IMDb > Destino (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Destino More at IMDbPro »

Just a simple love story as only Salvador Dali could tell it

Author: Galina from Virginia, USA
23 April 2005

I spent the day yesterday in Philadelphia Museum of Art. One of the reasons I went there was to try to see the Salvador Dali's exhibitions but the tickets have been sold until the end of April. While in the museum, I was able to see two films that Dali was a big part of. In the video Gallery of the museum, two intriguing projects have been running together in the continuous loop, the early "Un Chien Andalou" (17 minutes) and the recently released, animated Destino (6 minutes). This was the first viewing for me. I kept coming back to the gallery for few more times and I never was tired of both short films.

What would've happened if Salvador Dali and Walt Disney had decided to work together on a project? The answer is "Destino" , the 6 minutes, 40 seconds long animated film based on a Mexican love ballad entitled "Destino". Dali and Disney admired each other's work and their meeting at a dinner party in 1945, inspired the idea for collaboration. Although, the film was abandoned in 1946 due to the economic problems created by WWII, Dali's storyboards, sketches, and paintings were saved. Work began on Destino in May 2001 and in June 2003, "Destino" premiered at the Annecy International Animation Film Festival.

Set to the Mexican ballad, the idea behind the film was described by Disney as "just a simple love story - boy meets girl". Dali called it "a magical exposition on the problem of life in the labyrinth of time". The end result is a tender, beautiful, sad, and charming love story as only Dali could imagine it, complete with the images as only he could create by the power of his imagination - melting clocks, tuxedo-clad eyeballs without faces, ballerinas, ants that turn into bicycles, and surprising baseballs.

Beautiful

Author: JonBowerbank from San Francisco, CA
21 February 2004

Although it wasn't completely made by the original collaborators (Dali & Walt Disney), it still has their vision taken from their storyboards. This is classic Dali mixed with a female protagonist who has the familiar Disney style face.

Great story, with a wonderful somewhat tragic ending.

Its brevity is only equaled by its brilliance

Author: John Richards (monolith94) from Newburyport, MA
18 January 2004

The best film of the year might not be Lord of the Rings: Return of the King. In fact, it might not even be 90 minutes long.

The best film of the year might just be Destino, the long awaited finalization of the original collaboration between Walt Disney and Salvador Dali.

Using a seamless combination of CGI and traditional hand drawn animation, the animators of Disney's Paris studio have created something of bewildering beauty and unrivaled maturity.

In a mere five minutes, in this surreal story of two characters, I saw more pure aesthetic beauty and truth of the human condition than in most of the films I have seen here. The film's subject is desire, imagination, images and struggle. In ballet like grace, a woman, who connects herself with the shadow of a bell, becomes enraptured with a man, who emerges from rock. In the dance, they struggle with both imagery.

Destino does more than simply dazzle with its images - it imbues them with real meaning. As if that wasn't enough, it goes a step further, and adds new to dimension to Dali's entire collected works. I will never look at a Dali painting in quite the same way after watching this short film.

The animated short is an old and prestigious form. From Winsor McKay's first sketchs (which are remarkably good) to modern revelations such as "The Man Who Planted Trees", the animated short has pressed animation further, and provided audiences with stories worthy of telling and retelling. Destino continues in this fine tradition admirably. Being lucky enough to watch this on the big screen is an experience I will treasure forever.

An Artist View

Author: Dancefloorgraphics from United States
12 February 2008

I discovered this wonderful film on a cruise this winter, it was shown by Park West Galleries as part of a seminar. For me it was love at first site and I quickly fell in love with not only the movie but the art work Salvador Dali produced as concepts for it.

In the end I purchased a set of seven lithographs that Dali created and to my joy the set came with a copy of the film Destino. I can say that am am undoubtedly a proud owner and love the great addition to my collection.

Some have called this film uninteresting, to this I am at a loss for words. to see the brain child of Walt Disney and Salvador Dali come to life is incredible. I admit, children and those who view Dali's work as 'weird' will probably not enjoy this short masterpiece.

If you ever get a chance to see the film do not hesitate to do so. Even if you do not like the premise the film is a tribute to the brilliant minds of both Walt and Salvador.

A touch too Disney but still engaging and visually distinctive film that matches Dalí's original designs

Author: bob the moo from United Kingdom
1 October 2007

Originally conceived as a joint project between Disney and Dalí back in the 1940's, this short animation never got to the stage of being completed for various reasons and instead existed as paintings and storyboards Dalí made with Disney animator John Hench. These were on display at the Tate Modern as part of the exhibition "Dalí & Film" and I did like the fact that I could see the creation of the film and then step next door to watch it and see how close it came to the original design from over fifty years before.

Watching it is a strange but enjoyable experience because it is at once Disney and Dalí and this is a combination that I didn't think sat all that well together thematically or visually. I did get used to it but it did jar with me to see a woman with a typical modern Disney face, suddenly becoming part of a Dalí's creation. Perhaps this was the intension but it did feel a bit like someone was flicking a switch somewhere to go Dalí then Disney then back again – not so much a combination of styles as the two being placed next to one another in one piece. This feeling aside though, it is a quiet engaging and enjoyable film that I enjoyed immensely visually. Dalí's vision is brought to life really well and the images from his storyboard and paintings generally are instantly recognisable.

Again I did wonder if the film would have been quite so "Disney" if it had been made in 1946 with the man himself directly involved – at times I did feel that I was watching Pocahontas and it did take away from the experience a little bit. Fortunately the storyboards prevent it going too far from the original images and as such it is interesting and imaginative; the CGI is a blessing and a curse though. On one hand it makes all this possible but on the other it seems significantly less real than Dalí's actual paintings – I'm not sure quite why but I think the colours are too simple and the imagery lacking in the detail that some of his work has.

Overall though, it is still an enjoyable and enchanting film and a chance to see Dalí's images flowing across the screen. Perhaps a little too Disneyified for my tastes, it is still well worth seeing for the chance to enter a Dalí painting and follow a story about loss and love.

outstanding

Author: (buckeyeboy@comcast.net) from United States
11 July 2006

I had a chance to view the Destino DVD and was highly impressed. I was impressed so much that I bought a suite (set of 6)from the time line done by Dali and Disney. The DVD captures the true surrealism that Disney (who would ever think of a talking mouse) and Dali is famous for. These two individuals that one would think we be as far apart in personalities would actually come up with one the best short films and some of the most treasured art work ever created. I am truly blessed to have seen such a work of art and truly honored to own a piece of history. If you have the chance to see the DVD or own some of the art work that has come out of this experience, jump on it. It is very rare that two famous individuals with such diverse backgrounds collaborate on such a unique piece.

Short Review of Destino

Author: ccircosta2002 from St. Petersburg, Florida
20 October 2004

I had the privilege to see Destino at the Salvador Dalí Museum in St. Petersburg, Florida.

It's the only place in the world where it plays on a regular basis.

It six minutes I believe.

I thought it was beautiful.

Enchanting.

If you can, see it.

I absolutely loved it.

Words fail to describe it

Author: Amanda from Boston, MA
26 March 2004

There is no other way to visually match the haunting and lyrical piece, Destino. Utilizing a stunning array of Dali's most iconic pieces, this short tells a very emotional tale. It has left me without words to describe it. Simply, it is beautiful, breath-taking, stunning, and almost lyrical in the fluid change of the figures and icons.

The melody will haunt you for days as you struggle to fully grasp this masterpiece.

However, it is at times too Fantasia-like, too Disney, and not enough Dali. It can be taken as a superficial composition, but I like to think of it as more, as though Dali knew something that we do not and this short serves to inform us of his secret.

History...Today

Author: patraallen1 from United States
2 July 2006

This was a fantastic example of the good that technology brings.I was delighted by it and I am thrilled that this dream was brought to fruition.

Who ever thought Dali and Disney would collaborate. A must see it is moving art, song, and poetry! And a huge credit to the art world. If you are an art enthusiast, Or if you are enthralled by Disney's darker side, find a way to see it. The imagery is classic Dali. I understand many could be turned off by some of the images brought to screen by Dali in the past i.e. the Andilusian Dog, but Disney's influence is clearly visible. The musical score is haunting and at times Very indicative of Classic Disney scores. If you like animated shorts, the art of Dali, and are open minded you will enjoy this one.

Out of Dali by Disney and worth watching more than once

Author: Robert Reynolds (minniemato@hotmail.com) from Tucson AZ
25 February 2014

This short was nominated for an Academy Award for Animated Short. There will be spoilers ahead:

This is the latter-day result of an unlikely collaboration between Salvador Dali and Walt Disney begun in the 1940s and ultimately set aside and forgotten until rediscovered by Roy Disney and completed almost 60 years later.

It's impossible to mistake this as anything but a collaboration between Dali and Disney. While it reminds one of Fantasia, it's likely that the short would have disappeared without a trace had it been completed as originally scheduled. If anything, it's even more esoteric and artistically inclined than Fantasia and Fantasia was widely seen as a flop. As a short it would have set the studio back far less financially than Fantasia did as a feature, but Disney was already starting to have trouble making back the costs of its shorts because Walt Disney had such high expectations from even his shorts. That financial pressure was part of what put this in mothballs in the first place.

It would have been interesting to see what the Disney studios would have made of this in the late 1940s-early 1950s. As it is now, this looks for all the world like a series of Dali paintings brought to life and set in motion. Half melted objects, a likeness or two of Dali and other Dali trademarks given the Disney touch make this a fascinating curiosity and the quality of the backgrounds and character designs is magnificent.

This is available on the Blu-Ray release of Fantasia 2000 and looks beautiful, particularly in HD. There's also a feature length documentary on the project on the same disc which I haven't seen but which looks to be very good itself. Well worth watching. Most recommended.