IMDb > Be Cool (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Be Cool

Be Cool More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 33: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

A**-kicking!

Author: Maverick The Best from Czech Republic
28 September 2005

I really don't have any notion why this movie was so destroyed by the rec's. I must say I really do respect other people's opinions, but this is just a little bit toooooo much! I didn't have any special expectations coming to the cinema, more along the lines of "to get myself entertained", but this movie just GOT me!! I just couldn't stop laughing my ... off from after like 10 mins on! The "nigga gang", and especially the music playing when the convoy of Hummers was on the way, was just KILLING!!! The Rock is undoubtedly an upcoming superstar of all genres! His "faggot-boy" was absolutely Nobel Prize winning! As for Travolta, I never expect less, I just can't! Absolutely brilliant type who doesn't give a .... PulpFictionlike. I absolutely positively gonna buy the DVD and watch it till I hate it!! If you're into black humor - just GO SEE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately, one of the worst movies of the year

Author: wspears49 from United States
10 September 2005

Certainly there were worse movies to come out in 2005 than Be Cool, but considering what they had to work with (the successful teaming of John Travolta and writer Elmore Leonard from the first film, Get Shorty) this movie is an extreme disappointment.

John Travolta was fine, reprising the role of Chili Palmer--he is still the poster man for "Cool". Uma Thurman, while her part was woefully underwritten, was also interesting--she is an alluring presence on the screen. But after that, one of the problems with the movie starts to become visible: the rest of the characters were either uninteresting or offensive.

Many people have commented on The Rock's role as the gay bodyguard. He is definitely an offensive character to watch, (although I don't think that the Rock himself deserves any blame--it is the way the character was written that was the problem). But I found Andre' Benjamin's character of Dabu, Cedric the Entertainer's main gun-wielding henchman, to be just about as offensive and The Rock. Other characters, like Harvey Keitel as the corrupt record producer, and Vince Vaughn as his partner/gopher were more boring and annoying, than offensive.

In general the movie had too many characters with too many story lines that went in too many directions for the audience to keep track of or eventually care about. This led to the movie being overlong.

A number of commenter here have mentioned the blatant product placement going on in Be Cool. What bothered me more, was that Be Cool kept referencing back to earlier scenes from Get Shorty. It started with Chili picking up his rental car: in Be Cool it was the "Cadillac of hybrid cars", in Get Shorty Chili's rental was the "Cadillac of mini-vans". This self referencing to Get Shorty continued throughout the movie, and the only effect it had on me was to continually remind me of the better scenes that were in the original.

The main plot itself, revolving around a young black girl trying to get a record produced, and Chili helping her deal with the scum and the parasites along the way, was interesting and had possibilities. But that was only one of about 4 plot lines running throughout the story, and the director never stayed on one plot long enough to engage the audience.

Regrettably, this is only a 2 star movie.

If you liked/loved Get Shorty, AVOID this movie...

Author: reservoir_cats_1989 from Atlanta
15 July 2005

I tried to watch this movie 3 times on DVD, every time late at night. And every time I fell asleep. I don't even remember if I finished watching it, it was so ... boring? cliché? there were a few very funny things though: the Rock as a Samoan gay bodyguard, Vince as Raji, the moment when Harvey Keitel attempts to rap. Shortcomings: trivial storyline (especially compared to Lock Stock or Snatch), racial and ethnic typecasting, blatant advertisements (that hybrid honda is nowhere near the Cadillac of minivans), "catchy" lines ("a man with 2 black eyes ...") I'm a big fan of Get Shorty (watched 10 times and could still watch it again and again.) Be Cool is totally opposite. (now the spoiler:) one of most pathetic sequels in the recent years.

Not Get Shorty, but not a disaster either

Author: dbborroughs from Glen Cove, New York
2 April 2005

The sequel to Get Shory has Chili Palmer taking on the music business. Its not as good as the first film, but if taken on its own is a good time passer.

The problem here is two fold. First the film has a running gag about hating sequels, which would be fine if it was just a joke and didn't extend to the film making. Few of the actors in this film seem to be doing more than walking through the film for the cash or as a joke and it shows. The second problem is that there is way way too much going on and way too many people doing it. It seems to me that every time that someone of note shows up the movie has to stop to give them their couple of minutes on screen. Usually the material is decent, but it slows the pace down. I kept wanting to speed things up.

That said I did like the film, but regret having paid movie theater prices to do so. This is a rental, not something you pay ten bucks to see. If you get the chance to rent it or see it on cable give it a shot. Just don't expect an equal to Get Shorty.

Awful

Author: siwikoli2 from United States
18 March 2005

And the only reason I'm giving this flick a 5 instead of a 0 is because of the chance to see Travolta and Thurman dance!!!! Otherwise it was a disaster of a movie. Travolta does a reprise of his Chili Palmer role in "Get Shorty" . There should be a rule in Hollywood "Never Work w/Children" and "Never do a reprise". The dialogue is absolutely stilting. I can only comment on the lst half of the movie because after the dance scene I left.

Travolta could have phoned in his performance. The guys will love seeing Thurman semi-nude. Vince Vaughn has the best role and is mildly funny. The Rock as a gay tough-guy is ridiculous.

Be Cool

Author: cee2 from Ireland
9 April 2005

This movie is worth a watch. Maybe you didn't want to go see it in the cinema cause of bad reviews, but you should definitely rent it out on DVD. I have not seen Get Shorty, and by the looks of the reviews I have read the reason why people don't like this movie is because it wasn't any comparison. If you're looking for an amazing script don't watch this movie. The plot line was.. well... almost non existent. It was silly. But I didn't go to see it in the cinema because I wanted a spectacular script. I went to see it for (a) The laugh and (b) Because my friend wanted to see a movie and she always talks during movies. Plus - look at the title of the movie, You get what you see: Brain Candy. It put on a great show and good job to The Rock. I didn't know he could act soooo gay!

Don't waste your time or money on this one!

Author: supersteph387 from United States
28 October 2007

This is by far the absolute WORST movie i have ever seen. it so incredibly stupid, makes no sense, bad acting by all parties. I hated it. I thought i was going to like it because i actually really like travolta even though he has made some really bad ones...i know i'll personally be adding this to the travolta bad move list. this was so incredibly stupid. it wasn't funny at all. i think the only good part is when the Rock is spanking himself in the mirror. the plot in this makes no sense at all and still is ridiculous by the end. this movie is a perfect example of the fact that no matter how many famous people you throw into a film, it' still going to suck. this was just so incredibly horrible. don't waste your money renting or buying this one. its horrendous.

some sequels should not be done

Author: daniel Carbajo López from Barcelona, Spain
27 August 2007

Chili Palmer is tired of doing movies and know wants to do some success in music. Being half mafioso half expert negotiator, he wants to rise in the music market. However, know everyone is like him and making the good singer Linda Moon to record a hit will be harder as expected. The first part is funny and filled with irony, this one falls into the easy jokes and has many less good moments. Only the two women (Uma and Milian) are decent in their part. Most of the film is done with histrionic character, excessively exaggerated (a little is OK, too much is disgusting) and the only one that one could save is the gay bodyguard, who, at least is coherent, the rest, are too much idiot. The most surprising thing is the fact that the movie is not boring, everything happens so quick and there are so many things happening that you do not have time to get bored, if you want to follow the movie. It may insult your intelligence (a lot!), and the movie is bad(yeah!), but, well, it's not boring.

more like not cool

Author: callum-ward from United Kingdom
20 November 2006

If pulp fiction and Get shorty didn't exist this might be an OK film.When i say this i mean that nothing from this film is it's own unless it's another bit of terrible dialogue or a cliché full scene.All the lines like 'i won't say more than i have to if that' from Get shorty seem to appear in this rubbish sequel, all the cameos like Steven Tyler's are acted terribly and are not needed and as for Christina Milian, man, don't get me started.Sadly some of the coolest actors and actresses like John Travolta and Uma Thurman seem like they are trying to be down with the kids and hip and have nearly ruined there reputation because of this film and frankly i think the best acting is from The rock who plays alongside one of my least favourite actors, Vince Vaughn.The man tries to be funny throughout with him taking the mickey of how apparently rappers talk.Cedric the entertainer and Andre 3000 play another terrible double act {i personally think the background actors were better than Cedric and Andre} and the only funny part of the acting of Cedric,Andre and the rest of there gang do is the way there trousers are down to there knees so you can clearly see there boxers and the only reason i find this funny is because lots of people actually do that.So in conclusion this film tries to be funny and fails miserably, it doesn't have any new material, comedy or coolness throughout as it copies every other film and finally the only reason you should see it is if you want to compare how bad it is to it's brilliant predecessor Get shorty.Oh yes i forgot to mention there is a BIG cliché at the end.

Not That Cool

Author: Lee Gold from United States
5 March 2005

I thought on the whole Be Cool was an awful movie with a few big laughs. I was crying when The Rock busted out his monologue. Vince vaughn was well...Vince Vaugn. He's just funny and as a your best friend he's funn on talk show and he's real funny as a pimp, funny sandwiches, funny kabobs. funny gumbo...uh ...wrong movie. The Rock was the clear winner in this movie. John Travolta and Uma...oh Uma what were you thinking? They should be ashamed of themselves they were just as bad as the movie. They were terrible. John travolta should stick to flying. He just doesn't make good movies anymore. He has been great at times but now his movies are far from great.