IMDb > AVP: Alien vs. Predator (2004) > Reviews & Ratings - IMDb
AVP: Alien vs. Predator

AVP: Alien vs. Predator More at IMDbPro »

Page 5 of 126: [Prev][1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [9] [10] [11] [12] [13] [14] [15] [Next]

Whoever watches…they lose (spoilers)

Author: Ricky Roma (thepestilence001@yahoo.co.uk) from http://rioranchofilmreviews.blogspot.com/
30 April 2006

I never thought a film would come along that would be so bad it would make Alien: Resurrection look like a masterpiece. But Paul W.S. Anderson has succeeded in performing that dark miracle, for Aliens Vs. Predator (or AVP for short) is a complete stinker.

You know the film is in trouble about two minutes in. There's a scene where Alexa, the main character, is climbing an icefall. Her phone rings and she actually answers it. Then when she gets to the top, and while she's still talking, she sees the person on the other end of the line standing right before her next to a helicopter. However, in the establishing shot only a few seconds earlier there was no helicopter in sight. How the hell did it get there without her hearing it? Very stupid.

Just as stupid is another's character's ridiculous intelligence. There's an Italian archaeologist who's been hired by Bishop to look at this pyramid that's been found under the ice. No sooner has he been shown a poor computer model than he's proclaiming the style is a mixture of various ancient cultures and that this pyramid therefore must be the first pyramid ever made. He's quick. And he's just as quick in the pyramid itself. He reads hieroglyphics like's he's reading the daily newspaper, he knows the meaning of each room that's contained in the pyramid ("this is the sacrificial chamber", he says after being in the room for about a second) and he even understands the building's inner workings. This last bit leads to another moment of absurdity. The archaeologist proclaims that the Aztecs used the metric system, therefore the moving parts of the pyramid must change every ten minutes. Since when did the metric system have anything to do with time? And since when did the Aztecs use minutes? Did they wear wristwatches?

But one of the worst scenes is when the archaeologist and Alexa get stuck in a room. Again the archaeologist reads the hieroglyphics like he's thumbing the daily paper and spins a yarn about the Predators teaching man how to build temples and create a civilisation. You see, Rastafarian aliens taught us everything we know. Kill me.

But for sheer stupidity there's one moment that trumps everything else. A character is in the sacrificial chamber and he drops a glow stick down into the room below. Then later we see Alexa and a couple of other people wander into this room. She looks at her GPS watch and proclaims that this room must be directly below the sacrificial chamber…with the glow stick just a couple of feet ahead of her! Cocking Christ almighty.

Just as annoying as all this, though, is Anderson's fanboy attempts to doff his dunce's cap at the previous Alien and Predator films. 'Look, it's Lance Henriksen! Listen, one of the characters says, "You are one ugly mother…" See, I made a satellite look like an Alien Queen. Oh, how I respect the heritage of these fine franchises.' Too bad he couldn't provide the film with a decent script, memorable characters or exciting action.

And I guess it's the action that hammers the final nail into the film's coffin. After all, it could have been at least tolerable if the action had been half-decent. Instead it's total crap. Take the fights between the Predators and the Aliens. They're more homoerotic than the naked fight between Oliver Reed and Alan Bates in Women in Love. Of course you don't get to see any floppy bits flapping about, but you do get to see an injured Alien flick it's tail and lots of acid into the face of a Predator in a very camp manner (I can imagine Anderson patting himself on the back at how innovative he is). And there's another hilarious bit when an Alien is injured on the floor. It reminded me of a scene in The Simpsons where Homer is negotiating with Mr Burns to get the dental plan back. When Homer wins he lies down on the floor and walks circles on his side. The Alien in this film does the exact same thing. Stupid Alien.

But even the penguins in this film overact. There's a scene where Ewen Bremmer gets spooked in an abandoned whaling outpost. Of course, we get the standard 'BOO, there's someone behind you moment' and then when Spud insists that there's something else in the room with them, a penguin waddles out. It's more of an old ham than the Alien.

And I feel sorry for Ewan Bremmer. He gets to play some bland sap that keeps going on about his kids. Of course he dies, which is the only good thing he does. But the other characters are dull, too. Alexa, in particular, is a waste of space. I can imagine that Anderson thought he was shattering genre conventions by making the hero a black woman, but he completely forgot to add colour to her character (and everyone else for that matter).

Almost as frustrating as this is the fact that we don't even get the pleasure of seeing these people die horribly; Anderson keeps violence at arms length – he cuts away from every screen death. And also, because his crap story requires it, people give birth to Aliens in about half an hour rather than the hours or days it used to take. Oh, and now facehuggers jump in bullet-time. Wait a second while I weep… And on top of that, the main Predator in this film has an incredibly goofy face. Somehow make-up has got worse over the last twenty years or so. But what made me laugh/cry the most was the final shot: dead Predator gives birth to Predi-Alien. As if the hunchback yellow turd Newborn Alien in Alien: Resurrection wasn't bad enough…

This could have been awesome

Author: eye_photographer from At my desk
13 April 2006

This is a pretty fun movie - and it can stand on its own without the previous Predator or Alien movies, mostly because there is really no story - but should have been much better.

Some spoilers ahead......

This movie could have tied together all of the Alien and Predator films. For example, the Predator's ship should have looked like the Derilect in the original Alien. Considering how the movie ended, this would have been perfect.

By adding a few minutes (maybe more) to the movie, they should have has Weyland figure out what the Predators were doing (without letting the crew know, of course) in the hopes of catching an Alien while the hunt resumes. Of course, the accidental triggering of the pyramid was unavoidable and the movie could continue on as originally planned.

This would have solidified the motivations of Weyland-Yutani in the other Alien films.

So close........but still fun to watch.

Annoyingly average

Author: TensersFloatingDisk
15 December 2005

This is an average flick. Average camera work, average acting, average special effects, average plot.

That shouldn't be troublesome, but it is, given that this movie draws from two important, and well-established, science-fiction/horror mythologies. There was a lot more to work with here than the scriptwriters seem to have realized. Any of the Dark Horse comic series which revolved around Alien/Predator, and even some of the novels which were penned as tie-ins, made better use of the available material.

Where we should be getting a gritty exploration of how humans make their way between two extreme threats, and how we navigate lose-lose situations, instead we get a routine thriller with few actual thrills, and oddly slow pacing. Extended shots of the antarctic tundra, where there ought to be tense standoffs between humans and their interests and the aims of the two alien species. A waste of good potential.

Big disappointment

Author: ALIEN from Romania
1 September 2005

Compared to the other movies of its kind ( ALIEN series and Predator series) it is a very bad movie. Anyway i loved the special effects and the battles between Alien & Predator. The movie has many mistakes. Its too short (less than 2 hours). I am a big fan of AVP productions, and I've expected much more from this movie. The storyline is boring. I hoped it will be inspired from the 2 video games : AvP1 and AvP2. The movie was made in a hurry, and thats why its a big disappointment. I waited for the movie to apear for a long time, I've been dreaming day and night about it. I just hope the next AVP movie ( if its going to be one) to be much better.

Fun Sci-Fi film for fans of Alien and Predator

Author: Bataeu from Australia
29 May 2005

I went out and saw this film with an open mind. I'm a huge fan of the Alien and Predator movies, and when I heard that the film was coming out I was ecstatic. I had no idea what to expect, because there have been so many Alien vs Predator stories floating about. The games, the books, the graphic novels...

What I was presented with was an enjoyable movie that kept me entertained. Of course it had it's typical "horror" cliché's, as demonstrated by the penguin shuffling around the kitchen making the audience think it was a face-hugger. But that made it all the more fun. I absolutely loved the idea that the Predators used the Aliens for training. Paul Anderson done a fantastic job with the film.

I've heard people complain about the film, but it's just another monster movie. It's like any monster movie. If you watch it just for fun, then you will enjoy it. I think the main mistake people made was that they were expecting a film that was like the game. As I mentioned earlier, Alien vs Predator has had a lot of different styles/plots. You can't just focus on one telling and call it the original idea. Paul Anderson has just made yet another story and style with his film.

I give it a solid 10/10.

A wasted opportunity

Author: Corky1984 from England
20 April 2005

AVP could have been one of the best films ever made...however it must be considered one of the worst. Fans expecting plenty of action and violence will be very disappointed by this stale offering. It has obviously been heavily watered down to get a lower rating, thus allowing younger people to see it. This was a mistake. The film should have been an 18, no question. The Alien and Predator monsters are still fantastic creatures, but in AVP you get the feeling that they are barely exerting themselves. There is a distinct lack of blood and gore, and nowhere near enough firepower. The original Alien and Predator movies had all that in bucketfulls, AVP has a few lame action sequences, too many of them ending quickly and cutting away before the real violence can be seen. As for the cast, only the great Lance Henrikson adds anything to the movie, but he is underused. The rest are all Z-listers who can't act their way out of a paper bag. The wordplay is dire and you soon find yourself wishing they would all be eaten by the aliens! The plot is also poor. AVP suffers because Sigourney, Arnie and Danny Glover are all absent. One of them should have been included. AVP is a wasted opportunity that will leave true action fans cold. Don't bother with it, it only tarnishes the franchise.

Excellent film - Paul Anderson knows what he is doing....

Author: giomanombre from Canada
17 February 2005

Paul Anderson's RE and AVP have a few things in common: 1) Pyramids - RE: It was an inverted pyramid, known as the Hive underneath Racoon city.

AVP: It is a pyramid underneath Antartica.

2) The Queen Bee: RE: Red Queen is the computer system behind the Hive.

AVP: The Queen Alien, is at the centre of the Pyramid.

The action sequences are the same - just one contains undead flesh-eating zombies, cougars, and Lickers, while the other contains Aliens and Preditors.

I do not think that you could have got a better director to put an Alien vs. Predator's movie together. When I saw AVP, I was thinking that this looks very similar to RE with a few character/story-line variables.

Sigh. . .

Author: Lomax-14 from United States
5 April 2007

I wanted this movie to be good. I wanted it to be good, so bad. I wanted it to be the coolest in the set of aliens and the predator series. But it turned out to be such a flop. This Movie started out in a rather interesting fashion. I was into it. But than all of a sudden it just went to crap. . . My guess, is that they were all very excited to make this movie. Got there early and started out strong. . . than lunch hit, they left took a nap got back to the office late and really wanted to beat traffic to get home in time to see the Simpson's. So they looked at the clock, freaked out and threw the last hour of the movie together in less than 45 mins. I want to know what went through there minds, when they relied they had a summit climber out run a queen alien. I wonder to myself if they meant to tack on a slight love interest between the head predator an the lead heroin. Along with there "dialog" involving the explaining of the wrist bomb. . . I wish they would have taken the time to actually finish the movie they started.

You don't mix red wine with white wine and make beer out of it.

Author: scndsky from Belgium
24 September 2005

Another movie-saga reached out for the devil's cash. For the 2,5 people that were waiting for a new Alien movie - where again a lot of details about the life-cycle of the creature "alien" are brought in question and contradict with previous movies - I have have some extraordinary good news: this happy meal-movie contradicts even more! (this mustn't be defined as a spoiler(!), because you of course already knew that predators stood on the base of the Egyptian culture).

These series of attached images which we sadly enough must describe as "movie", destroys without any form of shame everything about both much beloved movies "Alien" and "Predator", and the story of AVP even gives "Power Rangers The Movie" a very believable touch.

As if Sauron (the evil of "Lord Of The Rings") would be used as pet toy by King Kong: you don't mix red wine with white wine and make beer out of it. People who make movies like this should be banned in movie business for life.

Disgustingly disappointing

Author: Ruatha from United Kingdom
19 May 2005

Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. First of all two directors is 1 too many and it shows. both the Aliens and Predator films have a decidedly dark feel to them, smash the two together and you get something akin to dark chocolate mixed with ovaltine - sickening.

There is no plot here - you'll know whats going to happen in the first half hour of the film, which basically exists to set the scene for some pointless and predictable battle scenes, which are anything but dramatic. there is 1 "relationship" twist in the story which is nice, but other than that....uck.

Given the past "installments" fans were expecting something much grander, much more cinematic as opposed to something set in a dingey corner of the earth. I'd rather they had'nt done this at all, now its like that elevator music that I can't get out of my head.