IMDb > Black (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Black

Black More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 18: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

don't miss it otherwise u will loose something

Author: coolchamp_19 from India
13 March 2005

Black.....wow,wow,wow.. don't go with the name .superb performance by both Amitabh Bachan and Rani and not 2 forget the role of the small girl(i don't remember the name) who played the childhood part of Rani..great acting from a girl. the movie's theme is different from the usual crap like a love triangle or guy falling in love with a girl etc... the story consists of a girl who is deaf,dumb and blind...she cant mingle with the children of her age group...an angel comes in form of Amitabh Bachan who is a teacher in a local school and takes up the task of teaching Rani how to read.how to visualize things.... a must see movie...stands out tall among other movies

like it for a Oscar

Author: agarwaladitya from India
13 March 2005

black is a superb movie by sanjay leela bhansali , and hope this time not only a Indian MOVIE would be nominated for an Oscar award but also getting it home and we would be able to show the world that bollywood is not only about dancing around trees but can make a superb lot for the world to see and admire. it will also be a RAY OF HOPE for our upcoming generations. this ray of hope which is earlier enlightened by Satyajit Ray and other film makers is definitely going to be turning not only in a desire but will also help in developing an attitude among Indian film makers. like the one ashutosh and aamir made after LAGGAN. hope and eager to see a lot of good work in future. all the best

Best Actor for 2005 Amitabh

Author: PRATIK PATEL from United States
13 March 2005

Black, the best movie ever made in bollywood ? Yes! The god of Indian cinema Amitabh bachchan surpasses all his previous performances. If he was considered the best actor of India before Black then after black he should be consider God for Indian cinema. Rani was equally good, playing her character was the most challenging role she has ever played, but she played it with her heart which shows on the screen. The mastermind behind Amitabh and Rani is Sanjay, who portrayed Indian cinema in a highly sophisticated manner, so world can actually have some respect for bollywood. In 2006 I would be disappointed if Amitabh and rani don't get best actor and best actress awards at Filmfare.

One of the Best movies of my time

Author: navoditbabel from India
13 March 2005

It is one movie which has been a commercial success in spite of being in genre of an art movie. The emotions depicted in the movie of a relationship between a teacher and his student sets the movie above all others. The complete struggle of a blind and deaf girl who has know knowledge of why she is in this world/ about herself to the point where she graduates is remarkably depicted and sentiments clearly expressed. And to top the flavor Amitabh Bacchan's acting has been the best of his whole film career. I think it is a great inspiration for the blind and deaf people and gives their parents and well wishers a new hope. If only such great teachers are there !!!!

It is a movie which everybody must watch.

A change for the Indian viewer and this change is must ...

Author: abhishek65 from India
12 March 2005

Black is a treat for the eyes of the viewer with a good movie taste. It takes India on real world stage with Bhansali really having the perception of taking Bollywood to different stage. The legendary Bachchan , Rani mukerjee really helped with their strong performances for Bhasali's cause. Its really good to see such type of movie among the cluster of love stories, cheap family dramas and other mithun da typo crap. Bhansali's sincere effort with this movie is definitely going to leave a permanent good mark for the Indian movie industry in the future. Other Indian directors and producers must start to burgeon bollywood from this point. I take my hats off to U Mr. Bhansali for such a mind blowing treat to my eye. I really looked at Bollywood as some crap before this movie with just few movies in recent years like lagaan and few others leaving a mark inside me.

Black is the best movie made ever with best performance ever

Author: Rohit Rohit from India
11 March 2005

Any word will fall short to appreciate this movie. An amazing synchrony of superlatives of all department was seen in this movie all competing with each other. After coming out of the cinema hall, I was stunned, and got one conclusion why peoples love and worship Amitabh Bachchan. I would simply say that...' " IF MOVIE IS THE WORLD, AMITABH BACHCHAN IS IT'S GOD". I salute the Black team for giving the world one of the best movies! The best scenes are Amitabh's interactions with the kid. Water Mumma Teacher's scenes. Graduation speech, Alzheimer's second attack and the last scene where Scheizophrenic Amitabh recognized the Black robe of Graduation. I have never seen such a performance in my life what Mr. Amitabh Bachchan has done as Debraj Sahay. The world need to to learn from this old man, who surprises you at every stage of his life! My goodness. A must watch to every one.

Just Plain Bad

Author: Alpie from United Kingdom
10 April 2005

Once again a Sanjay Leela Bhansali film has just shown everyone what is wrong with Bollywood, how mediocre and pretentious films can be over glorified by critics, just because it has been made by a "great" director. Black is just another take another take on the ever-green classic Koshish which was made by a truly great director Gulzar. SLB first film Khamoshi was his first attempt at trying to emulate Koshish, he failed that time and frankly he has failed on his second attempt, but I take it from this film, he will continue to attempt to the original until he finally succeeds. Once again SLB has used fanciful camera-work and lavish art direction to cover the gaping holes in his film, something which he has been doing since his first film. I have read many reviews praising Amitabh Bachchan's performance in this film, but I akin his performance to Kiron Kher's performance in Devdas, something which is truly horrific. Rani Mukerjee acted very well, amongst the present crop of actors in Hindi speaking films, her performance is one of the best, but when you widen the scope to all time, she would be way down the list. But lets just compare her acting to that of Seema Biswas or Jaya Bhaduri and you do find her lacking. As for the other faults in the film, once again overly melodramatic, with a background score which keeps pushing the ambiance in to melodrama. Monty's background score once again weak. Though I do admit that apart from A.R Rahman and Maestro Illayraja, there isn't anyone who can do justice to a film with a quality background score. One of the biggest problem with Black, is that it doesn't engage the audience, you don't care about Michelle's struggle and nor are we made to care, until perhaps the last scene where once again the scene is over melodramatic, and has strong shades of Nana Patekar's speech in Khamoshi, which was much better.

Is this the best of Bollywood? I sincerely hope not, these are the kind of films which have caused me to turn my back on Hindi films and look at other films, ranging from Tamil to Japanese. All I can say is that Bollywood lags far far behind

An Honest Opinion of Black

Author: nirjhar from India
8 February 2005

Hi all,

Just watched Black.

The best memory of the movie? That would have to be the interactions between Ayesha Kapoor and Amitabh Bachchan in the first half of the movie.

The First half of the movie is nearly flawless. The reason I see nearly is because of one jarring note in that first half. That was the introduction scene of Amitabh when the principal of the school tells him to go and teach Michelle. I think Amitabh went a little over the top in that introductory scene of his.

But, after that scene he was brilliant. :)

I had gone in to see the movie expecting mind-blowing performances from Amitabh and Rani. I was not expecting this gem of a performance from this child actress - Ayesha Kapoor! She was simply amazing.

There is a lot of English dialogue in the movie. I don't think it hampers the movie.

The problems start after the interval. The movie slows down considerably. It does start to drag a bit.

The biggest problem is that kiss. I didn't understand why Debhraj went away? That was an uncomfortable moment.

Having said that, I just loved Amitabh's performance. His helplessness as he realized that he was unable to remember things, the look when he realized that he had left Michelle stranded in the street.

The helplessness that he conveys through his eyes was just awesome. When the Principal calls him to give him the braille books for Michelle, notice the look in his eyes as he sits. The apprehension in his eyes. He really makes you believe that Debhraj is slowly but surely descending into a downward spiral and that age is catching up with him.

Maybe I am not describing this scene as it should be described as, But, that scene was brilliant.

I think I loved Amitabh's performance the most when He was underplaying his character. Amitabh is best when he is acting with his eyes. The way he expresses himself through his eyes is just awesome.

I think it was a wise move on Sanjay Bhansali's part that he decided to keep the length of the movie to two hours. The reason I say this is because the movie can be depressing and serious at times. I don't think audiences would have been able to sit through a three hour movie on this kind of subject.

Also, I did not understand this whole Anglo-Indian setting. It felt like the story was occurring in England instead of India. This whole 'Mr. Sahai, Mr. A, Mr. B' was just too British. All the characters were speaking such flawless English with a non-Indian accent. When Rani said the word 'Maestro' when describing her teacher, that was a little too much too take. I am not sure Indians use words like 'Maestro'. It felt a little fake.

I wished that the movie would have been handled in a better way in the second half. That whole bit about Debhraj leaving Michelle after that kiss was a little weird. I did not understand the logic behind that.

But, I loved that last sequence where Debhraj does a little dance when he sees Michelle in the dark robes.

The movie comes a full circle. The student becomes the teacher. It ends on a positive note.

In conclusion, I don't think this movie will be a commercial success. But, it is a sincere and heartfelt effort from the whole cast and crew of Black. It has some incredibly touching moments.

Amitabh and Ayesha Kapoor's performances will be remembered for years... This is easily Amitabh's best performance since Aakhri Raasta.

I think I am going to see this movie one more time. I want to watch that first half of the movie once again. :)

Allie Keys: The world is made up of the big things that happen and the small ones. And the part that's so unfair is that we call them big and small, because when something happens to you, when you lose something or someone that you really care about, that's all there is. The world may be blowing up around you, but you don't care about that. You don't care about that at all.

Beautiful - like a full moon with blemishes!

Author: aacfilmslondon from United Kingdom
7 February 2005

Devdas tells Paro "Even the beautiful moon is not as vain as u!" to which she replies "The moon doesn't compare to my beauty- after all, even the moon is blemished". BLACK is Bhansali's vain moon. Beautiful in spite of blemishes, yet proud, as it brings out hidden emotions, softer ones, like the moon might do on some particular nights.

I haven't cried anywhere in ages, let alone in a movie- but today during Black I found this sudden rush of tears that just didn't stop. Just as young, deaf,dumb and blind Michelle(Ayesha Kapoor) discovers the logic behind words and their meanings, which Debraj(Amitabh) desperately had been trying to convey to her(The most memorable scene of the film)- I discovered the logic behind my sudden rush of tears. It was Sanjay Leela Bhansali's artwork on display on the celluloid- totally moving!! Powerful!! A bit overdone- and yet having such perfect impact. Bhansali is an artist, with an excellent aesthetic sense and each of his film is an insight into his tastes. But Black surpasses all his previous films where art overpowered emotion.

In Black - the Drama and the Production/Art design - support each other like never before. Every emotion and character in the world of Black has true life parallels, yet the setting is so beautiful and perfect that it becomes an escapist's world, in full Bollywood tradition. The lighting is immaculate, the sets have exactly what is needed to complete the context, the world, very much Kubrickian - photographing staged live action according to classical principles of fine arts and photography.

The Acting is extremely expressive and powerful, though totally theatrical- which is exaggerated by the fact that hand motions of the characters become words for communication. How I wish the director was more brave and had explored the physical relationship between Michelle and Debraj a bit more. The kiss was so timid that the only thing it satisfied was Bollywood Taboo. But nevertheless, this scene was one of the best in the film.

The makeup department let me down in the end though as when Michelle turned 40 on her graduation, her parents did not seem much older- and the staff of the university had no change in his looks let alone the fact that he hadn't retired in all those years.

All the effort had probably been put into Debraj's makeup which was definitely good work. Definitely a film for everyone from every country to see at least once. Sincerely I don't think Sanjay can do better- but I love surprises.

Black:-where actors excel

Author: techno_funky from India
5 February 2005

fantastic,amazing,spectacular,mind blowing are the words came to my mind when i came out of the movie hall today by far rani and amitabh excel simply 10/10 for acting amitabh is as usual the BEST rani plays from the heart the small girl(ayesha kapur) who plays the childhood part of rani is another JEM and shes so cute the film's camera work,sets are so authentic and have that international feel keeps you hooked on some scenes are exceptionally carried out which hit your heart,making you feel through your eyes another fine movie form the sanjay stable well over your moneys worth a very good movie suggested to all this one is in my DVD library