IMDb > "Power Rangers DinoThunder" (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"Power Rangers DinoThunder"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"Power Rangers DinoThunder" More at IMDbPro »

Great series from start to finish.

Author: Joel (Tenchi64589@aol.com) from Flower Mound, Texas
20 November 2004

I had nothing but good things to say about this Power Rangers series.

I'll admit that the first two episodes confused me, and that the White Ranger spell kind of wore on too long... but otherwise, this was cool.

It was also great seeing Tommy back in action... one of the originals for those of you that have never seen the show.

Every single episode was just so well-done. What more can I say?

I'll tell ya something else: gotta love Kira's songs and that opening theme!

And as for ranger team-ups and endings: some of the best, I think it sums it up nicely.

10 out of 10 in this veteran Power Ranger fan's opinion.

Fun Rediscovered

Author: Jessica from FL
23 February 2004

I stopped watching Power Rangers when I was 11 or 12, and it became Zeo Power Rangers. The return of Tommy and the dinosaurs zords, I have new found love of it. I admit I'm somewhat embarrassed by my newly rediscovery of my love of Power Rangers at the age of 19. However, I love getting to relive my childhood.

The closest thing to a genuinely serious, contemporary Power Rangers show that can be enjoyed by audiences older than 5 years old.

Author: gothamite27 from Dublin, Ireland
19 September 2007

I (like most other people my own age) grew up with the original Power Rangers series and lost interest soon after Zeo, when Tommy and the rest of them left. I came back into it a few times over the years, when my younger brothers got into it as all kids do, but overall, it faded into my childhood and I always dismissed it as something that couldn't truly be enjoyed by someone older than 5 years old.

I found out recently that Jason David Frank (the legendary green, white and red Ranger from the first five seasons) returned as the 'mentor' character in Power Rangers: Dino Thunder. I decided to check out an episode, purely for the entertainment value of getting to see my old favourite get back into action. Funnily enough, I found myself enjoying it more than I thought I would and between downloads and DVDs, I ended up acquiring nearly a third of the whole series.

My thoughts? Well, it's still pretty silly. All of the exaggerated motions, the over-acting and the campiness one would expect from a Power Rangers show is all present, but for some reason it's toned down immensely. The main villain Mesogog, is dead-serious and so is his henchman Zeltrax. Neither of these characters are ever viewed as comic relief. Also, the Rangers are more three-dimensional than ever before. Instead of being a group of pure, wholesome best friends that constantly get straight As, the three main Rangers are a group of misfits: the jock, the alternative singer and the neurotic geek. The show actually shows them develop into true friends and better people over the course of thirty or so episodes, something that would be unheard of in the one-dimensionality of earlier series'.

The return of Tommy Oliver to the Power Rangers universe is just the icing on the cake. If this show wasn't as good as it was, it wouldn't have worked as well, but luckily, this was the perfect show to have Tommy come back to guide a new team. Tommy's character is slightly darker than the wholesome, gushy character we saw years ago. Tommy is well-versed in the kind of trials and tribulations that Power Rangers face, so he acts as a teacher to the younger, newer Rangers. Then of course, to please the fans, Tommy gets his own morpher and Powers early on in the series and becomes the Black Ranger (as cool as he's ever been).

The acting is somewhat above-par from what you'd usually expect from a Power Rangers show, but that's not to say that it's in any way decent. Frank plays the part he played for years well enough, Emma Lahana is fine as the spunky chick and Kevin Duhaney makes a decent nerd. Unfortunately, James Napier isn't exactly stellar as Connor McKnight and the Australian actor's American accent is horrible. It's as if he watched a western once, years ago, and based his accent off that. Throughout the series, evidence of his true heritage pops out blatantly in mid-speech, to the point where one wonders why he even bothers trying with the accent.

Overall, this series is a lot of fun and isn't nearly as garish and offensive as other Power Ranger incarnations. Definitely one for all the family to watch.

Pretty Good

Author: Christopher Smith
19 June 2004

I was a huge fan of the original MIGHTY MORPHIN' POWER RANGERS and all of its follow-ups when I was younger, but I stopped watching the show after POWER RANGERS IN SPACE. One day this year, I was watching TV and a commercial came on for a new POWER RANGERS show. I have to admit it looked pretty cool, but what really caught my attention was seeing Jason David Frank, aged 7 years since he was last in a POWER RANGERS series, making a return to television to play Dr. Thomas Oliver. "Tommy," as I will always remember him, was a fan-favorite and the leader of the older POWER RANGERS teams. I was curious about this show, so I watched the premiere, and it was a great show. The next episode was a clip show comemmorating the Power Rangers 500th episode! Anyway, I started to watch the show, and it turned out to be a very well-done show. It also made me feel very "nostalgic" after watching myself wake up early on a Saturday morning to catch the newest episode of POWER RANGERS. POWER RANGERS DINO THUNDER is a great show, but not as good as the original MIGHTY MORPHIN' POWER RANGERS.

Dino Thunder, Power Up! Great start!

Author: Ryojin20 from Scottsdale, AZ
14 March 2004

I've seen episodes of Abaranger before Dino Thunder premiered and I wondered how Dino Thunder was going to be like Americanized. And after hearing that Tommy (Jason David Frank) one of the greatest rangers ever was going to be in it, I was really excited and looking forward for the premiere. Dino Thunder has gotten off on an amazing start. It's greatly remixing dinosaur concept and putting its own rhythm to it making a great story. Tommy is back as the black ranger and teacher to the three new rangers and possesses stealth powers. The new rangers are awesome as well. Connor the red ranger (James Napier) is a proficient Soccer Player and has incredible speed powers. Ethan the blue ranger (Kevin Duhaney) is a expert gamer and has the power to activated a special dino skin shield. And Kira the yellow ranger (the beautiful and cute Emma Lahana) is a talented musician and has the power to emit powerful scream waves. I've seen pictures of the white dino thunder ranger and the Triassic ranger and they look awesome, can't wait to seem them on the show. Hayley (Islay Johnston) is a great ally to the ranger, and cute as well! There are also funny characters as well. Like Cassidy Cornell (Katrina Devine) as Reefside High's school reporter. It's cool to see Katrina Devine in another ranger series after she was in Power Rangers Ninja Storm. The villains are great as well; Mesogog has the quiet evil, which makes him scarier and more threatening. Elsa is pretty treacherous as well like Scorpina from Mighty Morphing, Trakeena from Lost Galaxy, Nadira from Time Force, and Toxica from Wild Force. Dino Thunder is truly a great series and has such a strong connection to the Power Rangers history. It has a great story, awesome fight sequences, and amazing Zords. A promising new series indeed.

Dino Rangers rock!

Author: superstevefolger38-2 from Mechanicsville, MD USA
19 May 2004

Yes! So far, DinoThunder is rocking and the action sequences and storyline have improved over past Power Ranger seasons. With the return of Tommy as the Black Dino Ranger, he's also the science teacher at Reefside High School and mentor to three students: Conner (Red Ranger, Ethan (Blue Ranger) and Kira (Yellow Ranger). The historical 500th episode which was PRDT's 4th episode, had Tommy's video diary of his Power Ranger past and other Ranger teams are revealed. Power Rangers DinoThunder is so far doing its best. The evil White Ranger has just been recently revealed and the Rangers are having a hard time to have him join their team as they also fight against the menacing Mesosgog and his minions Zeltrax, Elsa and their foot soldiers called Tyrannodrones. The action never loses it, but some episodes get lame sometimes. I can't wait to see the Triassic Ranger next.

it should have continued another season

Author: lisawea from United States
22 October 2007

This could have easily been a two season title. It had action, suspense, conflict, and main character growth and interaction. save for a few choppy action sequences all of the above were stronger than I've seen in these series before. (I watched MMPR thru time force for those who want to know.)They didn't exactly start out with everyone being best friends; The main characters started out as strangers and became friends, I guess, over time.

To me this is the best since space. I may have watched lost galaxy and rescue but not with such enthusiasm as I watched this. evil white ranger was awesome and Tommy's return, both to the show and as a ranger (two separate episodes: well done) was skillfully executed. the dialog was above par and hilarious in some points. I particularly like the line "good guys don't wear white". He apparently forgot that Tommy was a Good white ranger. But that's a very minor goof.

The problem is that none of the plot lines or, really, the characters were given ample room to develop. There were many unanswered questions and nothing leading up to the revelations, which is something even lightspeed rescue had: hints and a backline.

Now that being said let me ask a question: was there a reason plot points of an episode were revealed in the opening credits of the episode? the opening credits are at the beginning; they shouldn't have shown who the alter-egos were (elsa/randall etc) until the next episode after it was revealed in the show.

Why has every single title since MMPR only lasted one season? Is that some kind of un-written rule? Space was awesome and I was sad to see it go but it had run it's course. this felt rushed and absolutely cut short before it's time. poor job on that.

Good to see Frank back..

Author: Titanicmariner from Buffalo, N.Y.
2 September 2004

Pretty bad to admit this, but my daughter and I used to watch the original Power Rangers together. We quit watching Power Rangers after Zeo Rangers because none of the other actors or story lines really captured our interest. Recently, when I had free time early in the morning, I happened to be going through the channels for something to do and saw an episode of DinoThunder with Jason Frank in it. Well, of course I told my daughter(16), and she wanted to see it and asked me to tape it. Now we tape it every morning to watch together at night. We like DinoThunder, but the original Power Rangers was the best. Actually, I don't know if I should be happy or sad for J.D.F. It's great he's back as a Power Ranger, but in something like 10 years in acting he's -still- a Power Ranger! Poor guy, isn't there something meatier for him!

Good Power Ranger Series

Author: Terryfan from United States
13 August 2015

Now by this time I was out of Power Rangers the last series I watch in full was "Power Rangers In Space". I fell out of Power Rangers for a lot of reasons.

But out of boredom I thought I would check out Power Rangers Dino Thunder. Turn out to be a interesting series and take of the Power Ranger Series. Plus it was interesting to have Jason David Frank return as Tommy the former Green and White Ranger.

The Power Rangers Dino Thunder Team: Conner McKnight, the Red Dino Ranger and Triassic Ranger (James Napier) Ethan James, the Blue Dino Ranger (Kevin Duhaney) Kira Ford, the Yellow Dino Ranger (Emma Lahana). These three started off as the first team of Rangers they are later join by Dr. Tommy Oliver, the Black Dino Ranger (Jason David Frank) and Trent Fernandez, the White Dino Ranger (Jeffrey Parazzo) who original started off as evil before reform and joins the Rangers.

They must battle against Mesogog (Latham Gaines) the main antagonist along with his minions Elsa (Miriama Smith) Zeltrax (Voiced by James Gaylyn) and with the help for a few episodes from evil White Dino Ranger Clone (Voiced by Adam Gardiner). Mesogog plot is to return the Earth to the days of the Dinosaurs and it is up to the Power Rangers to stop him. At times they also get help from Hayley Zikto (Ismay Johnston)

Some of my favorite episodes are "Day of the Dino", "Wave Goodbye", "Legacy of Power", "Back in Black", "White Thunder" "Truth and Consequences", "Burning at Both Ends","The Missing Bone", "Fighting Spirit", "Thunder Storm", "In Your Dreams", "Thunder Struck"

The series provide that same feel that the original Power Rangers Series had and this one actually had some good characters. Also the fight scenes were pretty intense and well thought out also unexpected at times as well.

Power Rangers Dino Thunder just bring something to the table to make it a hit with fans of the series. So if you're a long time fan of Power Rangers check out Power Rangers Dino Thunder you'll be surprise by this series.

A Special Treat for All the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Fans

Author: kiti22
28 March 2014

if any Ranger Fan is looking for a Great Power Rangers Season like Time Force, In Space, RPM this is for all the MMPR Fans

Dino Thunder is Everything a Ranger Fan Could Ask For Much Better Than MMPR Season 3 and Lightspeed Rescue and Ninja Strom

the Theme Song was Epic, The Zords are Awesome, Tommy is Back on This Season and hes still the best ranger of all time

Dino Thunder has a great Selection Of Episodes like "the Passion of Conner" and "White Thunder" Parts 1 - 3

"Fighting Spirit" is another Tommy centered classic that features him fighting his previous ranger incarnations (sans Red Turbo).

Then of course, there's "Thunder Storm", Parts 1 and 2, the first crossover episode since Wild Force and it's definitely one of the best! Some great fights, both unmorphed and morphed as well as it's refreshing to see two ranger teams fight each other before the team up.

If the season had any weakness it would be Cassidy and Devin, the Bulk and Skull of the season (there a little bit annoying than Marah and Kapri), The Jokes are a Bit Corny.

the season finale, "Thunder Struck", Parts 1 and 2 is pretty Epic. There are some awesome moments throughout Part 1, especially Conner's fight with the Tyrannodrones on top of a truck but the final fight with Mesogog left so much to be desired, especially considering how strong of a villain he was but it's still an action packed episode and like all great shows it finished on a song.

Dino Thunder was a HUGE step up from Ninja Storm, with the writers giving us a dark yet fun year for the franchise. The writing was fresh and engaging, Tommy made for a great mentor, and the characters were really fleshed out nicely! Still couldn't get use to the CGI zords but the Dinozords had their moments. Overall, great season, definitely what the fans make it out to be!

Way Better than Lightspeed Rescue&Samurai/Super Samurai