IMDb > Batman Begins (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
Batman Begins

Batman Begins More at IMDbPro »

Page 11 of 269: [Prev][6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [20] [21] [Next]

Almost Perfect.......still beyond my expectations

Author: pranay tigga from United States
16 June 2005

I went seeing this movie already knowing too much about it. I had read the leaked script almost a year ago. Had avidly followed every news about it. But I was surprised to find the movie to be so fresh for me.

The biggest strength of the movie is that it is reality based. The movie bases the myth of Batman in a real world. Maybe it demystifies batman a bit too much. But its a very entertaining to watch how they pull off a believable masked vigilante in a city which could be New York City.

The cast is impeccable. Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne is a study of study of a troubled should tormented by the anger and despair of not being able to avenge his parents' mindless murder. His Batman is certainly the most accurate till date. He portrays it like a madman looking who believes that he really is more than human. The support cast is fabulous. Morgan Freeman, Liam Neeson, Michael Cain, Gary Oldman, Tom Wilkinson, Cilian Murphy play the characters so well that I totally bought some of the lines which might sound a little over the top otherwise. Katie Holmes is bearable, she does enough to do justice to a well written character. Though I would have preferred the character to be Harvey Dent. Cilian's Scarecrow is really creepy.

The action sequences could have been done better, but still are very entertaining. The Batmobile car chase is really thrilling. The fight sequences are brutal but a bit too speedily edited.

The ending leaves you wanting for more. There would surely be sequels.

The movie really captures the essence of Batman. One of the best lines is delivered by Katie Holmes at the end. She says to Bruce something to the effect of "This is your mask, the real you is Batman". That to me is the essence of the myth that is Batman.

Batman Returns to our screens!

Author: mudstuff from Milton Keynes, England
16 June 2005

I don't want to say too much about this film as i wouldn't want to spoil it for others. You can find out all the plot points etc many places.

Right, straight to it. The film is perfection. I didn't know whether Nolan would pull it off. I was really excited at the prospect of a year one/dark night batman film, exploring the origins and being smaller budget. When it all started getting much bigger, i was worried. That has gone now as what we have here is quite simply the best batman film ever and possibly the best comic book movie ever, though its a tie with Sin City which also happens to be the most faithful.

The story was great and not lost under action set pieces, the action was great, the score top notch, great cinematography etc etc.

I really cant recommend this film enough and advise you go and see it. Now

A Batman to Believe in...

Author: colincarltonfilms from rhode island
17 June 2005

Not to be too dramatic but we need a Batman. With all the injustice in our government and dark corners of the world, we need to believe that there could be Batman. And in my thoughts all involved in this film have delivered that to us. You leave the theatre believing in Batman, that you could see Batman saving someone and you see that anyone with the drive and means could be a hero - and thankfully you also see the ramifications, the human aspect; the cuts and wounds Batman receives on Bruce Wayne's body and the choices he must make to do what he must.

I don't agree with comparing this Batman film to Tim Burtons since I feel they are different ideals of Batman and need to be seen as different films. I will leave you with this however; Batman Begins is Batman. The actors are their characters, the film-makers have made a FILM not a two hour waste of time.

Thank you all who were involved, you've brought hope to Batman fans again!

-A humble indie film-maker and comic book geek

If you have any doubts... let them go. This is Batman.

Author: rekit from Chicago, IL. USA
17 June 2005

This is not a continuation of the previous franchise. This is completely independent and completely original. Nolan's vision of Gotham City is amazing. If you liked Burton's version of Batman, you'll love this film. If you DIDN'T like Burton's version of Batman, you'll be relieved by this film.

Goyer's script is very solid, but it's not what makes the film great. It's 85% Nolan's direction, 15% acting/casting. Katie Holmes has the weakest performance, yet it doesn't at all detract from the film as a whole. The focus is on Bale the entire time, with the occasional brilliant performances from Oldman, Freeman, Neeson, Caine and Murphy.

The film is basically split up into two halves: the first is about Bruce Wayne, the second is about Batman. It's preparation, then action. And each half will keep you on your toes the whole time. It starts off unlike anything you'd expect and builds the whole first half. When Wayne finally gets back to Gotham, the audience is ready for Batman and knows exactly what Wayne is feeling about the loss of his parents, the corruption of his city and the fear of losing it.

This is not a stupid action movie. It's a character-driven drama, with some amazing action in it. If you have any hesitancy about seeing another Batman movie, let it go. You've got nothing to worry about. This is how Batman should be portrayed.

Let the intimidation begin!

Author: Andrew Hayter
17 June 2005

Now, I suppose I'm what you could call a longtime Batman fan. (Er, not of the comic books, though. I hardly ever read comics because, frankly I don't have the time for it..) As such,I was pretty much first in line to see the latest incarnation of the Dark Knight on the silver screen. So, I thought I'd post a short review here.

My history with the previous four Batman movies (Okay, so technically there were five films before this one if you count the 1966 movie.) is as follows: I loved the first movie, liked the second one and thought the third one was kinda meh. As for the fourth one, let us never speak of it again.

Now, onto Batman Begins..

Seeing that Warner Bros. had assembled a massive all-star cast and crew (Chris Nolan, David Goyer, Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Liam Neeson, Gary Oldman, Cillian Murphy, Morgan Freeman, Ken Watanabe..) when I went to see it I figured that it would either:

a) rock, b) be OK, or c) be the next Ishtar

To my great delight, the answer is most definitely and without a shadow of a doubt the first choice. For one, the acting is impeccable. I wasn't quite sure if Morgan Freeman could really shine in his role, but he does, as always. As for Christian Bale, though I knew that he is indeed a very talented actor, I also had my doubts about him being right for the part of Bruce Wayne/Batman. But he takes both sides of the role and does them justice, and then some (I'll be damned if there isn't a tiny bit of American Psycho's Patrick Bateman in his rendition of Bruce Wayne as he provides this vain and shallow alter ego to his true identity, which is oddly appropriate). Alfred, played by the stately Michael Caine, excels in his role and manages to bring out new dimensions of his character. In fact, just about the whole cast shines, and essentially all the characters feel much more fleshed out in this movie than the previous iterations.

As for the action, stunts, music, audio and special effects, they are all exquisite and expertly executed. One thing that I noticed is that for the most part there is a distinct lack of CG effects, as Nolan opted to take a more traditional approach to the special effects, explosions and such. The result is a satisfying visual experience that has a great feel to it. The CG in this case simply provides the icing on the cake, instead of trying to be the whole cake, as is the case with too many action films today..

I did have one minor gripe about the film. The angles during the fight scenes were kind of close up and quick-cut, unlike Asian martial arts films where the camera is drawn further back to give a better view of the action. But, as I said, this is a very minor gripe, and it doesn't detract from the experience in any significant way. In a way it also fits in very well with the visual style of the film (you'll see what I mean).

I have no reservations about saying that I absolutely loved this movie, and this is something that I don't say often about movies. Non-fans need not worry, either, as Batman Begins is very accessible to newcomers. To sum it up in three very short sentences: It rocks. Go see it. NOW.

The Dark Knight Reigns

Author: vishr from India
17 June 2005

Well, this movie in my view is the best of all the Batman movies. Christian Bale lived the role, he brought to the screen "The Real" Batman, dark and scary, which was depicted by the creator Bob Kane.

Right from the start, how Bruce Wayne is a victim of his own fears, the way he takes in his own fear and becomes fear himself is terrific. Ending was great, the scene where Gordon shows him 'The Joker' card. I hope they remake all the Batman movies right starting from The Joker. It would be great for all the Batman lovers.

Comparing with Spider-Man, you can't compare these two. They are super-heroes but they are in a different league of their own. Spidey has super powers while, Bruce Wayne uses his money and brain to become a super-hero. Thats where we have to draw the line.

Oh, and by the way THE BATMOBILE IS FANTASTIC.

What Other Batman Films? See This Movie!!

Author: auntetr from Austin/San Marcos, Texas
17 June 2005

Just saw this tonight (Thursday 16 June). When I first heard of the project, I thought "Another one? Christian Bale???" I forgot all that in a hurry! This film is what the others should have been. I found it more credible and realistic than the others and the acting gave it the depth that the others failed to create. The "new" Batmobile ROCKS! Essentially, scrap the other shows as this is not really a "prequel" it is a fresh start. The telling of the parent's demise and the origin of the "Dark Knight" has been retooled, which supports this as a new series even though it hasn't been long since the last Batman. Great to see Sir Michael, the guy from "28 Days Later" and the guy from "The Full Monte" working on this with the impeccable Mr. Freeman. Best movie I have seen this summer. 1. Batman 2. Crash 3. Cinderella Man.

Cheers!

Christopher Nolan: The Man Who Gives Us Batman

Author: matt_3300 from Melbourne, Australia
17 June 2005

I would personally like to thank Christopher Nolan and his team for creating the intricate clockwork of Batman and bringing him and his fears to life. The film winds its way through a series of short flashbacks, telling the story of a man taunted by his fears, confused with emotion and the eternal heartbreak of loss.

The world in which Batman Begins describes truly does reflect the very essence of the inner turmoil faced by Bruce Wayne not only as a man, but as a child. Gone are the merchandise-indulging opportunities, flashy, trashy neons continually flashed with strobe lights and replacing it is a world on the brink of destruction and at a crossroad.

The movie deals with vengeance, revenge and hope. The hope that despite all that is evil and corrupt in this world the inner strength of one person can help save us all (with some help from a few friends and a couple of billion dollars).

Christian Bale not only acts as Bruce Wayne, he owns Bruce Wayne. His description of Batman is deeply powerful and effective. His eyes, and his somewhat pursed lips display power and authority.

Michael Caine's portrayal as Alfred is the mechanism by which the true human side of Bruce Wayne is extracted and the chemistry between the two is touching. Gary Oldman's role as a the street-wise and honest cop torn between doing what is right and turning a blind eye to corruptness to catch the bigger fish, is one that I look forward to being expanded. The relationship between Bale and Oldman will become and integral part of future Batman films.

The rest of the cast simply add to the viewing pleasure of the film notably Liam Neeson and Morgan Freeman. Katie Holmes does a nice job working with Gotham's District Attorney, though sometimes it is hard to ignore her youthful persona.

The action sequences are simply sensational, fully showing us a world of Gotham that resembles a mix of inner city Chicago with the feeling of the back streets of hong kong.

The film is Batman as it should be; a journey of self identification and a quest for justice. Dark and often literally quite frightening, Christopher Nolan has given us a Batman that truly adheres to the very principles on which the dark knight is based upon.

-matteo OK

A movie that redefined what a summer blockbuster should be like

Author: Tapion101 from United States
16 June 2005

Many wonder why Batman Begins is in the top 100 on IMDb top 250. The answer is simply this: This movie redefined what a summer blockbuster should be like.

The summer blockbuster before this was supposed to be a mostly an action/effect based film with a mix of comedy and drama, however the movie in the end was about and memorable for the action and F/X. Batman Begins however, did something different. It had the action, though little F/X. But it made the dramatic elements of the movie just as important as the action. The comedy element stayed the same as it before, thus creating this new genre of film: A dramatic action blockbuster.

Nolan and Bale are the two big people to thank for this new genre. Nolan direction and Bale acting combined created this genre that made you think about the world and your actions, BUT IT ALSO was a fun film that entertained you and had great one-liners.

The messages that you learn from this are valuable in life and ones most should follow. They are real.

However, there is also that fantasy element thrown in this, where your mind is suspended in disbelief, such as the batank "flying on rooftops." This element is actually necessary to the film. For without this, the film is just this character-drama. And without the other element, the film is just another action-film. But combined, you get this dramatic-action that you just can't help but love because there are just too many reasons to love it.

If you're an "art house" guy, you can love the film for the character drama. If you're just a regular movie-goer, you can love it for the action. And if you're like me, who is sort of a mix, you can love it for everything as it has everything from all the genres.

Batman Begins may not be considered to be one of the greatest to most, but most can not deny that this film has redefined what a summer blockbuster should be. From now on, all blockbusters quality will be judged upon this film.

The Batman Fans Have Been Waiting For

Author: biowesker from United States
16 June 2005

When I went to see Batman Begins I tried not to go into the theater expecting too much because that's usually how people end up getting disappointed. However, I found that once the day arrived I couldn't help it. Batman has been with me since childhood and I feel strangely connected to the duality of the Bruce Wayne character. I've always felt that I could relate to him. He is by far the most interesting comic book character simply because he is a real hero. As most people know, Batman is powerless, in a superhero sense. He is a normal human being. As strange as it sounds, that 'flaw' is what makes him an inspiration. He shows us that "It's not who we are underneath, it's what we do that defines us."

After Joel Schumacher desecrated Tim Burton's vision of Gotham City, I had little to no hope for the future of the series. Burton's movies were good, but they lacked the emotion and depth that drives Batman. Batman Forever had potential but seemed to rely more on star power than actual plot. With big names like Val Kilmer, Nicole Kidman, and Jim Carrey they had virtually guaranteed themselves success at the box office. Batman and Batman Returns had big stars, but at least they were inspired. A few years later, Batman and Robin was released, or as I like to call it "Batman on Ice". That was the day the bat died. With pretty-boy George Clooney in the batsuit, Arnold Schwarzenegger as a ridiculous Mr. Freeze, needlessly homoerotic costumes, and a horrible plot it was easily the worst Batman to date and, as I figured, the final nail in the coffin.

When the first shots of Batman Begins were coming out, most notably the pictures of the Batmobile, I wrote it off. I figured there was no way they were going to pull off a realistic Batman. My anticipation slowly built up after about a year, however. And I must admit, I was wrong. Christopher Nolan picked up the pieces in every way, shape, and form possible. Batman Begins has spectacular effects, great casting, and a great plot. I can't really think of any way it could get much better, besides being longer.

Let me say that no one pulls off Batman like Christian Bale. He's tormented, likable, dark, and honorable, but most of all, believable. Believability was something that George Clooney lacked in a big way. Cillian Murphy was dead-on as Jonathan Crane/Scarecrow. One line sticks out specifically, "Would you like to see my mask…?", a line so simple, but expertly delivered. It's a shame there wasn't more of him. Morgan Freeman was excellent as always, and Liam Neeson hasn't lost his touch either.

The scenery is breathtaking, especially in the training scenes. I was impressed at how in-depth Nolan was willing to go with it. And then we have Gotham City. While not quite as fantasy oriented as the Burton/Schumacher rendition, it's a pleasant and welcome change of pace. It's gritty and grim, and most importantly, realistic. Gone is the elaborate Gothic architecture that adorns Burton's films. The new Gotham City is packed with trash, corruption, and crime.

Christopher Nolan has delivered something I never expected, but am pleasantly surprised about. While the film has minor flaws, such as too many quick cuts from fight scenes and some loose ends, they are minor and don't take away from what is one of, if not the best comic book movie to date.