IMDb > Halloween (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Halloween

Halloween More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 107: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Bad trash.

Author: ThrownMuse from The land of the Bunyips
16 September 2007

"Halloween: White Trash" is one of the biggest horror turds of the year so far. While I'll give Rob Zombie some credit for "re-imagining" the popular 1978 horror classic (he spends half the film on Michael Myers' childhood and lock-up time) instead of merely remaking it, the end result is unfortunately an incohesive mess. It is also spastic, obnoxious, and worst of all, not scary. The dialogue is really awful--it makes the dialogue in Eli Roth's films sound like Shakespeare. Most people I know drop f-bombs here and there, but nearly every character in this movie uses it in every other sentence! Michael is the only main character in the film, which is actually a neat reversal, but Zombie's poor writing skills just can't pull it off. Boo-hoo, his mom was a stripper and kids picked on him for it. This is why horror remakes should not try to give horror legends like Leatherface or Michael Myers or whoever a new back-story. It's usually a half-assed attempt to make the character sympathetic. Unless they can come up with something truly fascinating or bizarre (which they never do), then it's not going to be effective. Worse, it takes away any mystery or suspense the film could potentially have, as in the sad case of Halloween'07. Laurie Strode's role serves a completely different purpose in this film than in the original. While that is inherently interesting, it isn't enough to keep this one afloat. As with "The Devil's Rejects," Zomb gets kudos for casting genre vets in most of the supporting roles, but it almost comes across like a joke at times. At one point, Udo Kier pops up, spouts an Udo-ism in his Udo accent, and then is never seen again.

It was so bad i think it gave me cancer

Author: ncfmike18 from United States
2 September 2007

I thought Rob Zombie was bad at making music, than i watched this abomination to cinema. I thought that Blair witch project and Halloween 3 were bad, but this is just i don't know if their is a word to describe how awful this for lack of a better word "movie" was, How about i make a new one herendisgusting.

Halloween is my favorite movie of all time. I am referring to the 1978 version of course. Donald Pleasence is probably rolling over in his grave thanks to this so called movie. Malcolm McDowell was an OK replacement but, Donald Pleasence performance can't be topped. This entire movie was bad, it felt forced from the Killings to the dialog The "F" word is used gratuitously It felt like i wasn't even watching Halloween at all . It was so bad it has actually taken away from the original, I think it may have given me cancer. If i had paid to see this i'd be so Mad it's unreal. To finish Don't watch this movie Ever even for free cause it will be a waste of time. I would have rather done just about anything else than watched this "movie" it would have been a better use of the time i wasted on it. Rob Zombie deserves to be punched in the face hard and multiple times for butchering a classic movie that didn't need to be remade

P.S the nude scenes even sucked, and i think Danielle Harris is really hot, but her boobs are smeared with blood the whole time o yeah thats a real turn on. By the way I feel sorry to those of you who have spend their money on this

Very disappointed, this movie is sleazy/trashy, a classic has been butchered.

Author: backdoc from United States
17 September 2007

I just saw this movie and I am very disappointed. I had high hopes for this movie but I found this remake to be nothing but trash, Rob Zombie butchered this movie. I realize this was not meant to be a carbon copy remake but this movie is a disgrace to John Carpenters original. The first half of the movie, which you could call a prequel is nothing but a sleazy/trashy movie with some very terrible acting. The only decent acting comes from Danny Trejo. The first half of the movie is boring and makes Michael Myers out to be a product of his environment, white trailer trash. In the original he was pure evil making him not human, indestructible. The second half of the movie which is now 17 years later is better but it feels rushed because too much time was spent on developing Michael Myers back ground. The acting is improved but the characters are shallow, Dr. Loomis, an important character, is pathetic and unbelievable. The second half is nothing more than body counts, the suspense, the scares, and the eeriness are all gone. I would rather watch Halloween III before I would watch this garbage again. I sure hope Rob Zombie is not the future of horror movie making because I have seen his other movies as well and they are nothing more more than very low grade B-movies with some very terrible acting. Rob Zombie needs to stick to music and leave movie making to somebody who knows what they are doing. This movie is a disgrace to John Carpenters work.

Funniest movie of the year.

Author: Jericho from United States
2 September 2007

This was the funniest movie I have seen all year. Michael Myers had me laughing so hard I cried. And the dialogue was just just hysterical. Oh wait a minute. Was this movie not supposed to be fuuny? I thought it was a comical remake of a Classic Hooror movie. It wasn't? Seriuosly though. This is one of the worst movies I think I have ever seen. And definitely the worst remake that has ever been given a wide release. That's right, I said "REMAKE". And everyone is full of crap, if they try to say that this movie wasn't a remake, but a "revisioning" or a movie "based on" another story.

Rob Zombie shouldn't be allowed to make another movie. Especially a remake. Donald Pleasance is spinning in his grave right now.

Nothing but SPOILERS ahead.

Serioously, Laurie Strode doesn't appear until half-way through the movie. And Laurie and her friends are a bunch of stupid, annoying, high school girls, that i didn't care about, and they deserved to die. It's a shame Daniel Harrison can't find better work.

The killings were random. They didn't make sense. You couldn't tell how most people died and you couldn't really tell what happened at the end with Laurie and Michael. This is all thanks to Zombies, choppy & sloppy MTV-Style of editing.

Oh and the fact that Micael Myers can just walk through doors and walls was so stupid. I don't know why he couldn't walk through the walls at the end of the movie, when he was doing it throughout.

Just like I don't know why we were treated to a 5 minute scene that explained to us, how Michael found shoes to wear. Yeah you read that right. Or how and why he found time to hide the knife and mask after he killed his parents.

And the music in this movie was horrible. The music made me laugh almost more than anything else. "Love Hurts"? Come on!! I read one review where someone said the music in this remake was an improvement from the original. I don't know what crack that person was doing.

The language was out of control. F-Bombs were dropped almost every other word in the movie. And if it wasn't the F-Bomb being dropped it was some other totally uneccessary, excessive use of another foul word.

I could have made a better Halloween remake with my digital camera.

And i am not bothering to spell check this review. I say this because i am sure there will be at least 1 person who disagrees with my review so much that they will have nothing else better to say about my review other than that i don't' know how to spel corectly. This review was only meant to vent my anger with Zombie and everyone involved in this train wreck of a classic movie, that should have just been left alone.

Oh well, at least I was given a really good couple of laughs for the weekend. THIS MOVIE IS CRAP. and the WORST REMAKE EVER!

S10 Review's Halloween (2007)

Author: suspiria10 from The Void
31 August 2007

Michael Myers returns to the stalk-and-slash game with this highly controversial and anticipated re-imagining of the much beloved 1978 version of Halloween.

I ventured into a midnight showing thinking I pretty much knew what to expect. Or did I? I was one of the chuckleheads who saw the work-print on Tuesday night. What I saw in the work-print had a lot of promise. It needed the usual pacing edits and a half dozen or so pick-ups to round out the action.

Flash forward to Thursday night / Friday morning and a promising start with a wicked 'The Mist' trailer I hunkered down for the nest two hours. I knew there were changes. A new ending and the removal of the rape scene seemed to be the most mentioned. As things started to unfold my interest started to pick up when many of the thinks I had noted from the work-print were tweaked and snipped making it leaner and meaner. The fairly nasty rape scene that lead to Michael's escape was replaced by a more likely scenario (hell more screen time for Bill Mosely is always welcome). The pace gets tightened and it moves quicker. A few bobbles here and there. The nurse getting slaughtered scene while properly shortened took away some of the long version's creepiness. But nothing too severe and tension was even added to several scenes whereas the work-print had absolutely no scares at all. All the way to the final ten minutes I thought 'Rob you're doing a heck of a job here considering the baggage you have to overcome'. Then it happens…the new 'test audience' approved ending begins to unreel. Gone was Dr. Loomis coaxing Michael to spare his sister's life and when the smoke clears of a dozen police officers bullets hits a dead Michael Myers lay amongst with his doctor shedding a quiet tear over him. Now we are treated to an absolutely ludicrous extended hunt scene that has Michael literally bringing down the house in search of Laurie. Needless to say by the time the credits rolled in the space of ten or so minutes my jubilation had turn to disgust. I may put too much stock in endings but sometimes you have to draw a line. The whole 'test audience' thing needs to be abolished or at the very least renovated. They do not represent either the fans or the movie going public in general. I do hold the original very high it has been my favorite horror film for over twenty years and my love for 'The Devil's Rejects' and house of a 1,000 Corpses' was vast not to mention Zombie's music career. It's not Zombie's fault entirely. Most of the blame is at rest on the good old brothers Weinstein. They wanted to gear up a possible another run at a lucrative franchise. Lord knows they need it after botched nearly every release of the fledgling 'Weinstein Company'. It just amazes my some times how quickly things change. My favorite franchise has been left a smoldering husk and I think it is truly time for Michael to hang up his mask. A few producers need to call it quits too.

A Disgrace to Carpenter's original

Author: Dave (freaky_dave) from United States
7 September 2007

I read articles about the remake of Halloween. When I heard that Rob Zombie was going to direct, I decided to go see it even though many critics trashed it. That was a big mistake on my part because it's one of the worst horror movies I have ever seen, and a disgrace to the original.

Everybody knows the story of Halloween. Zombie follows the original story pretty much, but adds in a lot of unnecessary gore and harsh language that just didn't work. Harsh language and gore do not bother me if they are used in an appropriate way to move the story along and keep my interest. This remake does neither.

On top of all this, Zombie adds in an unnecessary back-story explaining why Michael Myers became what he did. This also was a big mistake because it humanizes Michael Myers and takes away much of what made Myers so menacing all those years ago. The feeling that Michael Myers was simply the embodiment of evil is not there anymore, and I found myself shaking my head in disgust instead of feeling uneasy. It doesn't help that the dialog during these scenes is some of the most atrocious I've ever heard. The actors are just as horrible, and there characters are never developed even slightly. Sure, Rob Zombie makes an effort to try and make them sympathetic, but falls flat. He really pushes to make us feel sympathy for Michael Myers, but I only found the kid who played him in his younger years to be aggravating. Even the presence of Malcolm McDowell as Sam Loomis is a total failure. I won't even talk about the girl who played Laurie Strode or her friends.

This remake is probably one of the worst I've ever seen. Yes there were a couple shocks (maybe two or so) but there was never any suspense or twists that grabbed me. I knew everything that was going to happen before it did. The gore was excessive, but as I've said so many times before, gore alone in a horror movie does not work. You need suspense and good characterizations as well. Rob Zombie's Halloween has none of this, and so it fails miserably. Is it the worse film I've ever seen? Not quite, but it is not too far off.

Don't Remake Classics!!!

Author: xCJWx from United Kingdom
15 September 2007

I wish they would make some original movies instead of constantly remaking(Badly!)classic films like this one.How many times do we have to pay to watch old movies remade and not even remade well just to fill cinema seats with people hoping to see upgraded versions of there favourite films.i was looking forward to seeing this film and was gutted to have to sit through utter garbage!Don't touch a tried and tested formula by giving pointless background info to a slasher.Michael Myers an escaped serial killer who's nuts that's it! Rent the original and enjoy.I would recommend looking up original John Carpenter films as They are class...

By far the worst remake in cinema history...

Author: hodwatt-20518 from Australia
5 March 2017

I might as well spoil everything that happens in this abomination disguised as a film because It'll save you an odd hour and 40 minutes of your life. Will I spoil the whole thing though? Let's just see what happens... Rob Zombie basically takes everything that made the original such a classic and flushes them down the toilet. It seems that Rob Zombie finds excessive swearing to be cool so he has every character drop the F bomb every 2 minutes. Now I'm not one of those people that gets all offended when people swear, in fact I myself love to swear, but it is so overused in this film that it just becomes sleazy and irritating. The movie is extremely violent, more so than the original, but that aspect did not bother me, however some of the death scenes in the film are so badly executed that they had me face palming. There is a scene where Michael Myers kills Laurie Strode's (step)father and it happens so fast that you hardly have a chance to even acknowledge what in the hell just happens. He just appears out of thin air and slashes his throat in literally 2 seconds flat, and you as the audience are like, "what in the hell just happened??" There is a gratuitous rape scene that was completely unnecessary and should not have been in the film at all. It seems as if Rob Zombie just put there for shock value. I don't have a problem with rape scenes in films, so long as they are relevant to the plot, which is definitely not the case here. I felt absolutely no sympathy for most of the victims. Michael's sister is a skank and Laurie's school friends are annoying, so it's actually a relief when they are killed off. Even Laurie Strode herself, who was a likable character in the original film who you cared about, is hard to feel any sympathy for. Do yourself a favour and skip this movie, I mean crapfest. To call this thing a 'movie' is insulting to movies.

Sometimes it's better to fear the unknown

Author: Casey Dillard
3 March 2012

I'm not always against remakes as a concept (some movies have benefited from them) and honestly, if a horror series was going to get a reboot, I would be rooting for Halloween, a series that started out so strong, but eventually fizzled a bit. However, this remake seemed tremendously mishandled.

To delve too much into Myer's back story is to rob us of one of the most frightening aspects of the character. The fact that we don't know why he does what he does or what makes him tick is erased when you make him an angry abused redneck child who wasn't allowed to go trick or treating. It also a common problem with Zombie's films that he tries for over-the-top dialog that doesn't mesh well with the gruesome action of the film.

Again, I'm not a "don't f*** with the original" purist, but I think this one would have best been left alone.

Rob Zombie should stick to making music horrible music.

Author: dmcbee1 from United States
5 February 2012

When I heard there was going to be a remake of the original Halloween I winced. Halloween is a special film that accomplished a lot for a horror film by being suspenseful and well paced.......This film is it's exact opposite.

The biggest problem with this film is that Rob Zombie's directing has the subtlety of a stick of dynamite. Michael Myers doesn't creep in the shadows; he moves chopping people up like a B movie horror villain. It's boring and predictable.

The next biggest problem is that this film has no real plot. It follows the pattern A. Lumis warns Michael is dangerous. B. No one believes him. C. Someone has sex. D. Michael kills the people having sex. E. Repeat.

I lost track of the number of sex scenes in this film. The only one that stuck out was the pointless and tasteless rape scene. Watch the original and save your time and money.