IMDb > Dear Frankie (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Dear Frankie

Dear Frankie More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 18: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

A gem - true in every way----

Author: Ishallwearpurple from United States
21 April 2005

I was hooked from the piano melody under the opening credits. Lovely, and as the film progresses, the music makes a quiet statement about what we are experiencing on the screen.

Emily Mortimer as the Mother who will do almost anything to protect and nurture her child; and Gerard Butler, as the Stranger she hires to pretend to be her sons father 'for just one day' are outstanding. With their eyes, body language, understated gestures, they portray more meaning and emotion than 9 out of 10 actors working today.

The story is of a mother who has been writing letters pretending to be her sons sailor father on a journey to far off ports on a ship called the Accra, a name she made up. Now, the real Accra is to arrive in the seaside village they live in and she must find a man to pretend to be the father 'for just one day.' The interview between Mortimer and Butler is outstanding. Very few words, but we understand the desperation of the woman, and the disinterest but decency of the man.

The boy is played to perfection by Jack McElhone.

This is a quiet, heartfelt, gem of a film and I am glad I went across town to see it after hearing about it for months. The DVD will be in my collection. 9/10

Sometimes things can be wrong and beautiful

Author: dfunky from uk
17 February 2005

This is a very beautiful film The story focuses on a young boy who is deaf called Frankie. He writes to his dad and awaits his replies. Frankie believes his dad is on ship but this isn't the case. Frankies Mum has lied to her Son for years.

I won't give to much away although this isn't a plot driven film. Although there is a beautiful twist at the end.

The film takes place in Modern times but has a 60's feel to it. Its well acted by the adults ( we can forgive the children )although Jack McElhone who plays Frankie plays a deaf child very well indeed.

The setting is grimy Scotland and the film has that kind of dull edge to it. There is no happy Hollywood ending but the sentiment is there. It makes you think, was Lizzie right for lying to Frankie.

There is a Moral dilemma to the film which made me think that sometimes things can be wrong and still be beautiful.

A n enjoyable and well acted storyline

Author: andrewdougan1 from Glasgow, Scotland
28 February 2005

A story of a mothers love for her son,i thought this was a good story,well acted but would appeal more to woman than men.a real tearjerker. Frankie is a real boy who lives with the memory of his father's fictitious world travels mapped out on his bedroom wall. His Mother sends Frankie letters which he believes are from his father, but he longs for the day when he actually gets to meet him. How long can she keep this up without Frankie discovering the truth about his father? An enjoyable film, go and see it,I'm sure you will like it too. Part of the attraction of this film for me was that I was able to identify with some of the locations used in Glasgow and Greenock in Scotland. Although I did not know any of the actors it was still a well put together storyline and although I am A mere male I still enjoyed this little film.Not a blockbuster but well worth seeing. In a world with so much violence on film it was a pleasure to see a story which appealed to the heart

Perhaps a truly unique film experience

Author: maxpuppydaddy from California
29 June 2014

Despite the negative reviews seen posted here by folks who might not have their expectations in proper alignment for what this movie was trying to "say" about the foibles, flaws, hopes, and joy in all of us...........this movie hits many perfect notes about the true human condition that links us all. I am a classic movie aficionado.....as well as a contemporary movie buff and enthusiast...but I am the farthest from a critic or movie "snob" as one can possibly be. But....this little gem hit me so hard between the gut and the heart that it has been one of the very, very few movies that I've insisted those closest to me must watch. There is at least one superlative and quite detailed positive "10 star" review already posted here; a reviewer that nailed what this movie "is about"....and that reviewer quite succinctly described why "Dear Frankie" is a movie that should be part of your collection as a treasure to be shared with your family and loved ones, so I will sum up my $.02 by only saying.......if you've ever been hurt, or loved, or been abused, betrayed, or left all alone to face the ugly, hard aspects of normal life...or have lost your desire and your hope for a true love.....or have truly loved a child......quite simply, if you are a normal human being with a heart capable of the feeling the broadest, deepest, enduring love and the abysmal, horrific depths of human despair - this movie will touch you in a place that almost no movies do. This movie is unique, frank, real, and remarkable.

Lovely little movie

Author: SnoopyStyle
24 March 2014

Frankie (Jack McElhone) is a deaf 9 year old. He and his mom Lizzie Morrison (Emily Mortimer) are always moving. She's been telling him that his father is a sailor away on the HMS Accra. Lizzie writes him fake letters from his made-up father, and he tracks the ship's voyage around the world. When he finds out that the real HMS Accra is docking in Glasgow, the class jerk lay down a large bet that his father wouldn't visit him. So she hires a complete stranger (Gerard Butler) to play the fictional father.

There is a small film charm to this movie. I love the setup, and the first half of the movie. I love the deaf boy character. I love Emily Mortimer. However the man with no name kind of creep me out. I would have like it more if it wasn't a scruffy looking Gerard Butler. Although I got over it. The ending is a bit manipulative, but it's still a sweet little movie.

Bonds of Affection

Author: AdamHawkes from Japan
30 September 2013

Frankie, an elementary school student, is a boy who has deaf ears. Despite his handicaps he is able to understand words others' say by reading their lips. But he is not willing to speak so he talks with written paper or sign language. He respects his father. He writes letters to him every day, who is a member of crews and voyages around the world for a long time. He likes collecting stamps which his father gives. One day, Frankie's classmate tells Frankie to take Frankie's father to him. If Frankie so, the classmate will give him his cards. Frankie is angry with the attitude and accepts it. This makes things complicated. Actually, his mother has a secret about their family.

This story is heartwarming so I love it soon. The scenes of Frankie and his father are very moving. I like the scene in which Frankie runs a race with his father the best of all. It represents father's affection for his son, I think. As time is going by, their relationship is becoming friendlier.

For the first time in years I found my favorite film. I like this film so much that I would like to watch this film again. And I can recommend confidently that you watch this film.

'Pulls You Right In'

Author: Chrysanthepop from Fraggle Rock
18 July 2013

Shona Auerbach's 'Dear Frankie' is another gem of a little British film (set in a Scottish town). What particularly stands out in this picture is its simplicity and subtlety. Even though the key characters include a mother, her hearing impaired son and his grandmother who are on the run, the story is told in a very slice of life fashion without having to be voyeuristic or jumping in and out of the lives of every single characters with the obvious emotional manipulation.

Andrea Gibbs's writing, Shona Auerbach's direction and the actors' performances give it heart. They don't spoonfeed the viewer but instead they leave it up to the viewer to draw conclusions. The cinematography wonderfully captures the beauty and simplicity of Glasglow. Emiliy Mortimer is excellent as the desperate mother who finds an unusual way to connect with her son. Jack McElhone is equally remarkable in the title role. Gerard Butler too does a terrific job as he downplays his part effectively. The supporting cast, especially Mary Riggans and Sharon Small, is superb.

In a way, 'Dear Frankie' could be described as a film you didn't know you wanted to see. That's reason enough to watch it.

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Author: nightwatch4773 from Canada
27 February 2013

Yes here is my once every 6 month review on a title thats not a horror film. I first watched this in 2004 and I have seen it with every girlfriend I've had since than so that would be another 6 or 7 times. Just loved this movie and made me a fan of Emily Mortimer. I even appreciate it more now since I have become a father and just could not imagine my son being without me. This film will make you laugh cry and did I mention cry and cry some more. All in all you will feel good about humanity and life when the dust settles here. Please go out and rent, download , stream or just simply buy the DVD off ebay. You will treasure it for life.

Not credible

Author: Chris L from France
13 January 2013

How could the writer and the director believe in and write such an absurd story is beyond understanding. Dear Frankie relies on a premise that has almost no credibility, Lizzie's action being totally devoid of sens. How could she act like that and still think that it's good for her kid ? Hard to validate this situation.

Admitting that point, the script still lacks substance and dynamism. Certain aspects could have been much more exposed, such as Gerard Butler's character who is surprisingly under-developed when he could have brought so much more to the story.

Emily Mortimer, as often happens, is irreproachable and almost single-handedly carries this movie.

Simple, humble, entertaining, heartwarming

Author: Rameshwar IN from India
17 November 2012

Over a period of time, I started to admire Emily Mortimer's work and this movie is the best example of her talent. A simple sweet story with minimum characters and a lot of heart.

Set in the suburbs of Glasgow, Lizzie (Emily Mortimer) is a single mom to Frankie (Jack McElhone) and she makes him believe that his father is a globe trotter in his ship and so he can't be around while hiding the truth about her separation. She writes to Frankie as his father giving him indications on where he is which Frankie follows passionately. When Frankie goes into a bet with his schoolmate to bring his father to a football match, Lizzie has to find someone to be Frankie's dad for the day. She employs a stranger (Gerard Butler).

Some movies are such where everyone is nice to each other and the situations are not challenging, but still the portrayal of lives can be very interesting. Gerard Butler stays in his element and gives a humble elegant performance and McElhone and his classmates does an apt job. But the real eyeopener was Emily Mortimer with her passionate yet controlled performance. There is hardly any moment that felt forced for dramatic effect in a rather very flat yet entertaining screenplay. It is a joy to listen to Scottish accent. Background score gels well in some dramatic moments.

Simple, humble, entertaining, heartwarming.