IMDb > Batman Begins (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Batman Begins

Batman Begins More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 267: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

The MOST dark Batman you 've ever seen

Author: whilem_6 from Greece
2 September 2005

OK guys,listen up.I 've grown up with batman but trust me,this will not affect my judging. Christopher Nolan Made an excellent work with his camera games.Besides we couldn't expect less from the director of memento right? The script,is excellent.It showed us cleverly Bruce's childhood (through nightmares,or memories and stuff),yet the dialogs are awesome,full of emotions and pretty smart if u ask me. Acting was superb,especially Bale deifies his role as batman.You see thats the true face of batman.Scary and rough mostly. Also i must say that i am very satisfied from the effects of the film.It has few 3d effects,and i can say that the way that this batman is made,is everlasting Guys u must see this movie...

excellent

Author: kybo25 from United States
28 August 2005

this was one of my favorite movies of the year. and i don't say that lightly. i saw this movie with my friend as a backup to lords of dogtown which was sold out and boy am i glad i did. Christian Bale did an amazing job with the tough role of being batman. i then saw this with my cousin who loved it as well. this is probably the best superhero movie I've ever seen. superman, horrible. batman, OK. spider-man the first one, OK. spider-man 2, boring. and so on. but this, this was amazing. it was well worth the 10 dollars to see it and i cant wait until it comes out on DVD. one of the best movies of the year and it deserves to be in the top 10.

The best film of 2005 so far

Author: TSPRIN1044
28 August 2005

The best film I have seen so far in 2005. It had everything, action and a little romance. but not enough to distract you from the main story line. Forget all the Batman films of the past and look to the future. Batman is back, bigger and better. The stunts are great, and add to the plot instead of being the hole story. And for once the supporting actors don't let you down. They actually boosted the story and helped to keep the plot moving in the right direction. Unlike those in the Btman films of the past. When Batman Begins comes out on DVD in October I will be buying the 2 disc set and I hope you will too. When the next Batman film hits the big screen I will be the first in line to see it, and being a woman that must mean a great deal.

A big cinematic experience

Author: aaoppe from Norway
17 August 2005

I can only say what several critics have said before me; at last they capture the essence of the Batman legend on film! What makes this movie so great is how it takes its material so seriously. There is also a main theme that ties the movie together: Fear. It's relentless in its quest to explain why and how a man of Bruce Wayne's wealth and public persona would dress up like a bat and battle crime. This is the core of the movie, and it treats this with confidence and conviction. When a movie believes this much in the story it's telling, it's much easier for the audiences to believe in it as well. This is a big cinematic experience, and it shouldn't be missed. One of the year's best films, and quite possibly the best comic book-hero-movie of all time.

If you have seen this movie once, then it gets even better by the second time you see it. And if you haven't seen it yet... well, what the hell took you so long?!

The tale of how Bruce Wayne faced his fears, self doubts and loss of parents to become the immortal legend and crime fighting force called Batman.

Author: mye-2 from United States
17 June 2005

Best Batman. Most rewarding overall cast. Most dutiful to comic. Rich subtext to true fans. About intellect and character over flash and disrespect to depth. Quick motion camera is meant to make you think, as film is Psychology and Action combined. Batman brings fear to criminals, and the dread of disorientation is what makes him such a compelling mystery. Burton's was great but this is a truer Batman and it is only going to get better from here. Its like the Atlas shrugged Batman, all about competence over fatalism and decay. Fantastic. The cast was dynamic and the pacing was great if you are smart enough to not need padding and ham fisted plot devices or short cuts. It was like a literary take on the character, as it should be since he has a long history.

The dark & gritty Batman comes to the big screen

Author: sarastro7
13 July 2005

What we see in this movie is the "dark & gritty" (TM) Batman, which was introduced by Frank Miller in 1986 in the comics mini-series Dark Knight Returns, which was an alternate future version of Batman. But Miller also gave the "real" comics Batman the dark & gritty treatment in the seminal Batman: Year One story, which is perhaps the greatest Batman story ever created (also because of the effective artwork of the excellent David Mazzuchelli), and which chronicles, among other things, Bruce Wayne's initial (pre-Batman) martial arts training in a remote mountain region. In the comics, a creative force as strong as Frank Miller was bound to yield massive imitation by less original comics creators - and so the early 1990s saw the Batman character getting consistently and increasingly dark & gritty, to the extent that the entire Batman universe was based on that darkness and grit.

So the question is, does this work in a movie? Well, in my opinion it didn't even work in the comics, so, no, for this and other reasons I don't think it works in the movie, either. I always preferred the pre-Miller Batman, whose comics were driven by the stories and not simply by mood and style.

Batman Begins is not a bad movie. It has many good things. The story has lots of great ideas. Most of the changes to the Bat-mythos were thoughtful and effective. I even loved how the Batmobile had to jump over a moat every time it left and entered the Bat-Cave.

Unfortunately, the movie is atrociously directed. Everything is much, MUCH too dark, and considering how bad-looking the terribly cut fight scenes are, the fast-moving action and scatter-shot dialog are particularly grating. Most characters beside Bale's and Neeson's don't have enough to do, or get no significant characterization. Oldman's Gordon is wildly underplayed, and I could never separate Michael Caine from Michael Caine, which I needed to do if I were to find him convincing as Alfred. I think the structure and editing of the movie was terrible, and the decision to make a comic-book movie so dark that you could hardly see what was going on, was a monumentally bad one. It was a decision made, no doubt, to emphasize the medium of the movie over that of the comic, and it made the director attempt to create some kind of art movie - and apparently many people feel he succeeded. I didn't.

And I thought the special effects were another big problem. There were too many of them. Why did the plot need a hallucinogenic drug, so faces could twist and horses could breathe fire? Because, I'm certain, the movie-makers felt they had to deliver the special effects spectacular that they thought superhero movie audiences have come to expect. A commercial decision, thus, to blow some dough on unnecessary SPX, just because the audience probably would think it was a cheap and unimportant movie if it didn't have any. So, no, I was not impressed at all; rather the opposite.

And unfortunately I have to make one more serious complaint. Ra's Al Ghul was very cool and very well played and everything, but his scheme was ridiculous in the extreme. Through centuries and even millennia his "league of shadows" (the actual size of which is never shown) would destroy civilizations (oh, or just cities) at the height of their decadence, like God striking down Sodom and Gomorrah. And now they'd decided that Gotham City should be destroyed? I'm sorry, but I find it ridiculous on at least three levels. First, wouldn't they target more than a single city? What use will it be to destroy one city? But, of course, this would depend on their man-power, which we are never made privy to. Maybe they're just, like, twelve guys. It certainly looks that way. Second, Ra's had been planning to destroy Gotham for, like, twenty years or more?! So, basically, he's been focusing all his resources on just Gotham for at least two or three decades, while events in the rest of the world has had no bearing on the situation? That's preposterous. And third, where's the sense in going in to help exacerbate the decadence and crime and corruption before delivering the death-stroke? They are totally becoming the very thing they would destroy. And sure, they're the bad guys and all, but shouldn't their scheme have SOME modicum of logical coherence? Apparently not. So anyway, not a great, successful movie as far as I'm concerned, but the typical commercial fluff with a hurried narrative and a holey rusted plot, Batman.

6 out of 10.

Dreadful Beyond Belief

Author: Brian from United States
8 July 2006

This movie was absolutely dreadful. Christian Bale as Batman was just absolutely ridiculous not to mention Michael Caine with his accent. There were several points in the movie I burst out laughing at Bale's delivery of lines. It was like he practically growled as if to sound menacing. I think the public at large just has no idea what is an accurate portrayal of Bob Kane's comic character. To me the closest I think was the original 1989 Batman movie. The absurdity of Batman Begins was how serious it was trying to be which made you laugh at it rather than with it. The Scarecrow was the most disappointing villain of any of the previous Batman films. He was completely boring and just downright stupid. This film was such a complete insult to the fans who have stuck with the movie series through the good sequels and the bad. Unfortunately a new generation of children think this is cooler than a Batman that makes much more sense and has an element of fun to it. Tedious and bland is the only way to describe this new reinvention of the Dark Knight. Next!

Again? Well, not quite.

Author: terrygiu2000 from Italy
20 June 2005

The name of David Goyer among the writing credits made me fear the worse. After all those Zig Zag and Blades appallingness you can hardly blame me. So, you may imagine my surprise to discover that Batman Begins is not only better than the previous Batmans but much better. The genesis of the character as well as inedited insights into the seven mystery years in the life of Bruce Wayne makes the whole enterprise engaging even thrilling. Christian Bale is an American Psycho Batman, pouty lips and unexpected sexual presence. Katie Holmes is lovely, with a sharp intelligence and a riveting imperfect beauty. Michael Caine fills the shoes of the butler with wit and charm. Gary Oldman, looking more Oldman than Gary, adds another surprising characterization to his already impressive gallery. So, very nice. There is still hope in hopeless trends. Who knew.

One Super-Hero Film With Tremendous Depth!

Author: KissEnglishPasto from Pasto, Colombia
30 January 2015

Warner Brothers gave us a very special gift for Father's Day, 2005... BATMAN BEGINS. Despite displaying some lethargy in its opening scenes, and suffering from some of the excesses so common in this genre of film, not only might you say it is the best of the Batman Franchise, so far, but also that it is definitely the best super-hero film ever!

Director, Christopher Nolan, who dazzled with his amazing talent in the 2000 Cult Classic, MEMENTO, has assembled a formidable cast (Michael Caine, Liam Neesom, Gary Oldman, Tom Wilkinson & Morgan Freeman, among others), an outstanding script and special effects all well focused in a film that transforms a two dimensional comic strip into a work of real depth! . In the title role, we have Christian Bale, British, 31 at the time the film was made, someone who has spent most of his life in front of the cameras, without reaching, at least at this juncture in time, the long-awaited status of "Super-Star". In 2000, Bale took on another title role in American Psycho, a 'Cult Classic' which received ample attention from both critics and audiences alike. (If you have not seen this psychological thriller, do so…What a gem it is! Bale is chillingly creepy!)

On the one hand, Mr. Bale is one of very few British actors (Well, Welsh, to be exact) capable of playing an American where his accent, intonation, and even body language, is absolutely perfect, impeccable! (After taking in American Psycho, I could have sworn he was American!) However, in BEGINS, although his performance seemed quite good, it was slightly below my expectation. I attribute this to two factors. First, as I'm sure Bale was already aware…audiences went in with tremendously high expectations regarding his role. And secondly, with a supporting cast of the caliber involved in this film, it would have been almost impossible to stand out in the same way he did in American Psycho. .

For my taste, the only really weak link was the now famous for being Tom Cruise's-EX, Katie Holmes! Before appearing in BEGINS, Ms. Holmes never had a real stand-out role, at least in my opinion, nor really had been in many high profile films. To all fairness to her, though, it wasn't so much that her characterization was extremely lacking as much as that her performance just wasn't up to those of others in this brilliant cast! .

To highlight the very best that Batman Begins shows us, unlike almost all movies in this genre, its characters are anything BUT black and white. Just as in real life, almost all of them evolve in a kind of constant metamorphosis, responding and interacting with lady luck, day to day life events, and reactions from those around them! And they do it most convincingly, not the least bit far-fetched. .

Before rushing out to see it, just a little warning. For those who yearn for Action-packed blockbusters, Begins might leave you feeling somewhat unfulfilled! And for those who crave really intense human drama, since, at the end of the day, this is still a comic book "super-hero", not some conflicted politician, or not even anything close…Let's try to keep things in perspective, O.K.?

In conclusion, if you have EVER seen any film based on a comic strip that you have liked in the past, then don't hesitate to see Batman Begins... I guarantee you'll be rating it at least 7 STARS! ....ENJOY/DISFRUTELA!

The best thing to hit the Batman name EVER!

Author: ndobson01 from United States
26 February 2006

I thought this movie was absolutely spectacular, I took me by surprise. I never thought I would see a Batman movie with depth and that showed the true fear that is the character Batman that he brings to his enemies. Christian Bale did a excellent job and I truly look forward to him in another Batman Movie!

The story was absolutely amazing and in my humble opinion very original. Raj Al Ghul is an excellent villain and to portray him in the way he was portrayed was top notch, not to mention he was played very well. Many people I talked to complained that the actor who played him was not of Asian decent. However I believe it truly didn't matter at all.

Not to mention Alfred was great. Gordon (later Commissioner Gordon) was excellent as well.

No other Batman Movie has portrayed Batman truly as the Dark Knight and as I said already I truly look forward to more along these lines.

-ND