IMDb > Dear Frankie (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dear Frankie

Dear Frankie More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 19: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Will there be a part 2

Author: Janet Geary (mysticbluiis12861@yahoo.com) from United States
7 June 2006

We watched dear Frankie, and were very moved by the story line. The question we would like to ask is will there be a part 2? We were so hoping that the guy would come back and all would live happily ever after. I'm hoping on that ending you could write another. OK! If it can't have a happy ending, then at least bring the guy back. Maybe, the boys real dads family try to take him from his mom and Dave comes back and helps. At that point, he could reveal his past. Was he married, have any children, if so did they leave him or was he somewhat of a bad guy himself. With no past or history, maybe he hiding from someone or something. Or did his wife run off on him with another guy and they die tragically, and he feels to blame for never being there. So as you see not only does he help Lizzie, and in turn she helps him. With this in mind it draws them closer together. As you can see we really need a sequel to this movie. we just can't live without one. Our only other request is that you keep the actors the same. Thank you very much for hearing us out, and we are looking forward to part 2.

Dear Frankie

Author: Lisa Elliott (moab.is.my.washpot@hotmail.com) from Australia
6 June 2006

This movie is just warm, gooey and lovely. I bet even W.C. Fields would have been happy enough to work with young Jack McElhone if it meant having a performance like this to look back on. Wow! As usual, Sharon Small is a complete delight. And can I just say to those women responsible for creating the character of The Stranger and the casting of Gerard Butler in that role - you are really really mean! Talk about heightening a young girl's romantic illusions to unrealistic levels! Wonderful men like The Stranger just don't exist, and I am quite certain that they wouldn't come in as delightful a package as Mr Butler, but movies like this get us thinking it might be possible. This isn't a good thing! Shame on you, yet at the same time, thanks very very much!

Lovely Film

Author: msree from Florida, United States
6 May 2006

I'm not sure how I heard about this film, but I'm glad I sought it out. It's an almost perfect film. It draws you in slowly, bringing you into the characters lives gradually. You don't know everything that's happening from the get-go. You get attached to the characters the same way, gradually, almost without noticing it. The performances are wonderful, not overdone or contrived, just real. Half the "dialog" of the movie is non-verbal, the actor's facial expressions and body positions saying so much. And the excellence of Auerbach's direction is proved by its invisibility. You feel like you dropped into these people's lives, you watch them for a little while and then you leave. I'm glad I made the trip.

Please make a sequel!

Author: kimk1957 from United States
27 January 2006

I just fell in love with this movie! I would love to see a sequel to this heartfelt story. The characters had such a wonderful chemistry. I just couldn't get enough of this story,and the beautiful town it was filmed in. I want to see Frankie get his 'Dad' back, and I want to see Lizzies' 'stranger' return to her. I know we're to assume it will happen anyway....but ....we want the romance to continue! I'm sure I'm one of a million fans of Gerard Butler....and this role was PERFECT for him. It was a great experience for me to see him in a movie where him and everyone had the beautiful Scottish accents.What a fine piece of work. This movie truly touched my heart. Thank You.

such a great movie which has been voted only about 3000 people so far!

Author: shutterbug_iconium from Türkiye
10 January 2006

"Dear Frankie" is a simple,realistic,affecting and sweet story of life. It is a neither dumb schmaltzy movie nor a movie full of dumb action. Nine year old Frankie and his single mother do always move because the mother tries to protect him from the harsh realities of life.Lizie as a protecting mother ran away from Franki's father(because his husband probably was a violent man) The affectionate mother writes a make-believe letter to her son by making him believe that his father is out at sea. When the mother is torn apart between telling the truth and keeping on this white lie she has to hire a stranger to pretend to be Frankie's father. The little boy( Jack McElhone)is very successful in the movie. that kid plays just like in real life not in some sort of movie. The single mother(Emily Mortimer) portrays the strong decisive single mother very well.In spite of all these great performances the movie has been voted by about 3000 people so far unfortunately! Does it have to be an American production for a movie to be voted enough? It sounds so unfair! Don't miss this movie!

One of the best films I've seen in recent years – beautiful and poignant.

Author: Juni78ukr (juni78ukr@yahoo.com) from Odessa, Ukraine
20 December 2005

Dear Frankie is a one of very few sleeper films, which unfortunately so far didn't find the audience it deserves but got exceptionally positive responses from overwhelming majority of those who saw the movie. To my great sadness also it is obviously that this film is too good and too beautiful to be released in my country, where the audience is favorable to dumb action films and shelves of numerous video stores are mostly filled by dumb Hollywood blockbusters. However after a couple of months of unsuccessful searches eventually I found a DVD and watched Dear Frankie. What's the most important I was fortunate enough to watch original movie on English (even if some accents were a bit hard for me), not a miserable dubbed version (I'm also getting sick of constant lost in translation in such dubbed versions). The movie was immensely beautiful and captivating, sweet and sad at the same time. Actually I have to say that I loved every minute in the movie.

I guess there are enough of good reviews here, which tell what this movie is about but anyway, I will write a few lines because the movie deserves more attention and recognition. Dear Frankie is a story of a single mother with a nine years old son, Frankie. Frankie is deaf but he is a very smart boy for his age. He knows his father, only by letters they write to each other but his mother has a secret. All that time she was trying to protect her son and collected his mails from a postbox and write back. Because Frankie is also practically doesn't speak those letters are the only way for his mother to hear his voice. But the ship, on which his father is supposed to be, is coming to the port where they live and the mother hires a stranger to play his father for a one day in a desperate attempt not to ruin an illusion she has created for her son. I agree that for some of you that could sound like sentimental rubbish. But the story is so well masterfully created and well paced that every single scene is important here as well as every subtle detail. The director carries out his ideas and thoughts into practice extremely well and definitely deserves all the praises. Characters development was also one of the best I've seen in last years. The acting is also excellent all around. Emily Mortimer created terrific performance of s a single mother, who is trying to avoid her son's father and protecting his son. Gerard Butler plays perfectly Stranger and it's very nice to see his feelings and attitude to the family by some gestures, words and other minor but very significant details. And what is worthy of one of the highest possible respect is Frankie's character. He is not just a boy who is looking for our sympathy or even pity. Frankie is a very clever boy and he looks at the world with his own view and notices much more than most of people who surround him. Jack McElhone has incredibly strong and one of the most memorable performances of child actors in recent memory. This film with such wonderful performances transmits to us real emotions and feelings of its characters and it evokes the same from its audience. The cinematography, also a work of movie's director Shona Auerbach, is as good as her directing. She perfectly captured all emotions and feelings of characters and the beautiful shots of Scottish coast are very appealing and truly memorable. It is really fascinating to see how practically all the time the movie avoids the clichés and the ending is not an exception. Dear Frankie is a movie that will stick in your mind for a while, it's very poignant and sometimes sad but entirely sweet and beautiful.

An excellent movie all around and easily one of the best movies of the year. 10 out of 10.

Afternoon well spent

Author: machine_gun_molly from Canada
31 March 2005

I had been looking forward to this movie since I found out it was going to be released (albeit as limited) in my home town.

This was a great little movie. There is something to be said about small movies, they are more often than not gems and you feel lucky at having had the chance to see them.

The performances were understated yet that is what was needed to tell this story. And the little touches of humour avoided the movie slipping into a tear-jerker.

It was an afternoon well spent (except for the "gentleman" a couple of seats from me who loudly unwrapped his 3 Mcdonalds' Cheeseburgers and then told me to go $&#$ myself when I told him to be quiet.) 9/10

Emotionally Textured

Author: Jedge9 from United States
22 March 2005

This movie was full of emotional texture and purity, refreshingly emphasized by terrific acting and a wonderful storyline. Unlike "trumped-up" American-made movies, this movie got to the heart of the matter without unnecessary frills, which accentuated its realism rather than detracting from it. The story emerged as if pages of a book were being turned, with a few surprises thrown into the plot.I left the theater feeling as if I would continue to know the characters as their lives played out in Glasgow.Rich in plot and characterization, "Dear Frankie" deserves more than limited release in the US.A true gem of a film.

What a Great Surprise!

Author: billconner2002 from United States
21 March 2005

My friend and I traveled over 70 miles to see this movie since it will never come to our small town, but was well worth it. What a great movie. It is a good hearted film to the core, hard to find these days, that makes you feel great when you leave the theater and think about days after. Especially if you are a single Mom, those decisions you must make, by yourself, to give your children a better life. Gerard Butler captivates the screen and seeps into the audience, if Hollywood does not snap him up as the next big leading man they are NUTS! The whole cast is super, and the scenes from Scotland really give a feel of the beautiful country. Thanks to all involved in making a great film that will be in my collection always.

A gem - true in every way----

Author: Ishallwearpurple from United States
21 April 2005

I was hooked from the piano melody under the opening credits. Lovely, and as the film progresses, the music makes a quiet statement about what we are experiencing on the screen.

Emily Mortimer as the Mother who will do almost anything to protect and nurture her child; and Gerard Butler, as the Stranger she hires to pretend to be her sons father 'for just one day' are outstanding. With their eyes, body language, understated gestures, they portray more meaning and emotion than 9 out of 10 actors working today.

The story is of a mother who has been writing letters pretending to be her sons sailor father on a journey to far off ports on a ship called the Accra, a name she made up. Now, the real Accra is to arrive in the seaside village they live in and she must find a man to pretend to be the father 'for just one day.' The interview between Mortimer and Butler is outstanding. Very few words, but we understand the desperation of the woman, and the disinterest but decency of the man.

The boy is played to perfection by Jack McElhone.

This is a quiet, heartfelt, gem of a film and I am glad I went across town to see it after hearing about it for months. The DVD will be in my collection. 9/10