IMDb > Batman Begins (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Batman Begins

Batman Begins More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 270: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

Unbelievably Bad

Author: rocketstreamman from United States
28 May 2006

Am I missing something? What is it people saw in this movie to give it such a high rating? It must be Nolan fans and studio plants. This movie was a train wreck from beginning to end from the casting mistakes to the nonsensical plot. As for being more true to the comic books, are the people who believe that on crack? This was a complete departure from not only the previous Batman films but certainly Bob Kane's original intention. There has to be at least a sprinkling of humor for Batman to work and make sense because a man dressing up as a bat does come across as humorous no matter how you cut it. The idea is Bruce Wayne has gone so far into a dark place in his mind that he does go crazy and a man running around as a bat is crazy and a little funny. This film tried to make the notion so serious that it was too serious to be taken literally. And as far as everybody complaining about how in the first Batman Bruce Wayne's parents were killed by The Joker, stop your whining. I laughed at the court room scene where the criminal who killed Bruce Wayne's parents is shot walking out of the court room by a...woman! Then Katie Holmes reaction saying, "Bruce you don't need to see this." to Christian Bale muttering, "I have to see this". It was beyond ridiculous. All in all forget this film and stick with the first three. It is a complete over-hyped waste of time.

Dreadful Beyond Belief

Author: Brian from United States
8 July 2006

This movie was absolutely dreadful. Christian Bale as Batman was just absolutely ridiculous not to mention Michael Caine with his accent. There were several points in the movie I burst out laughing at Bale's delivery of lines. It was like he practically growled as if to sound menacing. I think the public at large just has no idea what is an accurate portrayal of Bob Kane's comic character. To me the closest I think was the original 1989 Batman movie. The absurdity of Batman Begins was how serious it was trying to be which made you laugh at it rather than with it. The Scarecrow was the most disappointing villain of any of the previous Batman films. He was completely boring and just downright stupid. This film was such a complete insult to the fans who have stuck with the movie series through the good sequels and the bad. Unfortunately a new generation of children think this is cooler than a Batman that makes much more sense and has an element of fun to it. Tedious and bland is the only way to describe this new reinvention of the Dark Knight. Next!

Again? Well, not quite.

Author: terrygiu2000 from Italy
20 June 2005

The name of David Goyer among the writing credits made me fear the worse. After all those Zig Zag and Blades appallingness you can hardly blame me. So, you may imagine my surprise to discover that Batman Begins is not only better than the previous Batmans but much better. The genesis of the character as well as inedited insights into the seven mystery years in the life of Bruce Wayne makes the whole enterprise engaging even thrilling. Christian Bale is an American Psycho Batman, pouty lips and unexpected sexual presence. Katie Holmes is lovely, with a sharp intelligence and a riveting imperfect beauty. Michael Caine fills the shoes of the butler with wit and charm. Gary Oldman, looking more Oldman than Gary, adds another surprising characterization to his already impressive gallery. So, very nice. There is still hope in hopeless trends. Who knew.

Great start

Author: kurciasbezdalas from Lithuania
20 September 2008

This film is a start for a Christopher Nolan Batman film series (which I hope will continue for a long time). This film is not that good as The Dark Knight but much better than earlier Batman movies. The film is taking itself more seriously and that is what's good about it. I liked the plot very much and also a colorful characters. Maybe the film itself isn't that good as The Dark Knight but the action here is much better and here is much more of it(especially the fighting scenes). A plot, action, acting, costuming, direction - everything was great in this film. So just watch it, especially if you are action movie fan because there is a lot of action.

What can i say? Nolan+Bale+Caine="TOP" Class

Author: crvijay89 from India
23 July 2008

As mentioned above three legendary artists reuniting for a legendary character like Batman is more than just amazing. This movie clearly explains why Christopher Nolan movies are highly rated at IMDb. Recently the same trio combined for "The Dark Knight", a masterpiece sequel for this amazing film, which stormed to the #1 spot among the IMDb top 250 movies pushing the over-rated Godfather down. I didn't see the sequel yet but since its the #1 at IMDb, i have no doubts that its gonna be the best movie of the year. The Dark Knight also features late Heath Ledger, a legend in his own self, as Joker and he should be awarded an Oscar for it. I heard that he scared the s**t out of the audience during his on-screen presence in theaters. I can't wait to see this. "Batman Begins" also helped me to face my own fears without any fear and handle it myself which is earning me more appreciation. So more than just a movie its a lesson for life. The flawless narration, wonderful story, beautiful acting, adrenalin pumping action and emotional contents all packed in to one big action/drama entertainer and is always a treat to watch. Hats off Chris Nolan! you rock!

I'll definitely give it a 9.4/10 rating and it deserves a #2 spot for sure. A must watch for all Batman fans and also Batman haters!

Best Batman

Author: jtw_707 from United States
22 July 2008

this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton.this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton. this movie was awesome. i liked it a lot because it was more realistic then the other batman films by Burton.

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up" – A metaphor for the Batman franchise

Author: ChristopherNolanFan from Sydney, Australia
26 April 2008

"Batman Begins" directed by Christopher Nolan, is a cinematic work of genius that is only beaten in the genre of comic book films by its successor: "The Dark Knight". One of the best all star casts of the new millennium is involved including Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman, Ken Watanabe and Morgan Freeman as the film redefines both the comic book and the action genres and establishes the possibility of a motion picture within these genres to contain so much heart and meaning.

At the age of 8, when his parents are murdered, Bruce Wayne (Bale) vows to seek revenge; however, he commences to ask himself about the difference between revenge and justice. As he gets older he meets Henri Ducard (Neeson) and Ra's Al Ghul (Watanabe); two members of a vigilante group known as the 'League of Shadows' which sparks Bruce's interest and allows him to train with the group. Subsequent to his training, he is told that he must execute a criminal in order to become a member of the League of Shadows, however, Bruce declines and finds himself fighting to the death with Ra's Al Ghul which results in Ghul's death. He returns to Gotham City and finds that the city has become a "breeding ground for suffering and injustice", due to this he decides to use a symbol to frighten criminals and bring justice back to Gotham. He decides that the symbol must be terrifying and formidable and that he should use his one fear: bats, as he explains "as a man, I can be destroyed, I can be ignored. But as a symbol, I can be incorruptible." With the help of his trusty companions Alfred Pennyworth (Caine), Sgt. Jim Gordon (Oldman) and Lucius Fox (Freeman) he does his best to become a nocturnal vigilante, determined to fight against evil.

The realistic and grim tone that Nolan creates in this film is one that has not been seen in a comic book film ever before. Although it does not contain popular and somewhat admired villains as previous Batman films has shown, it manages to grasp the true essence and meaning of Batman and his love for Gotham. It is also done this way for a reason; because Batman is not meant to meet villains like The Joker, Two-Face or The Riddler when he is first practising as the masked vigilante. For this is not a story of an experienced and heavily skilled Batman, this is a story of how Batman begins.

10/10.

The start of something truly spectacular.

Author: bobsgrock from United States
18 July 2008

This is certainly, without question the best Batman film ever made, although that isn't saying much. Christopher Nolan makes this into a very dark and brooding tale that tells more about Bruce Wayne than Batman, something the other movies would never have done. Nolan is a great director and he takes a great leap of faith by showing perhaps the most important screen superhero in such a way that the city of Gotham and its components don't feel like taken from a comic book, but from real life. Batman Begins is based more on graphic novels and the original characters by Bob Kane, so the realism and details are there without all the fluff and showboating Joel Schumacher would have put out. Christian Bale is perfect as the title character and he creates a more interesting Bruce Wayne than Batman only because we see more of Wayne in this installment. All other roles are perfectly cast, especially Liam Neeson as a mysterious yet intelligent and brutal member of the League of Shadows. Katie Holmes is nice and sweet as Wayne's childhood friend, and there will never be another Alfred as long as Michael Caine resides.

Simply put, Batman Begins is worth the time and money. It pulls you into a world you would never expect to see in a Batman movie, than transports you to Gothan City, the rotting core of it mostly. When we do get a glimpse of Batman, it really is quite different than other interpretations. The action here is based more on suspense than violence and the plot moves along quite well to make this movie feel shorter than its 140 minute running time. So, if you are going to see The Dark Knight this weekend, be sure to check this out first. Indeed, if it is anything like this one, this franchise is going somewhere truly spectacular.

A daily comment from Midget Emma: Batman Begins (2005)

Author: (midget_emma101@hotmail.com) from Australia
11 February 2008

This is the best superhero movie ever. Although that is yet to be seen because I haven't seen the The Dark Knight yet. The reason this rises above the other superhero movies is that it such a much more believable and well told story then the other movies.

This tells us how Batman became the dark knight and what made him who he is. We see Batman become a warrior and return to Gotham City and face off against his first nemesis the scarecrow. He is also reunited with his first love Rachel played by Katie Holmes. The Batmobile was awesome it was a tank basically. The bat suit was great. It looked like a samurai suit. This movie had almost everything that made Batman. The Batmobile, the bat suit, the bat cave, the love story and the evil villain. Batman was a renegade in this movie. So that means no terrible sidekick called Robin.

There is always a love story in a superhero movie and this one does throw out that tradition. This one is between Batman and his childhood friend Rachel. Rachel is a DA and she is fighting in court while Bruce Wayne is being a playboy. I found it to be a pretty damn realistic love story. A good love story is hard to find in movies these days. Even the love story is a reason to watch this movie.

Now to the villain. The Scarecrow (Cillian Murphy in a great performance) was great he was scary, creepy and a total evil person. He uses a gas to poison his victims and that causes them to see there fears. He was a very satisfying villain. Another reason to see it.

Now to the acting. Christian bale was a great Batman. He suited it so well. The only thing that was weird was the voice he did when he was Batman. When he was Bruce Wayne he was excellent. A total different performance between the two. Michael Caine was superb (like always) as Bruce's butler. It didn't even seem like he was trying. Gary Oldman is one of the best actors today. Whether you are watching him as Sirius Black in Harry Potter or Zorg in The fifth element he is always giving us a different performance. Again he is gave us a totally new performance in Batman Begins. He is different in every movie he is in. Katie Holmes played Batman's love interest. Let me just say she pulled it off. She was good but unfortunately she was worst performance in this movie. She just didn't get above the rest of her co- stars. That doesn't mean she wasn't good. But she has been replace in The Dark Knight by Maggie Gyllenhaal. We will see how she does in it.

I highly recommend this if you like superhero movies or have seen the other Batman movies. This a great addition to anyone's collection.

Batman vs. Spiderman vs. Superman

Author: demon-drifter from South Africa
1 February 2007

When asked who your favourite superhero was, these 3 are some of the biggest household names. We have now seen all of them portrayed in a recent movie (or 3 in spiderman's case) and we are confronted once again with the burning question of who is the greatest...

To compare all of them, batman is the most human with no extreme alien qualities such as web or superhuman strength. Batman relies on technology and his incredible fighting techniques to destroy his enemy. It is impossible to relate to any of these superheroes yet the human factor of Batman makes him a far more interesting character. That and his car...

Spiderman is of course a legend, he needs to keep up the much more difficult facade of Peter Parker compared to the other 2 heroes. The popularity of spiderman is noteworthy and the 3rd movie is a testament to this.

Superman is the least imaginative of all the superheroes mainly because his superpowers are clichéd and unimaginative. The latest superman movie was by far the biggest waste of film in the last 50 years. Never before have I hated a movie so passionately. Smallville however is a different story, it has all the makings of an awesome beginning to superman. Except.... As with so many series, if it takes off in its first season, the writers crave a bigger paycheck and in their endless greed the storyline goes straight to hell. Sad but true.

So, in conclusion Batman is the clear winner in this skirmish with Spiderman in a close second! Unfortunately superman falls way back, and as they say, "Those who fall behind, stay behind".