IMDb > Black (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Black More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 18: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

The Left Elbow Index

Author: eldino33 from United States
19 November 2009

Again, The Left Elbow Index is overpowered by a spectacular film simply because BLACK exceeds the highest ratings the index can provide. In every area of film making considered--acting, plot, production sets, character development, artistry, dialogue, and continuity--this film receives a 10. The acting is intense, dramatic, and emotional. As Sahai, Amitabh Bachchan is extraordinary. His character never wavers from its intended goal to teach Michelle, so much so that a whole new definition of reacher is created. Rani Mukherjee, as Michelle, redefines tragedy as triumph with a spellbinding performance. As young Michelle, Ayesha Kapoor is so convincing that the viewer is unable to turn from the screen during her scenes. One is amazed at how so young an actress can act so well. And, as the long suffering Catherine, Shernaz Patel can bring tears to your eyes whether she is unhappy or elated. Like the main characters, the minor ones also perform on a high level. Attention to the plot never waivers, with the only question being how far the teacher can lead his student out of the blackness. The production sets are breathtaking, whether green-screen or otherwise. They are accurate and precise, and they set the tone in every instance. Character development is essential to good drama, and the dramatic element of recognition (change over time) is abundant. In a word, Michelle not only changes, she changes all with whom she contacts. Only in Shakespeare does one find the like. The artistry is simply overpowering, not only in the sets but what is included therein. For example, early in the film lines from Robert Frost's "Stopping by the Wood on a Snowy Evening" appear on Sahai's wall. He indeed has miles to go before he sleeps. And, Catherine's emotional morass is well expressed by a Russian iconic altarpiece of the "Pieta." As director, Sanjay Leela Bhansali weaves light and darkness, snow and rain, indoors and outdoors into a grand scheme of existence. Dialogue is exceptional, and many lines are profound and prophetic, such as "Children loved playing pranks on me, so did God" (Michelle), "She is suffocating in her darkness." (Catherine), or Sahai's " Life is like ice cream, enjoy it before it melts." Continuity is enforced not only with the visual elements in the film, but also with the Music, which is sophisticated and well-positioned. Keep in mind that a rating of 10 on The Left Flbow Index is very high, with 5 as average, and 1 as very poor, thereby judging films on a somewhat normal distribution curve. BLACK is truly in a class by itself. This film is very strongly recommended.

Unique Vision from Darkness to Shadows

Author: rotildao from UK
3 July 2008

Wonderful photography and nicely acted this movie tells the story of perseverance bringing us into a new world covered by emptiness of being.

The narrative is old fashioned which is a good thing, for the theme's harshness become sort of mild to swallow, and tastes good in the end.

The best things in Black are the visual spectacles and the strong performance by Amitabh Bachchan, a veteran actor with the caliber of Alec Guiness, who might be remembered as the narrating voice in Lagan.

A fine well constructed story that keeps dignity of not being a tearjerker as an appellative formula, specially judging the theme which usually tend to take that path.

For the humble and the ever learner! Enjoy!

Living life more vividly than we could ever imagine

Author: avocade from Sweden
23 November 2007

Perhaps wisdom is not learning all there is about the world, but instead relearning and rediscovering all the fundamentals of nature; the spelling of a word, the meaning of a sound, the feeling of a kiss, the laughter of children, the soft touch of a winter flake on a cold December morning, or the last rays of the Sun shining upon your face in the northern parts of the World, where light, for so many days of a lifetime, is such a precious gift.

Perhaps we should learn and see, that the people who live in constant darkness, with only the slightest ability communicating with the world most of us take for granted; to touch, to smell and to taste; are living this life more vividly, more fully and more strongly, than the great lot of us, for whom the wonders evident all around us, have become only of fleeting significance.

Another Hollywood copier

Author: Shashank Shrivastava from India
13 November 2007

When i first saw the movie, i was spellbound by the idea, execution and overall artwork of the movie, but yesterday i got chance to watch "The Miracle Worker" which changed everything i thought about BLACK. Whatever Sanjay Leela Bhansali did was blind copy(same sets, same camera movements, same story and even same lighting effects and dresses)! The only thing which was different is the typical bollywood touch in the second half of movie which must have been added to create fuss in media. Its unfortunate the never gave credit to such a great movie and that shows what kind of copy cats are Indian cinema makers. Martin Scorsese gave credit to the original Hong Kong movie when he made "The Departed", but Indian film makers have no courage to accept the truth, and that is really disheartening. Anyways, the movie is good, because he is good in copying Hollywood flicks(even "Khamoshi" & "Saanwariya" are copied from Hollywood flicks), so i still recommend people to go and watch this beautiful film... but don't give credit to director for that... coz he just copied it.

Author: dj_laserboy_007 from Oslo, Norway
24 June 2007

That is definitely the best movie Bollywood have ever made in their history. Really good acting and awesome story. If you don't like thismovie then you don't have taste of movie. I don't have words to describe this movie. Toooo GOOOOOOOD.. !!!!

BIG-B gives a really good acting performance in this movie and showes that the truly is the Big-B.

I cant imagine any other doing as well as Rani did. She was awesome.

And of course the little girl was really good to be a young girl Aysha Kapoor.

Sanjay Leela Bansali did a really good job. I will call him the best director in Bollywood. He has made few movies and all of them is the best movies of the year they are released.

A glimpse into the realities of life

Author: Anupam Satyasheel from United States
4 February 2007

Based on the darkness and soundlessness of Helen Keller's world, Sanjay Leela Bhansali's monumental work Black, is an attempt to take us through the experience of witnessing a human being overcome what is practically insurmountable. Black is an opportunity to witness and appreciate an aspect of human existence that many of us are probably not even aware of. To think of an existence wherein one cannot hear and cannot see calls for some ability to imagine. In the rush of life, we find it so very easy to ignore and block out the pains of lesser privileged that most of us perchance can never even imagine.

Black is a movie as 'real' as is gets – it is even based on a true story. In terms of cinematic excellence it belongs to the highest league. Bhansali seems to have brought that caliber and class to Bollywood that many directors failed in, even when they tried. In many ways, you are reminded of Sadma. But Bhansali's characters are a little more complex. Rani's deep felt pain has been portrayed at various levels – from the basic inability to communicate to a less obvious trauma of knowing that she would never be treated as a 'woman'. So has been Amitabh's sense of commitment as a teacher. It would be an understatement to brand Amitabh's role in Rani's life as that of a teacher. He is more of a father than Rani's own, more of a mother than Rani's own is and in what is a great moment of catharsis his character also rises to dare what the audience thought it would not – be Rani's one kiss lover. That one kiss symbolizes many a feelings – including a commitment to make Rani's life as complete as possible.

Black is full of brilliant performances - Ayesha Kapoor as the eight year old Rani, being probably the most impressive one. Rani herself has attained unprecedented heights of acting brilliance. Amitabh has acted brilliantly, so brilliantly that it seems almost effortless. Minus any songs and any Bollywood style twists and turns, Black probably marks the beginning of a new era in Indian cinema. In the final analysis, Bhansali's best direction until date – Black - is a great testimony to a great director who is not defined by his environment but defines it by his creations.

Changed my opinion about Rani Mukherjee

Author: hemal_triv from United States
24 December 2006

I had never carefully seen any of the Rani Mukherjee's films before Black. I always thought she was just one of those "chick flick" kind of an actress. I never took her seriously. But when I saw Black I was swamped. I was amazed. I was in awe! After a long time I remember crying and caring so much in an Hindi film. I have actually seen Black three times since then.

I am in love with Rani Mukherjee. She is up there in the list of my favorite Bollywood actresses along with Rekha, Madhuri and Wahida Rehman. And since then I have seen all the Rani's films.

But I am sorry to say Rani your rating is slowly dipping after that lousy Kabhi Alvida... and that horrible Babool. I think I will be back to being selective about your films again.

The best movie ever made...

Author: mohit_9390 from India
10 December 2006

Vow.. what a movie. Never seen such a movie before.

Rani has acted very well as a deaf, mute and blind girl who through her teacher achieves her goal in life though late.

Amitabh Bachchhan has the best role ever done. A firm and confident teacher who knows the hidden capacity in Rani.

The movie has been shot beautifully and the background score is awesome. A must watch for everyone so that one can know the problems in the life of a physically and mentally challenged person.

A nomination to the Oscars...

Now individual ratings: (Out of 5)

Rani: * * * * *

Amitabh: * * * * 1/2

Overall acting: * * * * *

Direction: * * * * *

Story: * * * * 1/2

Music: * * * *

Final rating: * * * * * * * * * 1/2

I rate the movie:9.5/10

Black is beautiful!!! Amitabh at his peak best!!!

Author: diligentdrool_14 from India
8 November 2006

10/10 is too less for a film like Black. It cant be described in sheer words... SLB surely proved himself a very capable director...after such a flashy film like Devdas, he surprises with such a mute {yet strongly speaking} film like Black. The sets were apt to the theme and added to the beaut of the film!!! Great editing!!! Great background score-It was so intense and apt to the film!!! Very good script!!! Through those limited talks, a lot was expressed!!! Stading ovation to all those who were a part of this wonderful film!!! Surely one of the BEST and FINEST made in history of Bollywood!!!

But, the main plus point of the film is THE STAND-OUT performances!!!

Rani Mukherjee proves very capable an artist and carries the deaf-blind girl Mischelle in her shoulder's with ease. The scene when she speaks{actually he mother speaks} after graduating really brought tears into my eyes...great acting...she is here to stay!!!

Ayesha Kapoor who plays the young Michelle does such a fabulous one could have done a better job...She plays the rough and arrogant young girl so well and you grip on to your seats when she gets intense and slaps Amitabh or throws water onto his face!

Shernaz Patel too does a commendable job and makes a great mother!Her love for her daughter is evident in her eyes!

And now...Mr.Amitabh Bachchan...He is surely the man who proved himself too good for the others. The show actually belongs to Big B who truly bowls you over with such a powerhouse performance!!! He plays the eccentric Debraj Sahai to perfection and shows the audience that the Big B era is here to stay well beyond 64. His scenes are perhaps the best in the film. Especially the one when he pleads Shernaz to let him stay and teach Michelle and says how his own mother had always said she was there to protect her daughter but at last send her to asylum. The intensity of his eyes...Only Amitabh could have done it!!! The kiss between Debray and Michelle too is a classic one-The most justified kiss perhaps in history of Bollywood! Touvhing scene. And towards the end when Michelle comes to see Sahai in the hospital and he dances out of joy and happiness....that alone is worth the money you spend for the film!!! Only Amitabh Bachchan could have touched your heart so deeply...especially in those scenes when he begins to show the start of his Alzhimers disease...His performance is truly sensational!!! HATS OFF TO THE GOD OF ACTING!!!

In fact, Black is an actor's film. It deservingly won almost all awards at all awards ceremonies of the year {whichis unprecedented in history of Bollywood} But all other elements too are fabulous!!! Together , they made the most beautiful film=BLACK, which will be remembered as a classic forever!!!

By the way, I forgot to mention: Amitabh deservingly won the National award for his performance in the film...Though he deserved the Oscars!!!

Black magic...

Author: rock831983 from India
26 August 2006

Just cameback after watching BLACK.... And this movie is a masterpiece by BHANSALI... another realistic movie...another realistic story... with top class performances.... but people who only love to watch entertaining and masala movies cant know the quality of this movie.... with two hrs of duration this movie takes bollywood cinema to another high level which we can be proud of...without any songs... this is bhansali's black magic... pace of the movie is through constant... and coming to the performance...AB has given a very sincere and good performance...not his best but very good performance... and ayesha kapoor playing rani's childhood is outstanding...she really surprises with her powerful performance...

and if some people think Hritik's acting in Koi mil Gaya was one of the best played by any actor of Bollywood then the same goes for Rani.... totally amazing powerpacked performance by her..... without any doubt its her career best performance....a performance even her haters have to praise it...

but handling all of them like captain of the ship is SANJAY LEELA BHANSALI who takes Indian cinema to another level....hats off to u...