IMDb > The Wedding Date (2005) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
The Wedding Date

The Wedding Date More at IMDbPro »

Page 9 of 26: [Prev][4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [17] [18] [19] [Next]

Undependable Chick Flick

Author: TrueReview from New York City
4 May 2005

Although completely within the mold of the "click flick", this movie didn't click at all. I saw The Wedding Date with my girlfriend (yes, she brought me to it; repayment for making her watch Blade Trinity ;-) and was completely disappointed. I walked in with NO expectations whatsoever, and was STILL disappointed? How is that possible?

The problem with this movie seemed to be two things. The editing was very choppy, and as a result, scenes didn't mesh, characters weren't developed, there weren't clear reasons for some of the "romantic/outrageous" things that occurred, and the movie took on a very (unintentional, mind you) zig zaggy storyline. In the end, you just didn't feel like you cared about the characters and didn't understand the importance of their motives. Coupled with this was the fact that this movie had no originality. Yes it is a standard wedding/desperate single woman "chick flick", but there is so much room for originality regardless, and this movie completely flopped in this regard.

I would not recommend this film to anyone willing to spend money, or go for a relaxing night with a date. The only way I got through it was by staying angry by repeatedly reminding myself that I paid to see it, and as for my girlfriend, she found peace of mind by falling asleep!

You want a fun, witty, slightly original flick with the same storyline to see with your girlfriend/ friend, go see HITCH with Will Smith.

Sorry, but it's the Truth.

Worst romantic comedy ever

Author: lmerritt74 from United States
25 February 2005

This is absolutely the worst romantic comedy I have ever seen. I am a fan of the genre, but films such as My Best Friend's Wedding put this movie to shame. The plot was formulaic yet unconvincing. The actors were put in an unenviable position because there was nowhere for them to take this drivel. The worst thing of all is that you have two very likable actor in Dermot Mulroney and Debra Messing and their talents are totally wasted. Had this film actually given depth to their characters (particluarly Mulroney's) instead of relying upon inane plot twists it might actually have been worth seeing. I can't even recommend this movie for a DVD or VHS rental, it's pure garbage.

A life changed forever

Author: Christian Bale from USA
7 June 2014

When somebody ask me what my favorite movie is it's to hard to pick just one, it's pretty much impossible. Now if you asked me the worst, I'd tell them this.........

I was at home one night as a kid and remember my mom made me stay inside for some reason. My sisters were watching the wedding date and I sat down and watched the biggest mistake of my life. That's when my life changed. I started watching this movie and within seconds I was begging my sisters to watch something else. They tortured me by saying no. For some reason I really believed in time they would snap back into reality and notice what garbage the wedding date is and then the torture would all be over. I held on to hope. I remember I made a effort to explain how horrendous the wedding date movie was, but sadly their brains were already turn into romantic comedy goo(romantic comedy goo syndrome is a side effect only women get). I know what you're thinking, why didn't I just get up and and stop watching it. The question of why I took this abuse is still unclear to me to this day, and also a huge regret I live with more than a decade later.

This movie isn't just julia roberts horrible, it's far beyond that. Which is disturbing to think about. Watching the wedding date is the lowest point that I have unfortunately reached so far in my life. I beg if anything is out there watching over me to never have me fall so far down again.

I guess on the positive side it made me not just more of a man but more of a good human being by never encouraging this type of movie to be made. It changed how I approached romantic comedies. Even though I'm scared to be in the same room when one of them is being viewed, I DO NOT fear them.

By the way if you think this is a fluke and it can't be that bad you are just wrong. My neighbor was watching the wedding date with his girlfriend and he just dropped dead. Luckily his dad was home and he was able to provide cardiopulmonary resuscitation. He would come back to life and just die again. His dad ended up bringing him back to life 4 times until the electricity miraculously ended up going out, which saved him from a terrible awful death.

So let it be known that the wedding date is a true demon.

P.S. The males who are reading this need to be aware. Since viewing this movie I have devoted my life to researching RCDS (Romantic Comedy Death Syndrome) and have discovered that males have a gene that is destroyed when viewing romantic comedies. This gene is needed for males to live. I call it the Arnold Schwarzenegger gene. The gene can handle only very very small amounts of romantic comedies but if you view to many because of your girlfriend you will die. To replenish the damage done to the gene the following needs to be done ASAP. My research indicates that viewing Arnold Schwarzenegger movies while completely plastered on vodka will very slowly regenerate the gene. If you feel you've damaged the gene extensively try not shaving for a month, curse a lot, eat red meat, buy a framed picture of John Wanye and watch plenty of boxing (Preferably the 1920-1970 era's of boxing). So if you know a victim of RCDS I'm deeply sorry for your lost and Good Luck to you!

Four weddings and a Diary in Notting Hill

Author: jimbocam from United Kingdom
27 April 2005

Avoid at all costs.

There is not a single original idea in this film. It is neither funny nor touching, there is no chemistry between Messing and the charisma-free Mulroney and everyone is trying to hard without succeeding on any level.

It is a cobbling together of elements from Four Weddings & a Funeral, Bridget Jones's Diary, Notting Hill and Pretty Woman but lacks the charm of all of its influences.

It is depressing that anyone thought this was worth the time and money required to bring it to the screen.

Cinematic excrement.

No Spoiler Alert Necessary

Author: vivalarsx from Portland, Oregon
1 February 2005

A romantic comedy, by virtue of its very genre, is going to end only one way: with the couple getting together. The pleasures to be had in watching one, though, is in the journey to the happy ending. There are very few pleasures to be had in The Wedding Date, however. There are problems from the get-go. Even in a movie of this type that require suspension of disbelief, it is too easy to spot big gaps of logic: for instance, we are asked to believe that a woman who spends $6000 on a male escort to pretend to be her boyfriend would 1) never meet him beforehand and 2) not bother to fill him in on the facts of her life. They are apparently just going to "wing it" when meeting her family. The movie seems chopped down from a much larger picture throughout. A woman comes up to the gigolo at a party, says "I've seen you before," and is promptly never seen again; we expect her to show up and expose the ruse, but nothing comes from it. And the central couple seems to have fallen in love off-camera; we get no sense of any deepening interest or understanding of each other--they just suddenly are "in love" (despite the fact that they have little chemistry). Thank heavens we have a couple of good performers to lead us over the bumpy patches. Sarah Parish, as Kat's tarty cousin TJ (I don't think we even learn her name until the little subtitle-captions wrapping up the action) may be playing a rom-com cliché role, but she fills out the role with rude good humor, and seems to have some sort of life outside of the weekend in the film. And Jack Davenport, as the dunderhead groom-to-be, Ed, creates a full character out of thin air. Ed is someone the other characters laugh at frequently, but his foolishness is lovable, and Davenport uses body language as much as his amusing dialogue to give real heft to Ed. He's the lightest, most throwaway character in the movie, but Jack Davenport makes him the most compelling. Ed is a bit of a doofus, yes, but Ed's no fool. Now, if we could have had a movie built around him...well, it probably wouldn't have been much better--I think Ed is made to be taken in small doses--but at least something would have been at stake. As it is, there is no real emotional investment in The Wedding Date, and no real joy in the outcome.

Weak Rom Com

Author: christian123
18 April 2005

Debra Messing plays Kat Ellis, a neurotic single woman, who hires a male escort (Dermot Mulroney) to play her boyfriend as she attends her sister's wedding where she knows her ex-fiancé will be the best man.

The film is just as predictable as the story is generic. There are no surprises and The Wedding Date really is a pointless movie that will make you wonder why anyone bothered making it. The comparisons to other movies are endless and a little tiring. How much longer will they continue making the same movie? Hopefully, the answer is very soon. Usually I can tolerate films like The Wedding Date but with unlikable leads, it's a little harder this time around. Debra Messing is okay on Will and Grace but she's completely charm less here. It's hard to feel sorry for her character because she really isn't very likable. Dermot Mulroney is even worse, offering a completely dull and mundane performance. He has very little charisma and he can't succeed as a leading man.

The chemistry between Debra and Dermot is almost non existent. It's hard to root for these characters when it's clearly obvious that they don't belong with each other. The only actress to offer an engaging performance is Amy Adams. It's too bad her talents are wasted though she steals every scene she's in. Clare Kilner does an okay job at directing. She keeps the film short and it moves along pretty fast so at least the audience won't be in too much pain. While the movie is pretty bad, it's also pretty harmless and bland. It's a safe movie that offers absolutely nothing new to it's audience. Most romantic comedies that come out these days are made to make some money. It would be nice if they spent a little more time on them but apparently that's asking for too much. In the end, there really is no reason to watch The Wedding Date and it's better if you just skip the movie. Rating 3/10

Horrible

Author: sexwizardmoustache from Australia
11 November 2017

In an attempt to adhere to its genre and ensure happy endings all around, the movie reaches a thoroughly contrived and unsatisfying conclusion.

There is no way, if you found out your sister had been having an affair with your partner of 7 years and fiancé and that was the reason he had left you that you would stay at her wedding or comfort her the next day while she is crying because she told her husband to be the truth and he ditched her. I am pretty sure the sane thing in that situation would be to ditch the wedding and never speak to her again.

Similarly, there is no way that if you just found out the woman you are about to marry has been sleeping with your best friend and best man, that you would run off and then 2 seconds later, return and proceed to marry this person.

This movie should have ended with the wedding being called off, and an X number of years later scene where the sister bumps into Messings' character and they reconcile or something. And then maybe the sister attends Messings wedding to the escort guy and meets someone new. Or brings an escort of her own because her ex fiancé will be there and then they eventually reconcile.

There is no conceivable way that after finding out about the sister's betrayal, that the audience would want an immediate happy ending for this person, as in her sister and husband to be forgive her almost instantly. It is utterly ludicrous and reduces the entire movie to a joke. Once the imbecile fiancé started running back to the church to marry his cheating fiancé, I turned off the movie straight away because I will not give the featherbrained writers of this garbage the satisfaction of watching such a pathetic conclusion to a movie.

Enjoyable romantic escapism

Author: skpn123 from Australia
1 December 2016

Should you be looking for something you can watch while needing a distraction from boring paperwork or mundane housework, that is light, fun, fast moving and so not needing to be taken seriously 'The Wedding Date' is perfect! It has the potential to rescue any viewer from cynicism and pessimism or just a bad mood. There is lovely chemistry between the leads and though the story is completely unbelievable the leads (both couples) are lovely together. This 'feel good' movie is a nice reminder that life does not need to be always serious, and while some people are simply not redeemable that is, they are not good boyfriends or partners, and can waste our time and our life, there are always other fish in the sea.

Fair rom com

Author: Davis P from United States
28 February 2016

The Wedding Date (2005) is a fair and decent romantic comedy. I really did enjoy the casting, Debra Messing did a good job and Amy Adams did as well, and of course the very sexy Dermot was the perfect romantic interest. Dermot's acting was very real and impressive, and the chemistry between all the actors on screen was spot on too. The script is pretty decent and alright, not the greatest dialogue in the world, but it sufficed. The sex scene was well shot and was very sweet, gentle, and sensual, which is how a good sex scene should work. I liked the romance and to be honest, the film got better as it went on. Early on the movie was dragging some, and it needed to pick up the pace. The movie as I said, got better with that as it went along. And I didn't mind seeing Dermot strip down lol, what can I say, it was nice. And the cousin in the movie was hilarious, loved her character. 6/10

Misses on so many fronts

Author: jdonalds-5 from United States
21 January 2016

This movie is so light weight it fails to be interesting. At best, and that's a long shot, it is a chick flick.

Much of the plot isn't believable which should be okay for a comedy but the trouble is this isn't funny so it's not a comedy. It is billed as a comedy but I didn't laugh once.

Nick Mercer is a dull character throughout the whole movie.

The amount Kat paid for a weekend with Nick was ridiculous.

I'll be sure to watch out for director Paul Weiland in future movies so I won't wast the time watching them.

Cinematography is good, which is the best thing I can say about the movie.

Sorry for those who liked this movie. It's just my opinion.