IMDb > Be Cool (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Be Cool

Be Cool More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 32: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Who is this movie for?

Author: belialprod from Canada
24 March 2005

You would assume when studio executives green light a big budget movie, they have some idea who the audience will be for it, but this is a movie that seems to have no idea of its potential audience. Instead of focusing on either the middle aged audience who, presumably, made the first one a hit, or the youth audience who will be drawn by the hip hop music and all star supporting cast, they go for both. The result can be charitably termed a cinematic bouillabaisse. Besides, would a hero who respects the Black Eyed Peas because they teamed up with Sergio Mendez really care about, or have an ear for, contemporary pop? And are other guest stars like Aerosmith even "contemporary"? The movie is trying to be all things to all demographics, and no movie can do that.

A while ago, a friend of mine met a producer who explained that a movie like "Bringing Down The House" was made because "hip hop is hot". Fine. But for a sequel to "Get Shorty"? The middling box office for "Be Cool" seems to support this. Fans of the first one were turned off by the transparent attempt to reach a teen audience.The teen audience couldn't care less about Chilli Palmer.

As for Travolta, yeah, the movie is a mess, and a failure. He walks through this movie seeming bored, almost a supporting character in his own movie amongst so many scene stealers. He's coasting on the last fumes of his "Pulp Fiction" comeback. But give him a few years. He'll lay low for awhile then come back, bigger than ever. He has a knack for winding up in truly iconic roles every 15 years or so. He'll be due again around 2009. People love this guy. It'll just take a few years and another good movie for them to remember why.

Great cast, horrible writing and editing

Author: niceferatu from Los Angeles
14 March 2005

When I first saw the previews for this I thought how great, what a great cast! Well even this all star cast couldn't save this movie. Bad writing and horrible editing (way too much blank spaces between lines) made this thing a travesty to watch. Can I have my $8.75 back please? I mean it was SUPPOSED to be a COMEDY, not a "feel good about a girl trying to make it as a singer" movie! John Travolta, Uma Thurman, Vince Vaughn, Harvey Kaitel, Cedric the Entertainer...heck even THE ROCK have ALL been amazing in other films. Here they all fall flat. Steven Tyler's acting was agonizing to watch and listen to. There WERE occasional funny moments, but unfortunately they were WAY too few and far between. Anyway, I left the theater disappointed and today I am just plain ANNOYED.

Chili Palmer ventures into more mayhem by way of the music business, having conquered the heights of the movie business in *Get Shorty.*.

Author: R L Widmann (widmannr@georgetown.edu) from Washington DC & Boulder CO
5 March 2005

This movie is quite delightful--breezy and silly. A lot of the farce is way over the top and I really enjoyed that. Elmore Leonard's hilarious novel has made its way into another satire on Hollywood and on movie stahhhs, dahling.

*Be Cool* also makes fun of music videos and the music business, offering plenty of amusement while doing so.

Stephen Hunter in the Washington Post gave this movie a fairly good review, while other critics I read did not. Since I like Hunter's work and since I usually trust his judgment, I went. It turned out to be a pleasant evening at the movies. And I will watch this film again when it comes on cable.

Another Disappointing Sequel

Author: Malvasian_Jonlo from Philadelphia, United States
7 March 2005

Waiting for Be Cool with high expectations, this movie failed to produce on every level. Everything Get Shorty was, Be Cool wasn't. John Travolta seem to care less about bringing the same energy to the role of Chili Palmer he did in Get Shorty, and the supporting cast didn't fare much better in making this movie watchable.(though a couple amusing scenes with The Rock and Vince Vaughn kept me from walking out of the movie). The plot was convoluted and the writing was awful. There were scenes in this movie I have no idea why they would make it to screen, and some scenes that were just blatant rewrites of moments already done correctly in Get Shorty. I gave this movie a 1, only because IMDb doesn't have fractional ratings, or a 0.

If this is a sign of Hollywood's future, I want out.

Author: pointreyes71 from Los Angeles
8 March 2005

I actually went to see this movie because I have some music in one scene, and almost left the theater, because I have never in recent memory seen such an affront to movie-making.

Humor that doesn't even approach the sorry level of a "King of Queens" episode (playing on every sorry cliché you can possibly imagine), obviousness that will insult the intelligence of a 3 year-old, and dialog and acting that are absolutely bottom of the barrel. I went with a group of 10 people, and we were all laughing out loud by the end, not at the comedy, but at the poor quality of this tripe. I saw about 15 people leave the theater during the show, as well.

Unbearably cheesy (the whole music biz thing w/Christina Milian), predictable, unfunny, with truly awful performances by some great actors...I would recommend not seeing this movie.

Ever.

I question anyone's taste who actually thought this was good. Usually I can respect anyone's opinion, but I have to make an exception in this case.

Acting Cool

Author: tedg (tedg@filmsfolded.com) from Virginia Beach
2 August 2005

We are born into the doom of being actors. If we are lucky we discover who we are but until then we go through a process of acting a role.

Some movies play with this idea, and "Get Shorty" was one of the most clever of these.

It had two elements: that notion of acting cool and the explicit self-reference of putting it in movies, complete with the command to "look at me."

Behind it was one of the coolest thinkers in cinema, Danny Devito who is a kind of patron saint of self-reference. He who made a film based on "Pale Fire" and whose "Death to Smoochy" is a pinnacle of sorts of introspective writing.

Now comes this, which starts out okay, along the same lines of heavy self-reference until we learn that Devito is to star in a biopic of Johnny Cash.

Then the grind of the inferior mind behind it begins.

Seems they had some idea that Uma Thurman fit into an intelligent enterprise somewhere.

Nope, none of the few things she can do fit into self-reference or folding in any way.

Seems they decided that a mere reference to performance wasn't enough, we had to have the whole pretty-girl-overcomes-adversity thing complete with several performances.

Nope, again.

And they figured that all the cool identity stuff would be carried by a white guy acting black and a black guy acting white.

Nope, nope , nope.

Go watch any Devito-inspired project rather than this.

Horrible

Author: mrpink2851342 from United States
4 March 2005

It is Get Shorty minus all the good stuff. Jokes repeated and aren't nearly as funny. Disgrace to those who have seen Get Shorty. If you haven't seen Get Shorty, see it, it's at least ten times better than this movie. If you choose to see this movie and haven't seen Get Shorty, you may think it was OK, maybe even good. But it really is one of the worst movies of the year. For the first time in my life, I walked out of the theater. The only thing close to being good is the Rock in his role as a bodyguard, but James Gandolfini was better in Get Shorty. Overall, save a couple bucks and rent Get Shorty, Be Cool is pale in comparison. To me, there never was a sequel to the hip, funny Get Shorty.

Rent The Adventures of Ford Fairlane instead

Author: the_Poppuns
4 March 2005

That movie while slightly flawed was entirely entertaining. About half an hour into Be Cool, I started to have Hollywood Homicide flashbacks. But guess what? This is worse. Even the dance number is bad. I like most of the cast in this movie, so that makes me feel bad about writing a negative review of it but I feel obligated. The Rock, Andre 3000, and Vince Vaughn were in a comedy. No one else seemed to decide what movie genre they were acting in. I feel bad for Travolta because he brought the same Chili Palmer from Get Shorty to this movie. He was totally consistent in the role, but this movie is so different from the original that the character sticks out like a sore thumb. I was going to give this movie 4/10 because I like the actors so much but there is a conversation in the movie about a certain song that is so asinine I couldn't believe the performers actually said it. If you want to go to the movies this weekend there should still be some Oscar contenders out there. That would be a much better way to spend your time.

Still can't shake the depression

Author: mmwilde from los angeles, usa
7 March 2005

I saw a 12:45 a.m. show last night, and I would've walked out 20 min. in, but there was nowhere to go! Blatant product placement, juvenile script, so much talent gone to waste, gay-bashing...what didn't they do? The movie is also insanely long (we got out at 3). As a person who rarely pays full price at the movies, imagine my chagrin doling out $22 for this self-indulgent, mean-spirited nightmare (plus $2 parking). I woke up today still feeling depressed, and haven't been able to shake it all day. I love Vince Vaughn, and he seemed straight up lost in this thing, as was I. When Cedric the Entertainer is the high-water mark (a man so un-entertaining that he has to call himself "the Entertainer" so you'll understand what it is he thinks he's doing), you have a serious problem. Also, the appearance of Robert Pastorelli is down-right creepy, since he died almost a year ago (March 10). This should give you an idea how long they've been polishing this turd. This movie is mean to the bitter end. We stayed just to make sure they didn't give Robert an "In Remembrance", which they didn't. Save yourself! Save your money! Save your soul!

Good film for a pile of arse

Author: Bobby McSteels from United Kingdom
19 April 2007

OK I was bought this a few Xmas' ago by my brother in law, who took me to see "Get Shorty" in the cinema, which the both of use were "uber" impressed with. And watched both get shorty and be cool one after another. I have read reviews of people that had not seen get shorty and thought this film was quite good.... I just think its another way for film companies to cheat the paying customer. All I have to say about this film is WTF? After nearly 10 years and Chili Palmer had become a pussy.... The script was basically the same, they teamed up Travolta and Thurman after their success of Plup Fiction, threw in a couple of big stars(plus a shed load of nobodies) and thought that it was going to be good..... Vince Vaughn's character was just annoying, despite me being a fan of both him and the Rock both of the actors were way under utilised and unrealistic. Basically I am glad that this was bought for me as a present as if I had paid money for it I would have been super annoyed.