IMDb > AVP: Alien vs. Predator (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
AVP: Alien vs. Predator

AVP: Alien vs. Predator More at IMDbPro »

Page 6 of 130: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [16] [Next]

As entertaining as a PG13 of the age can get.

Author: camden2k3 (camden2k3@hotmail.com) from Dallesport Washington
16 August 2004

I am quite a large fan of the Aliens vs. Predator universe. This movie was below my expectations, but not a disappointment. The director, Paul Anderson did a good job on the movie. On IMDb, a 4 (in my eyes) is a good movie unless its boring, and Anderson has a lot of 5's and 6's. He has made some good ones despite what people say. An example is Mortal Kombat. I liked it anyway. One thing about this movie that could have been improved is the lighting. At times it was hard to figure the aliens from the preds. Also, maybe the first two preds shouldn't have died so fast. The aliens shredded them quickly. A little bit more human gore would have been good too. Good directing, for most of it Good acting, Some of the best fight scenes I've seen. 7/10

not as bad as people are saying...

Author: darkshadowkein from Bloomfield, NJ
16 August 2004

I read these boards before seeing the movie, hearing mostly all negative comments, so I was a bit worried, but after having seen it yesterday, It isn't all that bad...

Of course it's not to everyone's expectations, but what is? It was fun, entertaining, and the staple movie which has brought the Aliens and Predators together, if nothing else. It may not have seen great, but just seeing some of the scenes of the Aliens fighting Preds were surreal images I had thought about occurring throughout my childhood. I remember having action figure aliens and preds fight in a WWF ring when i was a kid, and seeing them actually battle on the big screen was cool, at least for me. Now, for my criticism on the negative reviews...

**SPOLIERS**

1: I heard rumors of a 'potential kissing scene' between the Predator and Lex. Seeing the movie, I don't know where people get that idea. AT the end, the Predator merely takes off his mask. then brands lex w/ the alien blood... wtf are people talking about of how they thought they were gonna kiss? i in no way got that feeling.

2: and people say people in the theatre were laughing at some of the corny parts, all the way through to the ending and it was like a comedy. No one in my theatre, including myself, took anything foolishly. we enjoyed the film for what it was, and were not 'chuckling' at its insipidness. everyone seemed to enjoy it. i don't know what people were laughing at...

3: people were like 'it's not scary at all, etc'. the first alien movies were intended to be scary, since you really didn't know what the hell it looked like and where it was lurking, but after 25 years of the same creature in the same corridors, you kinda know what to expect. same thing with freddy vs. jason. they're not intended to be 'scary' 'horror' movies anymore. they're intended to be 'monster' movies, like the classic 'wolfman vs frankenstein', 'king kong vs. godzilla' etc. these are our generation's VS. movies, so just enjoy them for that. They're made to entertain, not to scare.

4: People always trying to compare it to previous Predator or Alien installments, which I suppose in inevitable. of course it's not as good as 'Predator' or 'Aliens', but it's NOT a sequel or even a prequel to either franchise. It is NOT Predator 3 or Alien 5, so don't expect it to be.(both respective movies are still being considered being made). This is the FIRST of a new franchise, 'AVP, part 1' (if there are sequels, that is).

5: of course there are plot holes and stuff, and things everyone would have done differently, but it's not perfect, and you just have to take it as it is. sure it took place in crappy antartica, the camera work was shaky and poor, there was no characterization, and most of the human deaths were off- screen... but for what it was, is was not AWFUL as everyone is making it out to be. if you don't have such high expectations, you shouldn't be all that disappointed.

i just go in to be entertained, and not expect an Oscar-winning, well-acted masterpiece. the first half was boring beyond belief, but the 2nd half was just what you'd expect: aliens fighting predators. that's what the title is, and that's what you pay for. end of story.

This movie was over when it was just getting started!

Author: curtismusheno
15 August 2004

This movie should have been 3 hours long (because if it was, the film-makers would have had enough time to make it excellent). I swear, this movie was over when it was just getting started! All the production is awesome: the aliens, the predators, the humans, the temple, the audio visual effects ~ except the plot moves too slow in the beginning, and too fast at the end! They should have seriously cut the first 20 b-movie minutes, and get straight into the actual A+ AVP story and battle. More real scenes of aliens and predators actually hunting and fighting each other would have been cool, and forgetting to exploit the warrior bonds forged between the main human and predator characters, with real suspenseful action-packed fight scenes within the temple, is a mistake. Nevertheless, the mistakes are seriously forgiven by the alien and predator effects themselves; they're truly amazing. Overall, I like what I see, but I wish the screenplay was better. Good movie, but keep your comics.

Fun!

Author: RobertGDurant from Blue Springs, Vermont
15 August 2004

I enjoyed this movie a lot, but let me begin by saying that it should not be compared to the very first Alien movie. I think that may be the reason so many people dislike this movie so much. People should not expect an intensely frightening, suspenseful movie. It isn't and could never have been as good as the original. However it is exciting, entertaining, and just a generally fun movie. It's a real treat to see these two monster icons square off, and the mythos from both movies are perfectly integrated together. The fights are nicely brutal and the movie will definitely please both Alien and Predator fans, as both creatures get some good blows in. The special effects are great, as they rely far more on advanced animatronics than CGI.

Alien vs. Predator is by no means a great movie. It's got corny dialogue, weak characterization, and a few lame plot elements. It's hokum. But it does give a nice punch in the arm to both movie series, and even has good potential for future Alien and Predator battles. Your expectations for this movie shouldn't be set too high, but I'll guarantee you'll have a good time.

Good, but does not live up to expectations, but that may not have been possible

Author: hobosk8er from Winnipeg, Mb
15 August 2004

ALIEN VS. PREDATOR (2004)***1/2 Sanaa Lathan, Raoul Bova, Lance Henrikson, Ewen Bremmer, Colin Salmon, Tommy Flanagan, Joseph Rye

An Archaeological expedition goes awry when they are attacked by Aliens and Predators in the pyramid they are studying which reconfigures every ten minutes.

Paul W.S. Anderson has created a movie that doesn't quite live up to expectations but that may not have been possible given that as Paul W.S. Anderson has said, for him to live up to the expectations of most die-hard fans, he would have to be Ridley Scott, James Cameron and John Mctiernan Fused into one body.

People often ask about how the predators only hunt in warm temperatures, as is said in the first and second predator movies, then why would they go to Antarctica. There are many possible explanations fore this, like how the cold air would obviously enhance their thermal Vision, or how they say in the movie that ancient maps have shown antartica with no ice, and it may have been a tropical climate and the fact that the predators did not want to jeopardise the general human public in utilising the pyramids in cambodia, Mexico or egypt.

But I would have to say that the movie itself is definitely not all that original, it doest so much follow the previous movies as it mimics them.

The movie as a whole is actually pretty entertaining, and i would not call it a B movie, but it is most definitely not an A one either, i would say it is definitely better than predator 2 and alien3 and alien resurrection but it does not come close to the first2 aliens or predator.

i give it ***1/2 stars and my recommendations on seeing it even if you are not a fan of the genre,if only to fund a sequel to this or the predator series i am disinterested in another alien movie cuz the last 2 sucked, so i give predator one more chance.

Control your expectations and you'll enjoy it.

Author: alpha128 from Cleveland, Ohio
14 August 2004

I have seen all the previous installments in the Alien and Predator series. So I simply had to see this, despite the bad press.

I did not expect this to equal Alien, Aliens, or Predator in quality. Nor should you. I was pleasantly surprised to find that this movie easily surpasses both Alien 3 (which I hated) and Alien 4 (which started well, and completely fell apart by the end). And it's better than Predator 2.

Like many, I was skeptical that Paul W.S. Anderson could pull this off. He succeeds with a film that is enthusiastic, though not groundbreaking.

I think a lot of the negative reaction is from people comparing this to the ultimate AVP movie that they've carried in their heads for years. Making that comparison will only lead to disappointment.

However, if you watch this for what it is, instead of bemoaning what might have been, you will probably enjoy it as I did.

Good but edited to hell

Author: darkened from harrisburg pa
14 August 2004

I am a major fan of the Alien series and when i finally realized AVP was rated pg-13 my immediate response was omg what did they do to it.

Thats my general opinion of the movie it was just way to edited to be released the way it was. Hopefully when the DVD is released they will have the special edition including all the violent content that had to be obscured along with all the other footage that had to have been stripped for it to fit in its run time.

Just like Aliens 3 the theatre release was totally messed up by editing, so is AVP. Its a good movie and a must see if your an Aliens fan but otherwise I'd almost have to recommend waiting until the DVD is released.

Great movie, just too short.

Author: Fred from VA
14 August 2004

If not for the PG-13 rating and the length, this could have easily been this years best movie ( IMO). I gave it 4 out of 5 (high 7 out of 10 here). The Predators are just the baddest mofos ever, and the aliens, well they are the 2nd baddest mofos out there.

Read no further...spoilers....

Interesting the relationship between Predators and humans. I would like to have seen more of that. I thought it was funny how quickly the scientist chick and the Predator teamed up to kick the aliens arses. Also the aliens seemed to be punked out bad in this movie. Breeded to be hunted by the Predators? Come on! Without the weapons and armor, the Predators are overmatched against the "Serpents". Go see this movie, most of you will be at least little enjoyed.

You will enjoy it if you accept it for what it is.

Author: Eternal1976 (acastellino@hotmail.com) from Columbus, OH
14 August 2004

For what it's worth, AVP is not that bad a movie. In fact, it's pretty enjoyable if you just accept it as a simple mindless excursion from reality; a type of movie I call junk food for the brain.

Predators (or Yautja, for the dire-hard fans) come to Earth once a century to hunt aliens as a blooding ritual. There hunting ground for this is an ancient pyramid under the Antarctic ice, but a ground of scientists have discovered the temple and are now caught in the middle of the fight.

Simple story, not particularly great acting (but not terrible, either). The plot felt a bit rushed, but good special effects and relatively exciting battles between the predators and aliens make it enjoyable. Worth the price of a early show, at the least.

So much potential so little results

Author: jimmyolsenblues from United States
14 August 2004

I have waited for 13 years to see this movie. I was so pysched. The first 3/4 are boring, the last 1/4 is a good movie. Just when you are are all excited, it ends. Really makes you want to see an AvP2. They really tried to re-write a lot of mythos. There were major plot holes. Making you wonder how much of what happened in this movies affects the first 4 Alien movies. One mistake is a how easy it is for the Predators to die. These are inexperienced Predators. It makes you wish for more plot and less scenary. A lot of time is spent just analyzing the Pyramid. Its called Alien vs Predator, not The Pyramid. The writer thought the movie is more about a pyramid then the mythos of Aliens and Predator. I wish there was more plot. I wish they explained more about why the Predator's do this. I wish it wasn't so easy to figure out what was going to happen. I wish the final cliff hanger happened in the first 20 minutes. Oh well. I still enjoyed myself. Thanks for reading!