IMDb > Batman Begins (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Batman Begins

Batman Begins More at IMDbPro »

Page 4 of 271: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [Next]

The bat is back***************

Author: keithlivingstone from United Kingdom
15 November 2005

All i can say is thank you Chris Nolan,,,I still think you will have to be a magician to beat Tim Burton's Batman film's but Nolan has is well on his way to becoming Houdini. This is a film that describe's Batman as he was in the comics and i think as Bob Kane imagined...So how has Nolan done it..Simple..i've seen the xtras on the Region 2 DVD and it appears that he didn't rush anything and really worked hard on this and recruited the best of the best in the movie making business,it's an extremely hard character to portray and a risky franchise as a director to do a good job as Joel Schumacher found out. He has had some good films like The Lost Boys etc but his take on the Batman was purely a joke and i think he had potentially ruined a huge money making franchise...But however it has been saved with Nolan's amazing take on Gotham and Christian Bale's Dark Knight which truly is an amazing likeness to the comics,,,This film has everything that we wanted and more because it has a beginning a middle and an amazing end which makes batfan's itching for more and a sequel which promises just that,,,it has an all star cast too,Morgan Freeman and doing an amazing job in succeeding the great Michael Gough's Alfred we have Michael Caine..The villain is the Scarecrow but in true Gotham Style there are more corrupt going's on in Gotham than good and who are they gonna call to clean it up..Simple.....THE BATMAN...This film has more gadget's and lifelike special effects than any other Batman Film so it's definitely one to watch..Thanks and i hope you enjoy it as much as i did..

Batman Begins is what marvel intended.

Author: Bellybirch from United Kingdom
29 October 2005

At last it appears evident that Hollywood have listened and made the superhero more believable. Batman through Bale is an honest character easily related to his alter-ego. The enemy is normal (compared to the green goblin and nuclear man!), and the City although futuristic allows the audience a certain mystical sincerity. Bale is strong as both Bruce Wayne and Batman. The underpin to the story line depicting how Wayne became Batman is well written and acted. There is of cause the usual moral picture painted through Wayne and his childhood friend emphasizing that revenge is a negative motivation in cleaning up Gotham. Good kit and a great car... 2008 is marked up for the follow up with Bale in the lead role again, keep up the good work and we hope Superman is as REAL.

excellent

Author: kybo25 from United States
28 August 2005

this was one of my favorite movies of the year. and i don't say that lightly. i saw this movie with my friend as a backup to lords of dogtown which was sold out and boy am i glad i did. Christian Bale did an amazing job with the tough role of being batman. i then saw this with my cousin who loved it as well. this is probably the best superhero movie I've ever seen. superman, horrible. batman, OK. spider-man the first one, OK. spider-man 2, boring. and so on. but this, this was amazing. it was well worth the 10 dollars to see it and i cant wait until it comes out on DVD. one of the best movies of the year and it deserves to be in the top 10.

The best film of 2005 so far

Author: TSPRIN1044
28 August 2005

The best film I have seen so far in 2005. It had everything, action and a little romance. but not enough to distract you from the main story line. Forget all the Batman films of the past and look to the future. Batman is back, bigger and better. The stunts are great, and add to the plot instead of being the hole story. And for once the supporting actors don't let you down. They actually boosted the story and helped to keep the plot moving in the right direction. Unlike those in the Btman films of the past. When Batman Begins comes out on DVD in October I will be buying the 2 disc set and I hope you will too. When the next Batman film hits the big screen I will be the first in line to see it, and being a woman that must mean a great deal.

Batman Ends

Author: jriddle73 from United States
29 June 2005

Where to begin? Unbelievably ill-conceived. That's it. A film that tries to be everything to all people, and ends up being nothing as a consequence.

An important point to establish up front is that, hysterical claims to the contrary aside, the film is *not* an adaptation of the comic character in any more than the most superficial of ways. The filmmakers simply altered the fundamental elements of the character to far too great a degree. The film, then, must be judged on its merits as a film, not as an adaptation.

So how is it as a movie? This one had a lot of potential, and it was hard to watch it fall apart as it went along. Some grumble-inducing moments notwithstanding, it's actually quite good in the early going. It's engaging, well-constructed, and, despite a lot of high-fallutin' monologues about the psychology of fear, never comes across as overly pretentious. The first indication of trouble, however, occurs in this early part of the movie. Bruce Wayne, our future Batman, has been in training with the League of Shadows, a ninja-style group led by Ras al Ghul (Ken Watanabe). Upon his "graduation," Ras explains his master plan. His "explanation" is an utterly incoherent rant about "destroying Gotham," Bruce's home city, for no apparent reason other than that it is "corrupt." As Watanabe rambled, I started giggling. That the film, in standard Hollywood tell-you-what-you're-supposed-to-think-about-what-you're-seeing fashion, presents this as a very somber, serious moment only added to the joke. Bruce, having listened to this, then turns to Ducard (Liam Neeson), the man who'd recruited him into the League, and asks, totally deadpan, if he really believes in all of this, and my giggles turned into outright laughter, shared by others in the theater. It's an embarrassingly idiotic moment that immediately took me out of the mood that had been established.

The film bounces back fairly quickly from this early misstep, though. Back in Gotham, uber-boss Carmine "The Roman" Falcone is very well established; he's a guy who runs everything in a corrupt sewer of a city. A scene wherein he threatens to shoot Bruce in a restaurant full of city officials, convincingly explaining that he could do so and get away with it, is certainly a keeper, and promises much more to come. Why the filmmakers bothered spending so much time and energy setting him up is anyone's guess, though, because nothing much ever does. They could have built a movie, or an entire series of movies upon Bruce's efforts to clean up the town, as they'd established it, but, instead, the mighty Falcone is decimated by the Batman in mere minutes, in ludicrously implausible fashion, none of his power helping him a bit. This is to get him quickly out of the way so the movie can radically switch gears, and the new gear it falls into is near-complete idiocy.

This gear-switching is so jarring because of the two diametrically opposed--and irreconcilible--directions in which the filmmakers tried to take "Begins." The end-product is a cut-and-pasted mess, drawing, almost equally, from great and solidly grounded Batman material, like Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One" (which should have been this movie), and very bad, very dated, and embarrassing comic book stuff from yesteryear featuring motiveless, pretentious, overblown, super-villains with some incredibly idiotic (and laughably inefficient) plot to "destroy" something. When it kicks into this second phase, every minute of the movie seems to be worse than the one before.

The movie essentially disintegrates from the moment Bruce dons the Batman mask. Sitting in the theater, you can almost physically feel the film's IQ drop. Christian Bale, who had done an admirable (if largely unexceptional) Bruce Wayne, never comes close to getting a handle on his characters' alter ego. Indeed, his Batman voice and persona suggest the actor had picked up his direction on how to play the part at the Keanu Reeves School of Acting. When Bruce becomes Batman, all he has to do to rid Gotham of the mighty Falcone is rough up a dozen of his men who are, at that time, in the middle of completing an illegal drug shipment, then attack Falcone and leave him chained and beaten senseless at the scene of the crime. This, we're told, will send Falcone away forever. Uh huh. Then, the filmmakers get to the story they really wanted to tell: Ras al Ghul returns, still looking to "destroy Gotham" for no real reason. His means of doing so is the most ludicrous item in a film filled with ludicrous items, and the final hour of the movie is dedicated to a lot of empty standard-issue Hollywood sound and fury, as the plot plays itself out. Unforgivably, the film's last scene is a straight steal of the great ending of Frank Miller's "Batman: Year One," which only serves to rub salt in the wound the film has created by spoiling the scene for some future filmmaker who may one day want to make a real Batman movie.

I have no tolerance for this sort of thing anymore. If I hadn't been with a friend, I would probably have left long before it was over In the final analysis, "Batman Begins" is inferior, in pretty much every way, to the original Burton flick, and is even less of a Batman movie. For my part, I hope it's going to be ending, rather than beginning, a Batman franchise. I'm rather fond of the character, and have had quite enough of Hollywood dragging him through the mud.

A big cinematic experience

Author: aaoppe from Norway
17 August 2005

I can only say what several critics have said before me; at last they capture the essence of the Batman legend on film! What makes this movie so great is how it takes its material so seriously. There is also a main theme that ties the movie together: Fear. It's relentless in its quest to explain why and how a man of Bruce Wayne's wealth and public persona would dress up like a bat and battle crime. This is the core of the movie, and it treats this with confidence and conviction. When a movie believes this much in the story it's telling, it's much easier for the audiences to believe in it as well. This is a big cinematic experience, and it shouldn't be missed. One of the year's best films, and quite possibly the best comic book-hero-movie of all time.

If you have seen this movie once, then it gets even better by the second time you see it. And if you haven't seen it yet... well, what the hell took you so long?!

The tale of how Bruce Wayne faced his fears, self doubts and loss of parents to become the immortal legend and crime fighting force called Batman.

Author: mye-2 from United States
17 June 2005

Best Batman. Most rewarding overall cast. Most dutiful to comic. Rich subtext to true fans. About intellect and character over flash and disrespect to depth. Quick motion camera is meant to make you think, as film is Psychology and Action combined. Batman brings fear to criminals, and the dread of disorientation is what makes him such a compelling mystery. Burton's was great but this is a truer Batman and it is only going to get better from here. Its like the Atlas shrugged Batman, all about competence over fatalism and decay. Fantastic. The cast was dynamic and the pacing was great if you are smart enough to not need padding and ham fisted plot devices or short cuts. It was like a literary take on the character, as it should be since he has a long history.

Spider-Man who?

Author: racegirl9729 from United States
16 June 2005

Since "X-Men" and "Spider-Man" came on the scene, the comic book movie genre has experienced new life. Those films were filled with action, witty dialogue and good acting. "Batman Begins" is certainly no exception. It leaves the previous movies in the "Batman" series far behind- in fact, it's no use comparing them. The movie is practically seamless; there are very few complaints to be made about it.

Christian Bale is the perfect Batman. He brings a new perspective and depth to the character that is unmatched in any other comic book film. The supporting cast is also extremely good, including such great actors as Michael Caine, Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman. This cast takes the movie far beyond just a comic book film. They make it into a movie that stands on its own, even if you've never heard of Batman before.

The movie itself is excellent. It manages to avoid most of the corniness that is evident in many comic book film adaptations. True, there are a few moments where the script leaves something to be desired, but these moments are very rare. When they do occur, the actors make them much less corny than the moments could be in less capable hands. The action in the movie is present, but it doesn't take over.

In short, this movie is a must-see. You'll notice that I didn't discuss the plot at all; that is because it contains many unexpected twists and turns and revelations. The attention to detail is incredible. Truly, you must see this film in order to comprehend it. It leaves all other comic book movies far behind.

The greatest Bat film ever, possibly the best comic book film of the 21st century

Author: Brandon Freeman from United States
15 June 2005

Christopher Nolan and crew are to be commended for a job well done. If you are moderately interested in Batman, perhaps enjoyed the first film or two but was appalled with Schumacher's take on the series, you will love Batman Begins for its return to the darker, more serious side of Batman. If you are, however, a true Batman fan (by that I mean you have read your share of Bat comics and genuinely appreciate the character), this film will blow your mind.

First off, let me say that Goyer and Nolan do take a lot of "artistic license" with the origin story; though is such a thing possible with a story that has been retold countless times? Anyway, there are a lot of new ideas thrown into the mix of Bruce Wayne's struggle - and subsequently, a lot of dimension.

The mission of Batman Begins is really very simple - to bring a sense of realism and maturity to the Batman tale.

When I say realism, I do not mean it is realistic. How could it be? But the film approaches the subject with the question, "Okay - what if it WERE possible?" And the suspension of belief works well.

But besides all of that, what is really important about this film? Christian Bale. He MAKES Batman work. Never before has any television or film truly captured the intensity, the ferocious growl, the unstoppable passion that Bruce Wayne has.

And this is a film about Bruce Wayne, not Batman. Which is why it works so well.

I think this film would not have been possible, perhaps, without Spider-man's birth to the screen. Spider-man revolutionized superhero movies, gave some credibility to them. It showed the world that, in order to make a movie about a superhero, you have to instead focus on the alter ego - the real person.

But Batman is a little trickier than Spider-man, I think. You see, the twist to this character is that, the Batman IS Bruce Wayne. Wayne the billionaire is the mask. Perhaps this seems a little simple, but the film really takes a hard look at it, and shows us two different Wayne's. This Batman does not require his costume in order to be Batman.

There's a wonderful scene that shows an interaction between a little boy and the Batman. Batman attempts to stay hidden as he clings to a building in an alley, spying on a villain attempting to get rid of criminal evidence. The boy emerges from his beaten down apartment, parents yelling at each other in the background. He looks out on his rugged balcony, then catches a glimpse of the Batman - right next to him. Instead of rushing off, Batman just kind of shares a moment with him, silent at first, and the boy says with hope, "I knew you were real. No one else believes me." Bruce watches him a second longer, then hands him a device from his belt and disappears. This wasn't the cheesy, super-hero interacting with adoring fan type scene. It was almost like two kindred spirits, the hero feeling the child's pain and reaching out to him.

The thing that is so wonderful about this version of Batman is that, while he appears heartless, he's actually full of compassion. And it isn't just the dorky super-hero type "calling". It runs in the family. We learn in the film that Bruce's great grandfather helped slaves escape to the North during the Civil War. We see perhaps one of the deepest renditions of Bruce's father, Thomas, as being a strong, compassionate and loving father, who's saying sticks with Bruce all his life: "Why do we fall? So we can pick ourselves back up." Michael Caine does a riveting job as Alfred, much more masculine (in a gentlemanly way) than past incarnations, a bit more youthful and definitely more agile. His fatherly influence warms the heart and makes us treasure every second with the character (though it might just be because of Caine, who is a phenomenal actor). Think of a "Second Hand Lions" type Alfred.

Then there's the love interest (if you can call it that), Rachel. Honestly, I understand why they put her in here, but she really has no point to the story. She's not the reason he becomes Batman. She doesn't stop him from being Batman. She's just kind of there, a convenient voice from the past. Really, any of her scenes (aside from the kiss at the end) could have been given to Alfred, and it would have worked better. But being that she's actually such a small part of the film, it doesn't bother me that much.

I won't go into the villains, because I can't say much there without giving it away. I will say, though, that they are again, very much based in realism, not in comic color poetry. There are a wide variety of villains in this film, and at the end, the promise of one very special foe in the sequel.

This film ends on a definite note of continuation, as even the main titles suggest it (the title "Batman Begins" doesn't even flash until the last scene has rolled). But it works, because you knew that was coming anyway, right? Personally, I feel this film is a much more mature comic book film than Spider-man, Superman, Fantastic Four, X-men, etc. will ever be. While not realistic, Batman Begins is BELIEVABLE, and I will definitely be frequenting the theaters quite a bit this summer to see this movie again and again.

Batman Begins To Smell

Author: Adrianapolis from California
30 March 2011

Sorry to upset die-hard Batman comic book fans, but I really hate and detest this movie. It is an insult to the 'Batman' I love and remember from my childhood. The Burton/Schumacher pictures were marvellous fun because they did not take themselves seriously. All I got from this one was a king-size headache and a sore bottom where I was bored senseless for the best part of two hours. Chris Nolan thinks 'Batman' should be taken dead seriously. A rich man who goes out at night in a rubber suit designed to resemble a bat? Oh, come on! Putting the Caped Crusader in a film like this is like making 'Austin Powers' the star of a Daniel Craig-type Bond film. Worse, the chief villain - The Scarecrow ( Cillian Murphy ) - is another nut, only this one runs round with a sack on his head! Michael Caine's 'Alfred' cannot hold a Bat-candle either to Alan Napier or Michael Gough. The story of this film...well, was there one? All I saw was a lot of fighting with nothing in-between. It has been announced that Warner Bros. are rebooting the franchise once more. Good idea. They need to use the Burton/Schumacher movies as a template for any further entries. This one hit the big screen with all the force of a wet lettuce. Ker-flop!