IMDb > Out of Reach (2004) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Out of Reach

Out of Reach (V) More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]

Seagal is dropping to new lows.

Author: viper_ss (viper_ss@hotmail.com)
14 December 2004

** SPOILERS ** (Although who really cares with this gem.) This movie is absolutely terrible. The plot makes very little sense. It's about human trafficking except they never explain why they are selling girls, to whom, and what purpose. My guess is for prostitution except they are selling these girls for $100,000. Who is going to bid $100,000 for a prostitute? Seagal meets a police inspector and she gets shot. Next, he tells her to hide and leave the country for her safety. Why? She's a freaking police inspector. She can't protect herself OR get the entire police force to help. Here's another one: Seagal wants to get the evil #2 to help him so he enters a brothel, pays a hooker to meet #2, Seagal sneaks up on #2 and then offers #2 $10,000 to help. Why don't you try this...walk up to #2 and just offer the $10,000. Much simpler and it cuts 10 painful minutes out of this movie. In summary, Seagal needs to really stop self-promoting himself in these movies as ex-navy seals, CIA super operatives, expert in everything. When you need a stunt double to do all your martial art moves, and you were once a martial artist, you're hitting the bottom. I used to really like the guy, but he really needs to lose weight and cut off the brillo pad on his head.

An entertaining thriller

Author: ron_j_starkey
14 July 2004

I am not a huge Seagal fan, but I found Out Of Reach to be very entertaining, well filmed, and surprisingly compelling.

It is a clever thriller that calls to mind 1960's spy movies like The Ipcress File and Funeral In Berlin. Matt Schulze makes a terrifically sleazy villain, and the rest of the English/Polish Actors are excellent.

The movie is thin on Action - yes. But the set pieces and final sword fight are dazzling. Almost like Stanley Donen's Yakuza.

Last but not least, Seagal himself, turns in a somber yet plausible performance. It's like Clint Eastwood in the good old days, or Marlon Brando in the not-so-good recent days.

All this being said, the script, direction and production values are good. But most interesting to me, is the fact that another actor seems to have been dubbed in, instead of Seagal. If you listen carefully, you can hear that it's another Actor's voice. That alone should make this one for the Seagal collector.

Waste of time

Author: nailie from Poland
31 January 2012

Segal with dead face, no acting visible - he just walks. Plot so rough that it hurts, irrational behavior and astonishing stupidity of the bad guys is obvious in that category of movie - i.e. when going to get the "good guy" why bother to put the bullet-proof vest on? Good guys are always in danger - when you get shot, never call an ambulance, even when you're a cop. And stereotypes - Polish cop MUST drink vodka! (Actually 98% of polish people don't drink vodka at all!). We were watching to the end to see, how a good film concept can be ruined by the bad scenario, no work on details and poor acting. Waste of time, unless you are HUGE fan of Segal.

Better out of reach, than in your DVD player

Author: videorama-759-859391 from adelaide, australia
18 June 2014

Yeah, more dreck, from our wonderful thespian, Steve. Gone are the days of Nico, and the chain of hits that followed. Here of course, it's great watching him kick arse. Remember, he was the one that made bone and head snapping, the new in thing. Here the movie really talks over our heads as in the relationship, loner, Steve has with a young strong willed orphaned girl, a brilliant cipher mind, which is basically how these two communicate. This kids orphanage acts as a front, where pretty young girls who think they're gonna go onto modelling careers, end up as sexual slaves, not if Steve can have his way. There is a lot of action, particular near the end in a bordello, and when our two nemesis's meet in a showdown to the death, which I thought the way the baddie (who's really good as was the agent woman, performance wise) bought it, was a bit of a letdown. Too Steve impresses, with quickly mending a bullet hole a women agent took in the neck. I don't know if the cipher communication was 'spose to impress us either, but when it comes down to it, it's just another cheap quality movie, like if you buy something cheap from China. Keeping honing those acting skills, Steve. For Seagal fans, or the undemanding.

The message in the hors d'oeuvres says 'this is c**p'

Author: David Love from United Kingdom
14 January 2014

Seagal plays a native American who is corresponding with a very young American girl (?) in a Polish orphanage. This in itself is a bit creepy and he writes things like 'Remember Napolean and be strong'. What?

People from the CSA (British readers may envisage the Child Support Agency here) are out to get him but they are no match for an ageing overweight hippie with dyed hair and strange skin tone. Strange voice too – not Seagal's.

Meanwhile, over in Poland an even creepier group of old men pick the prettiest girls and take them from the orphanage. These 'actors' are really Polish apparently and so struggle with English, and acting.

Seagal flies over to Poland as the girls are being transported somewhere. Ah, the gang v Seagal. Only one winner. Seagal murders one (no police action). He is questioned. But no charges, even when evidence is found linking him to one of the girls who has been killed. The Police inspector just buys him a drink!

Seagal invites a young boy into his hotel room and feeds him fruit. He helps the police with their computers before returning to the room and the boy who is now drinking alcohol provided by Seagal. There is probably enough evidence against him now for him not to be returning to America for a long time! But nothing happens. In fact the Police Inspector uses Seagal as a designated driver because she has had too much to drink. Then she returns to his hotel room where the young boy is in another bed. They act like a little family of three for the rest of the film!

The coded message in the hors d'oeuvres is brilliant – three round ones, some onions, three square ones, some onions, three round ones. Oh, the round ones have olives on them. Seagal can interpret this as 'this is a trap'. Brilliant. I think he got it slightly wrong - it really says 'this is c**p'

In the fight scenes (in fact in all scenes) Seagal moves so slowly he reminds me of The Mummy. And the final scene is really really stupid. It's easy to spot where the stunt double is being used. If it moves, it's the double.

The acting in this film is almost universally woeful. Bristolian Nick Brimble provides the only glimmer of talent. Quite possibly the worst film I have seen.

Prepare yourself... for sleepy time!

Author: swedzin from Deadwood
13 October 2012

Don't expect anything from this film, with average story and mediocre characters. Steven Seagal (once a cool guy with cool films under his belt) gives us yet another portrait of himself, this time as a retired agent, former Vietnam veteran, blah blah, who is corresponding (pen-pal) with a orphan little girl from Poland and helps her financially. But, when he finds out that orphanage is used as human trafficking, he rushes to Poland and start the incredibly boring scenes of shooting, fighting and everything else in kinda boring and makes-you-sleepy-way. Seagal utters the line "she means everything to me". Is she your daughter? Damn! His character is so caring that he needs to destroy everything in his path for a little girl who he barely knows. Other actors as Robbie Gee and Matt Schulze did a solid job, but Schulze didn't do much with his character, he was only evil and that's it, he is also a expert swordsman and you know what that means when your opponent is Seagal who is an kendo expert... Nothing special to say about this film... except that is pretty boring. Yeah, and Seagal is dubbed by another actor, and that's fuc**ng disgusting! Don't waste your time, watch something more gun and intelligent like... Taken (2008), it's pretty similar, but more, much more better.

Not as bad as some Seagal flicks, but still a lazy effort on his part.

Author: callanvass
17 December 2010

(Credit IMDb) Vietnam veteran Billy Ray Lancing, a former CSA agent who now works on a wildlife refuge in Northern Alaska, has been exchanging letters in a pen-pal relationship with Irina Morawska, a 13-year-old orphaned girl in Poland that he's helping out financially. When the letters suddenly stop coming, Billy heads to Poland to figure out why -- only to discover that the orphanage that Irena was staying in, which is financed by honest -- and unsuspecting -- good-intentioned Samaritans, is a cover for a human trafficking network. Run by a man named Faisal, the operation is worth billions -- girls are sold and traded to the highest bidders from all over the world. Through Billy's letters to Irina, Billy has taught Irina how to use secret codes, which she uses to keep Billy updated on where Faisal is taking her to. That's how Billy stays on Faisal's trail as Billy teams up with local cop Kasia Lato to rescue Irina and the other girls, and bring down Faisal's human trafficking network.

Out Of Reach is as I said, not as bad as some of his others but that doesn't mean that it's really any good either. Seagal still has that cheesy dubbing in places that consistently made me groan to myself. Seagal's relationship with Ida Nowakowska (Irena) is supposed to be the main ingredient of the movie, the heart so to speak. I found no real connection between the two, no matter how hard the movie tried to pull it off. The action scenes are pretty non-existent aside from an OK final confrontation at the end, but it's ruined pretty soon afterwords by a shameless sword fight between Seagal and Matt Schulze.

Performances. Steven Seagal isn't anything great, as is the case with most of his DTV films. But aside from his horrible dubbing, he at least seems to be trying at points. More effort would have been nice, but considering the depths I've seen him fall, I won't complain that much. Matt Schuzle walks around with a sinister snarl on his face trying to act all menacing, suave, and charming. Unfortunately he doesn't have the charisma to pull it off. The Kid actors are also pretty bad. The boy drinking liquor is a hoot of a time though.

Bottom line. If I was to suggest a few DTV Seagal films that didn't fully torture me for you to watch. This would probably be one of them. It's a lazy and terrible movie, but at least it wasn't a torturous experience. Not really recommended, but you could do worse by being a Seagal fanatic I suppose. But that's faint praise.

3 1/2 /10

Not even a parody

Author: vitachiel
30 September 2008

What are the assets of Steven Seagal? Why do audiences like him? Why do directors and producers hire him? It is definitively not his hairdo. His face isn't likable either, although this would pose no problem when he's playing a bad guy. I have not discerned any acting abilities and his fighting skills are mediocre at best. He walks like a hippopotamus and he talks like a sissy boy (or was that his mysterious dub-in?). So why? Probably his fan base consists of 9-year old boys who are impressed by a big guy punching his way through evil mobs. Well, when I was 9 my hero was Sylvester Stallone, ignorant as I was back then. Still, even Stallone is way out of Seagal's league…

And for what it's worth, this movie suits our hero as a glove: worst of the worst.

I have failed watching entire movie...

Author: akabishop from Poland
27 November 2004

I am still stunned by the quality of the movie... what is it anyway... I decided not to watch it further (stopped watching it after 30 minutes)

Do I understand it correctly that 14 yo girls are kicked out of orphanage or sold to weird rich and sick men ? I completely don't understand this movie... but hey... I'm just stupid guy who knows nothing about Napoleon. Seagal's acting skills were lowered to be equal with other staff.

Something good about the movie: nice pictures of architecture... good objects were chosen but they don't match properly to the story line. If there is any storyline

Polish students can make a lot better movies, unexperienced and having only university knowledge... I think its something about quality of the creator's soul...

I can understand that some of previous Seagal's movies were about breaking bones and some mystical knowledge (of martial arts and ancient wisdom) Somehow he played nice roles, in nice movies... But what is this? a mistake?

Does he express feelings? Haven't noticed... It was something extra in other but not this movie. Does he care about that girl?

I think I'll invite someone who I really like to watch that movie, we will be bored by it after 20 minutes and start doing something else ...

Crap

Author: c50cnameless (c50cnameless) from cambridge
20 November 2004

Well this film started off with all the makings of a good film, got half way through and it was alright, still watchable. But then all of a sudden it was over with very little explanation, or end to the story, and all the way through they tried to build this, will she won't she with the young girl as to whether the drugs would make her turn against him, and at the end it was suddenly all over with a rather fake and small sword fight.

There were also numerous unexplained discrepancies, for example, when he was in the police station he just knew the password for the missing person's list automatically. WHAT?! Even if he was once a secret agent the passwords change, for goodness sake they make us change the passwords at college once a term, let along government secret database's.

Page 6 of 7: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [Next]