AVP: Alien vs. Predator (2004) Poster

1,296 ReviewsOrdered By: Helpfulness
Great set-design and action - terrible dialogue
gogoschka-124 October 2013
Just watched it again yesterday - it's striking how good the action is compared to the ridiculous dialogue. I completely understand why this movie got such terrible reviews; after all, it marked the first "let's make a quick buck" entry in the two beloved Alien and Predator franchises and was done by a director who many felt didn't treat the material with the respect it deserved. When I watched it yesterday I got angry at times because some of the dialogue - well, most of it, actually - is truly awful. It's hard to take characters or a story seriously when nearly every sentence spoken resembles lines from a parody of cheap science-fiction and horror movies from the fifties and sixties. But despite all those flaws I have to admit I enjoyed the movie from start to finish - because of the amazing set- and creature-design and the more than decent action sequences and special effects. Whoever designed those really scored and seems to have a great love for the art of Giger and the previous films. So if you can get past the silly characters and you're able to ignore the more obvious shortcomings (like the idiotic decision to make the film PG-13) you're in for a fun ride. My vote: 6.5 out of 10.

Favorite films: http://www.IMDb.com/list/mkjOKvqlSBs/

Lesser-known Masterpieces: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls070242495/

Favorite Low-Budget and B-Movies: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls054808375/

Favorite TV-Shows reviewed: http://www.imdb.com/list/ls075552387/
71 out of 75 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Unjustly panned by critics and fans
amesmonde9 March 2010
A team assembled by a billionaire investigate a heat signal that reveals a pyramid below the surface of a whaling station in Antarctic. However, the pyramid is a hunting ground for Predators who kill Aliens as a rite of passage and the team find themselves caught in the middle of their hunt.

It shouldn't have been mixed, Paul W.S. Anderson's AVP: Alien vs. Predator was more so unjustly panned by critics and fans due to the hype and anticipation. It has the feeling of an Alien film, a great premise, good cinematography, some amazing effects and a fine score.

Paul W.S. Anderson is successful in bringing the franchises together, respecting ideas from both Alien and Predator movies. I haven't seen a bad film that he's made and I'm not sure why there is such a geek gang hatred against the mans work. The ever-improving Uwe Boll he is not! The strong leads include Sanaa Lathan as the heroine and Raoul Bova. However, unfortunately actors Carsten Norgaard as Rusten Quinn and Tommy Flanagan as Mark Verheiden disappear far too early. Overall the acting is good, Lance Henrikson shows up as the 'real' Bishop but some of the characters lack development and the editing feels choppy in places.

The Predators and Aliens look great apart from some badly executed CGI. It not Ridley Scott or John McTiernan, but Paul Anderson pulls off the almost impossible task of putting these to aliens together on screen.

If there was not an Alien or Predator film prior to this it may have been haled as a science fiction adventure classic, but alas that's not the case.
36 out of 44 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not sure why it got such a bad mark from most people
fiore22 August 2009
I went into this expecting a horrible movie. From all the reviews that I read I thought it would be HORRIBLE! I've seen many, many worse movies than this.

A previous comment stated the movie went a bit too fast in explaining things and developing the characters. While I can certainly agree on the former, the latter, well, you just know most of the people are going to get wasted so character development isn't that necessary. We came to see Predators hunt and fight with Aliens.

One thing I didn't like was the movie showed the Aliens more powerful than the Predators. I believe the canon shows the Predators are much more powerful than the Aliens. Regardless, I liked this movie.

This movie surprised me because there were many things I didn't expect. Were some scenes over the top? Absolutely, but this is Hollywood and we're talking Aliens V Predator here :) IF you are a fan of these genres you really should give this movie a chance.
45 out of 63 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
In a difficult scenario Paul W.S. Anderson succeeded.
Mauro Cosentino20 December 2004
Alien Versus Predator starts great and then it gets better and better. We have the two deadliest space monsters of the last twenty years and thankfully they are not involved in a production full of clichés.

Paul W.S Anderson is not afraid of risk. When the easier thing to do would be showing the creatures killing some humans from the first seconds of AVP and minutes later have them killing each other for an hour, the director creates suspense and develop the main characters without losing the rhythm of the movie.

The story has interesting characters (Lance Henriksen as Charles Bishop Weyland is a real sign of respect for the fan). It is highly remarkable that the cast involved play intelligent adults, luckily there's no high school students; so many years have gone since the last sequel of Alien and Hollywood could perfectly spoil it again using people like Sarah Michelle Gellar or Matthew Lillard. The way the script uses the strong elements of both mythologies is very clever as it is the display of personality of the main Predator. After all, Predators are a extraterrestrials with more sophisticated technology than humans, they don't communicate with the earthlings until they prove to be worthy the communication.

Almost all of the action movies use and abuse CGI nowadays but AVP uses these FX wisely mixing them with puppets, that results in a film not just a video-game. The results are bombastic in that aspect, and there's enough blood from the Aliens and Predators to satisfy the thirst from gore fans.

And what about the confrontation of the ugly-faced stars? Unforgettable. AVP has some of the most powerful images created in any of these franchises mainly in the confrontation sequences.
31 out of 45 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Not as bad as some people make out
shakermakerman9 September 2007
Reading some of the harsh reviews I thought I would comment. The big disappointment for me in the movie was the lack of gore , fox did get it wrong to make it a pg13 even though they tried to substitute it with monster gore. All that being said this movie is a visual master-peace, the effects are top notch with very good fight scenes and creature effects with the best looking Alien Queen to hit the screens, The story is pretty cool and it gives more insight of the Predators, It takes a while for the introduction of the creatures but once the ball is rolling its none stop action. Not the horror feast we all wanted but fun.
56 out of 87 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
MovieAddict201613 August 2004
We don't go to see movies about dueling alien species for deep themes and intricate character development, but a little sympathy would be nice. I didn't feel any sympathy for the characters in 'Alien vs. Predator' because they were all unlikable clichés: The Heroine, The Hero, The Nerd, The Tomboy, The Gruff Leader, et al. These carbon cut out characters we've seen in hundreds of other films are all assembled together by Charles Bishop Weyland (Lance Henriksen) in 'AvP' to venture into the Antarctic, where they uncover an ancient pyramid recently discovered by Weyland's multi-million dollar satellites hovering about in space.

The movie is based, of course, upon the iconic 'Alien' and 'Predator' films – the rights to which are both owned by Fox Studios. The concept for the project originated with 'Predator 2' (1990), when a cop (played by Danny Glover) ventured into a Predator spaceship. There, in the 'trophy room,' was the distinct skull of an Alien.

This small in-joke reference (similar to that of Freddy Kruger's claw appearing in the 'Evil Dead' sequel) sparked a phenomenon of fans speculating as to the meaning behind the very brief big-screen insinuation. And due to strong requests, the two fictional species were finally united together for a string of comic books, videogames, novels and action figures in the early-'90s. By the year 2002, 'Alien vs. Predator' had become one of Fox's most profitable off-screen franchises. So, it was only reasonable to demand a film be made. By October 2003, production was underway, with sets in Prague being assembled.

And the film's director, Paul W. S. Anderson, has always excelled at set design. In 'Event Horizon' he perfectly captured the dark essence of the 'Alien' series; with 'Resident Evil' he managed to mimic the Gothic structure of all great zombie movies. But, to be honest, that's about it. He's never been any good at three other vital elements of film-making: story, characters and direction. 'Alien vs. Predator' –- a project that took 14 astonishing years to bring to the big screen (longer than 'Freddy vs. Jason') –- doesn't do much to change this.

Yes, his set design here is fantastic (it's no surprise that a great amount of pre-production work went into creating these enormous surroundings). The pyramid is buried deep within the wastelands of the Antarctic (2,000 feet, actually), which provides us with some great cinematography and stages.

The plot could have used extra work, though. After venturing deep into the pyramid, the team of scientists soon realizes that the pyramid is –- surprise, surprise! –- actually the home of an alien hive. And furthermore, a pack of teenaged Predators -- on an annual 'manhood' hunting ritual -- are there, too, and they begin to draw the humans into their fight, using them as bait.

The movie's cast is comprised of many newcomers and they are all unimpressive. Sanaa Lathan ('Out of Time'), as Alexa, the heroine, is rather annoying. Raoul Bova, playing the hero Sebastian, is the most likable of the characters, but even then, he's simply no Arnold.

Furthermore, the dialogue is completely lame. Sure, 'Predator' had lame dialogue too ('Knock, knock!') but at least it was funny and delivered with charisma. This movie unfortunately takes itself way too seriously. I've heard many people quote lines from 'Predator' over the years ('I ain't got time to bleed!' being a popular one). I can't imagine anyone ever *wanting* to quote dialogue from this film.

Even Henriksen seems like he's just in it for the paycheck. (His character, Charles 'Bishop' Weyland, is the billionaire who – according to 'Alien' mythology -- creates the Bishop androids seen in 'Aliens' and 'Alien 3,' which are modeled after his own image.) Is it any coincidence that the only returning cast member from either series of films happens to be the same actor whose career has devolved into straight-to-video duds recently?

However, kudos must be handed to "'AvP's' creature effects artists (mainly Tom Woodruff, Jr.). I had expected lots of CGI, but there are also many close-ups of the Predators and Aliens played by thankless actors in suits (and some good IL'-fashioned animatronics). Kevin Peter Hall (the original Predator) passed away shortly after the release of the film's sequel, but Anderson has comprised an acceptable team of replacements (most of the actors being some seven feet tall!).

That, and the set design, and one or two OK action sequences, makes 'AvP' adequate for 'regular' cinema-goers expecting nothing more. If you're just looking for the average Saturday night blow-'em-up action flick, you could certainly do worse. But, for any true die-hard fans of the films, this movie continually disappoints – and worst of all, due to its restrictive PG-13 rating, the fights (which take place all too often and rapidly become boring) are all over the place. We are not 'allowed' to see anything, which hinders the flow of the film. There was more violence than I had expected, but still not enough. (For the record, 'AvP' is the only film from either of the two series to ever receive an under-R rating.) After negative test screenings, Fox Studios decided to go against the will of the film's own director and brutally chop the movie apart so that it could fit into a more marketable age demographic. (So, the awkward flow in many of the sequences cannot be entirely contributed to Anderson's directing skills.) The day the official rating was released, fans across the world united online to protest it. I can't say I blame them.

I had personally been looking forward to seeing this movie for quite some time now, being a fan of both 'Alien' (1979) and 'Predator' (1987). Yet I tried to view 'AvP' unbiased, and judge it on its own terms, as a movie, and not particularly a sequel. It was a difficult task, but the truth of the matter is that the film – as a stand-alone project – is still not particularly enthralling. With its shameful rating, poor acting, awful writing and mediocre direction, 'AvP' disappoints the fans at every turn, and will probably leave non-fans feeling a little wishy-washy. Fox has taken two of their greatest franchises and turned them into a joke. 'AvP' is nothing more than typical action fare which, all considered, isn't much of a compliment at all.

2.5/5
377 out of 676 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
As much as you hate it, I love it MORE. Spoilers.
x2WGaK_Productionsx15 August 2004
So there is this book out there, by a wonderful writer named Stephen Perry. He wrote and Alien vs. Predator book years ago. I loved the book. I loved it, and obviously lots of other people did too because it was turned into a large graphic novel.

So what does this have to do with the movie? It's the same awesome story! Sure there are differences, but basically, it's the same story about clan respect and the thrill of the hunt.

This one has a group of three "preteen" predators out on their trip to man hood, a group of would-be scientists, and a group of "freezer burnt" aliens.

The hunt commences, and action ensues!

As for the spoilers - here they are. The predator/human relationship. How many people thought it was supposed to be some kind of stupid love story! IT WASN'T! In the book, this was explained a little better I think, and would be a lot easier for others to understand. It's a show of respect. He accepts her as a predator because she kills an alien. In the book - the predator she saves was originally one of the high ranking predators. He's ended up on his own, and the girl saves his life. In show of mutual clan respect, the Predator marks her, and they go on fighting "the good fight" so to speak.

either way - loved the movie. If you hated it, give me your extra tickets and I'll go see it again!
61 out of 100 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Sheepdom at its finest
weisstein15 October 2006
Another great movie spoiled by bad initial critique. And most people jumping on the bandwagon. They moved production of this movie out of Hollywood and lots of people virtually lost jobs to some east European studios where they shot most of the scenes. Lots of anger was present in Hollywood about this, no surprise that initial reviews were strictly negative. This movie is superb in nearly all aspects I watched it more times then all the prequels combined. I like the lead actress and Henriksen as Bishop Weyland, some crew man are actually more interesting then the crew in some Alien prequels, and of course the CGI is finally watchable and say state of the art, not some lame blinking LEDs all over.
47 out of 78 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this
Great combination of the two series
iiiandviii14 August 2004
Spoilers I thought they way the two series were brought together was about as well as it could have been. Going back in time before the Alien series began was fine with me setting up the Wayland Industry future development of synthetic humans and modeling them after the company's founder as a way to remember him and honor him fits well with his characters fear of not being remembered in the future after he's gone. i hope in future AVP movies the first of the prototypes again brings Lance back to his role again and again.

I've seen comments that the preds were not impressive. I'd say they were as impressive as in any other pred movie. This time, the aliens were much more impressive than in most of the movies. Alien intelligence was well displayed in this movie. The preds continuing to show "sportsmanship" in the hunt continues through both pred movies into this one which i think is a great link. Respect for a human who got a kill as well as mercy for the sick (unarmed people in both pred movies as well as a pregnant woman in pred 2) at least until the sick directly attacked the pred himself. I hated to see the first two preds taken out so quickly but the first was in the middle of conflict with the humans and let his guard down and was suspect to a sneak attack from behind. i thought the movie was great. much more interesting than the second pred movie and most of the Alien movies.

OK, one plot hole that i hated was the idea of a 2000 foot thick ice covering when the distance from the top of the ice (whaling village) was only a couple of hundred feet above the surface of the water (early scene looking down from water tower as well as later scene from same location). since it is an island, that means land is at least at the waters edge meaning not only is the pyramid below ice, but well below land as well. that cliff at the water tower should have been 2000 feet tall if the pyramid was that deep under ice but the perspective of the view and the size of the humans in the shot proved it wasn't near that high although the water was amazingly deep to be right next to shore of an island.
8 out of 10 found this helpful. Was this review helpful? | Report this