IMDb > The 100 Greatest Movie Stars (2003) (TV) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

The 100 Greatest Movie Stars (TV) More at IMDbPro »

Ha!

Author: MovieAddict2014 from UK
4 December 2004

Ewan McGregor: #9. Kevin Spacey: #4.

WILL SMITH IN THE TOP 50?!!?!

OF ALL-TIME?!

I don't think so.

I've really come to loathe these "specials" by Channel 4. On their list of Best Musicals, "My Fair Lady" was (to my knowledge) not even featured, "Singin' in the Rain" was about #13 and in the top 10 was "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The TV Musical."

It's almost laughable.

It's the equivalent of people having voted "Lord of the Rings" as the greatest film of all time on IMDb - in my opinion many of these people (similar to those who voted for Will Smith as the greatest actor of all time) just don't know much and are relying on their very brief knowledge of film history to form an answer. Most people I talk about movies to truly don't have any interest in anything predating the '90s, they're always raving about the newest crappy blockbuster that I've heard (via IMDb, of all places!) is trash.

But why should I take it so seriously - these are the same people who voted Gen-X actors into the list. I half expected to see Josh Hartnett pop up or something.

An Interesting Turn-out

Author: Greatwhitewhale from London, England
26 July 2003

Al Pacino has been voted the greatest movie star of all time by the British public. But what about the list?

I was very surprised by such people as Robert Downey Jr and Winona Ryder in it. And Kate Winslet came in No. 55. Above Richard Burton, Elizabeth Taylor and Vivien Leigh. And what has she done? Titanic? Quills?

Apparently, Audrey Hepburn is the greatest actress of all time, only coming in at No 13.

Michael Douglas has beaten his own father coming in at No. 100, as Kirk Douglas wasn't even in the list at all!

People have questioned why such people as Laurence Olivier, Alec Guinness and John Gielgud are not in it but this is who the British public voted for, and really it's not about the acting, it's about the movie star quality of these people.

It was an entertaining show to watch though I do wonder why they concentrate on how dodgy these people's private lives are (Hugh Grant for example). Well done, Mr. Pacino.

The Trouble With Democracy ....

Author: Theo Robertson from Isle Of Bute, Scotland
14 August 2004

.... Is that any idiot can cast a vote . Take THE 100 GREATEST MOVIE STARS OF ALL TIME yet another list show from Channel 4 . If we`re talking about movie stars we`re talking about movie stars from all eras of cinema , people like Stan Laurel and Oliver Hardy , Spencer Tracy and Kirk Douglas none of whom actually appeared in the top 100 list

That`s bad enough but Ewan McGregor landed at number 9 ! What an actor who is only convincing playing an Edinburgh junkie is the 9th greatest movie star ever ! I`d thought maybe STAR WAR fans had stuffed the poll but that theory collapsed when I realised Alec Guiness didn`t make the list . If McGregor deserves to be number 9 then the entire cast of EASTENDERS deserve to be in the top 50 somewhere . Kevin Spacey landed at the lofty heights of number 4 , another travesty .

I will give some of the voters credit for NOT voting DeNiro ( Number 2 ) as the greatest ever movie star . Bob has shamefully let himself down by continually appearing in B movies for many years whilst the winner of the poll Al Pacino does give the impression he has some standards when it comes to appearing in films

A very flawed list and I`m getting really fed up with these type of shows from Channel 4 . That`s why I didn`t vote in their meaningless poll

The 100 Greatest Movie Stars

Author: Jackson Booth-Millard from United Kingdom
13 June 2005

This was probably one of the most essential 100 Greatest that I can remember, I just needed to know who the public (including me) had voted as the greatest movie star. Narrated by Richard E. Grant, and appearing contributions from some of the stars themselves, and Gabriel Byrne, Colin Farrell, Stephen Frears, Peter Howitt, Mark Kermode, James King, Kyle MacLachlan, Michael Madsen, Christopher Nolan, Bryan Singer, Martin Scorsese and Ray Winstone. Stars in the list are Michael Douglas, Halle Berry, Burt Reynolds (interviewed), Wesley Snipes, Uma Thurman, Leonardo DiCaprio, Kevin Costner (interviewed), Julie Christie (interviewed), Gerard Depardieu, Gwyneth Paltrow, Juliette Binoche (interviewed), Winona Ryder, Grace Kelly, Daniel Day-Lewis (interviewed), Doris Day, Ralph Fiennes (interviewed), Judy Garland, Fred Astaire, Dennis Hopper (interviewed), Vivien Leigh, Oliver Reed, Dame Elizabeth Taylor, Richard Gere, Meg Ryan, Angelina Jolie, Hugh Grant, George Clooney, Woody Allen, River Phoenix, Eddie Murphy, Gene Kelly, Cameron Diaz, Clark Gable, Robert Downey Jr., Robert Redford, Jude Law, John Malkovich, Meryl Streep, Peter Sellers, John Wayne, Kate Winslet, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Harvey Keitel, Sidney Poitier, Will Smith, Sir Charlie Chaplin, Bruce Lee, John Cusack, Jim Carrey, John Travolta, Sir Michael Caine (interviewed), Jack Lemmon, Gene Hackman (interviewed), Jackie Chan (interviewed), Gary Oldman (interviewed), Marilyn Monroe, Katherine Hepburn, Cate Blanchett (interviewed), Humpherey Bogart, Bruce Willis, Christopher Walken (interviewed), Nicholas Cage, Tom Cruise, Christopher Lee (interviewed), Marlon Brando, Julia Roberts, Denzel Washington, Morgan Freeman (interviewed), Russell Crowe, Susan Sarandon (interviewed), Dustin Hoffman, Jodie Foster, Johnny Depp, Nicole Kidman, Sigourney Weaver (interviewed), Robin Williams, Clint Eastwood, Mel Gibson, Brad Pitt, Steve McQueen, Audrey Hepburn, James Stewart, Samuel L. Jackson, Cary Grant, Ewan McGregor, Sir Sean Connery, Sir Anthony Hopkins, Jack Nicholson, Harrison Ford, Kevin Spacey, Tom Hanks, Robert De Niro, and the deserved number one Al Pacino (interviewed). Outstanding!