IMDb > Batman Begins (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Batman Begins

Batman Begins More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 262: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

The tale of how Bruce Wayne faced his fears, self doubts and loss of parents to become the immortal legend and crime fighting force called Batman.

Author: mye-2 from United States
17 June 2005

Best Batman. Most rewarding overall cast. Most dutiful to comic. Rich subtext to true fans. About intellect and character over flash and disrespect to depth. Quick motion camera is meant to make you think, as film is Psychology and Action combined. Batman brings fear to criminals, and the dread of disorientation is what makes him such a compelling mystery. Burton's was great but this is a truer Batman and it is only going to get better from here. Its like the Atlas shrugged Batman, all about competence over fatalism and decay. Fantastic. The cast was dynamic and the pacing was great if you are smart enough to not need padding and ham fisted plot devices or short cuts. It was like a literary take on the character, as it should be since he has a long history.

The greatest Bat film ever, possibly the best comic book film of the 21st century

Author: Brandon Freeman from United States
15 June 2005

Christopher Nolan and crew are to be commended for a job well done. If you are moderately interested in Batman, perhaps enjoyed the first film or two but was appalled with Schumacher's take on the series, you will love Batman Begins for its return to the darker, more serious side of Batman. If you are, however, a true Batman fan (by that I mean you have read your share of Bat comics and genuinely appreciate the character), this film will blow your mind.

First off, let me say that Goyer and Nolan do take a lot of "artistic license" with the origin story; though is such a thing possible with a story that has been retold countless times? Anyway, there are a lot of new ideas thrown into the mix of Bruce Wayne's struggle - and subsequently, a lot of dimension.

The mission of Batman Begins is really very simple - to bring a sense of realism and maturity to the Batman tale.

When I say realism, I do not mean it is realistic. How could it be? But the film approaches the subject with the question, "Okay - what if it WERE possible?" And the suspension of belief works well.

But besides all of that, what is really important about this film? Christian Bale. He MAKES Batman work. Never before has any television or film truly captured the intensity, the ferocious growl, the unstoppable passion that Bruce Wayne has.

And this is a film about Bruce Wayne, not Batman. Which is why it works so well.

I think this film would not have been possible, perhaps, without Spider-man's birth to the screen. Spider-man revolutionized superhero movies, gave some credibility to them. It showed the world that, in order to make a movie about a superhero, you have to instead focus on the alter ego - the real person.

But Batman is a little trickier than Spider-man, I think. You see, the twist to this character is that, the Batman IS Bruce Wayne. Wayne the billionaire is the mask. Perhaps this seems a little simple, but the film really takes a hard look at it, and shows us two different Wayne's. This Batman does not require his costume in order to be Batman.

There's a wonderful scene that shows an interaction between a little boy and the Batman. Batman attempts to stay hidden as he clings to a building in an alley, spying on a villain attempting to get rid of criminal evidence. The boy emerges from his beaten down apartment, parents yelling at each other in the background. He looks out on his rugged balcony, then catches a glimpse of the Batman - right next to him. Instead of rushing off, Batman just kind of shares a moment with him, silent at first, and the boy says with hope, "I knew you were real. No one else believes me." Bruce watches him a second longer, then hands him a device from his belt and disappears. This wasn't the cheesy, super-hero interacting with adoring fan type scene. It was almost like two kindred spirits, the hero feeling the child's pain and reaching out to him.

The thing that is so wonderful about this version of Batman is that, while he appears heartless, he's actually full of compassion. And it isn't just the dorky super-hero type "calling". It runs in the family. We learn in the film that Bruce's great grandfather helped slaves escape to the North during the Civil War. We see perhaps one of the deepest renditions of Bruce's father, Thomas, as being a strong, compassionate and loving father, who's saying sticks with Bruce all his life: "Why do we fall? So we can pick ourselves back up." Michael Caine does a riveting job as Alfred, much more masculine (in a gentlemanly way) than past incarnations, a bit more youthful and definitely more agile. His fatherly influence warms the heart and makes us treasure every second with the character (though it might just be because of Caine, who is a phenomenal actor). Think of a "Second Hand Lions" type Alfred.

Then there's the love interest (if you can call it that), Rachel. Honestly, I understand why they put her in here, but she really has no point to the story. She's not the reason he becomes Batman. She doesn't stop him from being Batman. She's just kind of there, a convenient voice from the past. Really, any of her scenes (aside from the kiss at the end) could have been given to Alfred, and it would have worked better. But being that she's actually such a small part of the film, it doesn't bother me that much.

I won't go into the villains, because I can't say much there without giving it away. I will say, though, that they are again, very much based in realism, not in comic color poetry. There are a wide variety of villains in this film, and at the end, the promise of one very special foe in the sequel.

This film ends on a definite note of continuation, as even the main titles suggest it (the title "Batman Begins" doesn't even flash until the last scene has rolled). But it works, because you knew that was coming anyway, right? Personally, I feel this film is a much more mature comic book film than Spider-man, Superman, Fantastic Four, X-men, etc. will ever be. While not realistic, Batman Begins is BELIEVABLE, and I will definitely be frequenting the theaters quite a bit this summer to see this movie again and again.

Unbelievably Bad

Author: rocketstreamman from United States
28 May 2006

Am I missing something? What is it people saw in this movie to give it such a high rating? It must be Nolan fans and studio plants. This movie was a train wreck from beginning to end from the casting mistakes to the nonsensical plot. As for being more true to the comic books, are the people who believe that on crack? This was a complete departure from not only the previous Batman films but certainly Bob Kane's original intention. There has to be at least a sprinkling of humor for Batman to work and make sense because a man dressing up as a bat does come across as humorous no matter how you cut it. The idea is Bruce Wayne has gone so far into a dark place in his mind that he does go crazy and a man running around as a bat is crazy and a little funny. This film tried to make the notion so serious that it was too serious to be taken literally. And as far as everybody complaining about how in the first Batman Bruce Wayne's parents were killed by The Joker, stop your whining. I laughed at the court room scene where the criminal who killed Bruce Wayne's parents is shot walking out of the court room by a...woman! Then Katie Holmes reaction saying, "Bruce you don't need to see this." to Christian Bale muttering, "I have to see this". It was beyond ridiculous. All in all forget this film and stick with the first three. It is a complete over-hyped waste of time.

The dark & gritty Batman comes to the big screen

Author: sarastro7
13 July 2005

What we see in this movie is the "dark & gritty" (TM) Batman, which was introduced by Frank Miller in 1986 in the comics mini-series Dark Knight Returns, which was an alternate future version of Batman. But Miller also gave the "real" comics Batman the dark & gritty treatment in the seminal Batman: Year One story, which is perhaps the greatest Batman story ever created (also because of the effective artwork of the excellent David Mazzuchelli), and which chronicles, among other things, Bruce Wayne's initial (pre-Batman) martial arts training in a remote mountain region. In the comics, a creative force as strong as Frank Miller was bound to yield massive imitation by less original comics creators - and so the early 1990s saw the Batman character getting consistently and increasingly dark & gritty, to the extent that the entire Batman universe was based on that darkness and grit.

So the question is, does this work in a movie? Well, in my opinion it didn't even work in the comics, so, no, for this and other reasons I don't think it works in the movie, either. I always preferred the pre-Miller Batman, whose comics were driven by the stories and not simply by mood and style.

Batman Begins is not a bad movie. It has many good things. The story has lots of great ideas. Most of the changes to the Bat-mythos were thoughtful and effective. I even loved how the Batmobile had to jump over a moat every time it left and entered the Bat-Cave.

Unfortunately, the movie is atrociously directed. Everything is much, MUCH too dark, and considering how bad-looking the terribly cut fight scenes are, the fast-moving action and scatter-shot dialog are particularly grating. Most characters beside Bale's and Neeson's don't have enough to do, or get no significant characterization. Oldman's Gordon is wildly underplayed, and I could never separate Michael Caine from Michael Caine, which I needed to do if I were to find him convincing as Alfred. I think the structure and editing of the movie was terrible, and the decision to make a comic-book movie so dark that you could hardly see what was going on, was a monumentally bad one. It was a decision made, no doubt, to emphasize the medium of the movie over that of the comic, and it made the director attempt to create some kind of art movie - and apparently many people feel he succeeded. I didn't.

And I thought the special effects were another big problem. There were too many of them. Why did the plot need a hallucinogenic drug, so faces could twist and horses could breathe fire? Because, I'm certain, the movie-makers felt they had to deliver the special effects spectacular that they thought superhero movie audiences have come to expect. A commercial decision, thus, to blow some dough on unnecessary SPX, just because the audience probably would think it was a cheap and unimportant movie if it didn't have any. So, no, I was not impressed at all; rather the opposite.

And unfortunately I have to make one more serious complaint. Ra's Al Ghul was very cool and very well played and everything, but his scheme was ridiculous in the extreme. Through centuries and even millennia his "league of shadows" (the actual size of which is never shown) would destroy civilizations (oh, or just cities) at the height of their decadence, like God striking down Sodom and Gomorrah. And now they'd decided that Gotham City should be destroyed? I'm sorry, but I find it ridiculous on at least three levels. First, wouldn't they target more than a single city? What use will it be to destroy one city? But, of course, this would depend on their man-power, which we are never made privy to. Maybe they're just, like, twelve guys. It certainly looks that way. Second, Ra's had been planning to destroy Gotham for, like, twenty years or more?! So, basically, he's been focusing all his resources on just Gotham for at least two or three decades, while events in the rest of the world has had no bearing on the situation? That's preposterous. And third, where's the sense in going in to help exacerbate the decadence and crime and corruption before delivering the death-stroke? They are totally becoming the very thing they would destroy. And sure, they're the bad guys and all, but shouldn't their scheme have SOME modicum of logical coherence? Apparently not. So anyway, not a great, successful movie as far as I'm concerned, but the typical commercial fluff with a hurried narrative and a holey rusted plot, Batman.

6 out of 10.

Again? Well, not quite.

Author: terrygiu2000 from Italy
20 June 2005

The name of David Goyer among the writing credits made me fear the worse. After all those Zig Zag and Blades appallingness you can hardly blame me. So, you may imagine my surprise to discover that Batman Begins is not only better than the previous Batmans but much better. The genesis of the character as well as inedited insights into the seven mystery years in the life of Bruce Wayne makes the whole enterprise engaging even thrilling. Christian Bale is an American Psycho Batman, pouty lips and unexpected sexual presence. Katie Holmes is lovely, with a sharp intelligence and a riveting imperfect beauty. Michael Caine fills the shoes of the butler with wit and charm. Gary Oldman, looking more Oldman than Gary, adds another surprising characterization to his already impressive gallery. So, very nice. There is still hope in hopeless trends. Who knew.

The best thing to hit the Batman name EVER!

Author: ndobson01 from United States
26 February 2006

I thought this movie was absolutely spectacular, I took me by surprise. I never thought I would see a Batman movie with depth and that showed the true fear that is the character Batman that he brings to his enemies. Christian Bale did a excellent job and I truly look forward to him in another Batman Movie!

The story was absolutely amazing and in my humble opinion very original. Raj Al Ghul is an excellent villain and to portray him in the way he was portrayed was top notch, not to mention he was played very well. Many people I talked to complained that the actor who played him was not of Asian decent. However I believe it truly didn't matter at all.

Not to mention Alfred was great. Gordon (later Commissioner Gordon) was excellent as well.

No other Batman Movie has portrayed Batman truly as the Dark Knight and as I said already I truly look forward to more along these lines.

-ND

The way Batman was meant to be!

Author: Sam from United States
24 July 2005

This is the Batman I have been waiting for! Tim Burton's Batman (Batman, Batman Returns) movies were good Tim Burton movies, but not great Batman movies. Joel Schumucher's (Batman Forever, Batman and Robin) I'm convinced were made to mock the Dark knight and destroy his good name. But this new one is everything Batman should be and needs to be. And the villains are all played to perfection! Christopher Nolan is my favorite director and this (along with Memento) is his best work. If you see no other movie this year, see Batman Begins.

Note: This is not a prequel to Tim Burton's Batman. This is a completely new Batman movie series.

Author: vjj from New York, USA
27 October 2005

Forget Michael Keaton, forget Tim Burton....THIS IS THE BATMAN MOVIE! Perfect casting, actors that NEVER over-do it! Excellent direction...this movie does what it sets out to do...shows you just how Bruce Wayne became the "Dark Knight", and makes you actually care about his personal conflicts and resolve to set things right in old Gotham.

Put it this way...when Christian Bale says, "I'm Batman!" you're glad you're not the person he's saying it to!

And the special effects are dead on. For once, you get just enough techno-babble to explain how the Batman's equipment works. And you get to find out just where "he gets all those marvelous toys" (stolen from Jack Nicholson's Joker character in Tim Burton's "Batman").

Enjoy this one! I'm looking forward to the next installment.

This is not another superhero movie

Author: jayce2279 from Belgium
14 November 2005

Batman Begins isn't another superhero movie in the line of Spider- Man, the X- Men or the Hulk. In fact, even if you don't care for Batman or any of his costumed colleagues, you can still enjoy this film as a good action- thriller. It doesn't thrive on special effects and big action scenes but offers a decent story with lots of attention to character development. The movie is fairly low tech and because it doesn't rely on computer technology in the way other recent superhero movies do, it has an old school feel to it, kind of like an early 80s fantastic film or even Superman: The Movie. Of course, Batman Begins is much darker than Richard Donner's beauty, but the evolution of both main characters from youths, coming to terms with who they are, to caped crusaders is depicted in a similar way. As far as the actual crime fighting goes, this movie puts right everything that was done wrong in Batman Forever and Batman and Robin. Our hero's weapons are not covered with blinking lights, but sober and practical: no computer controlled Batarangs, but ninja stars shaped as a bat. No design costume, but military armor, decorated with a cape and mask. The Batmobile is no skyscraper climbing super car, but a rejected army vehicle put to new use that befits the general atmosphere of this movie. Batman doesn't fight villains in shiny outfits who fly around on supersonic gliders or have tentacles as arms. The bad guys in this film are real people: gangsters, a corrupt warden of a psychiatric ward, a martial arts specialist and lots of crooked cops. If you take into consideration that Batman Begins is based on the Year One comics, written by Sin City's Frank Miller, one cannot help noticing the similarity between Robert Rodriguez' newly created world and the one depicted in this movie. In fact, Sin City could just as well be Gotham City without Batman. So forget Joel Schumacher's monstrosities. In fact, Christopher Nolan has even gone one better than Tim Burton and created a credible movie with a good story, realistic characters and the filthiest setting the world's Darkest Knight has ever called home.

Will change the comic book adaptation genre

Author: pton77 from United States
12 June 2005

Every now and then, an innovative and groundbreaking film emerges and changes the genre by taking its genre and combining others. Film schools teach you that talking head movies don't work, but Godfather showed that captivating dialog and memorable characters could drive a movie and capture an audience's attention just as well as action. When this summer is over, Batman Begins will do the same thing for the comic book genre. It shows that a reality and character driven set piece can work for these types of movies.

There are NO superpowers in the movie. The villains rely on mastered sword fighting, physical athleticism, and cunning as their vehicles to create chaos. And although there is action, which is done masterfully, (The car chases and hang glide scenes will blow you away)the story is moved completely by its lead character and not the events surrounding him.

The movie is a journey of self discovery. One man's struggle to deal with guilt and anger. And minus the batsuit and batmobile, this movie could stand alone as a powerful drama about self discovery, and would probably even merit Oscar consideration. The acting is superb and this is the first comic book movie to ever leave me with a lump in my throat. The relationship between Alfred and Bruce is completely genuine and heartfelt.

So enjoy the movie and be prepared for an onslaught of copy cat films to come.