IMDb > Batman Begins (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Batman Begins

Batman Begins More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 263: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Unbelievably Bad

Author: rocketstreamman from United States
28 May 2006

Am I missing something? What is it people saw in this movie to give it such a high rating? It must be Nolan fans and studio plants. This movie was a train wreck from beginning to end from the casting mistakes to the nonsensical plot. As for being more true to the comic books, are the people who believe that on crack? This was a complete departure from not only the previous Batman films but certainly Bob Kane's original intention. There has to be at least a sprinkling of humor for Batman to work and make sense because a man dressing up as a bat does come across as humorous no matter how you cut it. The idea is Bruce Wayne has gone so far into a dark place in his mind that he does go crazy and a man running around as a bat is crazy and a little funny. This film tried to make the notion so serious that it was too serious to be taken literally. And as far as everybody complaining about how in the first Batman Bruce Wayne's parents were killed by The Joker, stop your whining. I laughed at the court room scene where the criminal who killed Bruce Wayne's parents is shot walking out of the court room by a...woman! Then Katie Holmes reaction saying, "Bruce you don't need to see this." to Christian Bale muttering, "I have to see this". It was beyond ridiculous. All in all forget this film and stick with the first three. It is a complete over-hyped waste of time.

Finally...

Author: ashwintkurien from India
13 January 2006

Batman Begins is definitely the best Batman movie to date and one of the better movies of 2005 and of all time. The real credit to this movie should go to director Christopher Nolan who has produced a brilliant movie. This movie is so great because it does something that the other Batman movies didn't..... show exactly how different (and better) Batman is from other heroes and superheroes. The acting was brilliant (with the exception of Katie Holmes). Liam Neeson would be my personal pick from this movie.

But I am a bit surprised that some people are complaining about the confusion surrounding the action scenes.... for god's sake that's how it's meant to be. The confusion surrounding the fight scenes is another factor that makes Batman different.

All in all it's a brilliant movie. The only thing that wasn't working for it was Katie Holmes. But I still gave it 10/10.

Can't wait for the sequel.

bale is the official batman,i finally enjoyed what I love most a comic adaption,animized!

Author: cellsius from United States
24 December 2005

I just wanted 2 know the name of the martial arts that bale studied in training 4 the movie,not in the movie,can any1 let me know?the actor Bale trained & maxed his bod b4 the flick,I saw it somewhere being known as 1 of the most brutal ways 2 train the mind & body,but the rewards are an extreme sense of durability,as well as a natural tolerance against pain,mentally & physically,I was looking 4 fitness training alternatives 2 max out body mass,I am 210 pounds & want the mass as well as the weight @ 225,can any 1 share this info with me?I would really appreciate it thank u very much and I hope u enjoy the flick as much as I did!post! Post!post!

what a relief!

Author: alisgray from St. Paul, MN
15 June 2005

given when this movie came out, I couldn't help but compare it to the Revenge of the Sith as a prequel. it can only point out what a better film this one is.

such a tight script, top-level acting (once again I didn't even recognize Oldham until halfway through the film, it was more interesting and important that he was Jim Gordan,) appropriate use of FX, giving real dialog to the female characters... wow. what I didn't love was that it was sometimes difficult to tell, when two fight scenes were interwoven, exactly what was going on where, and when.

Batman deserves to have been made without the camp, and finally it has been. Awwww yeah.

The best Batman film so far

Author: freemantle_uk from United Kingdom
13 March 2008

This is the best Batman film so far. I enjoy for the fact that it was psychological and takes the most realistic approach possible. This was because the director Chris Nolan is known for making psychological thrillers, and he also only used CGI when needed, he made the film using stunts and keeping the action down to earth.

The film focuses on Bruce Wayne becoming Batman and looks at the psychology of the man. It showed his personal angst and fears and how he used it to fight crime. The starts with a flashback of Bruce and his friend Rachel Dawes as children before seeing Bruce in a Chinese prison, aiming to understand the mind of criminals. Fear was a major theme. Bruce Wayne as Batman wanted to cause fear within criminals in Gotham, whilst the Scarecrow used fear as a weapon. Bruce's relationships are also looked at. In the film he is emotionally stunted because of the murder of his parents. It shows that he has few friends, Alfred, he was a father figure to him, Lucius Fox, who helps Bruce become Batman, Sgt. Gordon who is one of the few good cops in Gotham and Rachel, Bruce's love interest.

As well as showing Bruce/Batman as a more realistic human, Nolan takes great care to show how it was possible for someone to become Batman. The equipment used in the film is down to earth and not out the realms of possibility and the Batmobile looks like a real vehicle. I hated the 1960s programme of Batman, I really disliked the camp in it and I hated the silliness. I didn't like Batman Forever or Batman and Robin (that one was laughably bad). The Tim Burton version was better, but I still felt like a cartoon. However Batman Returns is a good film in it's own right. I liked that fact that Gotham looked like a city, namely because it was filmed in Chicago, but I felt it was just right for the film.

The film also had an excellent case, and I personally enjoyed the British/Irish favour to it. Christian Bale was brilliant as Batman, Michael Caine was good as Alfred. Gary Oldman, an actor I've always liked played Gordon who grows as a character in the film. Tom Wilkinson, Liam Neeson and Cillian Murphy were good as the villains. Morgan Freeman, one of the felt Americans to have a major part was also had a fine performance as Fox. The only person I had a problem with was Katie Holmes, but it was only because I thought she was too young to be playing a Deputy DA, not because she was a bad actress. I think Maggie Gyllenhaal should be more suited for the role in the next film.

The film also has the feeling of it being like Batman: Year One by Frank Miller. It is not a carbon copy of the Graphic Novel, but it is very similar and the ending is lifted from the Graphic Novel. Year One also set out to show Batman's origins and show how it could have been possible. Batman Begins in my opinion was also influenced by the first two X-Men films which tried to take the most realistic approach possible. They is also a trend in Hollywood for taken the realistic approach, such as Casino Royale, Lord of the Rings (as in the battle scenes) and the Bourne Trilogy.

I can't wait for The Dark Knight to come out in the cinema.

Best Superhero Movie Ever!!!!

Author: madbhoot from Bangladesh
22 December 2006

I am not a Batman fan...actually i am a Superman Fan.But after watching this movie i was overwhelmed! Definitely its a good movie!! Much better than the previous ones.But Christian Bale completely amazed me. I have seen most of his movies. He always did some great movies but never got recognised properly.What a great actor he is. He did this double role of Bruce Wayne/Batman so naturally that it made me almost believe that he is actually this person.For the first time Batman/Bruce Wayne was human..we could see his fear,grief,rage,love. Now about the movie..all thanks to Christopher Nolan that he did this movie.Otherwise we could have never known that a superhero movie could be made so earthly!!

Best "Batman" Movie Ever!

Author: DMoviebuff4778 from United States
26 August 2005

I'm a big Batman fan, and I got to say that this movie was the best Batman movie ever. Even better than the 1989 original w/ Michael Keaton. I thought Christian Bale did an excellent job, the suit and the new Batmobile looked more realistic, can't wait for the next one. I really want to try the new video game. They even filmed it in IMAX and I heard it;s now the highest grossing IMAX movie. If you love Batman, I strongly recommend to own it when it comes out on DVD. I know I'm definitely going to own this one. I even have a tradition of when every house I moved into the first movie I put on is the '89 version, but when this comes out the new one is gonna take over. If I were to rank the top 3 Actors that portrayed Batman: 1. Christian Bale 2. Michael Keaton 3. Kevin Conroy (Animated Series)

Unexpected Wisdom

Author: Robert Watson from United States
7 August 2005

Storytelling at its best is often about principles, values, ideas and ideals in conflict. Characters' actions stem from their beliefs, objectives, strength of will or lack of it. Their conflicting convictions are resolved in ways that support the messages the storyteller wants to convey, and the audience finds moments of wisdom that stay with them long after leaving the theater. I found several of those messages in Batman Begins…

Have Faith In Each Other -- Michael Caine, as Bruce Wayne's paternalistic butler Arthur, masterfully hammers this message home throughout the story. Through word and deed, Arthur continually reassures Wayne that he'll never give up on him no matter what. This faith carries Wayne through some of his darkest moments of doubt.

Compassion Is What Separates Good From Evil -- When mentor Henri Ducard (Leam Neeson) insists that Wayne must be willing to kill decisively and without remorse if he is to defeat evil, he refuses. He declares that the criminal must be brought to justice and judged for his crimes, not arbitrarily executed.

Revenge Is Not Justice -- While Ducard tries to convince Wayne of the righteousness of vengeance for the murder of his parents, ADA Rachel Dawes (Katie Holmes) admonishes Wayne, "Justice is about harmony; vengeance is about making yourself feel better".

Brilliant!!

Author: Kell101886 from United States
4 August 2005

This was definitely the best movie I saw all summer! i think i saw it 3 times and loved it every time. I also saw it in IMAX and that was such a thrilling experience. I've never seen such a great ensemble of actors. First of all, Christian Bale was absolutely perfect for the role of Batman. His acting is absolutely phenomenal and he brought a new edge to the Dark Knight and i think this franchise really needed that and i have to tip my hat off to him for buffing up for this role after being so sickly skinny for The Machinest- now thats a dedicated actor. Michael Caine was definitely the comic relief of the movie and brought some pretty funny one-liners, but overall this movie was a serious, emotional thriller and thats what made it so great! Morgan Freeman was also quite funny and enjoyable to watch as the somewhat sidekick of Batman. Liam Neeson was brilliant as usual, but Katie Holmes I was not completely happy about, but the movie still turned out great and I'm definitely buying it the day it comes out on DVD. I just hope the special features are as great as the movie. To top it off, I also thought the music was phenomenal as well. This is definitely a must see and #1 on my list.

This Movie Raises the Bar for this Genre

Author: SocialBarbarian from United States
3 August 2005

Batman Begins is by far the best comic based movie I've ever seen. I know that is a bold statement but there are a couple of reasons I say this. The depth of character is terrific. The motivation of the nemisis is far more complex than usual. It's not just, "I'm evil and wanna rule Middle Earth." Bruce Wayne struggles to become great. His insecurity induces him to strive. He grows as a person and as a hero as the movie develops.

Lucas, who's wisest of all characters, Yoda tells Luke, "Do or do not. There is no try.", a truly silly line as we all know we grow through our failures so long as we don't quit. Bruce's father, by contrast, asks, "Why do we fall?" With perfect pause and delivery he continues, "We fall, so we can learn to pick ourselves up." This is but one scene where Nolan sets the tone and timing perfectly.

The filming, dialog, action, characters, plot and oh yes, the acting are all superb. I rarely leave a movie completely satisfied and almost always have something I'd change. This movie is my first 10. I only wish I possessed the skill to better articulate my appreciation. Flat out, this movie not only raises the bar for comic-to-film efforts but for action dramas in general.