Gray Matters (2006) Poster

(I) (2006)

49 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Nauseous with the Munchkins
David Ferguson6 March 2007
Greetings again from the darkness. First time writer/director Sue Kramer certainly tackles an interesting and unique topic with her initial outing.

A quick synopsis: Brother (Tom Cavanaugh) and sister (Heather Graham) live together and are so close and spend so much time together that people naturally assume they are a couple (Ick!). Sister sets brother up with gorgeous, friendly, smart newcomer to the city (Bridget Moynahan) whom they meet at the dog park. Brother and newcomer immediately fall in love and set a wedding date for the next weekend. Sister and bride to be share a long, wet kiss before bride to be passes out drunk. This incident threatens to ruin brother - sister relationship while "outing" sister as the reluctant lesbian she is.

I rarely struggle over a rating or comments for a film. Normally the rating just hits me and the words flow. This one has me almost as confused as Heather Graham's character (Gray). I very much admire the soft-shoe approach that Kramer brings to this most delicate topic. No, I don't consider the theme "coming out" ... I consider the theme self-discovery of identity. Learning to accept one's self and not "pretend" to be what is expected. This topic is explored through some humorous moments, but in a strange way we actually go through the awakening with Ms. Graham.

The key actors all do a nice job. Graham and Cavanagh have a nice chemistry, Moynahan in lingerie is always a good call, Sissy Spacek as the world's worst therapist and Rachel Shelly in an extension from "The L Word" are all solid. Even Molly Shannon is finally cast in a role that suits her just fine. The best and most entertaining character is the Scottish cab driver played charmingly well by Alan Cumming. He is such a likable guy ... except for the whole gay bar scene.

What really prevents this one from reaching another level is strictly the number of unbelievable events. Two smart people zipping off to Vegas to get married after 6 days and having someone 30 years old first entertain thoughts of gaydom are just two large examples of stretches that ask the viewer for a bit too much latitude. Still, there are some funny moments, funny lines and a thought provoking identity theme that make it worthwhile.
26 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gray Matters at the Hampton's Film Festival
jackson091827 October 2006
I went to the Hampton's Film Festival in East Hampton this past weekend and saw a wonderful romantic comedy called Gray Matters. The film's overall look and message had a tone similar to one of my favorite directors, Nora Ephron. There was a delightful air of Harry Met Sally combined with You've Got Mail. The references throughout the movie to the 40's were superb. One of my favorite scenes was the opening shot where the two main characters Gray and Sam (brother and sister) ballroom dance to the tune of Cheek to Cheek, sung by actress Jane Krakowski. The footage of Manattan with Cheek to Cheek playing in the background had a feeling of a Woody Allen film. I thought the dialogue was not only funny but witty and timely. Molly Shannon delivers one of the funniest scenes in the movie referring to Oprah Winfrey and how she would surrogate a baby for Oprah and Steadman because she loves Oprah so much. It had the audience in hysterics. Heather Graham gives the performance of her career as a quirky, can't make up her mind, ad executive who struggles with her sexuality after meeting and falling in love with her brother's fiancée. Miss Graham was born to play to this role. At times she reminded me of a young Goldie Hawn. I stayed for the Q and A after the movie and was amazed to find out that the budget on this film was a 10th of what it appeared to be. If this was Sue Kramer's directorial debut, bravo, I look forward to seeing her next attempt at taking the helm. I would like to recommend this film for audiences of all ages. As I walked out of the theatre in East Hampton, I over heard an elderly woman around the age of 80 say " What a lovely film, I hope my granddaughters get a chance to see it".
42 out of 59 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A rather enjoyable romantic comedy
nitestar953 March 2008
I don't know why so many people seem to hate this movie; from the reviews, it seems they had no idea of what it was about before they watched it. As far as movies having to be 'believable', well, that isn't really what most cinema is about, now, is it. No one dances spontaneously like it's choreographed; spaceships don't travel past the speed of light; martial artists don't get to fight a whole crowd of opponents one at a time. So reality isn't what we're really after here, now is it? No. What we want is to go to a movie and feel good when we come out. And that's exactly what this film does, unless you can't stand the idea of a beautiful woman being gay and being happy. Which is what I suspect so many of the people who wrote the damning reviews feel. That said, well, I can't really comment on how good or bad the acting is; I can't really tell the difference between merely average or good acting, and great acting. But I can tell bad acting (think Chuck Norris in pretty much anything; nice guy, great martial artist, terrible actor), and this wasn't bad at all. In fact, I enjoyed every moment. I rate a movie on whether I will watch it again (I will), and how many times I want to hit the pause button to do something else, and I didn't stop the movie at all. Nine out of ten stars.
17 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
well-intentioned but implausible romantic comedy
Roland E. Zwick24 August 2007
While watching "Gray Matters" - which marks the film-making debut of writer/director Sue Kramer - I kept wondering if maybe I hadn't somehow stumbled back into "Puccini for Beginners," a movie I'd seen a few weeks earlier, since both are oddly similar, equally implausible tales of Manhattan yuppies involved in romantic triangles of the bisexual kind.

Gray and Sam are siblings who not only live in the same apartment and spend most of their free time together but are so emotionally attached to one another that people often mistake them for a romantic couple. As if that weren't queasy enough, the screenplay ups the ante by having the hitherto heterosexual Gray suddenly "discover" she's a lesbian when she falls for Sam's gorgeous new wife, Charlie (yes, I know all this can be a bit confusing, but Charlie is a woman).

As with "Puccini," most of what happens in "Gray Matters" feels contrived and artificial. We don't believe for a second that two seemingly rational people like Sam and Charlie would become engaged after only a single date, or that even an indecisive ditz like Gray would be this in-the-dark about her own sexuality.

Thus, with so little of the storyline grounded in anything even closely resembling reality, we find ourselves detached from the characters and indifferent to their fates. That's no denigration of the lead players - Heather Graham, Thomas Cavanaugh and Bridget Monahan - all of whom are appealing and likable in their various roles. And there are some sharp supporting performances by Molly Shannon, Alan Cumming, and Sissy Spacek as Gray's loopy therapist (though there is a brief cameo appearance by singer Gloria Gaynor that is pure unadulterated pandering). Moreover, New York City looks all sparkly and shiny as seen through the lens of cinematographer John S. Bartley's camera.

With its countless references to 40's musicals and romantic comedies, "Gray Matters" clearly sees itself as both an homage and a throwback to the metier and style of those earlier films. But we are obviously living in different times, and the labored setups and screwball comedy devices that worked so well in the past feel pretty darned anachronistic and forced when employed today. My feeling is that if you're going to make a modern romantic comedy, one that deals with such "contemporary" issues as coming out and sexual identity, then make a movie that actually feels modern. Don't try to tuck it safely away in the past, then expect us to take any of it seriously. Despite it's taking on those relatively gutsy issues, "Gray Matters" really doesn't exist in anyone's world, and certainly not in the racially and economically diverse world of 21st Century Manhattan.

"Gray Matters" presents us with life as only those in the movies ever really live it.
21 out of 30 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gray Matters rocks!
LisaFim24 February 2007
I just saw "Gray Matters" and found it to be not only funny but also heartwarming. It was refreshing to finally see a romantic comedy that had an original twist. I had no idea where it was going and was caught off guard in a very good way.

Heather Graham is funny, Tom Cavanaugh relishes in this role, and can you blame them both for falling in love with the sexy Bridget Moynahan? Sue Kramer really knows how to keep the movie rolling, to make if funny when it's supposed to be funny and also touching in just the right moments. She got such great performances out of her actors. I can't believe this is her first movie that was released.

I left the movie with a smile on my face- how many times can you say that?
15 out of 22 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A gem in the mud
siderite30 July 2007
Unfortunately, the film is the mud as well as the gem. Two perfect beauties, two usually miscast actors in roles that befit them, a rather original script... it all should have gone great. However, the overall directing of the movie is superficial, most of the support actors play badly and the script oscillates between very good and very bad.

The idea of the movie was nice, the overall setup, but the ending just blew and the hysterical explosions of badly acted emotion over badly written lines were like giants craters in the road to liking the film.

Bottom line: if you are looking for a romantic comedy, this at least has some brain and a definite direction away from stereotypes, even if it doesn't avoid them all. But the quality of it isn't great.
13 out of 19 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
felt like a long sitcom episode...
jemps9181 May 2007
Saw this with my brother, whom I hang out with often, too, so you can say that we could sort of relate with the movie (except the part where Gray is gay, though ;o))!

Gray (Heather Graham of The Guru, Boogie Nights) and Sam (Tom Cavanagh of Ed) are siblings who are so close that people think they are an item. They meet a beautiful zoologist Charlie (Bridget Moynahan) in a dog park and the three of them hit it off. Sam and Charlie's whirlwind romance gets them hitched, but matters get complicated when Gray and Charlie share a passionate kiss.

Graham still looks cute as a button despite being in her mid-thirties, but she looks like she's trying too hard in the acting department. It's as if she's trying to be a Cameron Diaz/Sandra Bullock but it's just not translating well on screen. But it is not all her fault; the editing could've been so much tighter, with the dialogue delivery less stilted.

While it is also unbelievable that thirtysomethings in this day and age still memorize the forties' dance routines of Fred and Ginger Astaire, it was nice to see the dance sequences of Gray and Sam, and of Gray and Charlie. Amazing how graceful the girls could be!

Alan Cumming as the Scottish cabbie was incredibly weird. I kept expecting him to turn into the X-Men's creepy Nightcrawler (was I the only one who thought this??). But he was funny dressed in drag, nonetheless.

All in all, this film felt like a long sitcom episode. Only Molly Shannon, ever the comic pro, who plays Gray's crazy officemate, delivered all the punchlines effortlessly and efficiently.
16 out of 25 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Moving Comedy/Drama
On the surface this may seem frivolous, a light, somewhat implausible comedy with affable characters. A girl lives with her brother. She finds herself attracted to his fiancé,and irony ensues. It is, in that respect, a bit formulaic. However, Graham gives a very moving, underrated performance here. I considered myself liberal enough. I favored civil unions, but that was all. I succumbed to the generalization that it was a reasonable compromise. But, I watched a girl crying in an elevator, relating to her brother that she couldn't be GAY because she could never have a normal life. She could never marry. It changed my mind. That is a performance worthy of note.
6 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Highly recommend
LMolho4 November 2006
I saw Gray Matters at the Hampton Film Festival and what a great choice I made. This movie is a must see. Molly Shannon is laughed out loud funny. Tom Cavanaugh and Heather Graham have amazing chemistry. Bridget Moynihan looks stunning. Alan Cumming and Sissy Spacek round out this unbelievable cast. I left this movie on such a high. Everyone who was walking out of the movie was saying how much they loved it from age 13 to an elderly couple and all ages in between. The scenes of Manhattan, music, dancing #'s, and most of all the acting and storyline were phenomenal. I was amazed to find out that this is a new director who also wrote the movie! I can't wait to see more of her work.
19 out of 34 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
"Gray Matters" is just that...
maloveci2 March 2007
First, the good: the cast is well-chosen for the most part. Heather Graham immerses herself as Gray, and you really like and feel for her character. You find yourself rooting for her. Tom Cavanagh is charming and funny as Gray's brother Sam, Bridget Moynahan is good as Charlie, the object of both Sam and Gray's affection, Alan Cumming is adorable (except in drag) as Gray's cabbie friend, Molly Shannon is a riot (but can also be taken as "annoying") as Gray's best friend and co-worker Carrie, but Sissy Spacek is just plain SpaCEY as Sydney, Gray's therapist. I think Heather Graham gets too much flack for playing oversexed (or as some of my friends have said, "white trash-like" roles), but as an actress, I've always thought that Graham was under-rated. Heather's great as a supporting actress, but in "Gray Matters," she proves that she can carry a film. Unfortunately, this was the wrong film for her to carry.

This review is hard; overall, I enjoyed the film. I know that some people may find it hard to believe that some gays and lesbians have absolutely no idea they are gay until later in life. I know this may be true for some, though, but I think the film seriously lacks in this department. Can Gray's drunken kiss with Sam REALLY be her first ever inkling that she may be gay? For me, it's just hard to believe. Oh, but then she imagines a girl at a hot dog stand walking in her bra--oh, there's yet ANOTHER inkling! Bingo! She MUST be gay! It's just too hard to believe, and too contrived. Had the film focused more on how exactly Gray came to this realization so late in life would have been great to see. But, the way it is, it's too rushed. I mean, what went off in her head after she kissed Charlie? That's what the script robs us of finding out.

I'm not saying that the kiss between Graham and Moynahan wasn't hot--it definitely was--but this film needed more than that. Also, how on earth could Charlie NOT remember kissing Gray, but remember singing on stage with Gloria Gaynor? I'm sorry, even if you're Condellezza Rice, you'd STILL remember kissing Heather Graham, no matter how many drinks you had sucked back! I'd think that for Charlie, kissing a girl for (assumingly) the first time would be remembered instead. The film also falls flat with revealing how exactly Gray came to fall in love with Charlie.

I think the film also should have concentrated more on Gray's ultimate relationship with Julia Bartlett (the L Word's British beauty Rachel Shelley). Was it just a one night stand, etc. And, was sleeping with Julia(another thing that was omitted to stay PG-13) the final confirmation Gray needed that she is indeed gay.

As I said, I'm on the fence. I loved Gray's quirkiness, and Heather is absolutely beautiful throughout the film, but for me, I felt robbed by many aspects of the film. It could have been SO much more than it was.
9 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Quite like "Imagine Me & You", only it's more like "Imagine Me".
philyre19 October 2006
I saw this film last night at the Seattle Lesbian and Gay Film Festival, where it was the Secret Screening, and I really enjoyed it.

"Gray Matters" managed to strike a good balance between being sweet and simultaneously funny. Although the frantic pacing requires some suspension of disbelief as the characters hurl through various scenarios at an unrealistic speed, it effectively conveys the disorientation that Gray is going through as she struggles to keep up with events. I think this film overall does a great job of showing the complete arc of a coming out compressed over a very short period of time.

There are lots of superficial parallels to be drawn with "Imagine Me & You", now out on DVD, but in "Gray Matters" the focus is not on a relationship between two characters, but instead more firmly on the titular protagonist and her struggle to work out her sexuality. For example, initial love interest Charlie isn't really fleshed out much in terms of her character depth - she's mostly just a very pretty plot device. I'd describe this film not so much as a romantic comedy, but rather a comedic chick-flick on the topic of coming out.

Coming to terms with identity takes definite precedence over romance as the point of the film: watching with that in mind will avoid disappointment with the ending, which was a bit cut-short and abrupt by any standard.

Although the members of the love triangle (Gray, her brother and her brother's wife) are well-cast and do a terrific job portraying all sides of the scenario sympathetically, I think the supporting cast really *makes* this movie. Molly Shannon is hilarious throughout: the theater erupted in laughter whenever she so much as showed up on screen. Alan Cumming's part is both extremely adorable and superlatively entertaining, and it became quickly apparent that if Gray doesn't fall for his character, she must be resolutely gay indeed. Sissy Spacek is put to very good use as the inept therapist, and one only wishes we could see more weekly sessions with her. Rachael Shelley reprises a role very similar to her Helena on the L-word, and it's a role she's absolutely perfect in.

Overall, I'd recommend the quite-similar "Imagine Me & You" to anyone who is waiting for "Gray Matters" to hit theaters. Ultimately, I think "Imagine Me & You" is might be a bit funnier and more emotionally involving, but "Gray Matters" is definitely worth seeing. It's neither ground-breaking cinema or a great love story, but it is a fulfilling, truly entertaining movie with a good message that admirably avoids being heavy-handed or preachy about delivery.
8 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
When all is said and done, it's nothing but a cute romantic comedy
gabi15 December 2007
Sure, there are a lot of things in "Gray Matters" that don't make sense. Some of the casting is slightly off, sometimes the characters slip into dialogue that seems to be cribbed from an after school special, sometimes the characters conveniently forget things just for the sake of moving the plot along. However, despite the obvious missteps, "Gray Matters", in the end, remains watchable and entertaining.

The film begins the way a lot of romantic comedies begin - with dancing. Sam and Gray waltz around a New York City loft, easily imitating scenes from their shared love of 1940's musicals. They seem the perfect couple - if only they weren't related... and therein lies the, yes, I'll admit - thin and silly premise upon which the film is based. You see, Sam and Gray are best friends and siblings. They grew up together, they live together, they speak in dialogue reminiscent of screwball comedies (or Lorelai and Rory from "Gilmore Girls", if that's the reference you prefer). Enter Bridget Moynahan as Charlie, the love interest they are about to share, to shake up their entire relationship and Gray's entire world. A wacky love triangle ensues, as do many, many romantic comedy clichés, made all the more clear by Molly Shannon as Gray's kooky best friend.

Misunderstandings and secrets abound as Gray starts to figure out who she really is, Charlie doesn't have a clue about anything, and Sam grows increasingly nervous. Despite all the silliness and illogical plot transitions, though, "Gray Matters" is, at its heart, a sweet, positive coming out movie. If you can suspend disbelief long enough to believe Heather Graham as a woman questioning her sexuality, it's easy to relate to her realization and subsequent meltdown, and the film takes just the right tone. The film has just enough exuberance to help you get over the illogical ending, too.

Granted, "Kissing Jessica Stein" does what this film attempts to do so much better, but nonetheless, "Gray Matters" is entertaining and fun.
6 out of 9 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A sweet romantic comedy about a woman who realizes how much she matters.
Roamers6326 February 2007
I have seen Gray Matters three times and have discovered something new each time I've seen it. Without sounding like a complete idiot, I laughed and cried every time I saw it. It is a charming, heartfelt, and truly lovely romantic comedy. Sue Kramer has created characters that you want to be friends with and a story that touches your heart. I've never enjoyed Heather Graham more and Tom Cavanaugh is delicious. Every time Molly Shannon is on screen you can't stop smiling and I want to be best friends with Alan Cumming. More than having a great time, you leave this movie feeling that you should be true to yourself and honor who you are. This movie is like a glass of champagne.
14 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
See it now. See it again. And again.
svanbrodt6 November 2006
Gray Matters is a film that grabs hold of the audience in a most surprising way filling the viewers hearts with hope and tenderness; while simultaneously remarking on current social issues including media, image, sexuality and identity. It speaks in a voice holding a depth of truth not often captured in mainstream films without preaching or proselytizing. This important piece of work will reach a large audience without compromising it's important message. Sue Kramer has achieved the difficult task of reaching broad and wide, while maintaining creative integrity.

Heather Graham will delight the audience with her surprisingly complex hold of the character, Gray. Tom Cavanagh is at his best -- funny, tender, sweet -- just plain yummy. Bridget Moynahan is absolutely delicious, who wouldn't fall in love with her? Molly Shannon leaves the audience in stitches. Her comic timing and delivery make the laughs unstoppable. The entire cast rounds out the story of the bonds of love, family and finding one's self. The film is steamy HOT HOT HOT and at the same time is quirky, funny, endearing and important, appealing to audiences of all ages, genders and orientation. Loved it! Just loved it.

I expect Gray Matters to explode in theatres nationwide, leaving this director, writer, producer in the stratosphere of great female counterparts like Nora Ephron and Penny Marshall. Bravo. Bravo.
14 out of 27 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Kramer Knows a Great Kiss When She Sees One
erin-golden-14 January 2007
Contains best on-screen kiss I've ever seen! Hope this is Kramer's first of many movies - and lip on lip scenes! This movie captures the essence of brother-sister love without turning it into a cheap cliché. Oh, did I just use a cliché? Well, Sue doesn't. She's written enough movies to know better. GM is engaging and keeps us watching and wondering what's going to happen to our favorite characters next. Sissy Spacek as the shrink - perfectly cast. Molly Shannon is finally in the right role - it was made for her. Heather Graham and Bridget are not only fun to watch - they're believable in their parts. The boys (Alan & Tom) are great too - overall a wonderful ensemble cast that delivers more than many expected - except for Sue of course.
11 out of 21 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very dull and lacking real wit.
eisschrank11 June 2007
I had to walk out on this film fifteen minutes from the end... having passed through the cringe stage and into pure boredom. What really horrifies me, I mean truly disturbs me, is that there are people referring to this aimless drivel as 'delightful' or a 'must see.' I would feel deep pity for those so afflicted were it not for the distinct impression that most of the positive comments about this shallow and humourless travesty were written by industry plants.

The truth is this is a lame film that does nothing to entertain nor enlighten. It is decidedly unfunny, poorly scripted and has all the pace and energy of cold, canned rice pudding. To be kind to Ms Kramer, the best one can say is it was a missed opportunity, for having read the synopsis before I watched it, I had expected something more challenging. The possible misinterpretations of a close brother and sister co-dependence, the unexpected awakening of 'sisterly' sexuality, and the comic potential in such sibling rivalry (for the affections of the same girl) were all obvious subjects for refreshing comedic exploration, yet which at every turn the movie frustratingly shies away from.

Instead, the audience is subjected to a meandering series of uninspired and insipidly drawn situations, with clichéd characterisations and dull performances from a cast struggling for belief and obviously in need of much tighter direction. The lack of directorial control seems astounding; on the one hand, Moynahan, Cavanagh and Spacek all give very pedestrian performances, while Heather Graham and Molly Shannon - the latter in particular - veer towards embarrassing over-compensation at times. One could lay the blame for this on the director - maybe Sue Kramer hopes that if her actors over-act, they will force a bigger laugh from the audience. But then again, the cast is a veteran one; one would expect them to do better.

Sue Kramer really needs to think carefully what kind of movies she wants to make, and for whom. Given the possible issues Gray Matters alludes to, and given her inability or unwillingness to fully explore them in the context of a comedy, perhaps she should consider writing dramas instead. I know it is never easy to make films about women and women's issues, especially when one hopes to reach a wider audience than women alone, but whatever direction she takes, inconsequential and flimsy characters like Gray are not going to cut mustard.
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Absolutely Loved It!!
grlluvsani-15 November 2006
This is now officially my favorite movie!! Saw the movie last night at the International Film Festival in Fort Lauderdale, FL. Incredibly entertaining, funny, brilliant, absolutely enjoyable! Cannot wait to bring my friends and family to see it in the theater! The main character Gray was totally relatable and adorable, Heather Graham's best performance yet. Props to the writer and director for making such a brilliant film that made me laugh, and hope, and cry. Every scene had me completely enthralled and entertained. It was a total joyride with an absolutely unbelievable cast - Molly Shannon made everyone laugh the moment she came on screen, without even saying a word. Bridget Moynihan, who played Charlie, is so beautiful. Alan Cumming is so lovable. Sissy Spacek is just so good. A must-see film for everyone!!
12 out of 24 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Loved This Movie!
joanmmax28 November 2006
I saw Sue Kramer's "Gray Matters" and the Hampton's Film Festival and was totally charmed by it. The opening credits has Heather Graham and Tom Cavanagh dancing together in a beautiful Downtown loft. With this, Ms. Kramer sets the expectations for the rest of the film very high. And she delivers. Every joke is well executed, and plot twist well earned. The script is part screwball comedy, part movie musical and part door farce. And the cast was pitch perfect. There's a scene toward the end that had everyone in my row crying. NYC plays a role in the movie and is shot with loving care. Is it corny to admit I was on the edge of my seat rooting for every character? Or that I left the theater with a big grin on my face?
9 out of 18 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
absolutely dreadful - if you're a smart person you'll hate this movie
chunk19781 June 2007
Heather Graham couldn't play a convincing lesbian if her life depended on it. Who do the producers of the movie think they are? the ABSOLUTE WORST, most UNREALISTIC movie i've seen in as long as i can remember. This movie is so bad that i felt compelled to sign-up on IMDb and make sure the rating of this "film" drops.

omg i'm Heather Graham, i just kissed a drunk chick, so while she's passed out i'm REALLY going to pace around my room for HOURS asking myself frantically "WHAT HAVE I DONE?!".. Jesus heather, get over it and grow up... and i'd like to forward that same sentiment to the idiot producers... and while i'm at it, instead of this movie being all about an pathetic excuse for a coming out story, perhaps it would have been more suitable to focus the plot onto a character who's mentally unstable... like your so-called "lesbian" character... after all, i know the first time i had gay sex, when i left the next morning i jumped to the sky in excitement in the middle of the street... honestly b*tch, get a grip...

WHAT A JOKE! and please note there are many many many more flaws and appallingly stupid aspects to this lame flick, but i'm so sick of even thinking about it anymore. bottom line, if you're a smart person you'll hate this movie, and if you're not a smart person, then you'll love it... it's as simple as that.
8 out of 16 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Gray Matters is delightful new movie
Helen4kidz24 February 2007
Gray Matters is one of the best new movies out there. It's such a pleasure to watch a movie that isn't violent or degrading to women. Go see this light romantic comedy written and directed by one of Hollywoods newest woman directors Sue Kramer. Heather Graham is adorable and Tom Cavanaugh is so sweet, and MOlly Shannon just steal the show whenever she is in a scene you will laugh your head off. I really enjoyed it and people were laughing so much in the theater.

I loved the fashion in the movie. The women were dressed so beautifully and I thought the apartment that Gray and her brother live in was so realistic. I also loved the use of 1940's music and dance. We need more movies like this made.. Thanks Sue Kramer...
7 out of 14 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Comedy Without Laughs
pagrn1-118 July 2007
If there has ever been a worse comedy than 'Gray Matters' I am unaware of it. The New York Jewish comedy's 'funny' premise is that siblings Sam & Gray are mistaken for a couple and so decide to fix Sam up with a girlfriend, only to find that Gray is equally attracted to their target - Charlie. The revelation that Gray is secretly gay is apparently only a surprise to her. There is a deeply offensive wedding sequence, a deeply embarrassing 'drunk act' from Moynahan and Graham, and a performance that would embarrass forests everywhere for its woodenness from Tom Cavanagh. Sissy Spacek demonstrates a complete inability to do comedy and will want this excised from her resume. Molly Shannon plays the homely friend with lumpen insouciance. Only Alan Cumming emerges with any credit but is seriously under-employed and given nothing with which to work. The whole disaster is cemented by Graham's bizarre eye-rolling performance culminating with the penultimate scene where she wears a comedy hat and an overcoat despite the scene being set in a lesbian bar. It is astonishing that this film was ever released it has no redeeming feature and should be avoided at all costs.
8 out of 17 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Weak performance ruined possibilities
shayoh3013 June 2007
It was obvious that this movie is designed to appeal to the Chick Flick audience, to which i have sat through quite a few and enjoyed most. However, this was a very irritating attempt by Heather Graham to become the next Meg Ryan ( who became annoying as hell in her own right ). Her acting was overdone and it appeared that she was overanxious compared to her colleagues who were relaxed in their roles. This film might have been more, as there was suitable budget for settings, actors and a decent story line. My wife and I both agreed that this was 'Muck' at the end, as the film ended on a painful embarrassing high! Better luck next time, hope Miss Graham sticks to the type of films that she belongs in like From Hell.
7 out of 15 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Save your queue
wondernat21 June 2007
I watched this movie yesterday and was highly disappointed.

Heather Graham and Tom Cavanaugh basically had to carry this awkwardly unbelievable script for five hours (or however long it actually was). From the beginning, every single element of this movie is unbelievable. This movie made me chuckle several times, but they were mainly out of shock that the director/writer actually expected us to believe the many messy scattered elements that attempted to piece this movie together.

The movie's focus is Gray (Graham) and her issues with intimacy. Things get interesting when she realizes that she and her brother have unexpectedly WAY too much in common.

Interesting, intriguing. However, instead of unraveling this story into something believable and palatable, the director keeps taking Gray into these ludicrous twists that never actually make any sense at all. Being an LGBT individual, this movie seemed to echo what all heterosexuals think we go through in the coming-out process. (I'll be insulted if the writer's queer.) Had it not been for the cute chemistry between Cavanaugh and Graham (which, by the way, was understandably forced), I would give it a negative 3 stars.
6 out of 13 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Mildly entertaining
acorn7429 December 2008
I wish I'd known more about this movie when I rented it. I'd put it in my queue on the basis of Heather Graham and her strong cred as an actress (IMHO). While parts of the movie were charming, much of the movie felt contrived, undeveloped, or otherwise just boring or predictable. Not to mention the ICK factor of so many people thinking the sibs were a couple... I don't care how big a part of the story line that is, it still felt a bit, um, gross. And Charlie, for a zoologist, she certainly doesn't seem to be very attuned to signals from other Homo sapiens. What was it about her (besides her hotness and some common interests) that made Gray fall for her? The story could have been so much more interesting with a little more depth. High points - Molly Shannon (although I do agree with the reviewer who found her annoying on occasion), the cabbie in drag, and the dance sequences (if Sam & Gray were such great dancers, I wish we'd seen more of that, as the bits we were shown were indeed better than most of the rest of the movie). Could have been better.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
A Screwball Coming Out Movie
Brent Trafton5 July 2007
"Grey Matters" is a 40's style "coming out" movie. Heather Graham channels Cary Grant and is adorable doing it. The movie isn't very believable, but that is part of the humor. The dialog is quick, so you have to listen carefully or you will miss the jokes.

Although I gave this movie a perfect "10," it is conditional. Take off two points if you do not absolutely love Heather Graham. Take off two points if you do not like 40's screwball comedies. Take off two more points if you think that Heather Graham being gay is offensive rather than hilarious.

"Grey Matters" is my second favorite Heather Graham movie behind "The Spy Who Shagged Me." This is a "must see" for all her fans.
4 out of 8 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this