IMDb > Batman Begins (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Batman Begins

Batman Begins More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 263: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Best of the Batman films so far. Deep, dark, and refreshingly serious

Author: mstomaso from Vulcan
6 July 2005

I never thought Christian Bale could displace Michael Keaton as the best batman, but, sorry Michael, the deed is done.

Batman fans should find no surprise in the darkness of this tale depicting the early life of Bruce Wayne, his transformation into The Batman, and one of his most harrowing adventures. I avoided reading reviews before seeing this. As a lifelong comics fan, I felt this film deserved an open mind from me. After seeing one of the trailers, I became convinced that this film was going to be based on Frank Miller's The Dark Knight, a legendary take on the 1930s Batman origin story inked in the 80s by the man who later gave us Sin City. But no, this is a fresh and original Batman film, including the significant elements of the original, but adding its own very carefully thought out embellishments. While it has all of the darkness of The Dark Knight, it has all of the plot elements of the original, and more.

The familiar Batman story is told early in the film, but by the time we are allowed to focus on Wayne, he has grown into a young man. Wayne is depicted as a troubled drifter whose traumatic early life has left him seeking understanding in all of the wrong places. Bayle plays the character to the hilt - with his detachment, repressed anger and heavily depressive tendencies sustained throughout the entire film. Susceptible to any guidance that might provide him with a chance to right the wrongs he has seen, he falls under the spell of Ra's Al Ghul high in the Bhutanese Himalayas and becomes an apprentice in the League of Shadows - a secret society of ninjas who purge the world of corruption in a merciless manner. Wayne's martial arts training is where the major story arc begins.

This is easily the most serious, intelligent, and adult of the batman films. It is well filmed, relentlessly fast-paced and intelligently scripted. Batman Begins also sports a phenomenal cast. I am aware that a few people felt that Katie Holmes was miscast as Rachel Dawes, but I couldn't agree less. She did a good job as, basically, the only woman in the film. The rest of the cast did not miss a beat either. The very likable Michael Caine makes a great Alfred, though I have to admit I was concerned when I first saw him on screen (having never gotten over some of his weaker efforts).

With Sin City and Batman Begins coming out in the same year, it is easy to imagine that - after decades of struggle - the comic media has finally successfully broken into serious commercial films. Let's hope it's here to stay!

Buts SpiderMan to shame....

Author: hercules_100_98
4 June 2005

After being disillusioned by just about every comic book "blockbuster" of recent times, Batman Begins comes as a nice surprise. The film draws a lot of visual inspiration from Blade Runner and looks all the more impressive for it. The storytelling is done at a decent pace, giving each stage just enough time to have an impact before moving on. On the acting front Michael Cane as Alfred steals the show serving as the comic relief. Katie Holmes is a bit disappointing but her role is largely forgettable. Christian Bale does an excellent job of re-imagining Bruce Wayne, even if he doesn't look quite right with the mask on. Just goes to show, with this and Sin City looks like Hollywood can do Comic Books.....

Idiotic

Author: Raku O from Hong Kong
10 July 2005

It seems like I am the only one doesn't like Batman Begins. I'm not a fan, and my knowledge of Batman comes from the ones I watched back when I was 8, but it is still no excuse that the movie was done so poorly.

First of all, the plot and reasoning is nonexistent. For some reason, Bruce Wayne is in a Chinese prison. Somewhere along the line, *ninjas* become a part of the plot. The supposed Ra's Al Ghul is the leader of Liam and the ninjas, but what comes out of Liam's mouth is neither Chinese or Japanese. And Liam, being Caucasian, utters the only Japanese you'll hear in this movie, teaches Bruce "ninja skills" and proceeds to make a fool of himself by saying the lame Japanese names for every move before he executes them. Am I the only one who sees the problem with this?

The action scenes are dizzy and done in too many close ups in too many shots. The "batmobile" is an ugly, enormous, tanker, and all the stuff Bruce gets for his Batman gear comes not from Alfred but from his dad's company, which for some reason is involved with making trains AND making all this high tech military stuff that even the military doesn't want. Bruce's voice, when he's Batman, is just Bruce Wayne with a sore throat.

The biggest disappointment was the dialogue. The mentoring bit was too full of hocus pocus that is just repetition of "FEAR this" and "FEAR that" and "OVERCOME fear" that is supposed to be spiritual but results in what you can expect from a session with your psychologist but a thousand times cheesier. The dialogue was so poorly written that in every scene you have at least 3 actors reciting one-liners intended to "lighten up" the (pretentious) mood and garner knee-jerk chuckles from the audience, as you can see from the extremely long list of "memorable quotes". It was like the script writer said to himself "Hey I know, why not stick lots of funny one-liners one after the other so I can show the audience how witty I am". Also, his knowledge of "dialogue" doesn't extend further than questions and answers. For example:

Bruce: Who are you working for? Man: blah blah blah Bruce: Where? Man: blah Bruce: Why? Man: blah Bruce: When? ...ad nauseum

I could go on about more distractions and sheer idiocy (like when the city is sprayed with hallucinogens, Rachel and the random kid are not affected) but that would be beside the point, because the whole movie IS ONE BIG distraction. From other, better, movies that probably cost a quarter of Batman Begin's production cost.

well made action fun

Author: NIALLKENNEDY51 from Ireland
3 June 2005

considering the history of the batman movies you would think that this will be a classic well it is .

the last batman movie was so bad with George Clonney as the caped crusader and also was so disappointing that it nearly made the whole franchise crumble , but batman is back and blacker than ever this time Christian bale is taking up the role and he does a very, well great job as the man himself .

this time the movie focuses on his decent into batman and it is very well told as it is a difficult subject to handle .

all i will leave you with is that this is a very interesting movie and after star wars the summer time has never been better for big budget movies .

Great, fast, myth-making, beautifully filmed...a Nolan movie about Batman

Author: secondtake from United States
21 July 2012

Batman Begins (2005)

I saw this for a second time last night as kind of homework before seeing "Dark Knight Rises" and it is a marvel of movie-making, for sure. It's also filled with crazily exaggerated legends and it gives depth to many characters who have become as important to Batman as the evil enemies he faces. It has a few sections that are expository that slowed it down, but not for long, and some of the action scenes are astonishing technical feats.

This is the first in what has turned out to be a trilogy, and it begins at the beginning, much like movies have done for Spiderman and Superman. Besides being far-fetched (the ninja fighters training our wandering orphan in some mountain retreat are the same ones who sacked Rome, etc.), it at first creates a different kind of movie, less about fighting evil than developing the skills and psychology to be superhuman. And those blue poppies they inhale--well, they comes into play later, too.

So Bruce Wayne gets initiated, returns to Gotham, and slowly gets his equipment compiled, much of it stuff concocted by the wily and reassuring Mr. Fox, played by Morgan Freeman. The butler, played by Michael Caine, is in on the secret duality of our man from the start, and helps him in both practical and moral-boosting ways. It's all exciting and yet warm at the same time. You really wish there was such a Batman, with friends.

Where the movie thins out, even as the action gets increasingly over the top, is even the slightest logic to the plot. You really have to just say, okay, this is a comic book world, and there really might be a plot to destroy Gotham simply because it's reached its peak of civilization. And there really might be a little machine with enough microwave power to vaporize the entire water system of the city. Just go with it.

Certainly we have no trouble believing Batman can come and go like magic, glide with beautiful memory fabric wings, and shoot his rescue rope (like Spiderman) into faraway nooks. We all want to do this, and Christopher Nolan, the director, makes it dramatic like few others have. As many have written, this is the second best adventure hero movie ever. That might be true--there are a few others in line in my book--but it is probably easier to agree that the second in the trilogy, "The Dark Knight," is better than them all.

But this led to that, and it's a great movie for this type. I mean, there are different kinds of movies that might leave you moved and even changed afterwards. Those are great movies. This one is a great movie experience, pure unapologetic entertainment. With lots of human moments and enough depth you can even watch it twice. I just did, and it worked.

Batman Bores

Author: screenman from United Kingdom
22 April 2012

I caught this offering on a freeview channel. And at first I began to wonder if the listings had got screwed-up. Where was Batman? For a seemingly indefinite time, somebody - I suppose it was Bruce Wayne - was faffing about in what I think were the Himalayas. They were mountains anyway. There was a bald-headed monk with a self-satisfied gaze like a hang-over from Quai Chang Kane's adventures, and Wayne getting the crap kicked out of him frequently. Here, I gather, was supposed to be the 'why he became Batman' expose, but the whole boring and verbose pantomime went on for so long that this little grasshopper dozed-off before he could grasp the pebble.

I've awarded 3 ex-gratia stars for whatever I missed because so many people rave about this movie. But judged by the 20 minutes or so of what I did watch I'd offer no stars at all as it couldn't even sustain my attention enough to keep conscious.

I would suggest aspiring viewers fast-forward to about halfway through. Presumably it livens-up a bit.

Batman Begins A Great Reboot To The Series

Author: tburke85 from United States
2 October 2008

This is the Batman movie I've been waiting for. The popular series has been on hiatus after the terrible 1997's Batman and Robin that nearly ruined the franchise. Well Batman is back and better than ever. In Batman Begins acclaimed writer/director Christopher Nolan explores the mysterious origins of the legendary Dark Knight. With an all star cast including Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Katie Holmes, Gary Oldman, Cillian Murphy, Tom Wilkinson, Rutger Hauer, Ken Wanatabe, and Morgan Freeman. You can go wrong with a cast like that. Christian Bale steps into the role of Bruce Wayne and Batman. He's phenomenal in the role playing three very distinct characters in one film pulling it off respectively. He plays the angry grown up Bruce who's full of rage and guilt, the arrogant billionaire playboy persona he shows to the public who spends his days dating beautiful super models and buying things that aren't for sale. Christian also plays Batman and he's the perfect choice to bring this popular character to life in ways that none of the other actors were able to no offense. Bale's fantastic in it and makes us care just as much about Bruce as we do Batman. The voice he came up with is fitting for the character and didn't bother me. Michael Caine is superb as Bruce's most trusted butler Alfred providing comic relief and acts as Bruce's conscious keeping him on the right track. Liam Neeson is solid as the mysterious Ducard who is Bruce's mentor. He offers him guidance and eventually becomes one of the films main villains later on in the movie. Liam is effective as both Bruce's mentor and a formidable foe to Batman. Well done. Katie Holmes is good as Assistant D.A. Rachel Dawes a childhood friend to Bruce and potential love interest. Gary Oldman is excellent as Jim Gordon one of the only honest cops left in Gotham City. Gary is so good you forget that he's acting. He inhabits the role of Gordon and is perfect for it. Cillian Murphy is exceptionally creepy as Dr. Jonathan Crane better known to comic book fans as the twisted Scarecrow. He's a gifted actor and his character does sort of take a back seat to Ra's in the third act but he was still good as the deranged villain. Tom Wilkinson is terrific as the menacing crime boss Carmine Falcone. He's the first villain Bruce faces when he returns to Gotham as Batman and Tom Wilkinson's role in the film may not be large but he proves to be another effective villain (like Neeson, Murphy, and Wanatabe) in the great ensemble cast. Rutger Hauer is solid as the greedy Mr Earle whose trying to take control of Wayne's company in his limited screen time. Ken Wanatabe's impressive as Ra's Al Ghul the cult leader of the League of Shadows. His part is very brief and he doesn't have much dialogue either but he makes the best of the small role of someone you definitely wouldn't want to mess with. Lastly veteran actor Morgan Freeman is fantastic as scientific genius Lucius Fox who works alone in the forgotten Applied Science Divsison located in the basement of Wayne Enterprises where Bruce finds the tools he needs to become Batman. Lucius helps Bruce in his quest of ridding Gotham of crime and corruption. His character may even very well know Bruce is Batman but there's an unspoken understanding and respect between them that grows into an admiring friendship. I quite honestly can't think of one thing about this movie that I didn't like. From director Christopher Nolan daring vision of bringing Batman into a realistic world to the great all star cast who are good in their roles to the exhilarating action sequences that at least felt very realistic and not something that was made up in a computer and of course the re-imagining the Batmobile known as The Tumbler. This Batmobile is truly unlike any other vehicle you've ever seen and they really did build it so the Tumbler can actually do nearly everything it does in the movie. It gets just enough screen time that makes you wanting more of it but in a good way. Also worth mentioning is the music for the movie by Hans Zimmer and James Newton Howard. It matches perfectly with whats happening on the screen and the tone of the film. Batman Begins is a spectacular adventure with plenty of action especially the second half. It's now one of my favorite movies and I can't wait to see what Christopher Nolan has in stored next for the sequel. Nolan has taken this Batman movie and done justice to the character. It has character development, drama, suspense, and humor (from mostly Caine, Freeman, and some from Bale) with just the right amount of action thats well executed including Bruce's fight with Ra's in the Himalayan monastery perched on a mountain, and an intense chase with Batman in the Tumbler on the streets and rooftops of Gotham. The action packed monorail chase sequence finale will have you on the edge of your seat too and if you're not than something's wrong with you. This film had a great balance of character development, action, drama, suspense, and some humor. Nolan is admirable in making this film crafting an intricate story that's a character driven action crime drama that makes you care about Bruce and Batman while he tries to save Gotham from sinister villains instead of just making it into a special effects extravaganza with zero character development, a poorly written plot, and so-so action sequences. Yeah I'm talking about you Spider-man 3 and Transformers 2. Overall I really enjoyed this movie and I recommend it to anyone looking for an entertaining action adventure based on a comic book. Go see it. You won't be disappointed with Batman Begins.

Wow, what a film!

Author: moviemaniac008 from Canada
21 September 2008

I have just seen The Dark Knight, and while I wanted to review it as fast as I could, I felt it might make more sense to at least review it's prequel, Batman Begins. Batman Begins is a really good movie. It focuses on Bruce Wayne's beginnings. How he became Batman, and why he did so. He reflects a lot about his parents' death from a murderer, and gets sent to jail after having his revenge (in other words, shot him to death). In jail, there is a mysterious man that will bring to another mysterious man by the name of Râs-Âl-Ghul, who trains him to become a warrior. And, after harsh choices, Bruce Wayne then becomes Batman.

Let's talk about the special effects. They were great!. Let's judge the actors. They were great (Micheal Caine and Christian Bale in particular). Let's judge the story. It was great! In other words, what I am trying to write here is that Batman Begins is a top-notch movie that is perfect in almost every way possible. At first, I felt the movie might ruin the superhero franchise, because a dark movie like this one usually matches with Drama movies, and not superhero ones. When the movie ended, I felt that the dark sense of the movie suited more. It's just too bad that I can't rate an 11 on IMDb. Just way too bad.

Great start

Author: kurciasbezdalas from Lithuania
20 September 2008

This film is a start for a Christopher Nolan Batman film series (which I hope will continue for a long time). This film is not that good as The Dark Knight but much better than earlier Batman movies. The film is taking itself more seriously and that is what's good about it. I liked the plot very much and also a colorful characters. Maybe the film itself isn't that good as The Dark Knight but the action here is much better and here is much more of it(especially the fighting scenes). A plot, action, acting, costuming, direction - everything was great in this film. So just watch it, especially if you are action movie fan because there is a lot of action.

What can i say? Nolan+Bale+Caine="TOP" Class

Author: crvijay89 from India
23 July 2008

As mentioned above three legendary artists reuniting for a legendary character like Batman is more than just amazing. This movie clearly explains why Christopher Nolan movies are highly rated at IMDb. Recently the same trio combined for "The Dark Knight", a masterpiece sequel for this amazing film, which stormed to the #1 spot among the IMDb top 250 movies pushing the over-rated Godfather down. I didn't see the sequel yet but since its the #1 at IMDb, i have no doubts that its gonna be the best movie of the year. The Dark Knight also features late Heath Ledger, a legend in his own self, as Joker and he should be awarded an Oscar for it. I heard that he scared the s**t out of the audience during his on-screen presence in theaters. I can't wait to see this. "Batman Begins" also helped me to face my own fears without any fear and handle it myself which is earning me more appreciation. So more than just a movie its a lesson for life. The flawless narration, wonderful story, beautiful acting, adrenalin pumping action and emotional contents all packed in to one big action/drama entertainer and is always a treat to watch. Hats off Chris Nolan! you rock!

I'll definitely give it a 9.4/10 rating and it deserves a #2 spot for sure. A must watch for all Batman fans and also Batman haters!