IMDb > Halloween (2007) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Halloween More at IMDbPro »

Page 3 of 104: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [Next]

Pure evil turns into anti-hero

Author: alucard617 from United States
21 October 2007

First of all, as a movie in general I though was less than average. As a remake, it was *beep* horrible. People will always say, "Oh this is a different movie, not the original, don't compare." It's a remake, how could you not *beep* compare First, I always had a problem with a back-story, Michael was pure evil without one. Michael was so evil because he had no reason to kill, he just did. He was pure evil in human form, there was no rhyme or reason for what he did. Okay, a back-story doesn't have to be terrible, but it answers nothing.

People say that this answers the question that had lurked in everyone's mind since the first 10 minutes of the original "Why is Michael the way he is." No it doesn't, at least not under the circumstances presented in the original. In that one, Michael has a nice and clean home with two well kept and fitting looking parents and a sister that seemed horny, but not a slut. In this one, the father is mysteriously dead and a filthy white trash piece of *beep* who has no respect for women, especially two very attractive ones, takes his place. The house is a decrepit place, the mother is a stripper, and it seems to be a white trash haven. Anyone can give a reason for Michael's rage in this way, just throw everything that was presented to the table in the original and put unoriginal stuff on it. The back-story itself is unoriginal and stupid.

The first 5 minutes already answer the question to Michael's rage, it's not drawing us in. Imagine the back-story starts with two clean and nice parents who are loving and in a nice home. That would be better because the audience will be engrossed with all these questions; "Whoa, what the hell, his life seems pretty nice. I wonder what will happen to make him evil." That is original and gets the audience interested right away because Myer's life seems perfect, but then an event happens and so on. In the remake, it looks like someone watched a documentary on serial killers and threw it in the movie. It's not original or new; it's used and boring. I wanted something that really surprises the audience about Michael and answers the question on his rage under the same circumstances as in the original, but in an unsuspecting and surprising manner.

All right, now for my biggest complaint in character development; Loomis. I remember in the original Loomis was a take charge type of guy who showed no mercy when he tried to find Michael. He never hesitated or gave up a chance to kill Michael because he knew he was pure evil. Loomis in this one calls Michael his best friend and is sympathetic to him. Then the next scene he is calling him pure evil and the anti-Christ. WTF. If Loomis thinks Michael is pure evil, why does he try to negotiate with him, hesitates to shoot him, and is remorseful towards him. The original had Loomis never resting till he found his evil patient. This one, he wastes time talking about his book and other crap. Especially in this one, Loomis should be more eager than ever since Michael kills 5 people as opposed to 1 as a child. People will say this Loomis is so much more caring and polite. Lets think for a second.; Loomis has spent 15 years of his life trying to get through Michael. He soon realizes Michael is pure evil and tries to get him transferred; People think he's an idiot and what happens? Myers escapes and they blame the whole thing on him. Would you be *beep* polite after all that and now you have a murderer on the loose and only you know how he works? I sure hell as wouldn't. Loomis in the original was more realistic, knew what he was dealing with, and took every chance he had to kill Myers before he kills anyone else.

Now let's look at the slasher himself; Michael Myers. They took a true and pure evil villain who tortured and murdered his whole family and made him into a sympathetic anti-hero who only wants to be with his sister Laurie. Michael never tries to kill Laurie in this one, at least not in general circumstances. Instead, he tries to be with her. Michael used to be a villain who stabbed and tried to strangle his sister, but now he's just a loving, but murderous, brother. The only times where he appears to want to kill her are times when he's reacting in anger, not evil. Michael used to be the villain everyone was rooting for to be killed: I still love the scene where Loomis shoots the hell out of Michael in the original. This one, Michael is not evil at all, just some misguided fool. I can't watch this feeling sorry for the villain.

The movie itself is used and boring; the stuff used from the original is rushed and a cheap knockoff in this one. The murders are rushed and someone gets killed every 2 seconds. My favorite kill in the first one was when Michael strangled to girl with the phone line because it looked so painful when she was gasping for air. This one, he just grabs and her and 2 seconds later she's dead. The murders and stabbing sounds are fake looking and sounding and the gore is way too exaggerated. One person gets stabbed one and then there are oceans of blood.

This movie was not scary in any shape or form and it ruined the image of Myers. No longer is he pure evil, but a misguided and sympathetic fool who just wants love. By the end of the movie, I had to watch the original to chafe the bad taste in my stomach from this one.

Author: diglers69 from Latvia
13 September 2007

Well... where should I start?

I was really excited when I heard about this remake coming out! Did I like it? No! And here are the reasons:

1) It claims to be a remake, but it's a totally different story! 2) It ain't a whole new concept though, because the original Halloween plot is used (and in a pretty bad way).. 3) It's SO not scary.. It can hardly be called a horror movie! 4) The pr-story about Michaels childhood is SO cheese and naive (it could have been a good drama, but it's not, because of trashy dialogs and cheep storyline) 5) I got bored in the middle of the movie. 6) If you make a remake, you risk with everyone going to compare it with the original, and in this case the Carpenters movie is so much better!

So, it ain't a horror movie and it' ain't a drama! You can't even call it a thriller! Just a week film, Zombie made, 'cause we all know he loves horror classics (just as much as we all do)! House Of 1000 Corpses was really great (allthough it's much of TCM concept used in it), still it's amazingly fresh and creepy! Halloween was not! Sorry, Rob~ 3 out of 10!

Rob Zombie - You ruined my childhood, you selfish little man.

Author: worldriot from Washington, DC
7 September 2007

And so it goes that Rob Zombie, great horror mastermind and irrelevant metal vocalist, takes on one of my personal favorites in the Hollywood horror genre and promptly reduces it to the value of a single piece of dog feces.

I rated this film a 4 not because it had much value, but that I simply could not bring myself to give it the rating it truly deserves - a zero. The film starts off in decent fashion, giving us insight into the mind of the childhood Michael Myers, yet the film fails to explain why exactly this background is even relevant. All I know is that the little kid cast as Michael in the film looked like he did more drugs than Sheri Moon, who played his mother. That's a lot of drugs. The only scenes he didn't looked completely stoned in were scenes in which he inexplicably appeared to gain 75 pounds in his face. An odd phenomenon, and one of the few pseudo-interesting things happening in this movie.

Aside from the blubber-faced stoner kid, we are treated to a girl cast as the heroine who literally begs the audience to hate her. The person who actually did the casting for this film must have had serious drug/alcohol issues to cast the little punk Scout Taylor-Compton as Laurie in this film. Not only does she display the single most annoying voice in the history of horror cinema, her character is one that I actually WANTED to see get beaten repeatedly with a blunt instrument. Her acting "skills" aside, her dress, her appearance, her character lines...all simply cried out "Please Michael, kill me for the pleasure of the audience". Unfortunately, like so many things in this movie, that wish is not delivered as Laurie survives through the entirety of this travesty of a film.

Terrible cast aside, let's look at key scenes that were omitted. The classic laundry room scene, the equally compelling scene where Tommy sees the "Boogey Man" carrying his victim around the neighboring house as he stares out the window....these classic scenes are totally gone. Scenes from the original that Rob did remake in the film are pointless, almost pathetic in their attempts to top the original scenes. And the fact that the film establishes Laurie is Michaels sister from the get-go is a terrible idea that completely erases the creepy "randomness" of Michaels attacks.

In closing, if you want to see a classic horror film, see the original Halloween. If you want to see a classic horror film get completely raped and pillaged, see Rob Zombies Halloween.

Not Worthy of the Title

Author: atlanticcanuck from Saint John, Canada
6 September 2007

I wanted to like this movie. I really did. I went in with an open mind. After all, it is not easy to remake a classic. Especially when the original Halloween was perfect. Nonetheless, this movie is a major disappointment. It starts off well enough, and I did enough the background of Michael. However, when it gets to present day, the story line skips through sections and you get the feeling of bad editing. Plus, all the jumping around leads to no character development and a group of teenagers we could care less about. To put in plainly, there is no suspense in this movie. Even though Zombie adds his own touch and scenarios to the story line, he never gives the audience a feeling of dread. Unlike the original, there are no moments of, "run'" "look out behind you" and all the edge of your seat stuff. It's just cut to scene, kids are killed, cut to next scene.

Even the cameos are wasted. Take the Spiderman movies for example. In each one, Bruce Campbell steals the scene he is in. This movie had countless cameos by some of the best in B movies and horror films. For the most part, none of them leave a mark.

At times this movie feels like a remake, at times a sequel, and at times a re-envisioning. Never does it feel like a good movie. definitely not worthy of the title.

SOOO Disappointing

Author: fryet from United States
20 September 2007

Let me start by saying that the original "Halloween" is by far my favorite horror flick ever. I have the original movie poster from 1978 framed and hanging in my basement. I'll also admit, I have the Michael Myers doll that plays the music. Huge fan. So, when I heard RZ was remaking this, I was a little peeved. Then I started to see some of the previews, and actually became excited about it. So, I DID go in with an open mind. The best way to sum this up, is that RZ COMPLETELY missed the point of what made Michael so scary in the first place. The fact that there WAS no reason, no conscience, no sense of ANYTHING. He was, and I quote, "purely and simply evil." He IS, in essence, the "boogyman". Trying to shove down my throat the fact that he became like that because his family was white trash is NOT scary. If I wanted to watch Jerry Springer, I would have stayed home. RZ if you read this, you need to realize that gore does not mean scary. It was not necessary in the 1978 original, yet that remains some 30 YEARS LATER the GREATEST horror movie of all time. What does that tell you????

An Abomination to horror films, or any film for that matter.

Author: matt_frisby from United States
31 August 2007

The first half an hour is almost unwatchable. Two people in the theater left and never came back. I have never felt the urge to leave a theater mid-movie but for some reason (my $5.00 or perhaps sheer boredom)I decided to stick it out.

I will admit the very ending where Michael is attacking his sister is not too bad. But overall, this movie suffers from horrendous acting, the poorest of poor character development, and a severe lack of creativity. Rob, please go back to making angry industrial rock.

Do not throw your money away nor fool yourself into thinking this may be just another bad remake. Instead, rent a 'real' horror movie like "May", "Feast", or "The Host" -Matt (A huge horror fan) P.S. I would rather watch a poorly produced marathon of "Freddy's Nightmare's on the Chiller network than have to undergo another viewing of this film. Blah!

A pointless, pitiful, pathetic excuse of a move!

Author: flumpman-1 from United Kingdom
4 September 2007

I was always sceptical about this movie being a huge fan of the JC original which has remained my number 2 favourite movie of all time for the past 15 years or so - and boy was I right to be! Rob Zombie, who I personally feel has directed two great horror movies with 1000 corpses and Devils Rejects, has completely and utterly ruined a classic movie! Yes I know he was never "remaking" the original and he was always planning on "re-telling" the story from a different perspective - but seriously Mr Zombie, why bother? All you have done is taken great characters and a great story and just made it into a useless, pointless piece of twaddle which should be locked away in movie hell forever! I think spending 55 minutes of movie time building up a character we already know was just stupid, I think making the likable main girl from the original into a foul mouthed, sex obsessed plank was just a waste of time and I think all of the random killings were just plain unnecessary! I award you 1 star Mr Zombie for this terrible movie and that is just because I liked that bit at the beginning where you froze young Michael Myers running away from school and played the classic Halloween theme tune - if you hadn't put that bit in you would get 0 stars! Rubbish!

I want my money back Mr. Zombie

Author: oh080100 from United States
1 September 2007

WTF WAS THAT!!! One Question Zombie did you watch the original, because you got it all wrong. You're not as famous and the original Halloween, so to take it and screw it like you did totally suck. You have just destroyed a classic. Anyone who gave this movie more that one full star is not a real Horror fans. Zombie's Michael Myers is a Fag, white trash boy looking for some attention. John Carpenter's Michael Myers lived in the suburbs; parents loved him, but he was taken over by evil "pure evil" the devil, he killed because of the rage in him.

Now I see why John Carpenter told "Zombie to make his own film, don't make the original" because he knew Zombie's Halloween would be a disappointment.

Sorry, but this movie will only get good reviews from ladies who want to have sex with Rob Zombie and men who don't have a clue like Zombie or want to have sex with him also.

Honestly, Zombie should be paying us to see this movie, "I want my money back, Mr. Zombie."

Don't waste your time going to see this movie, because $4.25 is way to much. Go have a value meal; you'll be a lot more satisfied.

It felt like watching two movies... and they both sucked!

Author: marcus_stokes2000 from Italy
4 September 2007

On HalloweeN night, 1978, 10-year-old Michael Myers (Daeg Ferch) kills his abusive stepfather (William Forsythe), a bully who taunted him, his sister Judith (Hanna Hall) and her boyfriend.

Only survivors are his stripper mom Deborah (Sheri Moon Zombie) and infant sister, 'Boo', who weren't in the ONLY TRASH HOUSE IN A LILY WHITE NEIGHBORHOOD.

He ends up at Smith's Grove Asylum and begins to meet with Dr. Samuel Loomis (Malcolm McDowell), who seems to have been turned into some kind of Gale Weathers ripoff, who was also his school psychiatrist, various times, so much that Loomis feels they are best friends (EW).

15 years later (or more? There are so many anachronisms), a magically ginormous Michael Myers (Tyler Mane) escapes from Smith's Grove, and kills, kills, kills... oh, did I forget that he also kills? Laurie Strode (Scout Taylor-Compton) (three guesses on who she is and no, the first two do not count), Annie Brackett (Danielle Harris) and Lynda Van Der Klok (Kristina Klebe), are making plans for HalloweeN night, but they are all invited to a KILLER party...

OK, first thing on, people who say that this is better than the original are complete and utter MORONS. Each and everyone of them. I'm THROUGH with being understanding and forgiving! Secondly, Rob Zombie is a cheater and a hack! The first part of his movie looks like parts of 'Devil's Reject' and 'House Of 1000 Corpses' I saw on Youtube, and it is utterly ridiculous.

It seemed Rob Zombie had mistaken 'HalloweeN' with 'Carrie', what with his trying to make us feel compassionate for Michael... hey, Rob, the two movies have both PJ Soles in it, but the resemblance STOPS THERE. OK? The second part is even worse; Michael without any reason kills Laurie's parents, without any reason kills Paul, without any single reason doesn't kill Annie... you guessed it.

If he wanted Laurie, why would he kill all the others (including Lynda and Bob)? Why did he kill Paul? If his objective was to be rid of anyone else in Laurie's life, he should've killed ANNIE. SHE IS LAURIE'S BEST FRIEND. PAUL ISN'T LAURIE'S BOYFRIEND, ROB ZOMBIE! YOU MORON! I have been really offended by Rob Zombie's idea to bring Paul in only to have him killed in place of Annie, and by his idea of bringing Laurie's parents in only to kill them is even more unforgivable.

Laurie, Annie and Lynda were so annoying I didn't care about them, Paul was a little better than them, so I really got offended when he died stupidly like that, I hated Loomis' death, I detested the ending, I really abhor the new 'human' Michael Myers, and am aghast at how the IMBECILE American audience gobbled up this putrid (even the way it's filmed looks dirty) prequel/remake/reinvention/whatever!

I hope that Dimension stays true to its word and NO SEQUELS TO THIS ABOMINATION.

The fact of it existing is already a Hostel-like torture to anyone who has good taste.

HalloweeN (2007): 1/10. (I hope I could give it even LESS).

More white trash from Zombie

Author: lindyfralin from United States
4 September 2007

Okay, I really like Rob Zombie. But enough is enough already. The white trash angle he does in all of his movies is beat now, & the basic core of actors he works with in all of his films is getting old.

I love Sheri, Bill, Sid, etc. The trash and cast worked great with House Of a Thousand Corpses. (I really liked that movie) Devils rejects fine. But it didn't work for me in Halloween & the cast took me out of the movie repeatedly.

Hey, there's Captain Spaulding, oh look it's Sheriff Wydell!! Anyhoo, You can break this movie up into two parts.

The first half tries to explain why Michael Myers kills. The young, abused Myers if you will. The crazy family doesn't love me spin we've seen countless times before.

The second half is basically the original Halloween revamped for guys who like hip mtv style visuals, blood, boobs & wrestling. With characters so unlikeable and annoying you really can't wait till they die.

As far as scares go, this movie has none. Gone are the stealthy, creative kills we got from the original. That boogeyman could be anywhere vibe which made Michael so scary doesn't show up here.

Instead, we get a gigantic member of Slipknot slashing his way through people we could care less about because all we really know about them is that they like to have sex.

Terrible Halloween movie aside, I would love to see Rob do a movie minus the trash and usual cast.You could say it's his style, but it's getting old & predictable in my book. Halloween would have been the perfect opportunity to break away from this.