Mean Girls (2004) Poster

Fun, Sexy, Engaging
l-7060726 August 2017
This film is fun. You laugh, you get angry and you enjoy the show (literally, there is one!) This film is sexy. Who doesn't like girls in mini skirts? Well, OK a few do not for legitimate reasons, but most men do. Sex and the human body is natural, primordial and eternal and this film gives you eye candy sweetness.

This film is engaging. You are interested in the characters, the actresses take on their personas well and the plot moves along quickly.
47 out of 49 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The unthinkable: A good film in this day and age about high school.
TOMASBBloodhound26 June 2005
Though my own high school days are well behind me now, this film received enough acclaim that I was convinced to give it a try. Mean Girls did in fact prove to be a rewarding experience. The film made a ton of money and launched some of its young stars into orbit.

Our story deals with a previously home-schooled girl (Lohan) now having to brave a suburban high school for the first time. She is completely clueless as far as what it takes to be cool in this new world, but she is pretty enough to catch the attention of the most popular girls in the school. The "Plastics" as they are called take the young lady into their world and over time she becomes one of them. The more popular the young lady becomes, the more miserable her life becomes, however.

The film is very funny and it hits pretty hard with its depictions of the various cliques at modern high schools. Some would argue that the characters in this film are just stereotypes, but so are most real life high schoolers. Nearly everyone fit into one category or another even back in my school days, but things seem even more fragmented now.

Tina Fey has written an intelligent script, and thankfully the film was cast well enough to carry it. Lindsay Lohan is charming, but nothing too exceptional. Rachel McAdams pretty much steals this film, and she is likely the cast member who will have the best career of this bunch. I think it's safe to say her scream toward the end of act 2 is the best I've ever heard in any film.Lacey Chabert is also worth mentioning, and she seems worthy of some better roles in the future. Overall, there did not seem to be any casting problems.

Mark Watters keeps things moving along at a brisk pace, and it seems strange to see Lorne Michaels' name in the credits of any film this funny. From what I've heard, the film had to be trimmed of more than a few parts that would have given it in an R-rating. BOO!!!!!! Hard to argue with the box office totals, though! After watching this film, I was reminded of a similar group of popular girls at my high school. They called themselves the Senior Bitch Patrol, and behaved much the same way as the "Plastics." Only back then (88-91) it was mostly about the hair. The bigger the hair, the more popular the girl. All of these girls have gone on to live boring and pointless lives since those days. Go figure....

9 of 10 stars for Mean Girls. Too bad I never had any math teachers as pretty as Tina Fey!
135 out of 158 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Worlds hottest movie
Per T6 June 2017
Worlds hottest movie, according to everyone "in". Obama has quoted from it. Very erudite movie, teaching that motivational structure is one of the hottest topics. An example of this is when Cory Heron decides to on purpose worsen her mathematics exam results, because she wants a reason to ask for help to the boy she is attracted to. If she has good grades on the mathematics exams, she obviously do not need to ask for help from him, as he pointed out. Therefore, her motivation is to do poorly in mathematics. Motivation is everything.
26 out of 28 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Teen Movie since 'Clueless'?
RossNolan21 June 2004
I have to admit that despite being a straight, 22 year old guy I have always had a weakness for teen films so I was looking forward to Lindsay Lohan's (who really impressed me in 'Freaky Friday' and the much underrated 'Confessions of a Teenage Drama Queen') latest.

It exceeded my expectations.

Lindsay is on great form, instantly likable as Cady and believable both as a regular girl and a "regulation hottie". This girl is one of the best comic actresses of her generation and has created a fully rounded character it is difficult not to root for. Not that she carries the film alone.

Of the adults Tim Meadows does sterling work in translating his character with relatively few lines. Neil Flynn (familiar as the Janitor from 'Scrubs') is even better with some great facial expressions as a father as much at sea in suburban America as his daughter. As for Tina Fey... a terrific performance of course and she is still as cute as she was on Saturday Night Live but where she really shines is in the screenplay which sounds real enough (at least for a teen film) and has some razor sharp areas (like Coach Carr's 'lessons').

Of course the key group is the titular Mean Girls themselves - Regina (Rachel McAdams), Gretchen (Lacey Chabert) and Karen (Amanda Seyfried). Rachel McAdams creates a memorable High School tyrant, malicous, power mad and cruel but not entirely virtue free. She'd screw you over in a heartbeat if you stepped on her turf, but the nonthreatening Gretchen is allowed some reward for loyalty. Gretchen herself, played by the delectable Lacey Chabert is a character of her own, not just a cardboard minion to follow orders. Neurotic, shallow, desperate, beautiful, loyal and rather uncertain she is perhaps the saddest and most sympathetic of the Plastics - a girl who certainly has the looks and money to make it to the top of the pyramid but who lacked the will or the certainty. Not a problem with Karen (Amanda Seyfried) who has an admirable certainty of herself and her abilities. In one of the films best lines after a telling off from Regina, Cady tries to comfort her:

Cady: You're not stupid, Karen.

To which Karen replies thoughtfully (without a hint of bitterness or anger):

Karen: No, I am, actually. I'm failing everything.

Indeed she is. Karen is an airhead, and if not actively proud of it, at least accepting. She doesn't seem cruel herself, possibly because she is simply too shallow and dense, but she doesn't seem a bad person. Which for the second minion (Gretchen outranks her) to the villainous is quite a remarkable achievement.

Finally I must mention Lizzy Caplan and Daniel Franzese as Janice and Damian respectively, the outsiders we are rooting for, in theory. They do good work, though I found them slightly dry next to the endlessly dysfunctional Plastics (though that may be something to do with me finding Lacey Chabert much more attractive than Daniel Franzese!)

Overall a very good piece of work from all concerned. If you like teen movies then you'll find this a very good one. If you don't, well hold your nose and try it anyway, you might be pleasantly surprised!
196 out of 245 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Still Great
Mary Samter27 October 2017
My boyfriend has this on DVD so we put it on last night and watched it together. It is still good and has not dated at all.

The clique is indeed mean and one wonders whether high schools are like that today. I graduated high school a decade ago and don't remember such a mean environment, but then again that is the appeal and story of the film.

The girls are really hot and they flaunt it. Gretchen is the prettiest to me, but of course they are all handpicked to be pretty especially during their stage show.

In short, funny, mean, sexy and anyone who has attended high school is bound to identify to some degree. Fun film
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
dianeejordan11 August 2017
This movie is an easy one to enjoy over and over again. I think how funny you find the story is relative to your age. As someone newly out of high school, I can tell you that the high school clicks portrayed in this film are a bit far-fetched. I have never heard someone say "you can't sit with us" or of being called "too gay to function". This movie is still simply witty and smart with a story line that is far different from the main stream movies that come out today.
11 out of 11 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Fun & worth seeing
P-kin320 June 2004
"Mean Girls" is a fun movie that can be enjoyed thoroughly by the adult set as well as its seeming target audience, teens. The flick opens up with Cady Heron (Lindsay Lohan) embarking on her first day of the jungle that is high school ever as she has been home-schooled in Africa her whole life. After some initial bumps in the road, she manages to befriend two "artsy" misfits, Janis (Lizzy Caplan) and Damian (Daniel Franzese). Surprisingly, however, she is also quickly welcomed into the Plastics, a group of uber-popular girls who seem to be simultaneously admired and resented by all. On Janis's urgings, Cady infiltrates the Plastics, and her mission becomes personal when the Plastics leader, Regina (Rachel McAdams), stabs Cady in the back.

"Mean Girls" is indeed an exaggerated version of reality, but its depiction of the brutality and ridiculousness of high school and the need to find and stay true to oneself within a social construct manage to ring true. It does not stray away from or gloss over the dark humor that high school inevitably draws out nor is it apologetic in its over-the-topness. The result is a hilarious, well-written/performed film that is unpredictable and worth seeing.

Lindsay Lohan shows us once again that not only is an actress with range and a deft comedienne, she is also extremely likable and charismatic. Other stand-out performances go to Caplan and Franzese as well as Tina Fey (who plays a teacher), Amanda Seyfried (as one of the Plastics, Karen), and McAdams. McAdams, probably best known as the title character in "The Hot Chick", is an actress who continues surprise me with her great comedic skills (don't believe me? Watch her deleted scenes from "The Hot Chick" DVD. I liked them better than the whole movie!!).

All in all, this flick is great fun and more well-done than might be initially expected!
78 out of 95 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
So Fetch
tom_sto8616 February 2006
Mean Girls isn't your average teen comedy, which you can tell are written by adults who have no insight into the social politics that revolve around teenage life, and who consequently divide everyone into two groups - cool (jocks and cheerleaders) and uncool (goths and science nerds). And it is this inherent understanding of teen life, that writer Tina Fey has applied to the film which makes it stand out, and such a pleasure to watch.

Cady Herron (played by Lindsay Lohan) is starting her first day of school - and she's 16. She's been home-schooled all her life (in Africa), and is totally unprepared for and untutored in the ways of an American high school. She quickly befriends Janis Ian (Lizzy Caplan) and Damian (Daniel Franzese), two of the biggest social outcasts in school. However, after a chance encounter in the canteen with the plastics (teen royalty), otherwise known as Regina George (Rachel Macadams), Gretched Wieners (Lacey Chabert) and Karen Smith (Amanda Seyfried), Cady's world begins to change dramatically as she is sucked in by the rules and cliques of Girlworld.

The dialogue in the film is sharp and witty, not the OTT Dawson's Creek or O.C. teen-speak. The teenagers actually look like teenagers, not like 30 year olds playing teenagers. And what holds the film together are the great performances from the actors. They're all perfect. Lindsay Lohan is perfect as Cady, the clueless girl who gets a taste of popularity and has to have more. Lizzy Caplan is a revelation as Janis, a punk character who would be sidelined either as a freak, or as a candidate for a makeover, in any other teen movie. But it is the actresses who play the plastics who truly stand out. Lacey Chabert is ideal as Gretchen, the insecure, 2nd-in command girl, who fakes her friendship with Regina just to be considered popular. Amanda Seyfried, as the ultimate dumb blonde Karen, has impeccable comic timing. And rising Hollywood star Rachel Macadams, as Regina George, is the stand-out in the film as the manipulative bitch who has to stay on top at all costs.

Mean Girls isn't just a film for teen girls and gay guys. Most of my (straight) male friends love it, and everyone I know who's seen it recognises elements of the film and the characters from their own secondary school experiences. Mean Girls is, as Gretchen would say (in keeping with "British" slang, even though I'm English and the term just doesn't exist!), that the film is just So Fetch.
51 out of 61 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Being bad has never been so good....
dedebee24 January 2005
The teen-movie genre returns with "Mean Girls," and it comes back with a vengeance. What could have been a tired and clichéd retread of "Heathers" is actually a clever and witty flick thanks to the talents of screenwriter Tina Fey. Fey, head writer for "Saturday Night Live" and co-anchor of their "Weekend Update," has an amazing flair for satire, and what better way to showcase it than with a analytical glimpse at the world of high school cliques? Lindsay Lohan is Cady, the previously home-schooled daughter of two zoologists, growing up in the African wilderness while Mom and Dad conduct their research. When the 'rents decide to settle down, Cady gets her first taste of public schooling, which is almost as wild as the jungles and safaris she's used to. Cady is introduced to the different factions that populate the cafeteria—including the nympho band geeks, the nerdy Asians, the cool Asians, the varsity jocks and of course, the Plastics, teen royalty led by the manipulative Regina George (Rachel McAdams).

Cady is encouraged to infiltrate the Plastics by her new friends Janice (Lizzy Caplan), a gothy and arty outcast who possesses a Janaene Garafalo-style wit, and the flamboyantly out-and-proud Damian (Daniel Franzese), who fears the Plastics but admires their fabulousness. Cady agrees to the sabotage scheme, but it's not long before she succumbs to the glamorous life of the Plastics and starts to engage in their underhanded activities, such as writing in their "Burn Book," in which nasty (and hilarious) things are jotted down about every girl in their high school.

It all might sound like the typical teen fare, but the result is nothing like that. The cast is surprisingly flawless, from Lohan (who brings a depth to her role that Hilary Duff could only ever dream of achieving) to the entire supporting cast, which is filled with current "SNL" members and alums. Fey herself shows up along with Tim Meadows as sardonic members of the high school faculty, while Ana Gasteyer and Amy Poehler portray parents who just don't understand. Poehler steals every scene she's in as Regina's "cool mom," desperately trying to fit in by doing things like offering minors alcohol at her home, because she'd rather have them drinking there than somewhere else.

The younger members of the cast don't let the veterans walk away with the whole show though. Caplan and Franzese own their roles, Franzese particularly when Damian displays his adulation for Christina Aguilera during a holiday talent show. The other members of the Plastics shine as well. Besides the deliciously vindictive McAdams as the Queen Bee, the crew includes former "Party of Five" actress Lacey Chabert as the gossipy Gretchen and Amanda Seyfried as the clueless Karen, who's not above making out with her first cousin (because "there's cousins, and then there's first cousins and second cousins…").

Fey, with the help of director Mark Waters ("Freaky Friday," "The House of Yes"), has infused the film with her trademark comedic brilliance. The jokes and gags come at a break-neck pace, but the punch lines aren't the only hilarious aspects. Little touches such as Gretchen's dad being the inventor of Toaster Strudels and Regina's MTV obsessed little sister are details that will inspire laughter long after the movie is over. Even the particulars about the background characters should provide endless chuckles (just try to think about Trang Pak, the girl in wheelchair and her little person-sidekick, and the Middle-Eastern, hip-hop-obsessed mathlete/"Bad-Ass MC" after the movie without smiling).

If there's anything to complain about in this film, it's the overt sexualization of teenage girls. Of course, the actresses are older than they play, with the exception of Lohan (who, at 17 years old, brings an R. Kelly-like meaning to "The Parent Trap"). Parents might see the Disney-friendly actress in the trailers and bring their young children, but this movie is not for those under high school age (girls are called "sluts" and "whores" throughout). However, that doesn't mean anyone who's older than the class of 2004 shouldn't check "Mean Girls" out. Fey, Waters, and the entire cast have made sure the experience will be enjoyable for everyone.
177 out of 232 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Best Teen Movie Ever
christian12323 November 2004
Lindsay Lohan plays a teen girl trying to get along at a new high school. This time, she plays a girl home schooled in Africa, whose first experience at a public school is marred by a clique of nasty girls called the Plastics, who use gossip and other torture techniques to try to ruin her social life.

The story makes it sound like another generic teen film but this one is actually quite funny and realistic. The most cynical person will point out that this is a cheap rip off of Heathers and they are similar. While Heathers is a good movie, mean Girls is an even better movie. I think Mean Girls is very good for a number of reasons. First, the script is actually creative and smart. Tina Fey seems to understand that teens want comedies they can relate to and she did that with Mean Girls. Of course, there were a few lame scenes but nothing that kills the film. Tina Fey should leave SNL and focus on her career in movies.

Second, the acting is very good and convincing. Rachel McAdams offers the best and funniest performance as Regina. Her character is very mean (hence the title) yet I found it so hard to actually hate her. She has this charm that sucks the audience in on her and its so hard to hate her. Lindsay Lohan also gives a good performance as Cady. Her best scenes are with Rachel. They have very good chemistry together. The other plastics are played by Lacey Chabert and Amanda Seyfried. They also give good performances and the scenes that have all the plastics together are very entertaining. The rest of the supporting cast are pretty good and Tina Fey also has a small role as Cady's math teacher.

Another reason why Mean Girls is so good is because it's actually funny for people over the age of 21. It's not just for teens but also for adults. Mark Waters is proving to be very good at directing harmless comedies like Freaky Friday and this one. He keeps the film short yet enormously entertaining. I really don't understand how someone could actually give this movie a one. I understand some people finding it over the top or stupid but it doesn't deserve a one. In the end, this smart and funny teen movie deserves to be seen. Rating 8/10
203 out of 272 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Why you should see the movie
Richard (dicksosa)8 May 2004
Although this movie is no Heathers in its cruelness it still has comical wit and crass jokes. The movie basically takes a girl who has never been to public school until she was 16, as she's been in Africa with her parents, and throws her into to her Junior year of high school. Now that in itself is a decent plot that can either lead to a movie full of wisely placed cracks or a horrible flop. This film is much more the former.

The cast of actresses does a decent enough job, and they do have enough timing to deliver punchlines with an effective manner. One of the best parts however is Tim Meadows of Saturday Night Live, who is the principal of the high school. His dry style blends well into the movie to provide a great relief from the cliche jokes that can inhabit a film like this.

Another great aspect is the subtle political jokes thrown in this movie, knocking how kids in our society are raised by MTV and it's idea of what is cool. The jabs aren't a main part of the movie but I found extremely funny.

The movie has the trite ending as you would expect of a film like this, however there is enough unexpected parts of the film that it doesn't really subtract from the film as an enjoyable experience. So even though the film seems like it would be a pile of steaming dog mess, it isn't. It's a well blended strawberry margarita on a lazy Sunday afternoon at the beach. Definitely worth a watch.
48 out of 62 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
a "magnified" genuine portrayal of the downsides of female friend relations in adolescence
Boyan Kelchev28 September 2005
Had I seen the film a year, a month, a week or even a day earlier, I wouldn't have appreciated it as much as I did today when I was sitting in a small university auditorium, relating what I saw to the issues discussed by the professor prior to the projection, trying arduously to control the flow of thoughts and emotions in my brain.

Mean Girls is what a large number of people would consider a silly teen comedy. It tells the story of a previously home-schooled, brought up in Africa, adolescent who enters a cliquish high school environment. Essentially the film focuses our attention on a number of psychological issues touched in almost every similar teen movie. In the beginning the issue is adaptation to a new environment, and as the movie unfolds it centers on social cliques, female friend relationships, social prejudice, social influence, rivalry, or as the professor I heard put it - relational aggression.

What is especially interesting about the movie, in my opinion, is that it illustrates an unbelievably highly stratified societal group, and thus helps the viewer unequivocally identify with and easily take a stand on the issues discussed. Metaphorically it serves as a microscope for us to observe social interactions with. Moreover the actions of the protagonists are so blatantly right or wrong that they eliminate any ambiguity that might arise of considering the things happening in another environment or under other circumstances. That way the viewer simply focuses on the darkest characteristics of female interactions in society. In this sense the film is not about adolescent girls and their experiences in high school but rather about the most negative features of female friend relations in adolescence.

The very same genuineness of the film makes it so hilarious at many points. What prevents us from laughing at the ridiculous social trends, prejudices, and many people's beliefs, most possibly including ours, in reality is that our actual emotions and thoughts rarely come up to the surface. Even our actions in most situations are covert. Yet, paradoxically, our way of thinking is shaped by society which constitutes of other people who are also as secretive in this sense as we are. And this covert way of feeling and thinking contributes greatly to the growth of prejudice, misunderstanding, and ... meanness.

Revealing a prejudice I hold, I have always believed that the single most important objective of a film is to provide food for thought. That is why I think this teen comedy ranks among the best ones I have seen recently.
52 out of 68 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
One of the best teen flicks of all time
Lizzy m23 April 2017
I feel as though any comedy written by Tina Fey is gonna be perfect. Thetiming of the humor is flawless, the moral is heartwarming, and the characters are to die for. Even those whom aren't into "chick flicks" like these will probably have a marvelous time watching this, whether male or female, and whether young or old. I've heard guys admittedly ogle over this film. I mean, even my grandpa thought it was hilarious, which says a lot considering he is more of the serious type who rarely laughs at what most would consider funny. Therefore meaning, if my grandpa can enjoy it, then it's highly likely that anyone else could as well.
7 out of 7 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Lindsay Lohan and Rachel McAdams Square Off
atlasmb11 September 2017
"Mean Girls" feels perfectly suited to Lindsay Lohan's talents. As the new girl in school (Cady Heron) who is trying to fit in, she is extremely likable. She becomes fast friends with Janis Ian (Lizzy Caplan, who nails her performance. If you are not familiar with singer Janis Ian, check out her hit single "Seventeen") and Damian (Daniel Franzese), but gets sucked into a three-girls clique called the Plastics. With her allegiance split between the two factions, she finds herself becoming a person she does not like.

This film is notable for the break-through performances of Rachel McAdams and Amanda Seyfried. McAdams plays Regina, the queen of the Plastics. It is a role that is similar to many that preceded, but still holds up.

Speaking of precursors, one might consider this film to be a rip-off of others that came before. Or it might be considered as merely referential. Or perhaps an homage. But however you chose to view it, it has definite references to "The Breakfast Club", "Ferris Bueller's Day Off", "Clueless", "Risky Business", and other John Hugh's films.

The screenplay (adaptation) by Tina Fey is, at turns, clever and unsubtle. But it is a solid entry in the canon of teen comedies.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Teenage drama flick
johnlittle-4019828 August 2017
What can i say about Mean girls... despite being a 16-year-old and this movie coming out in 2004, when i was 3, this movie REALLY got me hooked as of July 9... thank you Tina Fey and Mark Waters for making such an awesome film... the story of Mean Girls follows Cady (Lindsay Lohan) around her new school after being home-schooled for the first 12 years of her life or something, she comes to meet 2 friends after bumping into Ms.Norbury (Tina Fey herself) and spilling her donuts, a gothy art freak named Janis (Lizzy Caplan) and her best companion the almost too gay to function Damian (Daniel Franzese) and they tell her about the Plastics, the elite popular girl clique at their school. Janis tells Cady all about Regina George (Rachel McAdams) the queen-bee and star as Damian puts it, and her two little workers, the very rich and popular Gretchen Weiners (Lacey Chabert) and dim-witted but very sweet Karen Smith (Amanda Seyfried) and tells her to quote on quote "beware of the plastics" after giving her a lunch-time guide. Well, to cut a long story short, Cady befriends the 3 popular but manipulative teens after Janis tells her to quote on quote "spy" on them. However, when Cady falls for Regina's ex-boyfriend Aaron Samuels (Jonathan Bennet) she is stung, and now tries to ruin Cady's social life, while at the sane time trying to ruin HER life. In conclusion, after alo t of serious events with the burn book, and Mrs.George (Amy Poehler) Regina's cool 😉 mom, the principal (Tim Meadows) decides to go ahead and give Cady a punishment, making "girl world" at peace again.

I am absolutely OBSESSED with this movie, Lindsay Lohan did such a great job portraying the main Cady Heron, as well as Rachel McAdams who played the queen bee herself because you have to have a nice girl to play a mean girl, which was VERY convincing. Lacey Chabert and Amanda Seyfried did such a great job too portraying their characters, and for Seyfried's feature film debut, well let's just say... it made her a really big break-out star, i also love the addition of the SNL characters such as Fey, Poehler, Tim Meadows, and Ana Gasteyer who played Cady's mom.

Some of the stuff that interested me in this film was that Rachel McAdams was only 7 years younger than Amy Poehler, and 8 years older than Lohan, but i love how they managed to have her play a high school student and still make it work.

In conclusion, i recommend this movie to any teenage girls, or just anyone who LOVES teenage films, cause out of all the teen films (chick flicks as i like to call them) but this one takes the cake.
6 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Queen Bee and Wannabees
jotix10022 November 2005
Rosalind Wiseman wrote the novel that Tina Fey adapted for the screen. The result, "Mean Girls" is a statement about what it's like to be a student going through high school today. In fact, it presents an ugly side about how school, a place for lasting friendships, camaraderie, and just a place for learning is everything but that, according to what one witnesses. In fact, in order to navigate its cliques and groups, one needs a route map in order not to offend anyone. "Mean Girls" is directed by Mark Waters, who gives it a light touch.

At the center of the story we find Cady, a newly arrived girl who has lived in Africa and has been taught by her parents. Since they are back in the country, they enroll their daughter so she can have the experience of mixing with her peers. Cady, who is a sweet and naive girl unexposed to the real world, finds friendship with a pair of unpopular students, Janis Ian and Damian.

Cady is guided through the ropes by her new friends who suggest to her to penetrate the world of the "Plastic" trio who are the local fashionistas in their school. These young women live to dress for school; instead of studying, the trio has their own set of rules, which totally confuses Cady, who adapts, but she has no feeling for her new acquired friends.

Cady makes the mistake of liking one of the Plastics former boyfriend, the hunky Aaron. When she confesses it to Gretchen, this one tells her that is a no-no according to an unknown code of conduct because Aaron is Regina's former boyfriend, and she is to stay away from him. Cady excels in math, but she decides to play dumb in order to have Aaron like her. That develops into more than friendship until Regina intervenes.

"Mean Girls" will be loved by teen age girls, the audience for which the film is targeted. Lindsay Lohan is immensely appealing as the newly arrived Cady. Rachel McAdams and Lacey Chabert are Regina and Gretchen, respectively. Tina Fey plays one of the teachers in the school who is wrongly accused of being involved in drugs.

The film is fun to watch thanks to the young and talented cast in it.
53 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Falls Ideologically Flat
Nephalim17 April 2005
Minor Spoilers Ahead, watch out! This would've been a good movie if it had gone for utter farce and didn't try to so overtly deliver a moral, which ironically would've gotten the point across.

Now I'm going to assume by the language and content that this movie was written for mid-teens. High-schoolers. However, the way it's delivered treats its audience like children that need to be walked from one idea to another. Instead of potentially coming to the conclusions the movie advocates ourselves, we're hand-held through some sloppy voiceovers from Cady Heron, the lead character played by Lindsay Lohan. The whole point of the movie is that these so-called "plastics" live pointless, hollow lives, thriving merely off the failures of others. This is extremely clear already, and doesn't need to be spelled out for us.

While I'm on the subject of theme, I'd also like to address some of the hypocrisy this movie demonstrates. Going into it, one expects that this will attempt to demonize the clique nature of high school culture. Instead, it promotes it. All conflict in this movie comes from cliques clashing, and the happy resolution has the characters disassociate from each other into their own cliques. The only thing this film does is address problem cliques, like the "skank army" led by Rachel McAdams' Regina George, ensuring that with their destruction, the other cliques can live in peace. It's a wasted opportunity, if nothing else, that could've showcased just how ridiculous clique systems are.

And then of course there's the blatant shallowness, disguised as marketing. The lead is the attractive (I think we can all agree) Lindsay Lohan, and while she's befriended by the average-looking Janis and Damien, they end up playing very minor roles. Instead, we're bombarded with beautiful people for the majority of the film. Beautiful Cady pursues hunky Aaron despite the machinations of pretty Regina. And even when Cady tricks Regina into gaining weight which makes her apparently lose her "hot body," she still looks amazing. A couple of overweight students are thrown in so that Cady can, in the profound conclusion, assure us that you can still be beautiful without being a supermodel, but the film ignores these characters just as much as the Mean Girls it vilifies do.

Why does Cady have to desire the typical teenage heart-throb over, say, the quirky but kind-hearted Damien? Why can't Janis be happily homosexual? Or at least ambiguous? Why does the film have to assure us, at the end, that she IS, in fact, straight? Why must every fat person persist to be a sponge for comedic abuse instead of an actual character? Why couldn't any of the pretty girls realize that being pretty doesn't (or, at least, shouldn't) matter and stop putting so much effort into it? What seems to be an effort to break down preconceptions ends up reinforcing all the stereotypes we've seen before.

If you don't want to look into it, it's entertaining enough. Many of the jokes are rather obvious, but it has its moments, particularly Rachel McAdams getting suddenly hit by a school bus during a heated confrontation with Lindsay Lohan. Watching it, I was thinking to myself, "Man, arguing in the road? Someone better get hit by a bus," and lo and behold, BAM. I laughed extensively, and my vote would've been lower without it.
23 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I liked it at first, but I do not like Lohan at all anymore.
Shawn Watson20 June 2004
I knew nothing of this movie before I saw it. In fact I only went to see because I have a crush on Lindsay Lohan and I really liked her in Freaky Friday. So it was quite a payoff when it turned out to be quite fun film and nothing like the dreadful teen comedies we've suffered too much off in the past five years (making love to pies, losing ones' car and certain Scary Movies).

The story has Cady Heron go through her first day of sixteen. She's been homeschooled all her life and lived with her parents in the African bush. She has known nothing of the deceitful, backstabbing and ugly world of high school. Upon arrival she makes friends with a level-headed goth and a fat guy gay. They instruct her on who is naughty, nice and full of vice. The 'in' group of the school are 'The Plastics' (because they're so fake), a trio of cheerleaders who make everyone's life hell.

The leader is Regina George, the nastiest girl in the universe and at her side and the dumb and airheaded Gretchen Wieners and Karen Smith (played by the impossibly cute Amanda Seyfried). In order to take them down Cady must become one of them. She takes great pride in ruining Regina only to take her place. Much like Arnie did in Predator, she became a monster in order to destroy a monster.

With loads of observational humor and satire, Mean Girls ends up being a very intelligent movie, sort of a 'Clueless' that's not so nineties. A lot of attention is paid to character and performance, not something hastily thrown together and chucked out there. Originally it ended up with an R rating and had to be toned down. I would have loved to see that cut of the film.

Another interesting thing is that I've always though Lindsay Lohan looked like the character of Ginny in Friday the 13th Part 2. So it was weird when the movie was featured in Mean Girls and had Cady startle her pals watching it by bursting through the door as soon as Jason bursts through the window.

I will probably buy this on DVD when it comes out and I suggest you see it on the big screen. My showing was pretty packed and everyone seemed to enjoy it a lot.
103 out of 176 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mean Girls is Bad Movie **
edwagreen18 October 2012
The typical modern current high school scene with a variety of characters that we have seen over and over again.

No wonder Lindsay Lohan has had a troubled life. She is just emulating what she portrayed in this film.

We have the new student (Lohan)home-schooled and repatriated from the African continent. Tina Fey is the math teacher who talks about her personal life with the students-including her recent divorce and the fact that she works three jobs. Any hint here of low-teacher salaries?

Then there is the group of girls, the usual campus queens, who befriend Cady (Lohan) only to be betrayed by her when she accepts the friendship of the head girl's ex-friend who is trying to get revenge on her, as well as the gay boyfriend who makes it clear that he always has pink.

We view plenty of back-stabbing. What are they trying to show, is this is what life is all about? Everyone comes together again by film's end in harmony. Fey suddenly plays counselor to the troubled girls and school gone wild in one frenzy of a scene.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Silly and Funny Teen Comedy
Claudio Carvalho17 April 2005
The teenager Cady Heron (Lindsay Lohan) has just arrived in United State of America, after being raised in Afrika without going to conventional school. Their parents are zoologists, and her mother has been her tutor and she was educated at home-school, being an excellent student in mathematics. When she arrives in the high-school, she looks for a spot in one of the groups, becoming friend of the rejected Janis Ian (Lizzy Caplan), unfairly called of lesbian by the other girls, and the gay Damian (Daniel Franzese). When The Plastics, the most closed clique in the school leaded by the evil Regina George (Rachel McAdams), invites her to join their selected group, Cady accepts the invitation, trying to reach their dark secrets to disclose to her friends, but later she changes her behavior with her friends. When she has a crush on the former boy-friend of Regina, Aaron Samuels, Regina looks for revenge, plotting an evil plan against Cady. "Mean Girls" is a silly and funny teen movie, supported mainly by the gorgeous and charismatic Lindsay Lohan. The story explores the behavior of the teenagers, trying to find their true personality while molding their characters. The cast is very funny, and the story is totally based on the American culture and behavior of the American teenagers. Anyway, it is a good entertainment. My vote is seven.

Title (Brazil): "Meninas Malvadas" ("Mean Girls")
40 out of 67 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Surprisingly good - great characters and script with good jokes, and even decent drama and storyline
gamergcfan12 March 2016
Exceptionally written, often quite funny, and never boring, this movie is quite good for what it is. The characters are really well- developed, and the drama is good, especially for a comedy. This is a rewatchable comedy that isn't painful to rewatch due to the drama not being boring and the consistency of the jokes.

The jokes never fall flat. Many of the "jokes" are just quirky, well-written dialogue that still add to the movie. This may not be the funniest movie ever, but it has better drama, characters, storyline, and script to make it better. It's like an amusing drama, which makes it an enjoyable comedy-drama.

Is this a chick flick? Well, I expected this to be really chick- flicky, but it wasn't really that chick-flicky. It's really just a comedy with female leads. What is the humour closest to? I find that the dialogue humour (which is most of the movie's comedy), as well as the situational humour, is probably the closest to the more recent box office bomb R.I.P.D.'s dialogue humour, except much less lifeless. Mean Girls also has some humour that also reminds me of Men in Black.

+ Funny

+ Never boring

+ Decent story

+ Exceptionally written

+ Great characters

Score: 8. I didn't find it particularly hilarious anywhere, but the jokes are consistent, and the overall movie is amusing.
3 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
It's a movie about mean girls.
thecoloroftea19 February 2015
This is a movie starring Lindsay Lohan, who must deal with stereotypes in a high school. These stereotypes include the popular girls who are mean (as the title suggests), a handsome boy who has seemingly no flaws and exists solely to be a crush to Lindsay Lohan, and the outcasts who consist of a quasi-goth and a man who's personality, as I assume was written in the script, is: he's gay.

What I find interesting about this movie is that the only characters I enjoy watching are the ones I'm not supposed to like. These characters are the mean girls themselves, of which the outcasts do not like one bit. Lindsay Lohan befriends these outcasts, and the quasi-goth tells Lindsay never to associate with the mean girls. This is of course followed immediately by Lindsay associating with the mean girls. Lindsay's friendship with the outcasts ends after this. Really, that's it. The rest of the movie is Lindsay getting to know the mean girls, and 'discovering' herself. As it turns out, she's just as bad as they are, but she can mask it better.

The audience is supposed to believe that the outcasts are good, and the mean girls are, well, not. But that's my gripe: Lindsay actually has a better friendship with the mean girls than with the outcasts. Sure the mean girls may be mean, but Lindsay changes and evolves with them over the course of the movie, all the while uncovering her own inner demons, as well as theirs, and actually getting to know each other. And yes, Lindsay may go her own way in the end, but she had an actual relationship with these girls. Compare that to her relationship with the outcasts:

Quasi-goth: "You're our new friend."

Lindsay: "Cool."

Gay guy: "I'm gay."

Lindsay: "I'm gonna go over there" (goes to hangout with the mean girls. Doesn't come back until the end of the movie)

-at the end of the movie-

Lindsay: Hey, so we're still friends, right?

Quasi-goth: Yes.

Gay guy: *does stereotypical gay thing*

Whew, glad she's back with her real friends, right? Remember all those hardships they overcame? Like when they greeted each other? Or when Lindsay confessed her feelings for the handsome boy? Oh wait, no, that last one she did with the mean girls. Along with everything else in the movie.

It's not like I expect literary greatness from a movie like this, but I'd prefer it if the movie stuck to the 'love to hate these guys' thing instead of pushing its confused morals on us. Who are we supposed to be rooting for? Lindsay's just as big of a jerk as the mean girls, and so are the outcasts. At least the mean girls are supposed to be hated, which brings about a certain satisfaction, but I can't stand the outcasts either. In fact, I hate them even more because they're the ones who come out on top in the end, I think. All that aside though, this movie's pretty good for a laugh at the sheer corniness, if you're into that sort of thing.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
GREAT movie...not so big on the ending.
For most people, high school is Hell. The girls are usually worse than the guys. Yes, guys can be jerks, don't get me wrong, but girls will go out of their way to make every waking moment torturous for their prey. I loved how "Mean Girls" showed how cruel the "plastics" in high school really are, but they got the ending all wrong. We all WISH the real queen-bees of high school could get hit by a bus and realize their evil ways, but the fact of the matter is that things like that don't usually happen. Sure there are exceptions, but I knew the queen-bees in high school. They never changed. They stayed mean all through high school and out into the real world. I see them wandering around town years later and they're just as mean as they were back then. When they're mean in high school, they usually don't change. They end up marrying someone mean, having mean children, and then running the PTA. (No offense to anyone who's in the PTA).

Anyway, I really enjoyed the movie. Especially how Lindsey Lohan was able to get out of the mean group. I just wasn't to crazy about the fantastical ending. Lindsey Lohan was able to get out because she hadn't been in it for very long, but for those who've made it in the plastic group all the way up until junior year, there's usually no hope for them.
27 out of 48 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mean Critics
Justin-MacLean13 June 2005
I have to start off by being honest here. I had absolutely no desire to see this movie (at first). At the time I was in my late 20's & having to watch yet anther movie about the "new kid" getting revenge on the "school bullies" has been overplayed. -ugh However.......that was not this movie! I was glad this movie won some awards at the 2005 MTV Movie Awards, because otherwise, I would had not rented (soon will be purchasing) this movie.

********Minor Spoiler Alert********** It's more of an opinion I guess, but I found the main character, Lindsay Lohan to be the meanest girl. Though I'm sure others will argue differently, but at the same time, that's what works about this movie.

I'm sure many of know girls or women who "plays mind games" with one another, but yet act like their "friends". ha ha ha ha I'm was not a Lindsay Lohan nor a Tina Fey fan, but I have to admit, they won me over in this movie.

A movie for all ages & funny enough a good moral in the mix of it all.
11 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Entertaining to the extreme!
astro_923 July 2005
Without a doubt, the film Mean Girls is entertaining to the extreme! This gem of a movie features a fascinating cast, an interesting storyline, and a message that is very straightforward. The flick also delivers numerous moments that are sure to prove themselves to be unforgettable. Lindsay Lohan is an actress that really glows with powerful evidence.

The characters in this movie are lots of terrific fun to watch. Each one keeps you amused in a very unique way. Cady, the lead character, is a joyous young personality. I really like all three of the girls in the Plastics "gang". Not only are Regina, Gretchen, and Karen are all exceedingly attractive from my point of perspective, but they are also incredibly stunning. Cady's parents are a little passive and boring. Mr. Duvall, the school's ever watchful chief administrator, is perhaps the most aggressive figure in the entire movie. Math instructor Ms. Norbury has tons of persistence, confidence and charisma. Mrs. George is also very charming. Janis and Damian are somewhat apprehensive, pessimistic, and restless. Finally, Aaron, the popular boy, is very sociable and intellectual.

In short, I love this movie to the full. It really keeps me mesmerized even when the points are low. Lindsay Lohan's character is truly a delight. Forever a favorite!
24 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this