IMDb > Batman Begins (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Batman Begins

Batman Begins More at IMDbPro »

Page 7 of 265: [Prev][2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [Next]

Brilliant!!

Author: Kell101886 from United States
4 August 2005

This was definitely the best movie I saw all summer! i think i saw it 3 times and loved it every time. I also saw it in IMAX and that was such a thrilling experience. I've never seen such a great ensemble of actors. First of all, Christian Bale was absolutely perfect for the role of Batman. His acting is absolutely phenomenal and he brought a new edge to the Dark Knight and i think this franchise really needed that and i have to tip my hat off to him for buffing up for this role after being so sickly skinny for The Machinest- now thats a dedicated actor. Michael Caine was definitely the comic relief of the movie and brought some pretty funny one-liners, but overall this movie was a serious, emotional thriller and thats what made it so great! Morgan Freeman was also quite funny and enjoyable to watch as the somewhat sidekick of Batman. Liam Neeson was brilliant as usual, but Katie Holmes I was not completely happy about, but the movie still turned out great and I'm definitely buying it the day it comes out on DVD. I just hope the special features are as great as the movie. To top it off, I also thought the music was phenomenal as well. This is definitely a must see and #1 on my list.

This Movie Raises the Bar for this Genre

Author: SocialBarbarian from United States
3 August 2005

Batman Begins is by far the best comic based movie I've ever seen. I know that is a bold statement but there are a couple of reasons I say this. The depth of character is terrific. The motivation of the nemisis is far more complex than usual. It's not just, "I'm evil and wanna rule Middle Earth." Bruce Wayne struggles to become great. His insecurity induces him to strive. He grows as a person and as a hero as the movie develops.

Lucas, who's wisest of all characters, Yoda tells Luke, "Do or do not. There is no try.", a truly silly line as we all know we grow through our failures so long as we don't quit. Bruce's father, by contrast, asks, "Why do we fall?" With perfect pause and delivery he continues, "We fall, so we can learn to pick ourselves up." This is but one scene where Nolan sets the tone and timing perfectly.

The filming, dialog, action, characters, plot and oh yes, the acting are all superb. I rarely leave a movie completely satisfied and almost always have something I'd change. This movie is my first 10. I only wish I possessed the skill to better articulate my appreciation. Flat out, this movie not only raises the bar for comic-to-film efforts but for action dramas in general.

bale!!!!

Author: ar_doman from United Kingdom
25 July 2005

who is batman? from now on it is without a doubt in my mind that Christian bale is the ultimate batman. i know this is shocking to hear as Micheal Keaton was moody, dark and superb but bale has something that no other screen batman had, the sense of rage, anger and the actually possibility of snapping emotionally like the original DC comics. Batman always seemed he could snap, and bale, an expert at psychological roles (american psycho, the machinist) actually looks like breaking down in parts of the film. but this film is not just about bale. Bow down to the king of creepy, Cillian Murphy. what a change from the scruffy git in 28 days later to the smirking and outright shocking scarecrow. the first time scarecrow appeared on screen the cinema sounds near threw me from my seat. personally, i can't wait to see him in red eye.then there is Micheal Caine, humorous, confident, great acting (as always) and for the first time relaxed. Alfred is not some posh pompous servant but a helper, an essential part of the team which was neglected in some of the earlier films. there are too many good performances in this film to mention, so i'll leave it with this, marvel have got their work cut out!!!! BALE!!!!

Batman has been saved!!!

Author: MrLuthor89 from New York
25 June 2005

I knew from the beginning of production of this film that the Batman franchise and legacy was in good hands. Although the choice of Christopher Nolan as the director is an unconventional one...I knew he could make crap into gold with his talents. The cast is unbelievable, the special effects are dazzling enough that they don't steal from the story like in previous superhero films. Also unlike previous superhero films(namely the other Batman films) they don't hand the movie over to a mega-star actor as an over-the-top villain. They rather give talented actors enough screen time to get their character across.

The story was very much true to the comic book. It explains the origins of the character of Bruce Wayne, and proves that you don't need to be "Superpowered" to become a super-hero. The film starts with Bruce Wayne(Christian Bale), as a hermit traveling the world (mostly in areas reminiscent to Japan) starting fights with thugs and petty criminals to shadow over his guilt over the death of his parents, Thomas Wayne (played with sincerity by Linus Roache) and Martha Wayne. He is greeted by the mysterious Henri Ducard (Liam Neeson),who promises that he and a legendary warrior Ra's Al Ghul (Ken Watanabe) can teach him to turn fear against those who prey on the fearful. Bruce takes him up on his offer and learns to become a warrior of justice. But when he is asked by his mentor, Ducard, to kill a prisoner, he refuses...claiming that his compassion is the only thing that separates he and his enemies. Bruce is nearly killed as a result, only to survive and return to Gotham and become the hero he was born to be.

He begins with his Bat-Suit, weaponry, etc., and of course the Tumbler (bat-mobile). Along for the ride are his trusty Butler, Alfred (Michael Caine), the head of science divisions at Wayne Enterprises, Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman), the only decent Cop left in Gotham, Sgt. Gordon (Gary Oldman), and his old flame, now the assistant D.A. Rachel Dawes (the ever annoying Katie Holmes). Things are worse than ever in Gotham...Carmine Falcone, a mobster, owns most of the city's officials, and as he runs drugs and gambling, those officials turn a blind eye to his malevolence. Things get extra precarious when Falcone sparks up a deal with Dr. Jonathon Crane aka The Scarecrow and his employer...Ra's Al Ghul. Now Batman must put his trust in his allies's hands and turn his fear on his enemies to save Gotham from a Truly horrific fate.

Most of the performances are nothing short of incredible. Bale shines as the caped crusader and Bruce Wayne. Proving that he can play characters other than say American Psychos. Bale shows many different sides to Bruce. You can tell by looking in Bale's eyes that his innocence has been shed long before it should have and now he only has his fear to guide him. As Batman, he does something different. Unlike Michael Keaton (still one of the best), Val Kilmer, or George Clooney...Bale shields his voice by sounding and behaving almost like a vicious animal, creating a voice that sounds like Alec Baldwin after drinking one too many shots of vodka. Caine does an Oscar worthy job as Alfred. He does more justice to the character, showing him as more a father figure than just a hand servant. Caine especially can nearly bring tears to your eyes when he speaks of how he'll never give up on Bruce. Liam Neeson didn't really surprise me with his Jedi-like mentor of a character in the beginning, I just saw it as Neeson being Neeson, but he really proved me wrong by the end of the film. (Spoiler ahead) Neeson returns at the end of the movie only under his real name...Ra's Al Ghul. Not surprising considering he looks and sounds like the character from the comic books. Neeson goes from teacher and father figure to oozing with villainy and suave sophistication in his fight scenes w/ Bale.

As for the supporting cast...Morgan Freeman is fantastic as a no nonsense scientist at Wayne Enterprises. Freeman adds an elegance, strength, and above all, presence to this movie with very little screen time...much like Marlon Brando in Superman. As for Katie Holmes ...she does what she has to do in the whole "...it's what you do that defines you." fortune telling crap, which I really didn't care too much for. But, in the end, her character comes off more as a self-centered pain, who wants to be noticed as a hero, which is not the way her character was most likely supposed to be played as. Gary Oldman does what Neeson does...he plays against type. Neeson is usually cast as a mentor/good guy...and now shines as a heavy. Oldman is usually cast as a psychotic and over-the-top villain...but he now plays a sincere and trust worthy cop...and works great with Bale. From the first shot of Oldman as Gordon, consoling young Bruce after his parent's death, you get the feeling that he's a good man, one with a conscience and dignity. Murphy does an especially good job as the Scarecrow...many would complain of his reality based re-creation...but i think it was the only way to do it without turning the Scarecrow into a cartoon character. Murphy also emits a great villainous flare with the delivery of lines like "The Bat-man." Tom Wilkinson and Rutger Hauer contribute well to their side-villain performances. Wilkinson seems to enjoy himself with his Italian, tough guy accent, and Hauer fits the role of a greedy, corporate S.O.B. very well. As for Ken Watanabe, he fills out quite well as the "Ra's Al Ghul" we meet in the beginning. Iv'e always admired Watanabe and his choice to play such a small but vital cameo still puzzles me. Never the less, after his "Gotham must be destroyed speech." I don't think I could see anyone else play the villainous role like that.

Excellent revamping, surpasses the other installments

Author: jackmama1 from United States
15 June 2005

I wasn't extremely thrilled with Return of the Sith, and so I went to see this film hoping to get a little more for my dollar since the trailer made it look pretty decent. I've got to say, it was pretty slick. Gone is the ridiculous plot and corny humor of the past installments. This movie has a more serious storyline than its predecessors, explaining the origin and training of the Dark Knight to-be and then delivering butt-kicking goodness. High points are the nearly believable explanations of Wayne's acquisition of technology (suit, gear, ride), the edgy cinematography with abrupt, mid-conversation scene changes, and excellent supporting acting by Neeson, Cain, Oldman, and Murphy. I'd say the low points are the rushed nature of Batman's coming of age, but I guess that's understandable given the necessity for Batman vs. Gotham time the already long duration of over 2 hours. And sorry, but I'm not going to say anything nice for Ms. Holmes because I never was a big fan of hers and I'm already sick of the media fiasco over her and Tom Cruise. Anyway, if you want a Batman movie that isn't as over the top as the last ones and is as believable as possible, this is the movie for you. I wouldn't be surprised if it ends up being the top critically acclaimed action flick of the year.

Unspeakably Amazing

Author: dajemitchell from United Kingdom
10 March 2008

To start with this is my favourite film of all time hands down. I saw this because of its stellar cast and wow was i impressed. The batman franchise returns under the Direction of Christopher Nolan and doesn't disappoint. It has a great plot and the directing is awesome. By far the best film of 2005 and of the franchise.

The cast is also Excellent: Christian Bale; He excels as Batman and plays BAtman & Wayne as if they were 2 different characters. He gives us the charm of Wayne and the dark side of Batman.

Liam Neeson; is excellent as Wayne's mentor and main villain - Henry Ducard / ra's Al ghul. He is the best performance and highlight of the film.

Gary Oldman; gives arguable his greatest performance as Lieutennant Gordan. He as comic humour to the character and is a great ally to batman.

Michael Caine; is perfectly cast as the butler Alfred. He gives us a feast as Waynes father figure and butler.

Cillian Murphy is also quite scary and the rest of the cast is also good.

An excellent and spellbinding film.

10/10.

Batman Begins Was Great

Author: Wint_her from United States
1 August 2005

Batman Begins has flown onto screens with a whirlwind force impossible for movie goers to avoid. A handful of ripe star characters, eye catching scenes, and a beautifully developed plot, sure beat a carrot on a string. As if the long awaited unveiling of the origins of the beloved Batman wasn't enough. Actor Christian Bale stunningly portrays the tormented masked avenger, skillfully enhancing Batman's dual nature. No doubt the talented Bale draws from his past quality roles from such films as "American Psycho." The transformation of Bruce Wayne into Batman and the start of the film begins at a prison camp where Wayne appears to have been living for a while. Henri Ducard (Liam Neeson) mysteriously appears and convinces Wayne to become his apprentice, teaching him how to fight and have self control. Wayne reveals to Ducard all the secrets of his past and why he was running from it. With a new take on his fears, Wayne returns to save Gotham City from the corrupt Carmine Fabone (Tim Wilkinson), and Dr. Crane (Cillian Murphy) the key players in the city's drug ring. Batman is helped by his childhood sweetheart Rachel Dawes (Katie Holmes) the D.A., Jim Gordon (Gary Oldman) the only morally upstanding cop in the area, and Lucius Fox (Morgan Freeman) a long time Wayne Enterprise employee who supplies Batman with all his little tech savvy gadgets. And as always by his side is Alfred his loyal butler played by Michael Caine.

Batman Begins is so satisfying to die hard fans because rather than loading it with elaborate computerized fight scenes, time was spent on expanding the back story and making the Wayne- Batman evolution a believable one; from the bat cave to the bat mobile and weapons, to the hit and miss process of Batman inventing himself.

probably the best comic book movie that will ever be made

Author: alex mann from United Kingdom
26 July 2005

OK where to begin with this movie thinking of DC's previous release catwoman the future of DC film was looking slim but then was saved by the dark knight or rather Christopher Nolan and his vision of one of the best comic book characters to ever be created BATMAN. A version that is more superior to Tim Burton's version and definitely more superior to Joel Schumacher's version one of the things that stands out in this movie for me is when Christian bale is in the bat suit he becomes a different person his voice the way how he moves it all changes and after the ending how could i not be excited Gordon unveiling the bat light to the bat and then giving him the calling card of another criminal which happens to be a jokers card. It will also be interesting to see what happens in two years time as there is the batman sequel and spidey 3 scheduled for the same year what a great time it is turning out to be for us comic book nuts ROLL ON 2007

Batman is REAL!!!

Author: rickfairey13 from United States
23 July 2005

Where is Gotham City? I only ask because this movie makes you feel as if you could actually go there, as if it actually exists somewhere. I liked Tim Burton's Batman, but Christopher Nolan's vision is so well paced and so real, that it is, in my humble opinion, the first REAL Batman movie. Christian Bale brings Batman to life with all of the emotion of a real person, I guess it takes a real actor to do so. The supporting cast is a group of actors with so much character that they could have had there own movies. Alfred is awesome. So many great movies stumble some during their running time, but this one did not miss a step. 10 out of 10. I wonder if Bruce Wayne would give me a loan?

Great Version of the Batman's Origin

Author: Brian Washington (Sargebri@att.net) from Los Angeles, California
25 June 2005

This is probably the best of all the Batman films. What makes it so is the fact that, as it title suggests, shows the how Bruce Wayne went from being orphaned as a child, to the Dark Knight. It was also great to see them show a little bit of the relationship between young Bruce and his father. This relationship was only hinted at in the comic books, but you can see why the deaths of his parents really after their tragic murder. You also see how after his parents die how the anger builds up inside of him to the point where he almost makes a very tragic mistake that almost ends his quest before it begins.

As far as the cast is concerned, Christian Bale is excellently cast as Batman. He shows the almost split personality of Bruce/Batman that is apparent in all the books. Michael Caine is also excellent as Alfred. This is the first time that you pretty much see Alfred as more than just a confidant, but as a father figure as well to young Bruce. Katie Holmes is also good as Rachel. She does a lot more than just play the damsel in distress role that other actresses in the series have. She pretty much has a great deal of spunk that hasn't been seen in all the other actresses, especially Kim Bassinger. Morgan Freeman is also great as Lucius Fox. For those of you who may not know, he is one of the more important characters in the latter day Batman stories and Freeman captures the character well in his portrayal.

This is definitely the best of all the "Batman" films.