somehow spread out over about 4 hours of viewing time (and indeed, this review could easily apply to the first film). Quite how boring I found this, as well as the insertion of pointless scenes (e.g. Budd in the nightclub - why add it if I can't even empathize with the character?), is indescribable.

And Tarentino's directing, particularly certain camera styles, is also way below-par. If I had seen this film and none of his others, I wouldn't think he was a half-decent director. Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction fortunately make up for this, but I feel that those films contributed to the misplaced hype surrounding this film.

And finally, the ending, which can be summed up in one word: "WHAT?!". I was expecting something, anything, from the ending, maybe a huge fight or some half-decent dialogue. What did I get? Some pointless ranting and the worst 'move' ever. The Five-Finger-Majiggy. Not only is this outrageously unrealistic (take four steps, talk for ages, another step and, ooh, he's dead. What a shocker) but it really did let down the film and was a wasted opportunity. I can only assume the script-writer gave up and they had to hire monkies to finish it off.

In climax (unlike the film), a massive letdown. This film doesn't belong in a genre (some people for some unfathomable reason call it a thriller) and doesn't belong in a cinema as far as I'm concerned. I have enjoyed many films which have a lesser reputation far more than I enjoyed this.

subtly disturbing

Author: (kiehlchristie@yahoo.com) from ithaca new york
24 April 2004

So the second half of Tarantino's epic Kill Bill promised to be the pick me up the first required to stand up and be validated. It failed miserably in that attempt. Beware, there may be some spoilers.

Kill Bill 2 suffers from a shift in directorial tone so drastic that much of what Tarantino so effectively did in the first one was lost. In the second installment the audience is shown the softer side of Thurman's character. Instead of the spectacle of Thurman out slaughtering hundreds of people in enacting her heroic vengeance, we see her succumb to the psychological trauma that would naturally follow from what she had just participated in. The empowered woman of the first installment (which is a problem in itself: giving a woman a sword and implying that she's empowered) had all together fallen apart and assumed the role of the helpless and weak.

Kill Bill 2 lacks the elaborately sarcastic violence that made the first volume close to palatable. The second is filled with an overtly sadistic misogyny that is disturbing to watch, for example, Budd shooting Thurman in the chest with rock salt and burying her alive after threatening to fill her eye-sockets with mace. All of this in an uncomfortably close quarters with Thurman so that we can watch her suffer. Where the first movie had fun with its overblown violence; the second relishes in a much more terribly painful place.

Kill Bill 2, does however; include some instances of rich dialogue. There is a scene where Carradine and Thurman discuss superheroes and why it is that they are popular. The audience learns the appeal of superman, where he differs from other super heroes. Instead of a human that changes to an alter ego, superman is an alter ego that changes into a human. This conversation is reminiscent of Tarantino's older works, but is short-lived.

One of the problems with the Kill Bill movies may actually be with more than just the movie. Tarantino champions the middle-class white male perspective, and this perspective becomes visible if we consider the stereotypes adopted by each character. For example in the first movie we see a juxtaposition of two kinds of stereotypes imposed on Japanese women by American men. The first is the school girl, adopted by Oren Ishi's body guard, and the other is Oren herself, dressed in traditional Japanese garb for the final battle with Thurman. In the first installment, Tarantino effectively wrapped these stereotypes and issues into a sardonic and nearly humorous violence. In the second, Tarantino disregards that tone. So what the audience is left with is a plot that very subtly declares a deeper malaise beyond the movie. It exposes an unspoken evolution in American racism and sexism, and I believe it does so unintentionally.

Half of what made me feel ill when I left the movie theater last Sunday was the movie, and the other half was its being so popular

So amazingly overrated! This film sucks big time!!!!

Author: Giorgio_de_la_giungla from London, England
22 May 2004

Everybody seems to be in awe with Kill Bill Volume 2 but compared to Voulme One this film is a crapfest. I can't believe the same person made both films! Firstly the tagline for Volume One was "In 2003 Uma will Kill Bill" and she didn't and we had to wait 6 months to see how she did kill him and now I find out it really wasn't worth the wait. Quentin Tarantino is THE most overrated director on the planet, sure sure he's made some good films but I can't get over the fact that he has said in the past that he wants to make no bad films so anybody new discovers his films in the future will never find a bad link between them all, but this film IS bad! It's terribly bad!

I adored Volume 1, it did exactly what it said on the tin, and a whole lot more. Moreover it was essentially a samurai film and was perfectly set in Japan. Volume 2 however is set mainly in that miserable part of America where they made ALL John Waynes' films and the entire samurai thing just doesn't wash there.

Samuel L. Jackson has a much talked about cameo which amounted to absolutely NOTHING! It was so lame, he just sat at his organ in the wedding chapel and said something that was I imagine supposed to be 'cool' but it wasn't, it was just meaningless.

**SPOILERS ahead** (if anything could 'spoil' this film hahaha).

Uma Thurman repeatedly wrote out her death list thing in volume one, writing down the people she HAD to kill for revenge, however although she did kill her enemies in Volume 1, she manages to only kill 1 of the 3 remaining villains in Vol.2. This sucks. I imagine there is supposed to be some 'inner meaning' and crap like that as to the way she deals with Daryl Hannah, but I thought their entire fight was much like their swords: unsheathed. Michael Madson was a waste of time. He's well passed his best, he looks like the contents of a can of pork.

David Carradine who seemed so genuinely frightening in Volume One where you only got to see his hands and hear his voice is an absolute WASTE OF TIME in Vol.2. I cannot think of a more boring character to have ever graced the cinema. He made me want to slip into a coma. When he started talking he went on and on and on and didn't stop. Hell bells, they didn't even fight! The final death was sooooooooooooooo obvious it wasn't even funny. The people who saw it coming (ie people with IQ's higher than 59 --read: out of all the people who have reviewed this film on the IMDb, I appear to be the only one in that +59 class) had to sit through 45 minutes of talk, knowing that there was not going to be any kind of fight, because we'd figured out the most obvious plot device in recent memory! It was agonizing waiting for this film to end!

End of **SPOILERS**!!

I don't trush Quentin Taratino anymore. He's useless. He even said himself that directors have a great period of around 10 years and then they start to slip and they never make anything good again, and now his career has followed that pattern. His supporters will hark on endlessly about his 'dialogue', but when the dialogue sends you to sleep then you know you're in trouble. Anyway, what is the point of having a lot of exposition in a martial arts film anyway?? Well I suppose his supporters could say that Kill Bill 2 is NOT a martial arts films, which would ironically be true! It's just nothing. There are several scenes which set up characters, which last for about 20 minutes each which would have been no loss had they been cut out of the film. One part is setting up Budd's job at a strip club. This has no point for he leaves the club and never returns and it has nothing to do with the plot. Sure it was trying to say Budd was a worthless bum, except Daryl Hannah comes along later and basically makes that clear herself! Another dire moment (of the 20 minute variety) is the scene involving Bill's father figure, some old South American greaser who runs a brothel, this adds NOTHING to the film, or even the characters!

This film is like watching Dune the TV series that was made out of the film by adding in loads of deleted scenes and extending each scene to last 20 minutes, because it is so obvious that inside there is a great film but it just can't breathe as it is trapped under all the extra expostional scenes and scenes that should have been left out anyway.

Kill Bill Vol. 1 I would give 9/10, but Vol.2 only get 2/10 and that 2 is only for the first third of the film, which was OK. This film is so overrated that it hurts.

It transcends its genre and becomes Tarantino's most thoughtful and sophisticated work

Author: The 14th Warrior from Atlanta, GA
15 April 2004

In my brief, initial review of 'Kill Bill Vol. 1.' I made the regrettable mistake of dismissing it as exceedingly pleasing yet unsubstantial stylistic masturbation, lacking the profundity and characterizations of Tarantino's previous works. Rarely have I been happier to be proven wrong.

What once seemed like somewhat incoherent cinematic recklessness has, after viewing the second part of Mr. Tarantino's saga, revealed itself to be wild, imaginative and brilliant filmmaking. As a whole, 'Kill Bill' is utterly unified (not despite but because of the radical shift in tone), possesses a strong, dramatic ark, and, above all, stands as quite possibly the most passionate, loving tribute to cinema I have ever seen. While part one pays homage to Brian De Palma, Dario Argento and the Shaw Brothers, part two cites, among many others, Jean-Luc Godard, Sergio Leone, and Robert Siodmark.

But that's far from all.

In his critical essay 'The Cinema of the Cool', Kevin Murphy suggests that Tarantino must move on and grow up to fully realize his potential as a filmmaker. In my opinion, with this piece, he has done so. Those merely seeking the blood-splattered, broken-bone action of Vol. 1 will be severely disappointed by Vol. 2, which is infinitely more thoughtful, pondering the nature of violence, both in cause and effect. While the action in the first installment was great, comic book fun, here it becomes severely unpleasant, cringe inducing, and never without consequence. If anything, it reminded me of the great Akira Kurosawa's work. Remarkable.

A Tarantino masterpiece that surpasses its predecessor.

Author: psagray from Spain
4 August 2014

In this film Quentin offers a masterful, deafening, powerful, highly intelligent and committed to the vengeance of the Bride closure. You could say that the film follows the path of revenge of the Bride, now more determined than ever to exterminate without mercy or compassion. Now face the most dangerous and winding up of course get to Bill.

The film opens with a spectacular takeover of Bill and groom before this is case, the scene is spectacular, its dialogue before slaughter is prodigious. And so begins this sensational film. Again with the same great technical partners, Quentin tries a mix of genres here but what stands out is a clear influence of Spagetti- western, the soundtrack is brighter than in the first part (thanks to his friend Robert Rodriguez).

With less gruesome violence in the first part, this film much more dialogue, explores the feelings of the bride and the fine because of his revenge, Tarantino shines every scene and gives a single tone, the film is a delight impressive. Better and more noticeable than its previous, the film falls into gloating and is captivating in every frame. The cheers are definitely are great for Uma Thurman who lends body and soul to her role in the films remain his masterful performance in both films. Superb work David Carradine, great, Bill has his words. Excellent also the violent and terrible Elle Driver Daryl Hannah and Michael Madsen excellent.

Everything is cause for admiration here, Tarantino gave us a masterpiece without doubt and is positioned as a perfectionist and retailer of huge professionalism.

I can't believe it's not butter...

Author: podryan from United States
25 September 2006

I will admit, this film has a great first impression. For anyone who loves fireworks or laser lights, this is definitely the film for you. For anyone who likes books or classical music, maybe something a little more drab and tasteful is more for you. Unfortunately, I'm more of book person, myself.

While I love a decent and mindless action flick, that wasn't ALL I was expecting from Tarantino in these movies. I admired the lofty dialogue that Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction bared, but that suddenly disappeared. In fact, it was replaced with overpoweringly cheesy dialogue! What happened? I will admit, however, a very admirable conversation between Bill and B about Superman had me thinking, "Wow, cool stuff." As far as I can see, this film does a great job of capturing the majority of mindless audiences out there, which is probably why more people actually care about his previous films. Because, good lord, it's cool to like QT now! And while capturing such an audience and gaining that can of recognition CAN be considered an achievement, somewhat, a movie with all style and NO substance is a B movie, period.

No amount of guide-wire flipping or blood-spray can change the fact that this movie is a pretty cheap attempt to gain an audience. Oh, but of course, it's all about revenge. The one of many quotes in the tagline says so. Poor B must Kill Bill (*shivers*) because he killed her friends, took her baby, and then tried to kill her. So.... in turn...now she must..... Kill Bill..

Case and point, why do I really care? Yeah, it's that simple. The title itself could be the only dialogue in the entire movie and it wouldn't change a thing. Read the title, no need to read the back.

The Kill Bill series is a bottle rocket, nothing more. Do yourself a favor and save up for the fourth of July.

Disappointing

Author: JonSnowsMother from England
3 March 2008

The movie wasn't bad and i am not saying you should avoid it. But after a thrilling and great first movie i was expecting this to be just as good but even though Tarantino did a good job and some impressive acting by Uma Thurman. What the film lacks is the poor storyline. If you've seen the first film you will realise the lack of fights which was shocking enough.

Like i said earlier the film has a weak storyline and the only way to make it better is a good screenplay and even though it starts off quite good it turns poor near the end.

One thing the movie did do very well was the acting Uma Thurman and David Carradine give good strong performances. One problem with the movie is a big twist happens near the end and it is poorly done for such an important scene. This film isn't bad just that if you enjoyed the first film don't get so excited but i am sure most big Tarantino fans will enjoy it.

Kill Bore Vol. 2

Author: Mark Hale (extravaluejotter@hotmail.com) from United Kingdom
1 July 2007

I couldn't watch it to the end. Well, I kind of knew what was going to happen anyway. Quentin Tarantino was going to meander around, alternating pointless violence with hip dialogue until Uma Thurman's character finally got her revenge. Or not. To be honest I really didn't care if Beatrix set up home with Bill and they baked cookies together forever instead of her killing him.

Everything that was wrong with the first movie is wrong with this one in spades, despite the contributions of some talented actors and some fine cinematography. Overlong, derivative and self-indulgent, Quentin Tarantino's homage to world cinema mediocrity really knows how to outstay its welcome.

I honestly hope that Tarantino has another film like "Reservoir Dogs" or "Jackie Brown" in him. It would be tragic if the last films he ever made were as pointlessly bad as "Kill Bill" 1 & 2.

On the whole, so to speak, or by itself, the second part of Kill Bill fits the Tarantinian psychology

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
22 August 2004

Although, as a film buff myself, having a whole Kill Bill epic in one sitting would've been satisfying, like the first part that was split Vol. 2 works extraordinarily well. In terms of storytelling it's direct and (of course) unconventional, in style Tarantino pays homage/borrows (or depending on your point of view steals) from most of the films that stew around in his arsenal. And with dialog, in maybe a couple of moments it doesn't seem up to par, but it's not often. And the acting is in the greatest tradition of B-movie, spaghetti western, shaw-brothers, kung-fu et. all. If you look at both Kill Bills it's fascinating as a movie buff to discover things you haven't seen before (i.e. the whole blood-coated style of the climax in vol. 1) and things you recognize right away (i.e. the unmistakable songs of Ennio Morricone, who is just as creditable as Leone for Tarantino's style).

What's there to say about the story, except that it picks up where it left off? Sort of- as usual, the non-linear story aspect kicks in, and two sections of the film derail from the continuing story of revenge on the DIVAs and Bill (the squad members this time being the perfectly paced in tone and presence Michael Madsen as Budd, and Daryl Hannah's most vindictive role as Elle Driver). At first, we get a stark, black and white view of what the "Massacre at Two Pines" was like, and right away we're introduced (finally) to Bill, played by David Carradine, one of the most calm, affecting film villain performances in recent memory. The other derailment is to tell the immensely entertaining story of The Bride's training by the heavy-duty Pai Mei (Gordon Liu, in one of his performances in the whole KB saga). This could be counted as the funnest part of the film, aside from a few key moments, as the camera sweeps from medium to close up happen every thirty seconds or so.

In the acting department, as I've said, Tarantino gets a big boost- this could be counted as being one of the key performances of not only Carradine's career, but Thruman's as well. They elevate the mood of Tarantino's (sometimes) tongue-in-cheek dialog, but they're also pro's that do their best when it comes time to the showdown, with monologues that come close to being QT's most memorable (although not his best- as cool as it all sounds, it doesn't hit the Pulp Fiction marker). When it does end, the whole operatic sense of the film seems to work, and to the audience it will either be a fitting end or a disappointment. It is, at least, the most ambitious action/comedy/drama/kung-fu/western/romance film (this is referring to Vol. and both volumes together) in many a moon; it's a lot like opening up the filmmaker's skull, and getting a scrambled up dosage of his memories and references, and it works much more often than not. Oh, and how about a bit of applause to Bob Richardson and Michael Parks! A+

Lifetime-Worthy!

Author: lissotrichous1 from United States
5 September 2005

Lamest sequel ever!

I kind of liked Kill Bill 1, but this ruined all of it.

It didn't have the same over-the-top stylization, humor, anything original.

It'll be on Lifetime forever, cuz it's all soap opera drama about the cliché man-who-done-her-wrong; "I told you it was your baby (boo-hoo, why didn't you believe me when I said you were the only one)?" I was not expecting baby-mama drama, and a lengthy girl-power sermon.

How does anyone like this movie???

It's too corny for guys, yet too violent for girls. It tries to please everybody, but that just tells you what you should have already known : Tarantino's a no-talent sell-out brown-noser.

Page 2 of 95:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [Next]