IMDb > Batman Begins (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Batman Begins

Batman Begins More at IMDbPro »

Page 8 of 267: [Prev][3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [Next]

Excellent

Author: bowrus from Norway
31 October 2006

What a movie,they who have made this movie has got an excellent idea about "The dark" man. The other batman movies i did not like,but this is the best "cartoon movie" ever!

So if you did not like the other movies like me,i highly recommend this film,can't wait to the next film comes to the store!'

The plot is genial,i can't understand how the other crappy movies has been made,and P.Bateman is The Batman him self,wounder about who is playing Robin in the next movie.

At the end i will also say that this movie are not for kids,scared the hell out of me,and i am a more Saw 1,2 and 3 lover!

Batman has truly begun!

Author: daniel-johnston from United Kingdom
13 April 2006

To start off this review I'd like to go back to the original batman series. Adam West hammed it up in what has to be the campest yet enjoyable version of batman. It was cheesy, it had the POW, WHACK, KABOOM, very very tongue-in-cheek which, brings me to my next point, is what batman eventually became. Batman, featuring Michael Keaton was a good film, keaton was a good batman, he portrayed the dark knight to a whole new army of fans, a darker batman, less camp, plus with a villain such as Jack Nicholson (turning in another great performance) as the Joker it was win win. Where from there? A sequel, Keaton yet again, Batman Returns, not as good as its predecessor but still a thoroughly enjoyable film with the villains being Penguin (Devito) and Catwoman (Pfeiffer) adding something different to the batman series. All is going well, then things start to go sour. Keaton is gone and in comes Kilmer who has to be the most wooden Batman ever, in come the clichés, the tongue in cheek one-liners and so on but Batman still has some credibility until, dare I mention it, Batman & Robin. This ruined the Batman series with Clooney just being the eye-candy for the ladies, the addition of Batgirl (oh dear Lord) and the villains just coming out with the most tongue-in-cheek one liners ever, example Mr Freeze "You're not sending me to the cooler", wrong, oh so wrong. Something had to be done and this was Batman Begins. This film rescues the Batman series single-handedly, it's a shame it didn't start off this way as it might not of died on it's rear. Bale is an inspired choice as Batman bringing a more serious side to Batman, the story is well paced, it's not all talk or just mind-numbing action, it actually keeps you gripped as you want to find more about Bruce Wayne's past. The only reason it misses out on a 10 is the quite pitiful bad guy scarecrow If you've not seen it I don't want to give too much away about the story but throw away all your perceptions about Batman because Batman is back and Batman has truly begun. D-man.

Finally a real superhero

Author: gallacherross from United Kingdom
9 April 2006

This film is by far the best superhero film to date with maybe the exception of V For Vendetta. It is a fantastic reinvention of the genre none the less. Christian Bale is absolutely brilliant in this he owns Batman in this film he shows how Bruce Wayne became Batman and shows the emotions behind his crusade. He makes Bruce Wayne the main character not Batman. This realism is what makes the film so revolutionary it is by far the most realistic superhero film I have ever seen. Batman doesn't defy the laws of physics, Gotham isn't an over blown fantasy it looks as it could really exist in the states and the villains aren't fake people there real criminals. The cast is brilliant and its not dominated by American's with the exception of Holmes and Freeman. The main cast, the major characters are all British/Irish brilliant actors none the less. The writing in this tale is also masterful as it is heavily influenced by Frank Miller and other Batman comics. This is a film you need to see however you can.

All about Bale.

Author: whitecp2 from United States
15 February 2006

This movie is truly inspiring to us Batman fans out there. It's hard to believe that Christian Bale once weighed 130 lbs for one role and then shot up to 220 lbs, before trimming down to 190 lbs for Batman. This man is truly devoted to his work and it shows. Just look at certain interviews about how he portrays the character Bruce Wayne. It's almost as if Christian Bale does research and takes notes on Batman before he starts acting the part out. He makes all the right moves because he surrounds himself with a great group of actors. We can all relate to Bruce Wayne's character in some way and this is where we can thank Bale. Who else could've done it better? BATMAN IS BACK THANKS TO Christian BALE! I just hope the best is yet to come and he sticks with this role.

And i thought the Combination of Tim Burton and Michael Keaton was as good as its gonna get?

Author: mjw2305 from England
13 February 2006

I loved Batman and Batman Returns, Tim Burton's direction and Michael Keaton's Batman were really good, and seemed to be the best we were ever going to get.

I'm glad to say that i was wrong, Christopher Nolan has taken the character of Batman to the very beginning, fleshing out the characters of both Bruce Wayne and Batman down to the finest details. Nolan's use of realism in the creating the Batman character makes him more believable than ever.

Christian Bale quite simply personified the character of Bruce Wayne/Batman and actually puts everyone else's portrayal in the shadows. Bale is supported by a wonderful cast, including Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Katie Holmes, Gary Oldman, Morgan Freeman and more, but i found Cillian Murphy's performance as Dr. Jonathon Crane to be one of the finest in the movie.

Overall Batman begins is an very honest, detailed and compelling adaptation of the Batman character, that is worthy of the recognition it has received. For Bat fans and movie lovers alike; this is a must see.

Best Batman Movie Yet!

Author: The_Wagon from United States
12 February 2006

I loved this movie. Everything was good! There were only a few boring parts. The Batmobile looked dumb, but who cares? This movie was good! I didn't think this movie looked too good when I saw the preview, but I was wrong. This is the best superhero movie since Spider-Man 2. There's action and everything! This is a must-see movie. It's long, but it's not one of those movies where you think "God, this is long! When will it end?" It's long in a good way. If you're a fan of Batman, you'll love this movie. I'm glad it's on the top 250 movies. That's where it needs to be. It's got a good storyline too. I give Batman Begins two thumbs up.

I've never had a thing for Batman films. I can't wait until the next one!

Author: joppecb from Netherlands
15 December 2005

I've never had a thing for Batman films. I watched the cartoons when I was about 8. That was alright. Nothing special though. And not to forget...I was only 8. I always thought batman is just not one of those things for me.

This film however has changed my mind. I can't wait until the next one! Christopher Nolan presented an almost believable story in this 2:20 hour blockbuster movie. I especially liked the way Nolan described the fear of bats Wayne develops in his youth and the way his father was a big influence in his life. Casting was very good... Normally I would have given an 8 for this film, but because it was able to totally change my mind about the batman theme i think it really deserves a bit higher. That's why 9/10!!

Good direction for future installments

Author: Jakub Oslak (Eliks) from Warsaw, Poland
2 August 2005

After Batman & Robin I have not counted that I would see anything worse (or better for that matter) with Batman on the big screen. And, surprise surprise, here it is - a good Batman movie, with great Christian Bale as Bruce W., and fantastic Gary Oldman as Jim Gordon (he finally got a positive character, that nut). And it's just the top of the great names here, followed by Rudger Hauer, Morgan Freeman, and Michael Caine as Alfred.

The movie itself is much more comics-faithful than any previous part. It's dark and bleak, although not that sinister as Batman comics can be (especially from the post-Frank Miller era). We finally can have a good look on Gotham and how vast it is. I didn't like though the bad guys, one of which is a loser with a bag on his head, and the other a former Jedi master, who also happened to train Bruce Wayne in martial arts. Overall, a great entertainment foreseeing even better next parts.

The start of something truly spectacular.

Author: bobsgrock from United States
18 July 2008

This is certainly, without question the best Batman film ever made, although that isn't saying much. Christopher Nolan makes this into a very dark and brooding tale that tells more about Bruce Wayne than Batman, something the other movies would never have done. Nolan is a great director and he takes a great leap of faith by showing perhaps the most important screen superhero in such a way that the city of Gotham and its components don't feel like taken from a comic book, but from real life. Batman Begins is based more on graphic novels and the original characters by Bob Kane, so the realism and details are there without all the fluff and showboating Joel Schumacher would have put out. Christian Bale is perfect as the title character and he creates a more interesting Bruce Wayne than Batman only because we see more of Wayne in this installment. All other roles are perfectly cast, especially Liam Neeson as a mysterious yet intelligent and brutal member of the League of Shadows. Katie Holmes is nice and sweet as Wayne's childhood friend, and there will never be another Alfred as long as Michael Caine resides.

Simply put, Batman Begins is worth the time and money. It pulls you into a world you would never expect to see in a Batman movie, than transports you to Gothan City, the rotting core of it mostly. When we do get a glimpse of Batman, it really is quite different than other interpretations. The action here is based more on suspense than violence and the plot moves along quite well to make this movie feel shorter than its 140 minute running time. So, if you are going to see The Dark Knight this weekend, be sure to check this out first. Indeed, if it is anything like this one, this franchise is going somewhere truly spectacular.

The Best Superhero Film of the Decade ... so far

Author: Jack Blackburn (blackburnj-1) from England
5 June 2008

There is a moment towards the climax of "Batman Begins" which illustrates why this film is an exceptional superhero flick. During a stunning car chase sequence, Batman (aka Bruce Wayne), our hero, crushes a number of police cars, at the very least injuring a number of policemen. Once Bruce Wayne returns home, he is reprimanded for showboating by his loyal butler, Alfred. In this sequence, the strengths of the film are neatly summed up. An exciting chase sequence is mixed with ambiguity surrounding our protagonist with questions raised over what is necessary for good to triumph. Indeed, at some points during this film, we are left asking what is good and whether it is triumphing at all. In short, this film merges superb action, clever character work and intelligent moral and philosophical questions all the way through with perfect balance.

During a decade where the box-office has been stuffed with super-heroics of all shapes and sizes, this film remains the best super-hero film of the decade, with the only imminent challenger to that crown seemingly being its own sequel. Even the "Spider-Man" films, which together with the "X-Men" films can lay claim to starting the major revival of the genre, are able to beat this. But the comparisons are strong and the influences upon each other even stronger. "Spider-Man" arrived in 2002 and boasted strong character work as well as blockbuster action sequences. "Batman Begins" was deep into production when "Spider-Man 2" arrived in cinemas in 2004 with even stronger and detailed characters, better visual effects and action sequences that were greeted with applause the world over. The bar had been raised by the time the Dark Knight's origins were brought to the screen a year later. Expectations were high and the pressure was on.

Nolan had the guts to do what he thought was necessary to make the franchise credible after the disaster of Joel Schumacher's "Batman and Robin" from the late nineties. Out went the camp Batsuits and cheesy dialogue, the comical villains and supernatural design. In came a gritty, realistic Gotham with as much backstory as the central character and villains who were not cartoonish. This is a world that is not dystopian but downtrodden and at the centre of it is Bruce Wayne who we find in prison, a lost-soul.

Nolan devotes a relatively action-free hour to the central character, his past and the genesis of Batman. He is trained with brutal methods, whilst we are slowly shown the origin of his fear of bats and the death of his parents. He faces questions of justice and identity before resolving to return to Gotham where he slowly confronts his fears, his guilt and his anger and becomes Batman.

Once the suit is donned, the film hits top gear. The action sequences and set-pieces come thick and fast. We meet our villains (excellent performances from Tom Wilkinson and Cillian Murphy), though the nemesis remains a mystery until late on. We discover the childhood sweetheart, now District Attorney, Rachel Dawes (a competent but unpopular Katie Holmes) and other lead good guy, policeman Gordon (another brilliant supporting performance from Gary Oldman), not to mention faithful butler and serial scene-stealer Alfred (long live Michael Caine). The philosophical questions, already established in the opening half-hour, are expanded upon (a detailed exploration of justice being the main one, with both protagonist and antagonist believing that they are carrying it out) whilst the world is filled in and Nolan's canvas expands.

But the focus never shifts from Bruce Wayne, who is complex, interesting, sympathetic and expertly performed by Christian Bale. For all of the action (and there is enough of it, with none of it disappointing) the most enduring image is an astonishing shot of the Dark Knight silhouetted against the dawn sky as he stands at the top of the skyscraper surveying the metropolis below. It is a beautiful spine-tingling moment that, in an image, shows the strength of the film. This is an in depth exploration of a fascinating central character done with style and in a thrilling manner. This is not just the thinking man's superhero film. It is every man's superhero film with action and intelligence working together to brilliant effect.

The bar had been raised once more and it became evident in what followed. About a year and a half after the release of this reinvention came a similar change of direction for the Bond franchise with "Casino Royale" followed shortly by a trailer for "Spider-Man 3" which seemed to be heading into ultra-dark territory. Spider-Man's identity and soul where going to be at stake, but the film itself failed to match Nolan's effort. In fact, in the attempt to raise the bar once more it fell well short of previous efforts.

And here we are, three years later, with the sequel "The Dark Knight" about to be released, and still Nolan's film sits on top of the pile. Why has no-one matched it? Is it something to do with the character or the director that makes "Batman Begins" unique? The franchise is not unique, but the director is. All you need do is look at his other pieces of work (especially the intelligent "Memento" and the intense "The Prestige") to realise that Christopher Nolan is a director of great intelligence, ability and style. Another film like "Batman Begins" from another franchise is not impossible, it is just very difficult.