IMDb > Black (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Black

Black More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 18: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

A good example of the craft of film-making, not art.

Author: epsilon_us from United States
6 November 2005

What does BLACK need to really deserve the attention it got?

1. A child actress not inspired by "The Exorcist" 2. Amitabh in restraints 3. An original story, without the obligatory melodrama 4. A sensible director 5. Much, much less gloss, more realistic cinematography 6. More accurate depiction of medical/ psychiatric conditions (I'm not referring to the manic teacher character)

So, is BLACK any good? It is. The dark tones, lights and shadows help tremendously to set the color and brightness settings on your new plasma TV. You could do it in 15min max; don't have to waste 2 hours of your life watching this movie. And Ms Mukherjee/ Mr Bhansali, did Helen Keller have a waddling gait?

Black- Worst Movie I've Ever Seen!

Author: customerservice-9 from California, US
5 May 2005

Are these comments about the "movie" Black meant as a joke? I am not sure. I walked out of the theater after half of the movie because it was painfully awful. Was the movie filmed as a joke? It looks like no one who made it, including any of the actors, took it seriously. All of the performances were melodramatic, campy, and completely unrealistic. I do not mean any disrespect. What was with that John Wayne swagger of the main "doctor" character? Why are terrible movies like this the only "Indian" movies I can see in my area? It seems like someone is trying to make Indian people look like fools. This was the worst "film" I have ever seen, along with 'Daredevil'.

Black---- A color of ambition

Author: harishpokharel from Nepal
12 February 2005

oh... the wonderful movie ever seen in Hindi. It has changed the tradition of the Indian cinema once again. Mr. Debraj what a wonderful character, thought it is a real, who wants to bring light in the darkness. A great magician. Michelle, what a realistic character. Acted like the character is really present. The love, emotions are heart touching. The theme of the story was great. Miss Nair a repeated word character though not a strong character signifies a great in the film. The feelings of debraj about himself in the film is spoken through the letters written by him to miss Nair.

The character roles of the father and mother. The loving father, The jealousy among sisters, the heart of a mother... owe what a character. Though the movie may be a copy of a Hollywood movie but the work of the characters are cherishing.

The movie must be seen. You haven't watched the movie..... U have missed a lot.

Black

Author: Karan Rai (therealkingkazza@hotmail.com) from United Kingdom
4 March 2005

OK I seen this film a couple of days ago and I reckon this is the biggest movie that has hit the big screen yet. I love my films and I am a proper film critic. I am usually fidgety about films because I do watch many films, but mostly English films but I do watch Indian films now en then and most of the films I watch all involve LOVE business and have similar story lines. But watching this film the other day I was actually shocked in what the Bollywood industry have turned into. This film was a fanatical and brilliant film that for once it was exploring ways on the more of the Hollywood side. this film did not have typical Indian songs at all and to me that was shocking and the films production didn't look cheap, because usually Bollywood films do spend huge amount of money according to big stars and most films have low budget which then they just think of ending the film any how. I was also amazed with Amitabh acting and also Rani's. Amitabh has been my ultimate best actor since I was little and have been watching all his films, and watching him in this film both his and Rani acting they have made up an excellent team and I couldn't see anyone else who could have done these roles any better.

not black and white

Author: Sachin Dole from United States
20 December 2005

While the concept is amazing, the story and is touching the movie, on the whole is a botched up attempt at best. I am not sure whether this was supposed to be an artsy movie portraying good drama or an attempt at releasing an artsy drama to the mainstream. While Amitabh and Rani Mukherjee are otherwise good actors, their acting was a total misfit for the characters in this movie. Rani Mukherjee did not seem disabled at all. She had too much expression in her eyes, her physical movements were too much unlike the way blind people move. All in all totally implausible acting. Amitabh was too much Amitabh. He did very well in general, however, somewhere, his Amitabh-ness seemed unfit for the character. Michelle's (Rani) parents over acted. Bhansali could have made better use of the 3 hours he had to portray more variety of troubles and more variety of sadness in a disabled person's life than focus on amitabh and Rani. That would have brought out the characters better.

Worthy effort, lacks credibility

Author: asnatu from Colorado Springs, CO
18 April 2005

First the kudos - Excellent effort in an area of film-making no Indian producer/director had gone so far. Ayesha has acted as if she was under a spell. Great work by her and the director. Plot does not insinuate pity towards the disabled, rather depicts the struggle of trying to make sense of what's lacking in that person's life.

Now the brickbats - Too much mellow-drama. Both main actors have over-acted at times. The background music score is very loud and borders on jarring. Another person I was watching the movie with commented that the music was fit for a Ramsay Brothers movie...heh The dialogues are delivered with too much passion and that makes it a little unbelievable. A person that lives with a frame-of-mind so high-strung as Mr. Sahay is apt to 'lose-it' in a few years, rather than live to the ripe old age as shown. The plot has *so many* similarities with Helen Keller's *real* life story, it would have been dignified for the producers to acknowledge as much. The anglicized names and atmosphere do not gel with the Indian surroundings and add confusion regarding the time-line in which the movie is set.

And finally, were the extra-large shoes and the Donald-Duck walk really necessary for Rani?

All in all, a commendable effort, warts and all.

Flawless!

Author: AishFan from San Jose, CA, US
5 June 2005

Once in a blue moon does one get to see such an outstanding film! This film is perfect in every aspect. Amitabh Bachchan performed with intense passion. You could see the sparkle of hope in his eyes, his frustration of seeing a blind-deaf girl struggle, and his humiliation/guilt of kissing his student. Rani acts beautifully also. Her role is so demanding that it is extremely easy to overact or underplay, but all her performances are full of conviction. The story is intense with strong emotions that completely take control of you. You can't help but cry like a baby when watching this film. The story has been carried out so sensitively. Cinematography, lighting, etc. are top-notch and emphasize the mood of the film. Genuine performances, heartwarming story, and tear-jerking scenes make this brilliantly directed and executed film a must-see!

Viola!

Author: Basit Khan from Pakistan
3 June 2005

A splendid movie. A master piece by Sanjay Leela Bhansali. Nothing could be better then this one. Everything is simply PERFECT. In my opinion, Amitabh Bachan and Rani Mukharjee can't do better then this.

Set designing is wonderful. The starting scene of the movie is just like the vision of a dream. I think one the few Bollywood movies who are without songs but still the title track of the movie is outstanding. Coustume Designing is superb. Young Ayesha Kapoor's acting is excellent.

The magic by the hands of Debraj Sahai will keep the watchers in an in-counter-able spell for very long time... In shorts, this movie is Viola!

Black should be nominated for Oscars next year

Author: astrich from United States
9 May 2005

A history making Indian movie. It's classy tale of two characters handicapped physically and mentally in their lives struggling to fight it and trying to come out victorious. It stars India's undisputed mega-super star for more than 3 decades, Amitabh Bachchan and relatively new actress Rani Mukherji. One of the best directors of Indian cinema so far, Sanjay Leela Bhansali creates wonders with his so skillful and minutely detailed work of direction and story-telling. A must watch for any person who enjoys artistic side of movie making. And therefore, it should be nominated as best foreign film in Oscars for this year.

Akshay Dave, NJ

great movie, naysayers read on

Author: dpvtank from Canada
2 April 2005

First of all, this was an amazing film. It was a great story and all that, but there is plenty of that. What I really want to talk about is how this movie, since it is after all not based on Helen Kellers life (atleast legally not), but still it offends people. OK, am I missing something here? Who the heck really cares if it was a rip of x and y movie, and loosely based of x or y character. Quite simply, who the heck cares? I'm sorry, but I guess people are over-sensitive about this. Why can't people just take this as a tribute, or as its own story (just loosely based of someone's life). Why do, instead of calling the movie extremely melodramatic, people not call themselves melodramatic and over-reacting to this? Well, I won't bother to answer that, since I don't really say any problems with Bollywood trying to just tell a good story (inspired, copied, plagiarized, or not). It's nice to see Bollywood coming out with refreshing original movies (atleast when compared to Bollywood, because I'm sure some 48 year old obese man who has to take up celibacy will stroke his belly as he tries to give a witty and intelligent reply to my comment) So, quite simply, lay off. And as for Bollywood, this is an amazing movie. Definitely recommended to all Indian cinema goers.