IMDb > Mean Creek (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Mean Creek

Mean Creek More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 16: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Very Closed and/but realistic

Author: miagy from Czech Republic
20 April 2005

This low-budget film didn't look like something unusual but finally it was pretty and valuable I would say. It is the story of several teenagers planning humiliate a fat lard bully boy who beaten one of them( the youngest one) . Under the disguise of the birthday party they invited him to the boat trip where they wanted to throw him into the river. But after some time, knowing him better already ,they changed their minds - but a little game spoils everything and the disaster is going to happen.

What I liked was that this movie didn't stop a while after that tragedy but showed things after that as well. The acting of teenager looking at a dead person has to be really strange particularly there is the straight connection in cause. And as the top of the cake - the main character is performed by Rony Culkin - but I don't care:-)

No summary - Only from a genius

Author: yassif from Germany
10 April 2005

Hi, I don't want to give a perfect summary of the movie. All I can say is if you like dramas and if you like to see only a usual situation which can be everywhere in the world, look this movie. I'm sorry that the scale for voting ends with 10, because I give this movie a 12. The actors are between 12 and 18, and it is one of the most perfect acting I've ever seen. I hope my English would be better to describe it, but sound, pictures, and the silence is perfect in this movie, and the acting is awesome. I mean gods like Tom Hanks learned it, but this kids have it in their blood. Now they have one more fan. I looked the movie yesterday and got 4 heart attacks, because it was sooooo incredible good. But as I said, not for everyone, you must like this genre, but if you did, you will see one of the best movies in this case, believe me.

Intelligently Portrayed; Excellent Acting; and Beautifully Shot.

Author: francesca orr from manchester, chorlton
27 March 2005

Well, I think the title tells you most of what you need to know. This is a coming of age film about the consequences of five teenagers taking action against the high school bully. An often used premise you would think, but it is done in a completely different way to anything I've ever seen, bringing up new principles in an overly used subject. The film conveys a unique realism that catches your breath and keeps you sitting up straight in your seat.

The acting by Carly Shroeder, Ryan Kelley, Scott Mechlowitz, Josh Peck, and Trevor Morgan is superb, and Estes manages to catch the realism of teenage life extraordinarily. The film had to be rated R/18 because of foul language, but it would not have come across as, as realistic if not for the bad language, in which most teenagers use in their every day life. So Estes chose realism over a wider population seeing 'Mean Creek'. I'm not sure which one I would have chosen.

Despite this, I think it is the kind of film that every teenager should see and it is very relatable on every level. One character I could see a little of myself in was the shyness of Clyde, and his pain over being laughed at(Because of his parents being two gay men). The expression on his face is something I can recall on my own, and I'm sure all of the other characters are relatable to someone out there. Anyhow, I don't want to give away too much of the story, and the consequences of its unique though often followed plot, so I'll go now, but trust me, this is a must see.

The only negative thing I can say about it is that the ending bugged the hell out of me, so don't expect a huge conclusive ending. Despite this I pleasantly and thoroughly enjoyed this provocative and once in a life time movie. Hope you will be too, though don't go into the cinema expecting the best film ever, because you'll just wind up walking out of there thinking "Well it wasn't 'that' good".

[**** out of *****] Later ppl, Luv Cesca, x

awesome

Author: Matt (matt44summer@yahoo.com) from Columbus, OH
25 March 2005

What a totally incredible ensemble of young talent... This film brings an intriguing story to life through great writing and truly brilliant acting. All six of the main characters, led, in my opinion, by Scott Mechlowicz, are so real and so believable. In a world where mediocre child/young adult actors abound, it is refreshing to see an entire cast that understands the art.

Rory Culkin carries on the family tradition set by his two older brothers; he is perfect in the role of Sam. Trevor Morgan possesses the perfect balance of emotions--he is strong yet shows moments of weakness and fear. Ryan Kelley is great, too; as are Josh Peck and Carly Schroeder.

A must-see for sure.

a well written and compelling movie

Author: hlnma4332 from United States
24 March 2005

I first heard about this movie mainly on the internet from movie sites and critics. They raved, and after hearing what they said, I decided to rent it. It disappoints me because indie films like these don't really get the time of day unlike big-budget Hollywood films.

The story first starts off with a young teenager named Sam {Rory Culkin}who gets picked on by a misunderstood bully, George {Josh Peck}. His brother Rocky {Trevor Morgan} wants to give him a taste of his own medicine by stirring up a seemingly harmless adolescent prank, which consists of luring him into a boat, stripping him of his clothes, throwing him in the water, and leaving him to walk home nude. In on the prank are some of Rocky's friends {Scott Mechlowicz and Ryan Kelley}, and also Sam's friend {Carly Schroeder}, who is oblivious to the scheme. But things go haywire when the plan goes wrong and George gets pushed into the water and drowns, leaving the crew clueless and not knowing where to turn.

I found the performances by this young crew superb and well-done, but one that especially stood out in my mind was the one done by Josh Peck. The choice of the cast was excellent, and I won't be surprised if we see these people in the near future in Oscar- worthy roles. I would give big props to the director/producer Jacob Estes for making such a wonderful film. This movie is definitely worth seeing and perhaps for some, buying. This is a wonderful film that is compelling and shocking.

Unexpectedly Great Movie

Author: TurningJapanese from United States
21 March 2005

See this movie! Often, when I am not sure which movie I will watch, I run through the list of available movies on my Cox Entertainment On-Demand digital cable service, sometimes comparing against IMDb reviews.

Numerous times I have passed this title, because from the plot summary, it appeared to be completely unoriginal.

After seeing a 7+ rating on IMDb I decided to give it a try. My expectations were not high, but I was pleasantly surprised.

Quite contrary to my expectations, the acting from this young cast is superb. Rory Culkins performance is marginal, but he plays well with excellent performances by Trevor Morgan and Scott Mechlowicz.

I saw some posts calling for 'best original screenplay'. I'm not sure I agree with that, but the plot has many original touches that lend to a truly emotional experience and an overall film that kept my attention throughout.

The film is definitely worth seeing and deserves its 7+ rating here on IMDb.

-----------------------------------------

"We don't discuss business at the table."

Deftly made if discomfiting film

Author: (oshram@aol.com) from Cleveland
13 March 2005

Written and directed by Jacob Aaron Estes, Mean Creek is a straightforward film about a few young men who decide to get back at the school bully George (Josh Peck) after he roughs up one of them, Sam (Rory Culkin). The movie is anything but simple, however, and Estes lays out the rest of the characters quickly but deftly. There's Marty (Mechlowitz), a disaffected teen and de facto leader of the small band; Rocky (Trevor Morgan) Sam's older brother trying to be as cool as Marty; Clyde (Ryan Kelley, who gave some terrific performances on Smallville), a quieter kid with two gay dads; and the group's only girl, Millie (Carly Shroeder), Sam's best friend and sympathizer. The plan is simple: they lure George on a boat trip and intend to strip him naked and make him return home that way. But it's hardly that easy.

Estes makes a skillful decision; George is neither wholly unlikable nor easily embraced. He's got his share of problems and insecurities, but he can also be a class A jerk. In swinging him back and forth between these two emotional states, Estes creates some, but not much, sympathy for George, and as soon as you start to like him, you start to dislike him again. And the effect works on most of the kids in the boat as well.

I won't spoil the main part of the plot (even though they do so in the trailer), but something happens and the kids have to make a terrible decision. This fills the second half of the movie, and here is where Estes and his young cast really shine. Mean Creek builds tension nicely through the piece – in some places it is done so well it is almost uncomfortable to watch – until it comes to the conclusion that sometimes there just are no easy answers and anything you do has its consequences. Mean Creek offers no solutions, no pat endings, and does not tie anything up (in fact it leaves so much open that it almost feels like it's missing something), but it brings the tale to its emotional conclusion, not its narrative one, which is in itself unusual.

Everyone who is caught on camera is excellent. Aside from a few minor characters at the beginning and end, the whole film is just these six kids, and they do a tremendous job, all of them, not a weak link in the bunch. Peck does a very strong job making George so antipathetic; but all of the other kids are equal to him in the performance department, even – or especially – when they are not behaving at their best.

Mean Creek isn't always an easy film to watch, and it's really one you appreciate more than you like. But it is a strong film, well-acted and well-told, and it was frankly a lot better executed than most of the dramas you see in wide release. Mean Creek doesn't pull its punches, and it is that very emotional honesty that makes it such a successfully discomfiting film to watch.

entertaining

Author: tstyles1 from United States
12 March 2005

Let's start by saying Rory Culkin had more hand in the decision-making than his older brother and his friends, as he had a sophisticated insight beyond his years. Let's finish by saying we won't be discussing the film at dinner. It was a good film. It's for indie lovers. If you're caught up in commercial films then don't bother. I like the relative toughness portrayed, as the teens were all big and bad with the little kids yet vulnerable when sharing a scene with one of the older characters. It added that other dimension (no, I'm not talking about the Twilight Zone) By the way, wouldn't that fat kid have floated?

amazing!

Author: doublea-alexander from United States
12 March 2005

This movie is absolutely amazing. I can't wait to see future movies from Jacob Estes as well as all of the actors.

The acting is this movie was incredible. The cast really deserved the Ensemble Award they won. I thought that Scott Mechlowicz did an especially good job.

The plot and dialogue are very believable. I'm about the age of the characters- probably younger- and i talk that way and believe that things like that could happen.

I read 'Lord of the Flies' shortly after this and there were many comparisons.

I would recommend this movie to anyone!

Don't be a bully, you never know when people are planning to make you run home naked.

Author: Casey Koss (elwaxxo) from Michigan, United States
1 March 2005

Mean Creek proved to be very enjoyable movie. The movie suffered through some downtime at point but overall was a quality movie. The story makes you feel pity for the victim and hate him back and forth throughout the film. I can see how many would feel this is due to poor directing, however, I feel that it is imperative to feel the same way the teenagers feel throughout their little time getting to know George.

I feel all of the actors portrayed their characters in a very believable way, and though I am not from such as place, I feel as if they are the type of people I would meet in a small county town. I feel the most developed character was George, played by Josh Peck. He did a fine job portraying the ostracized kid bully in school that actually turned out to have some redeeming qualities. His lack of social abilities and skills, however, turned out to be his downfall.

For those whom enjoy a different and original sort of film, I definitely suggest this one; somewhat of a coming of age story.