IMDb > Hum Tum (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]

Fantastic Bollywood entertainment

Author: Peter Young from Earth
27 August 2009

Hum Tum is an extremely modern and lighthearted romantic comedy. It is very well directed, beautifully shot, and is interesting and entertaining. Kunal Kohli makes a very good job in depicting the world of young Indians who travel the world and live their individual lives with passion and independence. The portrayal of relationships between the characters in the film, particularly that of the main lead, Karan and Riya, is handled with a mind-blowing mix of comedy and emotional drama. The film moves at a steady pace, the animated characters of 'Hum' and 'Tum' are really fun, the music is suitably racy, the cinematography and editing are excellent, and the entire concept of following the hate-to-love relationship of two young people for a period of several years across many different countries, is refreshing and convincingly done.

The film leans on a truly electrifying chemistry between the two leads, Saif Ali Khan and Rani Mukherjee. Mukherjee is very appealing and natural and performs brilliantly throughout the film, but it is Saif Ali Khan who steals the show big time. Playing a trendy, humorous, carefree yet gracious womaniser, Khan seems to be tailor-made for the role of Karan, which gives him ample scope to showcase his superb comic-timing and never-seen-before acting skills. He performs with natural ease, infusing the part with the right amount of depth, wit and energy, and always appearing so real and effortless that it can be rightly concluded that no one else would have been able to do it as well as he did. This is an exceptional, unforgettable performance and, according to me, one of the greatest comic-dramatic performances in history.

In support, Rishi Kapoor is very enjoyable in one of his finest and funniest performances. Kirron Kher is outstanding and simply hilarious in an all-out comic part as the loud and loving mother. Rati Agnihotri is as beautiful as ever in a smaller part, and Jimmy Shergill and Isha Koppitar provide great support. The soundtrack, as already mentioned, perfectly suits the film's mood; the title song is particularly beautiful. Please note, Hum Tum is definitely not a rip-off of When Harry Met Sally, as some people have suggested. There are some tiny similarities in the general concept but nothing more than just that, and it has pretty much a story of its own. Finally, Hum Tum is a lovely and memorable film. It is both very funny and moving, and is overall a heartwarming picture which can always be a great watch for the entire family.

Entertained hum, now it's tum's turn

Author: aashish from Houston, Texas
9 July 2004

A well executed production. Funny and entertaining throughout. The movie had a light-hearted feel to it and was stylistically superb. Saif Ali Khan's performance was excellent. I don't quite understand what's happened to him. It's like one morning he wakes up and all of a sudden he's amongst the top actors in Bollywood.

I'm not a big fan of songs in movies, but the songs in this one were amusing and fitting.

The movie did have some cheesy, tear-jerking moments... but it can be forgiven as there were plenty of hilarious moments to keep you entertained.

Go watch this movie. 10/10.

An EXCELLENT movie with style and class

Author: fairygrammarmother from United States
30 August 2005

Hum Tum literally means Me and You.

At a book review for the new little cartoon, Hum Tum, journalists ask Karan Kapoor (Saif Ali Khan)if his story is hidden in the story that he wrote. Someone asks him what his story is, and Karan agrees to tell them. He begins where he first met a girl named Riya (Rani Mukherjee) on a New York destined flight. They meet and on a long layaway in Amsterdam, they can agree on one thing. They loathe each other. Riya thinks that she will never see Karan again, but she is wrong. When she is to wed Sameer, she sees Karan again. Karan was the wedding planner's (Rati Agnihotri) son. They still loathe each other, but Karan starts feeling a pull towards her. They have a couple of other quirky meetings that may either end in love or misery for them both.

As the main story is going on, Karan's cartoons take life and basically form a subplot. Hum and Tum are, ironically, each of the cartoon characters' names. Hum is the boy, and Tum is the girl. At first, they aren't friends, and as Karan's story goes on, theirs goes on in a similar way. Will Hum and Tum ever get together and form the celebrated Hum Tum? Or will they also never ever fall in love?

This movie is a very cute, clean romance between two people. It is not one of the regular Bollywood formulas, there is no parental interventions, and it just shows that love may develop over time. The romance that develops between Riya and Karan is strong, that even after viewing the movie, the watcher feels that they have been given something different from regular romantic movies. I recommend this film highly for anyone who even thinks of watching a Bollywood movie. Yes, there are cartoons, but they in no way detract from the movie.

Good Movie. Worth seeing once.

Author: roar_n_bleat from Dubai, UAE
6 June 2004

The storyline is inspired from When Harry Met Sally, but the indianised version with a few foreign cities thrown in is a good entertainer. Karan, a cartoonist, meets Rhea on a flight to New York. They get well acquainted during a 6 hour stop over in Amsterdam. They have a fall out and they end up going their separate ways once they get to New York. Their chance meetings over then next few years and how their friendship develops gradually over time and how they end up falling in love without even realizing it forms the gist of the story. Saif Ali Khan fits Karan's role perfectly and Rani makes a wonderful Rhea. Even the supporting cat has done a great job. The use of the cartoon characters Hum and Tum in the story narrative adds some color to the movie. It is a welcome change from the cop flicks that have dominated the Indian screen in 2004. All in all, a wonderful movie, worth watching at least once on the big screen.

From now on will it be "When Karan met Rhea? "

Author: Manuja from Middle Earth
4 October 2004

The similarity to When Harry Met Sally is obvious at the beginning of the movie, but besides the plot following a chronological time frame similar to that movie, there is little else in common. The story is entirely different. What I loved about this movie was that it was not a "love at first sight", or your regular "boy meets girl" type movie. It was much more realistic in approach, and a lot more intelligent.

I loved Saif's acting. Saif has finally come to his own. His comic timing is excellent, just like in Kal Ho Na Ho. But you see him portray a touching sensitivity in certain scenes when it is required.Like the scene where he is trying to tell Rhea how sorry he is about her husband dying.I liked Rani as Rhea,her character is both strong and sensitive.

The dialogs where really good. The scene of the argument between Rhea and Karan at Mihir's (Jimmy Shergill), engagement is my favorite scene in the movie, bar the conversation between Rhea and Mihir, when she finally realizes why she and Karan are so short tempered with each other.

This part of the movie has the most depth, when things come to an "anti-climax between Karan and Rhea. Karan offering her marriage after the night they spent together, and Rhea refusing was possibly the most sensitively written scene in the film. It's obvious why Karan asks her to marry him, but only a women would understand why Rhea refuses him. Not your typical Indian movie. Kiron and Rishi add the final touch to the movie. Their characters are well written. The cartoon "Hum Tum" was so funny and innovative, they are the most memorable characters in the movie.

Watch it. It's a heart warming story. Really good for a cold winter's evening.

Soothing...Reaaly Good Flick...

Author: Arun Kapoor (hellwithuall_ak@yahoo.co.in) from India
9 January 2006

Hum Tum is a movie with a concrete substance and deep meaning in it.A movie definitely worth one's bucks and I am not saying this just for the heck of it...

One thing that we must definitely note is the fact that with this movie Saif Ali Khan established himself as a quality actor,traces of the which had been visible in the role he did in Dil Chahta Hai...The followup of this same movie for Saif came with Kal Ho Naa Ho and Parineeta that have given him unquestionable fame and concreteness as one of the leading hunks and deserving actors of the Hindi Cinema...

Talking about the music and songs of the movie...What shall we say...Fabulous in short...Very soothing and soft and above all the lyrics carry a meaning...The songs are in a perfect harmony with the story and no where can we say that they have been put as mere add ons...Quality Indian Cinema in short...

Finally not to forget the one and only,Rani Mukherjee who has delivered in the movie like she always did earlier...More accolades to you lady...

I thoroughly enjoyed watching it...Wish you the same people...

Nice flick

Author: AishFan from San Jose, CA, US
13 June 2004

I enjoyed Hum Tum. To no one's surprise, Saif and Rani did a superb job. I don't think anyone has better comic timing than Saif. He's a natural actor. Rani has always worked really hard. Songs were great. I especially liked the Mere Dil Vich Hum Tum track and the title song. Like all other Yash Raj films, this movie has a very fresh feeling. I was rather delighted to see all the guest appearances. I was completely unaware of that. I really am not a fan of Rishi Kapoor. I don't know why, but I find him really irritating. He just doesn't seem that convincing to me. The cartoons got really irritating. It's weird, in the middle of a real-people movie, to all of a sudden start watching cartoon characters. Thankfully, the cartoons died down a bit in the second half. It's also a bit annoying how the film spans over nine years. Every half hour it says "3 years later," "1 year later," "4 years later." Being a Yash Raj film, my expectations for this movie were super-duper high, but I still liked it. It's a fun-filled romantic comedy.

Let the battle begin!

Author: Dingataca from London, England
14 February 2007

The Hindi remake of "When Harry Met Sally". Its pretty damn good, with killer music, and a lot of style! But it does have its flaws. The movie gets a bit dreary near the second half, and starts to slow down. Either way, I liked the way Kunal Kohli showed the feelings of the two main characters. Hatred at first - and then it warms up. It is very realistic, and many will identify.

Saif Ali Khan is mindblowing. This is my favourite image from Saif, the playboy-wannabe. He does a remarkable job, and I think he deserved every award he got for Hum Tum. I enjoyed every second of his performance. Rani Mukherji also does a wonderful job. She looks very pretty, and pulls off Rhea with ease. She and Saif have a great chemistry on screen and it shows very well.

Hum Tum is a slow, but deeply emotional, funny movie! The ending was slightly obvious, though it seems impossible when you see the climax. And I loved the way the animation and "3 years later" etc, was added.

The music is catchy. Each song fits in beautifully and all are enjoyable. They add an extra point to Hum Tum.

I love it!

more than what it seems

Author: (methinks@gmail.com) from india
22 June 2004

on the surface, everyone's condemning it for its 'inspired' storyline. but then, even Shakespeare picked up stories from the common database. i am not comparing it to his work.. you could point a finger at its not so original storyline, but credit is due where it is due. the movie is refreshing in the treatment it gives the girl-guy thing. it incorporates a cartoon strip = animation smoothly. and, not only does the movie manage to stay restrained almost throughout without following the general "second half" drag, it also deals with more than just the "cover story" or theme.

at its base is this endearingly constant bickering and loving relationship between karan and rhea. but go a little deeper and you see the sub plots of the rishi kapoor-rati agnihotri marriage-that-didn't-work, and the lonely kirron kher. kunal kohli deals with the theme of loneliness, and puts his point forward subtly in their stories. no one can live alone. and finding a way to make relationships work - is in our hands after all - as rati says towards the end - god might not give us a second chance, but we have to find it for ourselves.

the movie is realistic enough - contrary to what some of the obtuse commentors have posted already. and definitely a complete whole structure. minor glitches notwithstanding, it's a delightfully entertaining and heartwarming movie.

Good Film!

Author: Candice from United Arab Emirates
7 September 2004

After seeing Hum Tum here are my opinions on the film. Story: Obviously not original, but the writers have handled the subject well and the result is a refreshing romantic, comedy. Acting: Saif Ali Khan is brilliant, no other actor would have been able to enact the role of Karan Kapoor as well as how Saif has done it. His humor and comic timing is perfect. And with this film he has proved that he can do solo hero films as well. Rani Mukherjee has shown once again that she is one of the finest actresses today, her pairing with Saif is flawless. Kiron Kher is First Rate as Rani's mother, . Rati Agnihotri is adequate and Rishi Kapoor is fine in a small role. Although the screenplay is good in the first half, during the second half and towards the climax the film drags and is very much predictable towards the end. I don't think the cartoon characters helped the proceedings in anyway. The cinematography is awesome, and the music is great, especially the title track, Chak De and Ladki Kyon. And they have been shot well too. On the whole a good film, with wonderful performances and great music. I give it 8.5/10

Page 1 of 5:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [Next]