IMDb > Mean Girls (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mean Girls

Mean Girls More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 55: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Teen movie of the year

Author: Martina Gagyoole from United States
3 December 2006

This film is like drama on wheels.It is funny and "The Plastics" are a little bit tarty in the film and major drama queens.

Regina George is like the queen she gets everything she wants when she wants it,Gretchen Weeners is like the posh rich follower of Regina and Karen Smith is the dumb one who follows both and i don't think she really knows whats going on she just follows them two. Cady Heron is caught up in there scene making group and joins them and becomes a real backstabber and a Plastic to her best friends Janise Ian and Damien. As they fight over Aaron Samuals who is Reginas ex boyfriend but they get back together and Regina teases Cady about them being together.

Nearly missed my catamaran ride in cuba for watching this!!

Author: handbagshoes from United Kingdom
1 December 2006

I only discovered this movie while on holiday in Cuba. I went back to my hotel to get a towel and this movie started.

Well I thought let me just watch the beginning as I have sometime to kill before I go for my catamaran ride Well that was it, I was hooked, couldn't believed that this sweet girl from Africa (lindsey Lohan), could slowly but surely get entwined with the monsters called the "Plastics".

I really thought it was hilarious at times and only got up to the part when Lindsey Lohan threw a party at her parents house........................................

Well I went on my boat ride, missed the rest of the film and only caught up with it when I came back to England.

well I must say it got more funnier then it got a disappointing in the end (all that slushy apology nonsense) but great fun all the same.

I've decided now I,m gonna become a Plastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm ashamed to say it... but it's not that bad.

Author: shanfloyd from India
20 November 2006

I never imagine myself as someone who likes this type of movies. And yes, I don't like its 'type', true. But to put it plainly, there are several things in this particular film that make it stand out as something watchable, definitely. Let's point them out.

First, its first-person narration. It makes the film more accessible and deliberately flat. You don't have to stumble upon every cliché and wince. Because you know beforehand what's coming next. Secondly, I don't like Lindsay Lohan or Rachel McAdams or any of the actors. But somehow they really fit well in this film. All the actors are quite perfectly cast. Thirdly, its humor never seemed too forced. Some of them are actually quite original (like Kevin G's rap song) and fits nice into the story. Fourthly, the story itself is relatively more original than the others of this lot. I never actually lost interest in the middle.

There you have it. One of my least favorite genres, American teen comedy, producing a relatively decent film.

has a satirical appeal that isn't razor sharp, but good enough; Lohan's best starring role to date

Author: MisterWhiplash from United States
19 May 2006

Looking past all the media hoopla, maybe not as deserved at all as some people might think, to the star Lindsay Lohan, she does have enough talent past the sweet-natured personality and beautiful looks. And for her skills she is put to very good use in the film Mean Girls, not as vicious and confused as its 80's comparison Heathers, but with a much more clever view comedy wise on high school life- particularly among teenage girls- than any given teen comedy of the past half decade. Screenwriter Tina Fey is most to credit here, as she is able to take adapt this tale into something that can be appealing to more, possibly, than the typical just-teen-crowd. Does it reach even further into other satire of life like Election? Not as much as one might think. It's a little too goofy for that, and it is this that also gives Lohan and the good supporting cast some room to make some laughs.

It's a look at a class system in the high-schools of the movies, where the teen-girl upper class 'click' (called the Plastics) are what Lohan's character wants to take down alongside her new friends. But much as in a kind of corporate environment, she gets involved deep undercover becoming a 'plastic', and its inevitable wretched side involving a 'burn book'. Some of the steam that's built up in the first half of the film starts to fizzle out towards the end, even as there is a hysterically funny moment involving Rachel McAdam's character on a road outside of the high school. And, without a doubt, some of the jokes fall flat. But Lohan herself is a big part of the success of the movie, as her personality, with all the appeal of the better teen-girl stars of the post-modern age (a little more sultry than the John Hughes girl but with a certain fresh side as well). There's also a perfect scene involving the plastics at a talent show, in complete Santa-suit regalia. It's a fun little drip of a teen comedy that I've watched a couple of times on TV since it was released two years back, nothing special but certainly not forgettable either. 7.5/10

Mean Girls: The True Story of High School Life

Author: mnstutsman10 from Red Bud, Illinois
15 November 2004

Cady Heron (Lindsay Lohan) starts her junior year at North Shore High School, after being home schooled in Africa. In her first class, she meets Janis Ian (Lizzy Caplan,) and Damian (Daniel Franzes). They give Cady the tips of North Shore, the who and the what to watch for. During lunch on Cady's second day, she meets Regina George (Rachel McAdams), the Queen of the 'Plastics.' Regina's group was called the 'Plastics,' because they ruled the school, they told other students and faculty what to do and how to do it. Everyone feared them. Janis, Damian, and Cady decide to spy on the 'Plastics' by infiltrating and getting the dirt. Being in with the 'Plastics,' Cady learned about the 'Burn Book.' The 'Burn Book' was a scrap book of every person in the school who had made them angry or didn't 'fit' in. Cady, a straight A math student, deliberately begins to fail Calculus to gain the attention of Aaron Samuels (Jonathan Bennett). Because of her grades, Cady puts her Calculus teacher in the 'Burn Book.' One week before Halloween, Aaron invites her to a party at his house. She asks Regina, who is Aaron's ex-girlfriend, to talk to him. Little did Cady know, Regina was out for revenge on Cady because she still liked Aaron. Regina and Aaron begin dating again, and Cady is furious. Janis and Damian come up with different schemes to ruin Regina. Cady started by giving Regina 'diet' bars to lose weight, but Regina gained weight and was unable to fit in with the 'Plastics' anymore. Cady was confident that she had truly ruined Regina's life. In return, Regina puts herself in the 'Burn Book' and turned the book into the principal and blames it on Cady and the other girls in the group. During the time that Cady and the other 'Plastics' were in the office, Regina makes copies of the pages in the 'Burn Book,' and spreads them all over the school. This begins a fight between all the girls. Once Cady confesses to the book, she is punished by being placed on the Mathletes team. Cady and Regina have an argument about the book in front of the school, while arguing; Regina is hit by a bus and was severely injured, but was back on her feet in time for the dance. The night of the Spring Fling, a dance seniors hold for the underclassmen, Cady is competing with her team at a math competition. She was nominated for Queen along with Regina and Janis. Cady wins and gives a speech about how it shouldn't matter what a person is on the outside: it's what is on the inside that really counts. After Cady's 'speech' things at North Shore changed, there were no cliques, and everyone were friends again.

Mean Girls really highlights what goes on in big high schools across America. Although the movie made me laugh, it also made me think. I wondered about my behavior in high school as well as those who shared my high school halls. Hopefully students in today's high schools who are caught up in the cliques and popularity contests realize the true theme of this movie: it is not what a person looks like or what group they belong to--it is truly what is on the inside that counts. I really enjoyed this movie because certain parts, such as Regina finding out that her 'diet bars' are actually making her gain weight, were funny. Plus, it really makes me think: there really are people who are like that in the world and really need a reality check.

surprisingly solid film

Author: C Brown from New York City
14 April 2004

While I might otherwise have saved my $10 for something more worthy, I was enticed to see the film by a free invitation to a sneak preview. Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be a funny film with good writing and a well structured plot.

The movie won't win any awards, but the acting is solid and Daniel Franzese's performance was breakout. He achieved the desired effect with the audience almost every time he made an appearance on screen. All the supporting roles were strong.

If you are interested in a fun time out at the movies and don't want anything too heavy, this is the perfect choice.

girls can be really disgusting in high school and this movie is a great example

Author: kornstar7890 from Canada
25 October 2005

This movie shows how it is now in high schools and how disgusting girls can be. When I first saw this it told me wow, if that is how girls in small towns act, how do they act in Hollywood? Lohan and Mcadams make a great duet in a movie and i hope that in the future they make another movie together.I really enjoyed watching this movie because it really shows how girls can ruin each others lives by making one phone call or letting out one secret. But if the film industry finds that more of these movies are coming out, girls are going to use movies like that as examples and parents are going to be really upset that rumors of their child are going around their school and that your daughter is making stuff up about other people. But other than that it is an awesome movie and i will never regret watching it.

Welcome to the Jungle! (spoilers)

Author: Pepper Anne from Orlando, Florida
17 July 2004

Though often only moderately funny on Saturday Night Live, "Mean Girls" writer Tina Fey (adapting Rosalind Wiseman's book), struck upon something quite good in an attempt to convey a feminist message to younger female audiences. It seems like a project that Amy Heckerling (director of Fast Times at Ridgemont High and Clueless) might've taken on, though the movie tends to lack in more serious and sentimental moments, sometimes going too far to press a point whereas Heckerling often seemed to add just the right amount of everything.

Set against themes of the jungle (it is no coincidence that the high school mascot is The Lions), the movie explores the viciousness of high school-aged girls who have forgotten how to behave with civility towards one another. The arrangement is your typical high school caste system, but those who occupy all levels of the competitive food chain in this film are primarily female.

Lohan plays Cady Heron (there's a running gag where people mispronounce her name), who is the center of our story. She is entering public school for the first time, having been home-schooled all of her life while her parents, archaeologists, were working in Africa.

High school life is alienating for the newcomer, despite her best attempts to 'adapt.' Though, she does manage to befriend two loners--Janice (the stereotypical goth-art girl) and the token gay friend, Damien, and their minute social status on campus allow them to realize how the caste system is arranged (although anyone under the most popular kids seem to aware of how things work). Janice and Damien are like a more comical version of Gavin and UV of the movie 'Disturbing Behavior.' (This movie does not stray from stereotypes, but then again, neither does real high school).

Enter the queen of the jungle, Regina George, the untouchable popular girl, and her two lackeys, Gretchen Wieners and Karen Smith, who form the untouchable 'Plastics' that occupy the top of the high school food chain. They are simultaneously loathed and loved by the remaining high school girls (except for Janice) and really keep everyone on their toes. (The 'Plastics' are comparable to 'The Blue Ribbons' of Disturbing Behavior). They take on Cady as a pet project, probably sensing that from her absence of classifiable style, that the impressionable newcomer, polite and quiet, can be properly molded into one of the dreaded, self-obsessed 'Plastics.' This may seem like something to fear, losing an innocent kid to the wolves, but Janice senses an opportunity, wanting very much to bring down Regina George and all that she stands for. The ideal end: a school with no ultra-popular hierarchy. So, Cady agrees, and she becomes on of 'The Plastics.'

It may seem temporary, but as Cady's involvement with the plastics continues, she eerily begins to resemble one of them. Backstabbing, self-centered, ultra-beautiful, and hopelessly sadistic (but remember that in stories like this, our hero never fully transforms, and there is always that conscious well-meaning person there that just needs some coaxing, often through some difficult challenge). Well, the three friend's plans to sabotage 'The Plastics' sort of backfires. Cady falls for Regina's ex-boyfriend, which makes Regina quite jealous, and eager to deceive her friend. As a result, Cady starts falling out of the loop, and initiates plans to fight back. But, as she attempts to knock Regina out of the top of the food chain, she gradually becomes her(Gretchen and Karen, the other two, are natural lackeys, not leaders). As such, she abandons everything that made her decent to begin with.

Regina doesn't go down without a fight either, knowing how powerful leader of the 'Plastics' is. So, there is a war between her and the new trio of Plastics (with Cady as leader), creating something so tense that it soon blows up to create a war among all in the jungle (the entire junior female student body). Yada, yada, yada, Cady learns a harsh lesson about how ridiculous the whole thing is, and how she completely lost sense of who she is by instead, parading around with this phony personality and everything else. The force of 'The Plastics' is a very difficult thing to fight off. And the ending does so, rather ridiculously and certainly, unrealistically, including a brief female student bonding session in the gym and a tearful moralistic finale at the school dance (of course, they always end teen movies at a school dance).

Overall, the movie is hilarious, going beyond the typical stupid sexual humor of most of the modern teen fare out there. Though it doesn't absolutely lack it, either. But, it is definitely more intelligent and yes, actually has a pretty significant message for young females. However, the movie does tend to try to go too far in getting it's message out. By half-way in the movie, you should realize that it is more than just another typical story about a not-so-popular kid trying to be popular. Except, towards the end (leading to the public unveiling of the 'Burn Book' and everything after that) tries to go too far in getting it's feminist message out there and then trying to resolve it with one big sort of Brady Bunch styled ending where all the girls become good friends and the detrimental hierarchy of 'Plastics' disbands (though the hierarchy doesn't disappear altogether).

The first half of the movie turned out to be better than the second half, before Cady becomes a full-fledged Plastic, because by that point, the story becomes so indulgent with moments of revenge that becomes so excessive, it turns the rest of the story into something too unbelievable. But overall, it turned out to be better than expected. If young girls want to see a decent movie released recently, skip that horrible anti-independence trash like Sleepover and Cinderella, and check out Mean Girls. Especially, high school girls. Hopefully, you'll learn something about the stupidity of high school social drama.

Positively entertaining

Author: Gordon-11 from Earth
7 August 2015

This film tells the story of a going girl who goes to school for the first time, because she was home schooled even she lived in Africa with her parents. She tries to fit in by hanging out with the nastiest girls in school, being mean to everyone and to themselves.

"Mean Girls" is mean in a really fun way. I don't support being mean or being a bully in school, I only like this film because it's not supposed to be reality. The film made me laugh out loud so many times. The scene of Cady walking right into the bin made me laugh so hard. The final scene about the junior plastics is so funny as well. The best surprise is having Rachel McAdams and Amanda Seyfried as well as the sidekicks. The fact that the film ends positively, with a moral story that being mean doesn't make people feel any better. That's a nice revelation for the characters in the film. I hope the message will get across to youngsters in schools as well!

One of my all-time favorite movies...

Author: Taylor Kingston from Australia
26 July 2015

I absolutely love this movie. It is one of my all-time favorite movies. It is funny, real, and so in touch will the real world. It isn't over the top, it isn't too out there, and it's very relatable.

This movie is about Cady Heron. She is a sixteen-year-old girl, who has just moved from Africa with her parents. Since she's been home-schooled, she finally goes to a real school, but is nervous for the transition. Whilst there, she realizes that high school is very different from the wild animal kingdom she grew up in. She makes a few friends with a couple of goofy outcasts, but soon gets invited to sit with The Plastics. The three most popular girls in the entire school. After this, her real friends convince her to go undercover with The Plastics to try and destroy Regina George's life. Cady doesn't want to at first, but after Regina makes out with Cady's crush, she decides that's what she needs to do. But after a while, she becomes more "plastic" than she expected.

Overall, I give this movie a 10 out of 10, which in my ratings book is: Freaking Ridonkulous.