IMDb > "1-800-Missing" (2003) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
"1-800-Missing"
user reviewsexternal reviewsawardsuser ratingsmessage board

"1-800-Missing" More at IMDbPro »

a disappointing second season

Author: blanche-2 from United States
19 September 2004

I really enjoyed both this series and Wild Card when they debuted last year.

Both series were completely revamped for their second seasons. While I don't feel Wild Card has suffered that much for the changes, I am very disappointed in what they've done to Missing, aka 1-800-Missing (poor show, it didn't even get to keep its title).

For some reason, probably just chemistry, the teaming of Caterina Scorsone and Gloria Reuben worked better than does Scorsone and Viveca Fox. The idea this year, apparently, was to make the series more intense, with Scorsone's character becoming FBI. Gone are her family and all the things that gave this series a lighter touch. Also, the visions seem less integral to the story lines.

I think my biggest gripe is the theme song is gone. I just loved the old one "This dream is real...take a look around..." It had a more lyrical quality - but then, so did the show.

Caterina Scorsone is amazing as Jess Mastriani

Author: Robb Mavins (robb_mavins@shaw.ca) from Winnipeg, Manitoba
12 September 2003

I just had a chance to watch the pilot episode and Caterina Scorsone is amazing as Jess Mastriani, I sincerely hope this show gets a long run. The interplay between the characters is well crafted and I very easily bought into the premise. There was something about the understated & matter of fact way that Caterina Scorsone delivers her character's gift that works well for `suspension of disbelief'

It was also a joy to see Alberta Watson playing a mom, she scared the heck out of me when she played Madeline from `Nikita'. Writer Producers Davis & Laurin deliver great characters. I hope that this show us given a chance to build an audience.

Should have kept the original cast

Author: shells500 from Los Angeles
1 August 2004

I watched every episode the first season and enjoyed the mentoring of Jess by Brooke. Gloria Reuben brought maturity and nuance to her character.

Unfortunately, this season is almost unbearable to watch with the absolutely horrible acting by Vivica Fox. Her character is simply not believable as a senior FBI agent (at least not in the way she "acts" it). The secondary storyline of Fox's character with the hunky Mark Consuelos is also a bit contrived. Thank God for the over the top abrasiveness of their new supervisor (played to perfection by Justin Louis). The new supporting cast overall is good, but is not an improvement over the first season's. I'm giving it a couple more episodes before I give up on it.

Excellent

Author: james_whitehouse1 from United Kingdom
3 August 2007

This show had consistently compelling story lines and a great cast. While it was never going to break the mould, it was a show that I looked forward to watching each week. Caterina Scorsone was particularly good in the lead role, with Justin Louis and Vivica Fox in particular also giving fine performances. I'm not sure why the previous reviewer didn't like the new cast; I prefer them to season one.

It's a great shame it got cancelled when it did. The writers had just started introducing more elements of a Season story arc format which was lifting the show to a new level of interest, and the character's lives were becoming more three-dimensional and interesting than in previous seasons. It was also left on something of a cliffhanger, which is annoying to say the least. Since ratings were consistently high, it seems an odd decision to cease production. If it's not going to be re-scheduled, which in my opinion it should be, Sony could at the very least release Seasons 1 and 3 on DVD.

Not like the books, but similar enough

Author: LadyArwyn from Washington State
9 August 2003

I read the teen book series on which this new TV series was based, and am a bit disappointed in the show. The four books could have provided at least four good episodes to start off (or even more), but were largely ignored.

The series, which premiered on Lifetime Channel on August 2, 2003, skips most of the events in the book, leaving out the father and barely touching on her mentally ill brother, completely ignoring her long battle against the FBI and the team of psychics she eventually works with at the very end of the book series.

So, the show is only vaguely related to the books. Yes, she is a psychic who gained her powers after being hit by lightning and finds missing people in her dreams. But don't expect to see anything from the books.

Casting for the main character is good, any other casting is immaterial since none of the other characters from the book are in the series.

It is unclear if they intend her to be the high school student she was in the books, or if she is college age (as is stated in the series, which may have just been a smartass comment and not her "real age").

Overall, the new series is worth watching, if you like psychic cop shows. If you liked Profiler, you will probably like 1-800-Missing. It has a similar feel, with a *much* younger heroine.

Excellent

Author: angel-kayl from United Kingdom
27 February 2006

i cant believe people can say this show is unwatchable, its amazing. i love it and cant wait to see the next episodes. the actors are amazing and they make you feel like you are actually there. the girls are sexy and the men are handsome, what else do you want. in case you haven't watched it, its about a girl who was struck by lightening and now has visions about people who need help. she is now a FBI agent and uses her visions to help her. the story line sounds corny but trust me it is 1,000 times better when you watch it. if you are in the UK it is on living TV at 3 and 4. A MUST WATCH. if you like it when you have seen it, there are books which are just as good.

Lost a Fan

Author: dec31_1959 from Lethbridge, AB, Canada
27 November 2004

I watched a few episodes of the second season and I have to say I miss our Canadian, Gloria Reuben A LOT. And what the heck did they do to Jess' hair?? Come ON !!! The character of Jess seems to have grown up and away from us in one season, I miss the old Jess ! Vivica Fox is okay, but she just doesn't have the elan, or the edge that Gloria Reuben brought to the show so I stopped watching. Bring back the old cast !! We miss them !! What the heck happened to Jess' family and Sonny, and the rest of the cast? We loved Sonny !! It was a nice thought to give Jess her own show but I think she needs the chemistry that the rest of the cast brought to "1-800-Missing".

"Missing" is like a really bad spin off of "1-800-Missing". It was a nice try, but REWIND and try again !!!

Missing Jumped the Shark

Author: roxana_libio from United States
9 July 2007

I liked the first season a lot better than the second.

Vivica A. Fox was good in Two Can Play That Game but the jeans and heels attire took the integrity off her character in Missing and now even Caterina Scorsone is dressing the same! You can look older without looking trashy.

It could be that there is no 4th season due to the writing/directing but I had no complaints when Gloria Reuben was FBI agent Nicole Scott. I was hoping Gloria Reuben would replace Marianne Jean-Baptiste on Without a Trace but I was only disappointed, yet again, with the addition of Roselyn Sanchez.

Is there anything good left to watch?

missing

Author: helenlouise_jk from United Kingdom
25 February 2006

I am from the UK myself and i can't say that i even noticed it was called 1-800 missing or whatever in the first series! I agree that the theme song was really good but I am actually getting into this one now - the lyrics grow on you! I guess they had to change it - partly because it was Gloria R. who sang the 1st seasons and they got rid of her. I was angry at first that they changed all the actors as i loved the first series but i must say that i love this one too. It has a new freshness to it and i love the actors - especially v. fox - i think I just like the show for different reasons now. I am glad they changed it as I don't think it would have lasted had they kept it like it was. I like how we saw Jess's character grow up a bit and change. I love both seasons 1, 2 - and season 3. although i must say I don't know what It will be like if Antonio is actually dead as is mentioned in some of the US sites I have read - I haven't yet seen it in the UK.I love the chemistry between him and Nicole!

season 2 disappointing

Author: valjung
20 May 2010

I enjoyed season 1. I like Gloria Reuben, the character of Sunny and her boyfriend Hunter, not to mention her interaction with her brother and her mother. Than I went to Season 2. I'm sorry, I like Vivica Fox, but she looks like a drag queen. The boss guy is a super jerk, even more so than Mr. Tori Spelling, and while I enjoyed Mark Conselous on All my Children, his character on here is boring. I just started watching the series on Netflix. I am on episode 3 of Season 2 and the acting is so bad and I find myself nodding off. At least I get to see Jess now on Private Practice doing brain surgery. I too watched Charmed, Medium and Bones, but you replace a whole cast with the most boring people you can find, than you have no show. I was also wanting to see what was gonna happen tween Gloria's character and Rick Fox. Oh well.