IMDb > 13 Seconds (2003) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

13 Seconds (V) More at IMDbPro »

Page 10 of 11: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Best independent film I've ever seen!!!

Author: jenifer316 from United States
24 May 2005

This is by far the best independent film I've ever seen!!! A friend of mine suggested that I see this. He saw this at a film festival in California. He had heard that is was one of the better films and decided to go to this screening. I had to get to another on screening that evening and wished that this film was the one I saw after hearing so much about it afterwords.

I rented it a while back and finely got a chance to say something about it. Great job to all those involved in the film! Outstanding script and special effects! Jeff Thomas has decided to turn every horror cliché upside down-including the ending. Id love to see what this guy could do with a bigger budget! Keep making movies Jeff Thomas because I'll be anxiously waiting for to see the next one theatrically!

13 Seconds Rocks!

Author: (deadly4u75@aol.com) from Mississippi
23 May 2005

When I first heard about this film, I wasn't too sure if I'd like it...but my friend recommended it to me, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Was I surprised? Are you kidding me? I thought this was a great film. Sure the acting is pretty bad, but the creepiness, story and gore sure does makes up for that.

I have to give Jeff Thomas the highest regards for this film. Being the director and the star, I thought he did an excellent job. I hope I'm not alone in this, but I thought his acting reminded me of Emilio Estevez. Man...he has got to do more films and I mean that!

Now, let's talk about the gore. For an independent film, it had some of the best gore effects that I have seen in quite some time. The make-up on some of these ghouls were so effective that I thought I was watching a film with a high budget. I wish more indie films had gore effects like this.

The setting for this film was quite effective and some of the scenes made me jump a few times, which is rarely done. Hell...it's been a very long time since a horror film scared me at times and this one did the job.

All in all, this independent film was awesome and if you haven't gotten the chance to see it yet, then do yourself a favor and find this one. You won't be sorry!

the film horror fans have been waiting for

Author: darlene parker (screamgirl9@aol.com) from Hollywood, California
24 September 2003

Horror fans usually get the short end of the stick. Often we wait for films with boring or recycled plots that interject nothing worthwhile into an under appreciated genre. Not so with "13 Seconds." This is one film that treats horror fans and the genre with respect. You can tell the filmmakers know the genre inside and out. Lame cliches and camp humor are traded in for an intelligent script that will leave you on the floor asking yourself what just hit you. The special effects are simply awesome. Taken together, both story and special effects, are two elements that you would expect to see in a much higher budgeted Hollywood film. The ending itself was something I had never seen in any other independent film, much less in higher budgeted horror features. I just saw this film at an LA indie fest and throughout the running time audience members were jumping in their seats. All in all this is one film that every horror fan must see and it is in my opinion that "13 Seconds" will be around for a long time as it is destined to become a cult favorite. Trust me.

One of the best horror films I have seen in a long time!

Author: Rob Avery (slayride2000@hotmail.com) from Dayton, Oh
22 September 2003

An action packed and scary horror flick! Many chilling moments peppered with some of the best gore scenes since Dead Alive! I saw a screening of this movie at the Twisted Nightmare Weekend and I was on the edge of my seat! One of the creepiest movies I have seen since Jacob's Ladder! Gore fans will enjoy the plentiful grue!

Definitely worth watching

Author: mnicols-2 from United States
24 June 2008

Perhaps one of my favorite quotes in the film 13 seconds would be said by the character of Shapiro. "I don't have God's wisdom. What was created by God is now back with God, who are we to criticize that." There are so many things that I truly enjoy about this film, being a horror fan, I look for scenes at the beginning of a film that will draw me in and make me want to watch more. The "dream" scene at the beginning of the film did just that and the numerous flashbacks and the art gallery scenes kept my interest. The ending was definitely anything but predictable. It's amazing how everything was created in Davis's mind during the last 13 seconds of his life. The thinking that went into this film was amazing. I truly feel that this film is just a stepping stone for Jeff and I'm sure he will have much success in the future. I will be looking forward to it.

Cheesy film- Great ending!

Author: authorofhorror from United States
14 October 2007

I went walking through my local Blockbuster and saw the box for this film. After reading the back, I thought it didn't sound too horrible.

After the first 15-20 minutes I thought the film was one of the worst made. Then killings started to happen, and it got a little better, just to slow down again. If you can make it through this movie, the ending is honestly one of the best I have ever seen. Although the acting, make-up, and effects are lousy, the ending makes up for it. Would I rent it again? Probably not! The ending didn't hold that much water for me to re-rent this.

Basically, the film is about a group of people who get together to shoot a rock video, take drugs, and have sex. A lot of those films out already, you say? Maybe so. However, the thing that separates those films from this film is the fact that this is a horrible B-movie, and even Bruce Campbell wouldn't have made it better.

an innovative project with budget downfalls.

Author: grindbastard from United States
6 October 2006

I can understand why the majority of viewers will instantly trash this film, as the typical consumer's expectations necessitate the Hollywood production standards of the major industry players. What I found most interesting about 13 Seconds is what was accomplished independently and with an obviously limited budget. The do-it-yourself approach is endearing, but specific elements have resultantly suffered (such as the acting/cast and audio of the film) and most people will have a problem with this. The cinematography, editing, and writing suffice for an enjoyable genre indulgence, but only one that I could overall recommend to core horror fans. I'd like to see what what Jeff Thomas could accomplish with the right resources.

interesting,dark and somewhat moody.

Author: stormruston from victoria bc
31 December 2005

This movie had a couple truly eerie moments and a couple good gore scenes.It also was scary at least twice, that is pretty darn good for a horror movie nowadays.

Still I thought the acting was at best average and generally on the poor side.

The lighting was way to dark for my taste, but still it was stylishly filmed, and I eventually got used to the overly dark look.

The special gore effects were pretty good as were the "monters".

The story is interesting enough and gets better as the movie goes on.

For an Inderpendent film, this is way above what is being put out lately.

The visual images are graphic and gory ..... Kudos to MALEFACTOR studio!

Author: HorrorLuv_R from United States
19 June 2005

Recently, I had the opportunity to view this low-budget horror flick. I would like to share my thoughts regarding this film. With many lower budget films, sacrifices are made to be able to complete the film within their budget allowed, and this film is also subject to just that. I must admit, that the acting was definitely the weakest part of this film. As I viewed the film, I was particularly annoyed with the actor/director, Jeff Thomas who portrayed the character "Davis". As a lot of indie film makers also act in their first movies, Thomas did just that. However, I found that every time Thomas' character would speak, it seemed as if he was 'overacting' and making love to the camera! His performance seemed 'wooden'. He would do a FAR better job being focused behind the camera, rather than in front of it. April Cole - (Keira) she also seemed scared to be on camera, and it was hard to hear her speaking in several scenes of the movie. I actually enjoyed the monsters - they were menacing. The performances by Rob Miller, Daniel Rain, and Kevin Kuras were the best in this film. They actually acted while the others just seemed to 'be there'. The one and only great part of the movie that I have found, was hands down - The Special/Visual effects that were done by Malefactor Studio. Rob Miller and his team created nail biting scenes that made you just cringe - and not mention jump out of your seat! There was a scene in the movie that created such a visual of 'Sidetracks' character, where he actually bites at you - sending chills down your spine. The spfx were visually effective, and scary. It seems as if all the money that they used for this low budget film, must have been with the SPFX... all I can say is that it was money well spent! I hope to see another film done by Ravencroft with Jeff Thomas directing, as well as Malefactor Studios and Rob Miller's creative concept team making more intense creepy visuals! I would like to see what this "Dynamic Duo" come up with, if they were given a large budget for another film! I do recommend this film for all you die-hard horror buffs. It is a must-see - just for the visuals alone! You will enjoy the "living art museum" and "the upside-down crucification where the gent gets tangled with his own innards!" You have to see it to believe it! Get past the so/so acting and the story line is solid, and it is worth the rental.

Not so bad....not so good....

Author: fyrechika
16 November 2004

I just recently saw this movie--my boyfriend rented it because we've seen a lot of good indie films lately, and this one came with high regards (awards, etc.).

So, what do I think of it? Welll......it's alright. Obviously it was low-budget, but I think the lighting and effects were good for it's class. In fact, I will go so far as to say that the blood scenes were the best I've seen in such low-budget movie. The acting however was awful. I don't know if these guys agreed to do the movie for free, or what, but I think it would have been preferable to wait until raise the cash to pay good actors. The plot was interesting. I have to admit that I was really ticked through the whole thing b/c it didn't make sense. Then the ending comes and I thought it was alright. Did the movie deserve awards? I don't think so, but that's my opinion, and I don't know what other films it went against.

Now, this is a personal note to some other reviewers: You are entitled to your own opinion. So is everyone. Everyone has their own tastes. If you don't like something, that's fine, but you should have a reason. Don't say people are stupid b/c they liked this film.

Page 10 of 11: [Prev][5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]