IMDb > Batman Begins (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Batman Begins

Batman Begins More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 267: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Batman needs cold medicine

Author: Tyler Blythe from United States
27 August 2015

This is ridiculous Batman is not suppose to sound like he has a frog in his throat someone get that man a Ricola. People like this movie series with Bale but dislike the actual corny Batman movies that really show the true nature of comics? Good job guys lets keep ruining the DC franchise and turning into something more dark and stupid. Thats exactly what kids want right? There has been animations and cartoons that actually play their parts better than this movie has to offer, if you want to see combat and explosions that seem fancy go watch a Micheal bay film because that isn't what Batman is all about there is more to it than that and that is what most fans seem to be forgetting. I feel ashamed every time I look and see the bad reviews some of the older movies get compared to this Batman that apparently has a sore throat or something. Have none of you even heard what the original Batman sounds like? At least I can take pride in enjoying most of the movies that actually have some character and isn't just about going in fighting and getting out.

Great, fast, myth-making, beautifully filmed...a Nolan movie about Batman

Author: secondtake from United States
21 July 2012

Batman Begins (2005)

I saw this for a second time last night as kind of homework before seeing "Dark Knight Rises" and it is a marvel of movie-making, for sure. It's also filled with crazily exaggerated legends and it gives depth to many characters who have become as important to Batman as the evil enemies he faces. It has a few sections that are expository that slowed it down, but not for long, and some of the action scenes are astonishing technical feats.

This is the first in what has turned out to be a trilogy, and it begins at the beginning, much like movies have done for Spiderman and Superman. Besides being far-fetched (the ninja fighters training our wandering orphan in some mountain retreat are the same ones who sacked Rome, etc.), it at first creates a different kind of movie, less about fighting evil than developing the skills and psychology to be superhuman. And those blue poppies they inhale--well, they comes into play later, too.

So Bruce Wayne gets initiated, returns to Gotham, and slowly gets his equipment compiled, much of it stuff concocted by the wily and reassuring Mr. Fox, played by Morgan Freeman. The butler, played by Michael Caine, is in on the secret duality of our man from the start, and helps him in both practical and moral-boosting ways. It's all exciting and yet warm at the same time. You really wish there was such a Batman, with friends.

Where the movie thins out, even as the action gets increasingly over the top, is even the slightest logic to the plot. You really have to just say, okay, this is a comic book world, and there really might be a plot to destroy Gotham simply because it's reached its peak of civilization. And there really might be a little machine with enough microwave power to vaporize the entire water system of the city. Just go with it.

Certainly we have no trouble believing Batman can come and go like magic, glide with beautiful memory fabric wings, and shoot his rescue rope (like Spiderman) into faraway nooks. We all want to do this, and Christopher Nolan, the director, makes it dramatic like few others have. As many have written, this is the second best adventure hero movie ever. That might be true--there are a few others in line in my book--but it is probably easier to agree that the second in the trilogy, "The Dark Knight," is better than them all.

But this led to that, and it's a great movie for this type. I mean, there are different kinds of movies that might leave you moved and even changed afterwards. Those are great movies. This one is a great movie experience, pure unapologetic entertainment. With lots of human moments and enough depth you can even watch it twice. I just did, and it worked.

Batman Bores

Author: screenman from United Kingdom
22 April 2012

I caught this offering on a freeview channel. And at first I began to wonder if the listings had got screwed-up. Where was Batman? For a seemingly indefinite time, somebody - I suppose it was Bruce Wayne - was faffing about in what I think were the Himalayas. They were mountains anyway. There was a bald-headed monk with a self-satisfied gaze like a hang-over from Quai Chang Kane's adventures, and Wayne getting the crap kicked out of him frequently. Here, I gather, was supposed to be the 'why he became Batman' expose, but the whole boring and verbose pantomime went on for so long that this little grasshopper dozed-off before he could grasp the pebble.

I've awarded 3 ex-gratia stars for whatever I missed because so many people rave about this movie. But judged by the 20 minutes or so of what I did watch I'd offer no stars at all as it couldn't even sustain my attention enough to keep conscious.

I would suggest aspiring viewers fast-forward to about halfway through. Presumably it livens-up a bit.

Great start

Author: kurciasbezdalas from Lithuania
20 September 2008

This film is a start for a Christopher Nolan Batman film series (which I hope will continue for a long time). This film is not that good as The Dark Knight but much better than earlier Batman movies. The film is taking itself more seriously and that is what's good about it. I liked the plot very much and also a colorful characters. Maybe the film itself isn't that good as The Dark Knight but the action here is much better and here is much more of it(especially the fighting scenes). A plot, action, acting, costuming, direction - everything was great in this film. So just watch it, especially if you are action movie fan because there is a lot of action.

What can i say? Nolan+Bale+Caine="TOP" Class

Author: crvijay89 from India
23 July 2008

As mentioned above three legendary artists reuniting for a legendary character like Batman is more than just amazing. This movie clearly explains why Christopher Nolan movies are highly rated at IMDb. Recently the same trio combined for "The Dark Knight", a masterpiece sequel for this amazing film, which stormed to the #1 spot among the IMDb top 250 movies pushing the over-rated Godfather down. I didn't see the sequel yet but since its the #1 at IMDb, i have no doubts that its gonna be the best movie of the year. The Dark Knight also features late Heath Ledger, a legend in his own self, as Joker and he should be awarded an Oscar for it. I heard that he scared the s**t out of the audience during his on-screen presence in theaters. I can't wait to see this. "Batman Begins" also helped me to face my own fears without any fear and handle it myself which is earning me more appreciation. So more than just a movie its a lesson for life. The flawless narration, wonderful story, beautiful acting, adrenalin pumping action and emotional contents all packed in to one big action/drama entertainer and is always a treat to watch. Hats off Chris Nolan! you rock!

I'll definitely give it a 9.4/10 rating and it deserves a #2 spot for sure. A must watch for all Batman fans and also Batman haters!

Best Batman

Author: jtw_707 from United States
22 July 2008

this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton.this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton.

Surprisingly good

Author: stealth4933 from United States
18 July 2008

Batman Begins is actually a very good movie. I thought it would be more like the first Batman from the original four, where it just begins with him already Batman and he just has to fight some villain like the joker. This movie, however, delved even deeper in the world of the Dark Knight and took some creative liberties that really ended up paying off. I especially liked how they depicted the Scarecrow. He was not nearly as comic book as he could have been. No, in this movie he was genuinely creepy and seemed like a freak. Batman's relationship with Ras Al Ghul is also played up very well. Its sort of like the relationship between Magneto and Proffesor x, where they both respect each other, they just have differing opinions about how to achieve their own goals.

Batman is back.

Author: sj_bowling from Orange County, CA United States
23 May 2008

Batman is back and he means business. That's a very cheesy way to start this review, but it's a fitting one. I loved the Burton Batmans mostly because I'm a big Burton fan and a was a moderate Batman fan. AFter seeing all the junk that Schumacher had made and basically ruined this franchise, people were waiting for the best comic book here to make a return. The Bat nipples, poor choices for Batman and overdone villains ruined every Batman movie up until Begins. Bale is hands down the best Batman as he has the style and posture of the Bat. Please, do yourself a favor and watch this movie. I only felt like I had to write this review in order to get people pumped for The Dark Knight.

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up" – A metaphor for the Batman franchise

Author: ChristopherNolanFan from Sydney, Australia
26 April 2008

"Batman Begins" directed by Christopher Nolan, is a cinematic work of genius that is only beaten in the genre of comic book films by its successor: "The Dark Knight". One of the best all star casts of the new millennium is involved including Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman, Ken Watanabe and Morgan Freeman as the film redefines both the comic book and the action genres and establishes the possibility of a motion picture within these genres to contain so much heart and meaning.

At the age of 8, when his parents are murdered, Bruce Wayne (Bale) vows to seek revenge; however, he commences to ask himself about the difference between revenge and justice. As he gets older he meets Henri Ducard (Neeson) and Ra's Al Ghul (Watanabe); two members of a vigilante group known as the 'League of Shadows' which sparks Bruce's interest and allows him to train with the group. Subsequent to his training, he is told that he must execute a criminal in order to become a member of the League of Shadows, however, Bruce declines and finds himself fighting to the death with Ra's Al Ghul which results in Ghul's death. He returns to Gotham City and finds that the city has become a "breeding ground for suffering and injustice", due to this he decides to use a symbol to frighten criminals and bring justice back to Gotham. He decides that the symbol must be terrifying and formidable and that he should use his one fear: bats, as he explains "as a man, I can be destroyed, I can be ignored. But as a symbol, I can be incorruptible." With the help of his trusty companions Alfred Pennyworth (Caine), Sgt. Jim Gordon (Oldman) and Lucius Fox (Freeman) he does his best to become a nocturnal vigilante, determined to fight against evil.

The realistic and grim tone that Nolan creates in this film is one that has not been seen in a comic book film ever before. Although it does not contain popular and somewhat admired villains as previous Batman films has shown, it manages to grasp the true essence and meaning of Batman and his love for Gotham. It is also done this way for a reason; because Batman is not meant to meet villains like The Joker, Two-Face or The Riddler when he is first practising as the masked vigilante. For this is not a story of an experienced and heavily skilled Batman, this is a story of how Batman begins.

10/10.

Nolan is a genius

Author: mike. g3 from United Kingdom
12 March 2007

Christopher Nolan is already proving to be one of the very best directors, with films such as The Prestige and of course, Memento. Then there's this, Batman Begins. There are many things that make this one of the best ever comic book adaptations. The dark musical score, along with snapshots of Bruce Wayne's childhood are great accompaniments, showing Bruce Wayne's dark nature of anger and guilt, where most superheros are just being shown to show how good will always triumph over evil. Here Bruce Wayne is shown as a normal man (apart from being amazingly rich!) with huge personal problems, and the film shows how he triumphs over his own insecurities.

The best thing about Batman Begins though, is that Batman is not actually shown as a superhero, as he doesn't actually have any superhuman powers (such as flying etc.), he is shown as a man with a point to prove to himself, and he believes that only by "turning fear against those who prey on the fearful", he can prove himself. The high tech gadgetry and Bruce's ninja training are fantastically done to show where Bruce got his inspiration to become Batman, and learnt his skills. Nolan has used the fact that Bruce is a billionaire where no one has before, showing how he uses his money to create his fearsome alter ego - buying wires to suspend himself from, weapons, his cave and a new-look batmobile.

The fight scenes are really good, Batman flying from all angles - its really cool! Christopher Nolan really is a genius director, here he has made a film which for the first time has shown that a hero such as Batman could exist in real life. 10/10