IMDb > 13 Seconds (2003) (V) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 6 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

13 SECONDS should have been 13 seconds long

Author: gdarkness from Shamokin, PA
10 March 2004

I received a reviewer's copy of this "film" to review for my website from Robert Miller who played Sidetrack. After all of the hype I had heard about this film, thought why not give it a try. I have NEVER seen such over, and in most cases, under-acting in my life. What a pieces of tripe. I wanted to reach into the film and strangle the lead actor who did nothing but scrawl throughout the entire film. SCRAWLING IS NOT ACTING BUB! He looked like he had a bad case of stomach cramps. This is absolutely the worst wannabe horror movie I have ever seen. WORSE THAN NIGHTMARE WEEKEND. EVEN WORSE THAN CARNIVORE. 13 SECONDS makes Umberto Lenzi's IRONMASTER look like THE ROBE. There is absolutely nothing frightening about this film, and there is nothing positive to say about it. One reviewer said "At times it seemed that this movie would never let up as it continually assaulted the viewer with an endless barrage of horrific images, intense action, and genuinely frightening jolts." Sorry Cindy, you must have been watching a different movie than the one I watched. Assaulted the viewer. It insulted the this viewers intelligence, and insulted the genre of horror. 13 SECONDS should have been 13 seconds long, I may have enjoyed it then.

The New Breed of American Independant Horror

Author: D_wallace from Seattle
21 November 2003

I've had the chance to see this film twice now, first at Exofest II: The Calgary International Horror Film Festival and then at Shriekfest in L.A. and after each viewing I was able to find more about the film that I liked. I have seen all of the reviews for this film and would like to address a few of the major points.

Firstly, the acting, which, as with most low-budget independent features, is not the best, but it is also done in a monotone style which is used to denote a dreamlike quality. Though it does come across as stilted, it is still better than most other low budget horror films I have seen.

The original story on the other hand is what puts this film ahead of others in the genre. It stays faithful to the story and doesn't stray or add superfluous scenes that have no relevance. I find low budget films almost always try to cram too much into a film, just for the sake of having enough storyline.

Jeff Thomas also has an ability to frame shots that is sometimes lost on bigger budget films. He takes his shooting seriously and it shows. The cuts from the gallery pictures to the scenes they portray are vivid and seamless, these scenes alone show why so many people have been talking about this film in horror circles for the better part of a year. The special effects team should also be mentioned, their work on the gore and the demons are what make 13 seconds an above par low budget independent American

horror film. The effects remind one of the heyday of independent horror, the time of Raimi (Evil Dead), Hooper (Texas Chainsaw Massacre) and Romero (Night of the Living Dead).

Overall, this is a good film and we can expect even greater things from Jeff Thomas in the future. To all the detractors of this film I would just say that they are not true horror fans and if they were, they would be able to see beyond the obvious and view this film with the great intent that it was meant.

Like a train wreck.....

Author: junkugeek007 from United States
7 January 2005

If you are reading this, you have seen this movie OR are the filmmakers brother, friend or live in the next trailer over. I say this because no normal human should actually be investigating IMDb to see if '13 Seconds' may be a decent movie to rent. In fact, the intellect and effort required to actually get to this website should preclude any of the cast and crew from ever actually reading this review - so I guess you are just as mind-numbingly dumbfounded as me after watching this steaming turd. In my best estimate, this movie was shot in one day and heavily utilized the masterful expertise of the local high school's AV club. I have seen many B and even C grade movies and find them funny to watch. This movie is so seriously bad that it makes 3 AM Cinemax softcore look like Citizen Kane and 'House of the Dead' look like Gone with the Wind (If you haven't seen House of the Dead, it was the worst movie I have seen until '13 Seconds'). In closing, I truly hope that no one actually reads this review, because it would mean that another person was lobotomized by this squalid piece of trailer park debris and searched this review out of sheer morbid amazement. God Save us all.

Worst movie ever!

Author: ktofil
11 December 2004

Now I've seen my share of low-budget bad movies, as my roommate rents a lot of independent films, but this one takes the cake. Watching this movie was complete torture. The acting, script and editing were terrible, the plot was non-existent, and the movie made no sense. There was no character development, motivation for actions or true creativity. Some of the effects were okay, if you consider the small budget, but not nearly enough to make this movie worth watching. There was not motivation I only wish that I could take back those 90 minutes of my life I wasted watching this piece of junk. I can't even believe I took the time to write this review... except for my desire to warn any one considering watching this movie to ignore the unwarranted high reviews of this movie. Just turn it off!

Taut , well directed none stop horror romp

Author: mistermonster1954 from Orlando, Fl.
16 September 2004

13 SECONDS , to me , is actually a film of it's own. It did remind me of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD ( 1968 ) & THE LAST MAN ON EARTH ( 1964 ) , but taut direction by Jeff Thomas made it a none - stop horror - romp , any Zombie fan would love ! I saw this film last fall at SCREAMFEST Convention in Florida and was quite pleased . I do recommend you see it ! Considering how many of these same type of movies are and have been produced since NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD ( 1968 ) , 13 SECONDS still manages to have it's own originality about it ; sure CHILDREN SHOULDN'T PLAY WITH DEAD THINGS , RETURN OF THE LIVING DEAD , DAWN OF THE DEAD , DAY OF THE DEAD all had their moments , but Jeff Thomas' 13 SECONDS has it's own.

a different take on things...

Author: blockedwriter (blockedwriter@aol.com)
20 November 2003

I was one of the attendees at the Florida ( ScreamFest 2003) screening of " 13 Seconds" and I must say that I found no one "fleeing" the screening room. As with most films at a convention, people simply left to take in the remainder of activities hosted at the con, since this film was much longer than most screeners I have seen. There was comments and a few chuckles from the audience, at bits of the film. But to my recollection there was no "groaning". I found myself riveted by this movie and was surprised at the ending-- Followed is the review I did for " 13 Seconds" as posted on Horror-web.com:

From the enigmatic opening to it's jaw-dropping slap you in the gut and run ending. 13 Seconds tells the story of a band with many problems who are recording their new album in an old school. The large spooky building acts as cast member, losing the others in it's large corridors and spooky rooms. Included is the omnious Gallery, in which the fates of all those in the house are on display. Directed by Jeff Thomas, 13 Seconds, is an eerie chiller of a movie. With some surprisingly gorey moments that made me even say " oh damn." The production design and special efx looked terrific for an indie feature and I was generally impressed with the entire film. A superb script, which though at times feel to go a little slow. Quickly catching itself back up to deliver the goods. The acting is not always the best, but the cast does an excellent job keeping the momentum moving. The film has some scary images, such as the men in the straight jackets-- pretty freaky!

With an equally eerie score by Mike Poland. The whole film works together to push you to the edge and then throw you off. Truly I hope to see more from Jeff Thomas and crew.

A great movie for TRUE horror movie fans that can appreciate Indies!

Author: efrain-2 from United States
17 January 2005

I finally got around to watching 13 Seconds. At first, it comes off as your usual haunted house with a supernatural slasher opus, however, it soon picks up in a completely different direction. The bottom line here is CREEPY! I'm very impressed with the actual effort the film makers put into this project. The plot is well thought out, and the twist at the end just brings everything together and leaves you feeling the way watching "The Sixth Sense" for the first time would. The M. Night Shyamalan tributes are apparent, as are a couple of them to Romero, early Raimi and even the video game Silent Hill! Having read a couple of posts in the message boards, I can honestly say that in order to appreciate this movie to its fullest extent, you need to be a true horror film fan. Why? - You have to know who Romero and Raimi are - and how some of their early work plays like a masterpiece to true horror fans, but to the average person - those movies were just cheap passable projects. Even guys like Peter Jackson started out with schlocky movies (see Bad Taste). I actually saw this movie with my 14 year old daughter who has some appreciation for horror movies, nonetheless she's from the Scream/I know What You Did... era, so her notion of horror is very different from mine, and her idea of low budget is anything under a Ten Million dollar budget! You have to have an appreciation for low budget movies to know what these guys accomplished on a shoestring budget. They created a picture perfect dark mood with a dreamlike feel (even down to the hazed out acting). I look forward to future movies from the guys behind this one.

Imaginitive Writing!!

Author: Iron Mike from Michigan, USA
27 May 2004

I was very impressed with Jeff Thomas' first motion picture. I loved the suprise ending. The dreary dreamlike mood and the characters desensitized mannerisms and dialogue kept me wondering if there was something tricky going on. Without adding spoilers, I was right!

Jeff Thomas has definitely done his part in destroying horror genre cliché's that are all too common in today's movies. I was also impressed with the amount of special effects for a low budget film.

I think Jeff Thomas' work is a crossbreed of David Fincher and George Romero and I look forward to his future projects. I hope in time he starts to get the budgeting he deserves!

"...an outstanding performance by Jeff Thomas, the writer/director of the film..."

Author: mockfear from Washington D.C.
15 November 2003

Now I love independent films, but I usually don't rate them very well. A lot of them have some really bad acting, and weak story lines. But this is a very different kind of independent film. I rate this right up there with "The Dead Hate the Living." Decent acting for the most part, and an outstanding performance by Jeff Thomas, the writer/director of the film. They went all out with the special effects on this one. I was truly impressed. I know other people have said the same thing about this film, but there is only one word to describe it "Creepy." Trust me on this watch it alone and in the dark, and you won't be disappointed.

A band travels to this abandoned school to start recording their new album. The place is really big it's owners and occupants look like they left in a hurry. Their soundman decides to set up in the attic of all places, because it has the best harmonics. Before they can even begin recording, they find that they are being picked off one by one, and it seems that someone knows who will be next. Gruesome paintings appear in the gallery one by one showing the next death. After the sun goes down the real fun begins.

Creatures begin crawling out of the woodwork. The trees surrounding the school are filled with them, and you can feel that no one is ever getting out of there alive.

Awesome Movie

Author: hotcreep18 from United States
13 May 2005

Wow! A lot of people one in particular seems to have a problem with 13 Seconds. I'd sure like to see them make a low budget film. I just finished watching 13 Seconds, the story line was awesome, and being a low budget film it has some pretty cool special effects. Everyone has different views when watching a horror film. This one guy really seems to have a problem with this movie, and sure has a lot of time on his hands to bash it. Common sense will tell you from as many posts this gentlemen has made about this movie, that he has something against this movie, or the producer. It depends on what you look for when watch a movie. Understandably the people bashing this movie, it either warning other people not to rent it, or they didn't get anything out of its success. Either way I loved the movie, and respect the people it took to create it. Don't believe all the negative comments about this movie, just because someone else didn't like 13 Seconds, don't mean that everyone dislikes it.

Page 6 of 11: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]