IMDb > The Purifiers (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]

Absolute piece of trash.

Author: aeon_static from United States
19 December 2005

Wow. Just . . . Wow. It's movies like this that make me wonder how some people even began to think they could get anywhere in the business.

This is one of the worst movies I have ever seen. Ever. The way this movie was directed has "omg, I think I'm a freaking genius" splotched all over it, but sadly, nobody but this lame director will agree with that.

The absolute *worst* part of this film is the editing. It's atrocious. Shots that should be longer are WAY too short, and shots that should be shorter are WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY too long. I mean... I'm seriously astonished here. What were they thinking? The second worst part of this film is the fighting - if you call it fighting. It's sad. Really. It will make you depressed.

Man, and to think I wasted almost an hour and a half of my precious time on this. Reader, do yourself a favor and don't even go near this... This "film", as it claims to be.

A UK Bore...

Author: Jaunty2006 from United States
4 May 2006

This film is pretty bad. Directed by 16 Years Of Alcohol's Richard Jobson this film tries hard to be a modern retake on The Warriors but ends up more like a film version of the ZX Spectrum computer game Renegade (but with worse graphics).

Getting past the glaringly obvious inaccuracies in the story, the films biggest flaw is the fact the every action scene is in slow motion. The logic behind this is baffling. It takes what would be a 40 min film and makes it clock in at a rather boring hour and a half. And even then what is left is badly put together and brings back memories of poor 80's action films (step up Don Wilson) But beyond even that no one seems to care.

Alexander sleep walks through the film, 'Lord Of The Rings' Monaghan just looks bored and the talented support cast hardly get a look in.

In short this film is just appalling and has the privilege (in my opinion) of being the worse film funded by the UK lottery fund yet… and that's saying something!

Oh My Giddy Aunt!

Author: turtlehat from Australia
2 May 2005

I was casually shelving movies at my work today (a blockbuster store) and I saw a movie that caught my eye as I saw the words "From Lost" on it. So I picked it up, expecting it to have some minor character from lost in it considering I had never heard of the movie before when … A movie with Dom in it about martial Arts… How could it not be awesome!?!?

Well… Unfortunately, to tell the truth, I thought it is pretty bad. I wanted to like it, and I tried my best, but it was just so boring!

To tell the truth I only watched 3/4 of it… I just could not make myself watch the end it was that bad. I could probably bring myself to watch the end or the whole movie again... but only if every single other movie in the world decided to spontaneously combust.

I know everybody had their own opinion but honestly… and I am not just saying this but I do not think any body would like this film. I think this is the reason I had never heard of it… cause it is was not that successful.

-Annika

Horrible, horrible movie.

Author: kingdio from California, United States
5 September 2005

This movie is so horrible, it makes Rollerball with Dean Cain look like a masterpiece. In an over-stylized and underacted martial arts debacle, Richard Jobson manages to torture the audience for an hour and twenty minutes with slow motion fight sequences nobody cares about but him. I won't get into the plot since it speaks for itself. Not a lot of thought went into it and can be summarized as follows: in some city run by rival karate gangs, only one gang has the guts and morality to stand up to the evil Moses, the gang boss bent on uniting the gangs for evil purposes. I don't exaggerate when I say that's as deep movie went into it as well.

With some of the worst martial sequences ever defecate onto film, this movie is sure to leave you kicking the DVD out of your player long before the final credits. The fight sequences are at times shown on a split a screen, with so much cutting and slow motion, you can't tell who's fighting who. Luckily, you don't really care. There is actually narratives by the main character, an inside look into his philosophical musings, that are actually so cheezy and out of place, it's sadly comical. I think SOMEBODY takes themselves too serious. Definitely not worth using a free rental for.

I would advise AGAINST watching this...

Author: Dave Paley from Raindance, London
16 October 2004

I would advise AGAINST watching this...there's better things to do with your time and/or money. If, for some reason, you ARE gonna be subjected to this, don't expect ANY elements of many sci-fi/action films - no realistic martial arts; no gore; no sex, no logic - virtually no attempts to string together something that is a passable movie. So, it's a no-no, all the way. Rigid acting; illogical continuity (a girl goes off to find a phone box to make an emergency call, telling the guy who see has just seen using his mobile phone), inexplicable jump cuts are common (why did one guy just teleport on to the middle of an ice rink, in another example a girl surrounded by a biker gang suddenly appears on the outside of their ring?). The plot is simple: Copy 'The Warriors', just add a bid of poor martial arts (i.e. four glow sticks are thrashed around in a otherwise black screen to represent a fight, absolute childish crap!) and no one will know the difference, nah! The films title doesn't seem to make any real sense until after watching this movie you'd wish your mind could be purified of the memory of it! I WILLED it to end... from the 90 mins of the Purifiers, you easily have 30 mins of characters running around the place with annoying bad music, including the director singing with his almost forgotten pop band the Skids. That leaves, say, 60 mins of attempting to clone 'The Warriors', but done so badly your jaw will remain hanging throughout this sorry affair. This is not a movie. This is not an essay about a movie. This does not bear any resemblance with entertainment or cheesy fun or anything connected with the movie business. There are some movies which are so bad you can find them amusing, fun, easy to follow because of their badness... well, fascinating stuff. The only fascinating thing here is the will of the director to show us how badly he can try to rip off a classic which he wrongly believes people have forgotten, total boredom is the honest result. This is probably one of the only movies in all movie history where a blank screen can be a better spectacle...Yes it really is that bad!

'Purifiers' vs 'Left For Dead'

Author: kickingbuttssince1976 from UK
4 October 2005

Got this film along with a couple of other direct to DVD martial arts films.

This film showed great promise but, alas, it sucked. The cast were good but most of the most talented guys seemed under used and McKidd and the hobbit were seriously miscast (come on guys cast fighters as fighters not actors as fighters and fighters as actors).

The biggest flaw about this was it's use of slow motion... god if they'd taken all that out the film would have been 5 mins long!!! Everything about this film is wrong... the direction, casting, shots, production... it just feels cheap and fake.

Strangely I ordered another UK action film at the same time that shared cast members like Gordon Alexander, Brendan Carr, Chirs Jones, Ashley Beck, Oliver Hollis and others called 'Left For Dead'. Whilst that has a seriously reduced budget in comparison, for all it's faults, it was head and shouters above this piece of tosh! 'Left For Dead' used the action stars to the best of their abilities and whilst the Purifiers attempted to rip of the Warriors (and looked cheap doing it) 'Left For Dead' ripped off everything from payback, Fist Of Fury and others and whilst it does occasionally look cheap at least the story, action and way it embraced its budget far exceeded this film.

I rated 'Left For Dead' as a 8 whilst this gets a 2. What does this mean? Occasionally all you need is talent, invention and excitement rather than budget, names and sloooooooooooow moooootiiiiioooon! In brief : if your gunna watch one Uk martial arts film this year don't get this. get 'Left For Dead'.

Edinburgh film festival will never recover!

Author: Richard Kingdom from Edinburgh Festival, Scotland
23 August 2004

Lots of lovely shots of urban wastelands and futuristic cityscapes generate initial promise. BUT one would expect a fighting movie to be realistic...if you're going to bother making a British MA movie the fights have to look good. As they are trying to emphasize "fancy" moments they ruin it because in slow motion tricks of how they did stuff (eg. Stand in's) is sadly revealed and fighting in slow motion does not look all that pretty if it's not up to standard (only Jet Li and Bruce Lee are masters of it). I would expect a better job on that to be a prerequisite of a MA (martial Arts) movie. In a nutshell it's a painfully simplistic remake of that old gang movie "The Warriors" but with MA added, the writing though is very poor and has very few good lines, mostly just a load of half-baked re-hashed ideas but chances are you aren't watching this movie for the plot! No, most of us came for the fighting and, in that regard the film is not worth seeing. Jobson, (the director) focuses on showing us the difficult moves by using slow-mo occasionally but what he forgets to do is inject any of the fights with any real excitement, tension or passion – even the last fight seems rather by the numbers in terms of watching it; I observed it rather than got into it! His material is weak, I guess he enjoyed himself making this movie more than I or anybody else watching it will! The other supporting fighters are OK but wasted, few really make an impact or are just to paper thin for you to care about, it's just a shame that plotting, dialogue, structure, tone and acting are pretty much mediocre at best, I really, no desperately wanted this film to work!

Overall I guess the quasi-political pretensions of this film, more than anything else, killed it dead for me, you know the kids can look after themselves type (Summer Holiday mentality) stuff that died in the sixties, why resurrect it...naff, it seems to be the curse of all British filmmakers that they believe they must make worthy films? The fights lack passion and excitement but are quite fun to watch in a comical way if you compare them to the similarly themed recent film from Asia, Volcano High, which was thankfully much more tongue-in-cheek. I saw Jobson's first film at the festival last year, it showed real promise, if being heavy viewing, his laziness now though has caught him out with this one; not a really bad all told, but not much cop neither. To sum up - The plot: is empty, if not silly. The arch of the story was really not going anywhere. Character depth: nonexistent. The fight scenes: The one - and only - thing I really wanted to see work were cumbersome and unrealistic. Without it seemed any camera movement (could they not afford tracks?)loads of quick editing failed to hide the fact that the fights were just not very good, all of it, just embarrassing. But there is worse, I guess. There was some effort put into the costumes and the attempt to keep up the semblance of a story. But it was just too shallow and empty beneath to redeem this movie. Good, though, if you have other things to do and just want something to run in the background when it eventually makes it to free TV. You can just look at the movie from time to time and are certain not to miss anything of importance. So disappointed I could spit!

Stay away from this DVD

Author: gab11@videotron.ca
14 September 2006

If you look at the DVD you might be interested to rent or buy it... Don't make that mistake. When I was looking at the DVD on the video club, story was looking promising, Dominic Monaghan, Karate, Science-fiction,cute actress, everything that could make a movie fun to watch. But it doesn't, not even near fun to watch. -Dominic Mohaghan have the 4th role in this movie but they tried to sell that movie in Canada with him on the DVD. -Combat scenes are bad, too many slow motion -No sex, no gore, no real sci-fi except 2-3 scenes at the beginning. Basically NO REASON to rent/buy/copy this DVD. I don't even know why Dominic Monaghan accepted to be in this movie...

Not The Best UK Action Movie This Year...

Author: Toni Diego (sweatcheeks@e-mile.co.uk) from United Kingdom
14 February 2006

I don't normally DO action or martial arts films. I'm a girly girl. But every so often you have to relent and let the boyfriend watch something HE wants.

The Purifiers was it. He followed the production of this in magazines in the UK like Impact and Combat along with another UK action feature. We had a double bill of this and Richard Jobson's 'Purifiers'.

Comparing the two is like chalk and cheese (although they both share similar actors and stunt men and where made around the same time). One is interesting. Enjoyable. Fun. And exciting. The other is The Purifiers.

If you have the choice of watching one or the other Left For Dead is the one to go with.

This film is just dull, pointless and badly acted toss. Alexander should be shot for crimes against acting. Oh well could be worse... at least I had the momory of Left For Dead to erase this!

So bad

Author: CountZero313 from Japan
1 January 2005

I really wanted to like this film. On one hand, the idea of a 'Glasgow kung fu film' had the alarm bells ringing, but Jobson's enthusiastic introduction and plea for more genre movies in Scottish film- making assuaged my fears, albeit temporarily, as he went on to say 'story isn't so important' (it's EVERYTHING, imho). I've read the other reviews to try and find the positives, to see if I missed anything. Apart from Dom's sexual magnetism, I don't think I have missed anything. The story, when it appears, is a rip-off of The Warriors, the dialogue is stilted (McKidd's Moses spouting the most clichéd guff), the fight scenes hackneyed (far too much slow- motion). It wouldn't be fair to comment on the acting as the writing gave the actors nothing to work with. There are some scenes where the director is tipping his hat to famous kung-fu movies (e.g. the fight in the restaurant), but instead of the intended tribute, they smack of insults.

I know this was low budget, but with a script as bad as this it should never have been made in the first place. I like Jobson and I want to get behind Scottish filmmakers; I'm hoping 'Sixteen Years of Alcohol' will be a better film. It can't be worse.

Page 1 of 4:[1] [2] [3] [4] [Next]