Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers (Video 2004) Poster

25 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Mickey is still Kickin'
Tex Nickle27 July 2005
I was visiting my grandkids last week and after a long day of activities, and a family supper, my daughter asked me if I wanted to go down to the T.V. room and watch a movie with the kids.

At that moment it sounded like the worst idea I had heard in a long time. I had visions of watching some 3D flying robots or some brightly colored animated ponies. So, imagine my surprise when they said they wanted to watch their Mickey Mouse movie.

I've been around a long time and I can remember seeing Mickey shorts at the theater when I was a boy, and I had no idea that the kids today even knew who the little mouse was. In addition, I hadn't heard about any Mickey Mouse movies in a very long time, so I was intrigued to see what this movie that the kids all wanted to see was all about.

And let me tell you I sat down on the couch with my grandkids all around me and we all laughed at Mickey, Donald, and Goofy, as they barreled through their own wacky version of the Three Musketeers tale. The girls loved the Princess Minnie most, while the boys like the swash-buckling swordplay. We all like the fun music, with the very funny words.

I wondered if this had been some old movie that got lost in the Disney vaults, it was that good, and had such a timeless feel.

If you want to see a nice little family film that everyone in the house can have some fun with, I recommend this new Mickey Mouse movie to you and yours with full enthusiasm.

I'm Tex Nickle and I'm telling you that "Mickey is still Kickin'"
9 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I thought I wouldn't say this, but I enjoyed it!
TheLittleSongbird7 May 2009
When people hear the words direct-to-video, they groan, though actually most of them aren't that bad. Two or three of them are awful, like Cinderella 2, but this one belongs up there with one of the more entertaining films.

The animation is not that bad at all. Most of it is very colourful, though in the more sinister bits it is a little flat. I liked the songs also, with some very funny lyrics(and random in some of them)set to the works of classical composers like Beethoven and Grieg.

The story, while not very faithful to the classic tale, is very nice, and goes at a fast pace. Although, the film could have done with being 5 to 10 minutes longer. The plot has some funny twists, with Captain Pete plotting to kidnap Princess Minnie and take over as ruler. A bit over-familiar, but it is decorated with some very funny sword fights, and a very funny scene in the opera house.

The voice talents are top notch, especially Jim Cummings as Pete. In fact all the characters were very well-done, but the short duration didn't allow the script to fully develop.

Anyway, despite the flaws, I really liked it, so I will award a 7/10, for the humour and the characters. Bethany Cox.
4 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very funny, well-done and musical!
Mightyzebra24 December 2007
Good things about this film: Very good humour, at least one laugh every few minutes, good use of classical music for songs, good animation, sweet simple images of Versailles, good talent and a good job of Mickey and his friends! :-)

A tortoise in the studio is very excited about his comic about the three musketeers and cannot help "singing along". When the narrator of a TV programme falls down a hole in the floor, the poor tortoise ends up taking the narrator's place and reads out his comic. He begins with Mickey Donald and Goofy struggling to survive in the gutter. Then they meet the royal musketeers...

Good for any Mickey Mouse fan and any lover of classical music used by Disney, people who like good quality humour (both slightly slapstick and humour) and cartoon things which are CGI free!

Enjoy "Mickey, Donald, Goofy: The Three Musketeers! :-)

7 and a half out of ten.
5 out of 6 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
I was really hoping for something special when Mickey, Donald, and Goofy made their feature-length debut
TheUnknown837-120 October 2012
Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, and Goofy have been appearing together in animated skits for the better part of eighty years and have gone through a number of hilarious, and sometimes touching misadventures. I personally am very fond of "Mickey's Trailer," the 1938 Technicolor short in which the three of them made a somewhat haphazard journey taking their mobile home over a mount, especially when Goofy, who was driving, left the motor running as he ran inside to get breakfast. They've also been in a lot of humorous contemporary adventures, so it is rather surprising that their first feature-length movie together is not all that impressive. It's not a bad movie, although there were some things in it I genuinely hated, and its sixty-minute length makes it easily durable, but I really wanted this movie to hit harder. I wanted more laughs, more heart, more of that wonderful sensation that great animation can give us.

In the movie, the three mishaps stumble through predicament after predicament not as window-washers, not as locksmiths, not as painters, but as Alexandre Dumas's Three Musketeers. That is, loosely. To the movie's credit, it makes the appropriate choice of meshing the novel's 18th century setting with contemporary elements: the palace Mickey, Donald, and Goofy tend to is equipped with running water; a trio of hooded villains unsuccessfully attempt to assassinate Princess Minnie Mouse with an iron safe; Donald Duck tears off his uniform to reveal his traditional sailor attire. In the midst of their attempts to protect Minnie, the story is narrated by a singing turtle with a French accent, who stops in now and then with a few too many songs. The songs are a bold move, as they are set to the pattern of classical music. The one I liked the most was "Wings of Love," set to the Johann Strauss masterpiece "Blue Dunabe." I even got a chuckle out of a berating song toward Donald with Beethoven's Fifth thumping in the background. I was not, however, appeased by the opening and closing Musketeer themes—modeled after "Orpheus In the Underworld"—and could not stand for a second "Chains of Love" in which villainous Clarabelle Cow and affable Goofy fall instantaneously in love.

This segues into another problem I have with the story. It does not have much heart or sense of place, because it frequently twists its plot with left-field tricks. One of the movie's lamest gimmicks regards Donald Duck. At the beginning, he's supposed to be a coward, and when faced with danger, instead of losing his famous temper, he physically transfigures from a duck into a chicken. Literally. His beak shrinks down, he grows a red plumage, and he goes "Buck-Buck!" Ignoring the fact that I personally don't like it when Goofy gets a love interest, the romance that sparks between him and Clarabelle is out-of-the-blue, underwritten, and utterly pointless. To just have him escape her by slipping on a banana peel or driving her bonkers with his usual naivety as she attempts to throw him off a bridge would have been far more effective. The chemistry between Donald Duck and Daisy Duck is absolutely nonexistent, making their finale together even more useless. These two characters have worked together very well in the past, in the cartoons, when they are given time to work and play off each other. Not here.

But most saddening is how little is done between Mickey and Minnie. These are two of the cutest, most likable animation couples in history, and the screenplay gives them very little to do. Everything seems forced, as if the filmmakers threw it in because they were expected to. The scene where they first meet, where Mickey arrives as one of Minnie's new bodyguards, starts off charming and then slides into syrupy kitsch. They have a handful of smaller moments, but the big one in the middle still left me wanting more. As much as I liked the "Wings of Love" song, which plays behind them as they bond on a trip back to Paris, I would have preferred to see them banter and charm each other. Yes, they've been doing exactly that for more than seventy years, but that formula has not yet run out of steam. Not for me, at least.

There were some things I did enjoy. I really liked the directing by Donovan Cook; he does a terrific job at staging his animated sequences in wide-screen. Not everything is framed as though for a square screen. The defining moment is where Peg-Leg Pete (playing, obviously, the bad guy) is told that he needs to recruit bodyguards for Minnie. He looks past her and sees our three heroes bungling as they try to wash windows. The shot is brilliantly set in extreme-wide focus, so we see everything. A lesser director would have done it comic-strip style, cutting from Pete to the Musketeers, then back to Pete, then the Musketeers, and so forth. Mr. Cook toggles between wide and close shots very deftly, and his misc en scenes I appealing. I also really liked the usual Disney animation with its plethora of glorious colors in a world that really seems alive with detail. And I did enjoy most of the movie's beginning, with our heroes dreaming about becoming musketeers.

The second half of the movie, however, completely thuds, especially in its limp finale at an opera where the Musketeers battle with Peg-Leg Pete and the hooded figures whom I believe were modeled after the Beagle Boys from "Duck Tales." The twists and turns just do not play out well. Why, if Mickey, Donald, and Goofy are given a feature-length movie, does it have to be so brisk? Why not give them a full 90 minutes? This version of "The Three Musketeers" is not bad per se, but I really wanted something special when Mickey, Donald, and Goofy made their big-time debut together.
2 out of 2 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Very cute.
julcltr7 July 2009
Well, there's nothing much to say, but I'll go ahead. This had to be one of Mickey's best direct-to-video movies put together so far. Sure, it may be short, but with Mickey Mouse, you can't go wrong. The characters are put together really well for the story, especially Mickey and Minnie (gee, they make a cute couple, don't you think?), though I wasn't too thrilled about the turtle with french accent, but, oh well. The songs were well thought out, and you can't help but laugh sometimes. I think this will score really well with your little ones and especially Disney fans at the most. R.i.p., Wayne Allwine. Nobody can replace you for Mickey's voice.
Disney's still got it!
FurBallsUnite21 July 2006
I picked this up from the video store not expecting much, but I really was surprised. This is sure to become an instant classic. As usual, Disney has the characterization right-on -- Mickey's the straight, normal guy, Goofy's the clumsy goofball who surprisingly has brief moments of genius, and Donald's the loudmouth with a bad temper. Pete was his usual bad self, and his scenes had me cracking up. For example, when he's preparing for a shower at the beginning, he says to himself, "I've been looking forward to this all month!" The songs are based on melodies from classical music, so they're tolerable and stick in your head afterward. Thank goodness for that, because Disney's music has slipped down the drain in the past several years. The comedy is a little slapstick at parts, but has the classical charm of the old cartoons we grew up on. However, as one reviewer said, the turtle guy at the beginning is a little boring, but the rest of the movie more than makes up for it.

All in all, this story of three underdogs really is worth viewing. It is excellent for kids and adults will actually be able to giggle at some parts and enjoy it, especially since it is reminiscent of old Disney cartoons. I was so impressed that I had my adult brothers watch it, and they were impressed and giggled through the whole thing. This movie is proof that Disney still has the ability to make good movies and that Disney's original characters are still capable of starring in their own films. Highly recommended!
3 out of 4 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
The Beagle Boys steal the film!!
SkippyDevereaux18 August 2004
Cute little Disney film with Mickey, Donald and Goofy as The Three Musketeers, or is that supposed to be Mouseketeers? Ha-ha!! The plotline is about how Peg-leg Pete is trying to kidnap Princess Minnie and claim the throne for himself, with the help of the Beagle Boys, who, as I have said, steal the film. I suppose it is a combination of the way the Beagle Boys' faces are drawn mixed with the actor's voices for these roles. The film has good songs and the first song, I guess it is called The Musketeer Song is a fun little ditty. Peg-leg Pete gets quite a few laughs throughout this film. It is a film for all ages.
Not for all
Prismark107 February 2014
Overlong Disney cheapquel made for DVD and based on the Dumas tale, The Three Musketeers.

Mickey, Donald and Goofy are the Musketeers wannabees in a film where there is spirited use of music but little else. The movie opens with a narrating turtle where our three aspiring heroes plus Pluto are street urchins robbed by masked bandits and saved by the Royal Musketeers who they now want to emulate.

They work as janitors in the palace, dreaming of becoming musketeers but each have flaws. Donald is cowardly, Goofy is goofy and Mickey is too small.

Minnie Mouse is the Princess of France but Captain Pete has plans to take over the kingdom and our hapless trio spring into action.

There is very little spark or wit in the film. You know its not too good when my son started playing with his Nintendo hand-held when watching it on TV.
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Wonderful film for Disney fans of all ages
lemurlou11 October 2004
The classic Disney characters are back in their first "full-length" film! I loved this movie (and I don't even have children). The roles fit Mickey, Donald, and Goofy perfectly -- it's surprising Disney didn't do this story a long time ago. The operettic score was hilarious, especially when there's a sword fight right in the middle of the Pirates of Penzance's "Modern Major General." The story is cute, and since it takes place about 15 years after the famous D'artagnan, Aramis, Athos, and Porthos, no one can complain about Disney's creative license with the story. All the classic Disney characters are part of the cast, with one new supporting character, a tortoise who narrates the story (I like him too, he reminds me a bit of the tortoise in Disney's animated Robin Hood). However, I do have a few logistical complaints. The DVD should have had a commentary, it was poorly advertised, and it should have been a little longer if we're going to claim it as Mickey's first full-length film (it's only 60 minutes, plus 8 minutes of end titles). Also, because it was straight-to-video it has a bit of that low-budget feel to it. (On the other hand, how horrible if they had released it in theaters in CGI animation! Just in case you didn't know, Disney is no longer doing 2D animation for theater releases.)
2 out of 3 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this