IMDb > "Stargate: Atlantis" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Stargate: Atlantis"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Stargate: Atlantis" More at IMDbPro »

Page 1 of 11:[1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [Next]

Let me be succinct: ....Watch it.

Author: ejafus-1 from Toronto, Canada
15 August 2004

Watch this series.

I am incredibly surprised at the quality of this series. At this point I have watched episodes 1 through 5, and am stunned at how much I am actually interested in watching this series.

The show appears to be well-thought out, the sets are remarkably authentic feeling despite what I am sure for a new series is a small budget, and the interplay between characters is consistent and easily acceptable.

The show is also very fast-paced and despite the short time (5 eps.), there are already a great number of believable plot threads.

Most importantly, the characters are believable and likable and for a sci-fi series, real. As mentioned earlier, the interplay between the characters is something to see. Indeed, when watching the series I actually forget I'm watching sci-fi.

Watch it if you can, I suspect you'll like it.

Darker, funnier, better

Author: Stibbert from Norway
27 August 2005

An international expedition lead by Dr. Elizabeth Weir is set of through the Stargate into the Pegasus galaxy. They discover a threat far beyond anything encountered before. A race that destroyed the Ancients, the most developed race known to man.

As a big SG-1 fan I had my doubts that this spin-off would succeed in being close to SG-1. To my great surprise I found Atlantis better in many ways.

First there is a great well written story. They use the new galaxy for all it's worth. The casting is great. A nice mix of civilians and military. I find the characters here better then SG-1. David Hewlett and David Nykl make a perfect couple as Dr. McKay and Dr. Zelenka. And season two newcomer Ronon Dex is also turning out to be good as the quiet more mysterious type.

Atlantis is a lot darker then SG-1. It's one of the more darker sci-fi of it's kind I've seen and it works. Specially since the mood is so well captured. The cinematographers does a great job at that. However, at the same time it's dark, the show manage to have humor. I like that. They don't overdo it. It's a nice mix. It gives the show a kind of looser feeling. A feeling of that they don't take them selves all too seriously. That it one of the things I really like about the Stargate series.

The directing is also very good. The fact that the same directors and creative crew members work or has worked on both series gives the series much of the same qualities and they manage to stay somewhat in the same style without the one being a copy of the other.

Stargate Atlantis features some of the best special effects you find on television. The plain CGI sequences is very well made and when they mix CGI and real footage you can hardly tell the difference. There are also some pretty nice fight scenes. These are very well coordinated and well executed. The Wraith makeup and makeup through out the show is also nice done. So are the costumes.

As spin-offs have a tendency to might not be as good as the original Atlantis is on many points better then the original. This is a show you should catch if you get the chance.

Excellent Show

Author: dmiller-20 (dmiller-20) from Ontario, Canada
13 December 2004

I just had to give my 2 cents worth on this show in some public forum somewhere because I'd hate to see the studio cancel it because it wasn't getting very good feedback. I watch the show every Monday night and it is the highlight of my week (and, yes, I do have a life).

I very much enjoy the characters, the story lines, and the Wraiths. And given the fact that it is still only the first season I'm hoping that the show will only get better. If you want to see weak story lines just about half the Star Trek: TNG series had them and that show lasted 7 seasons (I believe). Yes, I'm a Trekkie but I don't believe you have to be one or even a fan of the sci fi genre to enjoy this series.

To the writers, producers, and actors on the show I'm cyberbegging that you continue your great work and know that it is being very much appreciated by people like me (smart and handsome).

Dave M

How dare people put this show down

Author: brocious from United States
30 January 2005

I've read comments about how bad this spin off is. Are they watching the same series as I? This is not a carbon copy of SG1, or should it be! The story lines are completely different and the characters are fantastic! I love the Wraith! I look forward every week for this show. I just hope and pray that the Sci-Fi channel doesn't cancel it like they've canceled great sci-fi shows in the past! The super line-up on Firdays with Andromeda, Stargate SG1, Stargate Atlantis and Battle Star gallactica, what more could a sci-fi Junker ask for? If Stargate SG1 ends it's run, this spin-off will take it's place without sacrificing it's quality!

Atlantis

Author: rune_play from Canada
25 January 2005

A huge fan of SG-1 myself, I was at first doubtful about a spin-off where the story was about people in Atlantis. I mean, Atlantis? How much more cliché could you get, right? I was terrified that it would be so bad, Stargate would become a joke in the SF world.

I'm glad I was wrong. I'm hooked on the series and have watched every single episode. I can't wait for "The Siege" part 2 next week! The season started off with a great two-parter, "Rising". Amazing FX, great plot, great characters (it was such a pleasure to have McKay back!)and Jack O'Neill and Daniel Jackson from SG-1 to make the transition.

The plot is that an expedition is mounted to send a team of scientists from all over the world and military personnel to the lost city of Atlantis. This team is led by Dr. Elizabeth Weir, a diplomat that was introduced in the episode "Lost City" of Stargate SG-1. They manage to get to the Pegasus Galaxy and Atlantis but they don't have a power source that can send them back to Earth (it's called a ZPM, zero point module). When they get there, they make a new enemy called the Wraith that preys on humans, sucking the life out of them.

There was the worry that it would turn into the Stargate version of Trek's Voyager. An expedition stuck far away looking for a way home. It's already well known to Atlantis fans that from the beginning of season 2 there will be contact with Earth on a regular basis.

After "Rising", the series slows down a little with some moderately good episodes but some brilliant episodes come late ("Before I sleep", "Poisonning the Well", "Home", "The Storm" and "The Eye" ...) Overall there are more great episodes than so-so ones.

The Wraith then. They scare the hell out of me! The Goa'uld (from SG-1) are funny evil, the Wraith are terrifying evil. Seriously. I'd pick becoming the host to a Goa'uld or matter to a Replicator over being Wraith dinner anytime.

The city of Atlantis is beautiful (those FX! Wow!), the theme music is great. The uniforms aren't all that convincing. And what I like most of it is that it's very newbie friendly (meaning you can easily watch and understand without having watched SG-1 before) while being interesting for old time fans (such as myself) of all things Stargate. The series keeps getting better as the season passes and though it's practically over now with the second half of the finale airing next week I can tell season 2 is going to be amazing. Even with the changes to the cast. McGillion who plays Dr. Beckett is coming back as a regular (excellent!) and Francks a.k.a. Lt. Ford is becoming recurring (not good in my opinion) and a new character by the name Ronon Dex (not cast yet) is gonna become a regular. The rest of the cast is brilliant and I'm glad they've started developing Teyla some more.

All the show needs now is the Chevron Guy from SG-1 and for Dr. Zelenka to become a regular :D

SG:A - More of the same in a better package! Tune in now!

Author: from Denmark
28 August 2004

Dr. Jackson discovers the last symbol of the 8 digit code for Atlantis, the origin for the lost city Atlantis, the location not being earth, but much further away in a galaxy called Pegasus. Dr. Weir, who took control of the SGC facility in SG-1, have been appointed leader of a expedition that travels through the StarGate to find the lost city, together with Major Sheppard (Joe Flanigan) and his team they explore the lost city Atlantis and the Pegasus galaxy, hereby encountering a new all-powerful race 'The Wraith' that supposedly have wiped out the 'human' race The Ancients.

Major Sheppard, being a resemblance of Brigadier General Jack O'Neill, of course stirs things up, and awakens The Wraith, and hereby the battle between Good & Evil begins in the Pegasus galaxy.

SG:Atlantis is a lot like SG-1, don't get me wrong though, it's not entirely the same, but if you have seen the SG-1 show, you will know what I mean, it all begins in the same track that SG-1 did. To cut it short, Atlantis is more of the show we all love, SG-1, but in a new package, maybe even a better package, remember the budgets being bigger and bigger for the SG shows. I personally like Atlantis, it's not like I'm seeing anything shockingly new, but it's the fascinating universe of the SG, which we all love, and the more the merrier.

You don't have to know the SG-1 show, to enjoy Atlantis, even though you don't have the full insight of the SG world from the former shows, you can still enjoy Atlantis, and part by part learn about the SG universe, so don't be afraid to watch this show, even though you haven't seen the movie or SG-1.

Enjoy your journey with StarGate Alantis.

A great start for a continuation of the franchise

Author: saralou from Newcastle - UK
3 January 2005

Atlantis had a great kick off, especially being introduced to us with some crossover of the Stargate Sg-1 crew comprising of the two original Stargate characters O'Neill and Jackson.

With exceptional fx, some great makeup on the bad guys and what is forming to be a good team on the front line Atlantis is making a good impression and after winding down it's premiere season, its actors have already signed up for a five year deal proving it's popularity. Bringing in some oft he best audiences for a premiere sci-fi show it has potential to be worthy to carry on the Stargate franchise.

The characters are likable, if we get to know them a little better. I feared a few may be culled in order for it to continue but it hasn't happened yet. Sarcastic spars can be a little too much but it's the kind of humour I'm drawn to so I shouldn't complain too much.

it will be nice to get to know the characters better and if five years has been called for it gives us plenty of time. I do wonder about the bad guys, unlike Stargate SG-1's Gould, who we also got to know and had some sort of personality to them, it seems all the Wraith are around for is to suck out lifeforces before going back to sleep. For me they provide a convincing scare fest of 'Wouldnt want to meet one down a dark ally' but as to their staying power I'm not convinced, if they sleep every one hundred and fifty years, and yes we accidentally woke them up, wouldn't they go back to sleep after a while, are they now destined to stay awake forever in pursuit of Earth which they conveniently found out in the first episode.

I'm still impressed y them, the look, the threat, but compared to the Gould and other bad guys of SG-1 like the replicators I do hope other enemies come into play lest they become too boring by the end of the second season.

All in all,Atlantis has potential, and is worthy to carry on the franchise as the first spin off, ( i hope for a few) as long as the characters stay likable, the bad guys stay believable and the plots don't lose themselves in SG-1esque outlines.

Getting There

Author: Mel J from Dundee, Scotland
28 October 2004

Having only seen a few episodes of 'Stargate: Atlantis' and given it is a young show, I have to say that while it may not be on the same level as 'Stargate: SG1', it is enjoyable in itself. No first season of any series is wonderful (look at Star Trek: The Next Generation) but 'Stargate: Atlantis' has fared quite well.

The characters are likable although understandably we don't have much of a feel for them yet. There is a nice rapport between Sheppard, McKay, Weir and Beckett already but I think Teyla needs some work otherwise she'll just end up a token alien character. I'm still not sure how I feel about the Wraiths yet, I hope they don't crop up in each and every episode and other plot devices are explored instead. There is nothing so dull as when TV show focus on the main 'baddie' to the exclusion of everything else (Buffy and Angel were guilty of this as was 'The X-Files').

I think if given some time 'Stargate: Atlantis' can progress to be as great as its predecessor and it certainly has the making of being a thrilling sci-fi show. People need to stop compared it to SG1 though and give it a chance to develop. Too many potentially good shows are cancelled too soon because they are not given the opportunity to improve.

This show ROCKS!!!

Author: stargatesg1 from USA
15 September 2004

I was expecting a boring spin off similar to some of the Star Trek series', but I was pleasantly surprised. Instant action in the pilot episode when Dr. McCray nearly shoots down Gen. O'Neill's helicopter with the ancient's weapon. Thought it was rather fitting that Daniel really, really wanted to go with the Atlantis team....but of course, Jack said no.

The Wraith are a whole new nemesis for the SG team to deal with on a weekly basis. They are ugly creatures that I think could crush the Goa'uld in a heartbeat. The healing ability of these creatures is amazing. The Atlantis team members pretty well have to blow them to bits at point blank to defeat them. Excitement in every encounter with the Wraith.

Can't wait for this series to be released to DVD. It will definitely be added to my Stargate SG-1 DVD collection!!!!

Fantastic

Author: anifanmc from United States
13 January 2008

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that as a spin off, Atlantis has done much more than its parent series, Stargate SG1, by introducing a new cast of characters who give us more of what the essence of Stargate is - funny, serious, sad, and epic at the same time.

The premise of Atlantis is a continuation from the "Lost City" two-parter that ended Season 7 of SG1. Following further examination of the cave in which the Antarctic Stargate and Ayiana were found, Jackson discovers that the address to Atlantis is eight-symbol - that is, it is located in a whole new galaxy. Dr. Weir, the former head of the SGC, played by Tori Higginson, is appointed the head of the expedition, and some old favorites such as Dr. Rodney McKay return to the scene.

The newcomers are no less handy. Major (and later Colonel) John Sheppard, played by Joe Flanigan, is the junior (and then later senior) military leader of the Atlantis Expedition and possesses an uncanny talent to pilot or use anything that requires the use of the Ancient Technology Activation gene. Carson Beckett played by Paul McGillion, is the medical officer aboard the ship and has become a fan favorite for innumerable reasons.

Upon their arrival, they discover that Atlantis has almost completely run out of power and has been submerged under the sea. Not having enough power to activate a gate back home, they start looking for a way out within the new galaxy, and discover the Athosians, who tell them of a new enemy, the Wraith. Their leader, Teyla Emmagan (Rachel Luttrell), recognizes them as technological descendants of the Ancestors, as they refer to the Lantean Ancients, and believes that they have the power to stop them. Soon after, the team discover that the Wraith are waking up in droves and are a far greater threat than they envisioned - they were responsible for the extinction of the Ancients within the Pegasus galaxy. Much of the series revolves around trying to find ways to combat and destroy the Wraith.

Later on, new enemies are introduced, including a new variant of the human form replicators created by the Asgard - only this time they have very powerful Ancient technology which rivals that of the original Ancients. Later on, Ronon Dex (Jason Momoa), a Satedan fighting against the Wraith in vengeance for the destruction of his homeworld and the murder of his people, joins the Atlantis team.

A must see.